• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
All I'm saying about Dan is that if he doesn't have the ability to use The Legendary Taunt in Smash what's the ****ing point
Of course, that's his Final Smash. It's the only one in the entire game that doesn't do any damage at all, and it's also the only one that can be interrupted for any reason. 2 series firsts! Dan should be proud.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Going off of this, I'm going to try and compile a list of each represented companies' biggest possible series. Please do review this list; I want to make sure it's accurate. Bold is already represented in the base game, italics are a maybe, strikethrough has post-launch content. Fighters who got a DLC pack. are strikethrough'd and bolded, as are companies who got a pack in FP2 specifically. I'll take interviews and such into account later.

Konami
  • Metal Gear
    • Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
  • Castlevania - Already covered, very extensively I must add. Not sure there's much left that count feasibly be added at this point.
  • Bomberman
  • Frogger
  • Contra
Sega (Atlus)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
    • Eggman Empire - Not necessarily a subseries or game, but is a side of the series that hasn't been covered yet
  • Persona
    • Shin Megami Tensei - Ironic that it's listed under Pesona, when it's the other way around
  • Yakuza
  • Puyo Puyo
  • Sakura Wars
Capcom
  • Mega Man
    • Mega Man X
    • Mega Man Battle Network
    • Mega Man Legends
  • Street Fighter
    • Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
    • Street Fighter IV
  • Monster Hunter
    • Only a boss; Full pack isn't out of the running
    • Monster Hunter Rise
  • Resident Evil, also known as Biohazard in Japan...
  • Devil May Cry
  • Ace Attorney
Bandai-Namco
  • Pac-Man
  • Tekken
  • Tales
  • Dark Souls
  • Digimon
Square Enix (Taito)
  • Final Fantasy
  • Dragon Quest
  • Tomb Raider
  • Nier: Automata
  • Space Invaders
  • Bubble Bobble
Microsoft (Rare, various indies)
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Minecraft
  • Cuphead
  • Halo
SNK
  • Fatal Fury
    • King of Fighters
  • Samurai Shodown
  • Metal Slug
Again, feel free to review this list and give me some suggestions. I want to make this one a definitive list.
Here's the obligatory "Cuphead isn't a Microsoft IP" post

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
I mean yeah that can make sense but his name is literally Ganon.

View attachment 298546

Like, you're saying Zero from MMX can't work but somehow MMZ Zero could.
And that can't be changed to have parentheses as some spirits? Nevermind that Smash has already acknowledged Ganon multiple times through content, purely over design. It's just that it's missing the most consistent one that's been there since the series' genesis. Or the fact we have three flipping Links and two Marios, that don't even attempt to distinguish from each in unique movesets.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I highly doubt "pig" Ganon can make it to playable status in Ultimate. Especially not after that not so subtle backhand that Zelda was given in Byleth's exhibition.

It's just that's some shakey you can't have another "Ryu" reasoning.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Mario of the Wild.
So what you're saying is... BotW2 will feature Cat Link?

Yeah, Dan's shtick has changed slightly over the years to the point where he's good enough to actually expect to win eventually, but still bad enough that you feel silly for losing to him, and it looks like his current thing is going to be having a silly gimmick that's as fun as it is impractical, but I'd imagine Super Smash Bros. would go back to the comically bad angle since that's what he's known for. He might even be an Echo Fighter down the road since his moveset changes don't matter balancing wise; he's supposed to be undertuned anyway.

I can just see his Gadouken going just far enough to hit Dan if it's reflected, and not a single bit farther.
To quote a SF commentator: "once you start thinking 'why am I losing to Dan', you've already lost to Dan".

But really, if Dan ever gets in, I say go crazy, go stupid. Give him a taunt that deals massive damage and knockback if you hit a certain sweetspot, incorporate poses in-between moves (like his SFV appearance will do), the whole package.

Kinda wish we could have him and Waluigi duke it out, really, especially with the latter's RNG Dice Block and Up-Air spike in Smash Flash 2.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Rean over Estelle? That sounds rather mean, not just for the rhyme, but because I'm not gonna ****in play through 7 ****in Trails games in a few months, probably not even in a ****ing yeah lmao
I only said Rean because of recency bias and Cold Steel but Estelle fits this theory just as well,

In fact this Cold Steel IV thing affects all Trails content because Cold Steel 4 has 39 playable characters meaning that the promotional aspect is not just limited to Rean.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If we're disqualifying Samurai Showdown for the one or two songs that came with Terry, then Metal Slug should get the same treatment. Not sure I entirely agree with doing so, but it's best to be consistent.
There's also the Haohmaru and Nakoruru Spirits in Terry's board, plus a Nakoruru Mii, which I'd consider a bit more than Metal Slug. Since the latter didn't get much content, I tentatively left it blank.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Sega (Atlus)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
    • Eggman Empire - Not necessarily a subseries or game, but is a side of the series that hasn't been covered yet
  • Persona
    • Shin Megami Tensei - Ironic that it's listed under Pesona, when it's the other way around
  • Yakuza
  • Puyo Puyo
  • Sakura Wars
Nitpicking a bit, but Puyo is bigger than Yakuza if you were ordering it that way.

Also Bayonetta should be here, right?

Street Fighter
  • Street Fighter IV
Street Fighter Alpha should also be here, even though it does have some spirits already.

I would probably italicize Digimon since its viability is kind of a point of contention, being most well known for being a digital pet. I think it's viable if they wanted to but it just makes it a little less clear cut.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Cold Steel 4 has 39 playable characters
Jesus **** how in the goddamn is that possible when ****ing 8 seemed like plenty. What, is CS4's gimmick EVERYONE IS HERE or something?

Also the rep's gonna be Lloyd. Smash fans get confused why he's not red with dual blades, Falcom fans get confused as how the **** are they gonna promote Crossbelle in the west

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The leak imply that she was replace by Ken because he was simpler to develop, in the same way that Decidueye was considered, but "replaced" by Incineroar.
I’m pretty sure that rumour implied Chun-Li wasn’t just considered, but scrapped in the same vein as Hero. Decidueye was never really scrapped or “replaced”, it was merely the fact the Pokemon slot was narrowed between it and Incineroar and the latter won out. She was mentioned in the same vein as Hero and Steve, which seems to suggest the rumour implied the same fate that happened to them happened to her.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Going off of this, I'm going to try and compile a list of each represented companies' biggest possible series. Please do review this list; I want to make sure it's accurate. Bold is already represented in the base game, italics are a maybe, strikethrough has post-launch content. Fighters who got a DLC pack. are strikethrough'd and bolded, as are companies who got a pack in FP2 specifically. I'll take interviews and such into account later.

Konami
  • Metal Gear
  • Castlevania - Already covered, very extensively I must add. Not sure there's much left that count feasibly be added at this point.
  • Bomberman
  • Frogger
  • Contra
Sega (Atlus)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Persona
  • Yakuza
  • Puyo Puyo
  • Sakura Wars
Capcom
  • Mega Man
    • Mega Man X
    • Mega Man Battle Network
    • Mega Man Legends
  • Street Fighter
    • Street Fighter IV
  • Monster Hunter
    • Only a boss; Full pack isn't out of the running
    • Monster Hunter Rise
  • Resident Evil, also known as Biohazard in Japan...
  • Devil May Cry
  • Ace Attorney
Bandai-Namco
  • Pac-Man
  • Tekken
  • Tales
  • Dark Souls
  • Digimon
Square Enix (Taito)
  • Final Fantasy
  • Dragon Quest
  • Tomb Raider
  • Nier: Automata
  • Space Invaders
  • Bubble Bobble
Microsoft (Rare, various indies)
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Minecraft
  • Cuphead
  • Halo
SNK
  • Fatal Fury
    • King of Fighters
  • Samurai Shodown
  • Metal Slug
Again, feel free to review this list and give me some suggestions. I want to make this one a definitive list.
I would add Taiko no tatsujin in the Bandai namco category. It has a huge following in Japan and it has many crossover with Nintendo. It's smaller than Tales of, Tekken and Dark souls, but if we're talking game only I would say it's around Digimon.

For Sega, there's actually Total war who's not really mentionned because it's a pc game but it's very big. It's actually bigger than Yakuza and Sakura wars.

Also for Square enix there's Kingdom hearts, but probably hard to add because of Disney.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Nitpicking a bit, but Puyo is bigger than Yakuza if you were ordering it that way.
I kinda just put them in in order of when they came to mind.
Also Bayonetta should be here, right?
Maybe? Apparently she was chosen in advance and I'm not sure how popular she actually was backin the ballot days, so I wasn't sure if she was a Banjo situation or not with the popularity.
Street Fighter Alpha should also be here, even though it does have some spirits already.
I assumed SF3 and SF4 were the biggest; The former for competitive popularity and the latter for reinvigorating the fighting game industry. Though, I might also include SFV for the recency.
I would probably italicize Digimon since its viability is kind of a point of contention, being most well known for being a digital pet. I think it's viable if they wanted to but it just makes it a little less clear cut.
Mainly italicizing was for series that aren't as big as the competitors and were a bit shaky in their status as "biggest possible candidates," and I was under the impression that Digimon was pretty darn big.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Konami
  • Metal Gear
  • Bomberman
  • Frogger
  • Contra
If Resident Evil was considered viable for Capcom (Had it not been for the spirit event), I feel like Konami should have Silent Hill listed as well.

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
A big part of my reasoning for why I don't believe the Chun-Li/Lloyd leak is that I swear at one point Sakurai stated that everyone planned for the base game made it into the base game. Thus, any leak that states a character was scrapped from the base game is false. However, I cannot seem to find a source for this anymore, so I could be speaking nonsense... just like this leaker might be.

That, and I really, really, really don't see Capcom triple-dipping on the same series before moving on to another like Devil May Cry or Monster Hunter - especially when the latter has a new Switch-exclusive game releasing in March that both Nintendo and Capcom are heavily marketing.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
That, and I really, really, really don't see Capcom triple-dipping on the same series before moving on to another like Devil May Cry or Monster Hunter - especially when the latter has a new Switch-exclusive game releasing in March that both Nintendo and Capcom are heavily marketing.
Stranger things have happened.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Aaaand now I'm thinking of The Great Faries. Too much Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity.
Let's play some word association.

Pyramid Head.

Great Fairies.

I'm honestly in ****ing tears this is so ****ing funny to me
Hahaha

J a m e s

So many people here are going to be completely lost
People are gonna go "Bro James is the Silent Hill 2 dude what's the joke?"

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Pyramid Head.

Great Fairies.

People are gonna go "Bro James is the Silent Hill 2 dude what's the joke?"
Based on this comment I can now come to the conclusion that the Great Fairies will beat James Silenthill, now known as James "Spring" Mana after experiencing the ARMS phenomenon, to death, all while Cooler's theme blares in the background

yes

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I... don't exactly know when? The only one I can think of relating to third parties is Snake being the first one back in Brawl. Please give me some examples.
Very few people expected Cloud due to his Playstation association, very few expected Bayonetta as a ballot choice because of how risqué the character is, very few expected all the third party characters from all the previous Smash games to come back, very few people expected Konami to be the first third-party company to reach three characters, very few people expected Castlevania to be the first third-party franchise to have two characters, nobody expected both Banjo & Kazooie and Steve to be playable in the same game and nobody expected Final Fantasy to be the first third-party to have two unique characters, let alone both from the same game.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
A big part of my reasoning for why I don't believe the Chun-Li/Lloyd leak is that I swear at one point Sakurai stated that everyone planned for the base game made it into the base game. Thus, any leak that states a character was scrapped from the base game is false. However, I cannot seem to find a source for this anymore, so I could be speaking nonsense... just like this leaker might be.

The leak is shaky enough as is considering how it said both Geno and Sephiroth were rejected for Hero (Erdrick). It'd be more notable IMO if the person only mentioned Sephiroth and left Geno out completely.

We'll see though. Personally, it all comes across as someone adding some personal beliefs in with the information Verge shared.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
No comment on the leak stuff because I've been trying to avoid using that as a case in favor of Chun-Li. Even if she was planned that doesn't mean that they have any obligation to follow up on her later. Some characters just miss their shot and that's it.

I actually do believe Monster Hunter has the best chance out of any Capcom character. But in regards to Chun-Li, it's simply the magnitude of the character that overpowers the notion of "reps" and triple-dipping (plus I mean, Ken is technically an echo fighter) and IMO puts her right up there as a significant competitor. The flaw here is seeing this from the perspective of "Chun-Li is the third street fighter character" instead of "Chun-Li is probably the most important Capcom character missing, and one of the most important characters in general".

Sometimes a character is just there to represent... themselves. That's enough for someone of this caliber, it was also enough for Sephiroth (regardless of how much content Final Fantasy had before). I think Dante and especially MH have very solid chances, but so does Chun-Li once you abandon the idea that Sakurai or Nintendo give that much of a damn about "reps" when discussing one of the most iconic video game characters ever.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Sometimes a character is just there to represent... themselves. That's enough for someone of this caliber, it was also enough for Sephiroth (regardless of how much content Final Fantasy had before). I think Dante and especially MH have very solid chances, but so does Chun-Li once you abandon the idea that Sakurai or Nintendo give that much of a damn about "reps" when discussing one of the most iconic video game characters ever.
It’s clear that Sakurai and especially Nintendo cares far less about “reps” than fans do.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Pyramid Head.

Great Fairies.

This realization has also brought me to tears. lol

With all of the random references/associations I've been making during my time here I think it's safe to say that my brain is a um...eventful, place to be.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Personally, I see no timeline where we get Chun-Li, but not another Sonic character, so if Chun-Li is in, we getting either Eggman, Tails, Shadow, & Knuckles

Though for Chun-li being scrapped for Ken, So far in Ultimate some series have gotten 1 Echo and 1 Unique newcomer (Mario, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Metroid) so the same thing could happen to Street Fighter, though Ken might be considered more of an unique character though due to his changes, but Street fighter still has an unique slot if this pattern continues

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
This realization has also brought me to tears. lol

With all of the random references/associations I've been making during my time here I think it's safe to say that my brain is a um...eventful, place to be.
Too late, I'm now imagining Great Fairies chasing Link in BotW2 to kill him out of his guilt for destroying fine pottery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom