• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
While I personally don't know about liscensing stuff, that actually could be an explanation if they lost the rights to a track there or something.
I'm just not sure what could be in the direct that would cause something like that?

I'm no copyright lawyer but If Nintendo lost the rights to a song then wouldn't it have to be removed from the actual game?

and if it's an age rating thing, the Simon and K. Rool trailers are still up individually. So that doesn't seem logical.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Lets recall everything of that direct: We had the Belmot trailers, King K. Rool, the new echo fighters Dark Samus and Chrom. What else was shown there?
Stage Morph, the FS Meters, new ATs, the Gen 7 pokemon in the poke balls, new Items, new Stages, the Main menu page, and Squad Strike
That's what I can remember off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I'm just not sure what could be in the direct that would cause something like that?

I'm no copyright lawyer but If Nintendo lost the rights to a song then wouldn't it have to be removed from the actual game?

and if it's an age rating thing, the Simon and K. Rool trailers are still up individually.
I don't really think Nintendo could retroactively have to remove a song they were given rights to use at that point, instead they'd simply not be able to use it again... but yeah, I'm no lawyer either.

Theguy123

Smash Lord

and if it's an age rating thing, the Simon and K. Rool trailers are still up individually.
can’t be an age rating thing because joker came from an M rated game and all his trailers were rated E10 which means if it was a ratings thing then jokers 3 trailers would have to come down and so would many others such as Tekken, pyra/myphra and hero because each of them are rated E10 on the ESRB instead of T

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Unless... the character themselves is simply that indecent...
This is how the strapped ginger wins.

I am joking, of course.

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Stage Morph, the FS Meters, new ATs, the Gen 7 pokemon in the poke balls, new Items, new Stages, the Main menu page, and Squad Strike
That's what I can remember off the top of my head.
Well, my only guess if the Belmont stuff is still up. It could be copyright music played during the assist trophy section then. Maybe for the Olympics? Assuming that it isnt smash related of course.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
The only way I could see the Olympics having something to do with this is if they want to use a Smash remix of a Castlevania song for the Closing Ceremony.

Though I don't know what song they'd even want to use out of the 34. Hypothetically speaking.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
... any odds that by some chance a bonus update would be adding a "Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games" stage ala Small Battlefield? You know.... for the Olympics?

With a bonus Olympic Boxer Daisy as a free non-fighter pass fighter?
Daisy Olympic.jpg

JK

Still want my Olympic Boxer Daisy tho. MANIFESTING

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Looked at a reaction video for Assist Trophies and the ones shown/specifically name dropped in that Direct were Zero, Knuckles, Krystal, Klaptrap, Kapp'n, Chef Kawasaki, Gray Fox, Nikki, Shovel Knight, the Moon, and Rathalos. The music during the segment is Opening Stage from Mega Man X, up until Rathalos of course.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Looked at a reaction video for Assist Trophies and the ones shown/specifically name dropped in that Direct were Zero, Knuckles, Krystal, Klaptrap, Kapp'n, Chef Kawasaki, Gray Fox, Nikki, Shovel Knight, the Moon, and Rathalos. The music during the segment is Opening Stage from Mega Man X, up until Rathalos of course.
There was Monster Hunter music in the opening ceremony so maybe that’s why? For the Rathalos part?

SKX31

Smash Master
Lets recall everything of that direct: We had the Belmot trailers, King K. Rool, the new echo fighters Dark Samus and Chrom. What else was shown there?
From SSBWiki:

New Stages
Item announcements
Boss Announcements
  • Dracula
  • Rathalos, who will be acting as both a boss and an assist trophy.
Mode announcements
Rules announcements
  • Rulesets are selected first. Pressing the Y button will quickly access to the latest used ruleset.
  • Stages selected before fighters
  • Stage Morph
  • Final Smash Meter
  • Counterpicking

Well, my only guess if the Belmont stuff is still up. It could be copyright music played during the assist trophy section then. Maybe for the Olympics? Assuming that it isnt smash related of course.
There was Monster Hunter music in the opening ceremony so maybe that’s why? For the Rathalos part?
I dunno about that, since the Opening Ceremony featured quite a lot of music that's either in Smash (bolded - DQ's Roto's theme is the main one especially considering how stingy Sugiyama is) or series which has content in Smash (italized and underlined, Monster Hunter music). Nintendo didn't take any action or remove anything Smash-related then (July 23rd):

• Dragon Quest “Roto’s Theme” (Hero's Theme, very similar to the one used in Hero's Smash trailer)
  • Final Fantasy “Victory Fanfare”
  • Tales of series “Sorey’s Theme - The Shepherd”
  • Monster Hunter series “Proof of a Hero”
  • Kingdom Hearts “Olympus Coliseum”
  • Chrono Trigger “Frog’s Theme”
  • Ace Combat “First Flight”
  • Tales of series “Royal Capital Majestic Grandeur”
  • Monster Hunter “Wind of Departure”
  • Chrono Trigger “Robo’s Theme”
  • Sonic the Hedgehog “Star Light Zone”
  • Pro Evolution Soccer “eFootball Walk-on Theme”
  • Final Fantasy “Main Theme”
  • Phantasy Star Universe “Guardians”
  • Kingdom Hearts “Hero’s Fanfare”
  • Gradius “01 Act I-1”
  • Nier “Song of the Ancients”
  • SaGa series “The Minstrel’s Refrain: SaGa Series Medley 2016”
  • Soulcalibur “The Brave New Stage of History”

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
From SSBWiki:

New Stages
Item announcements
Boss Announcements
  • Dracula
  • Rathalos, who will be acting as both a boss and an assist trophy.
Mode announcements
Rules announcements
  • Rulesets are selected first. Pressing the Y button will quickly access to the latest used ruleset.
  • Stages selected before fighters
  • Stage Morph
  • Final Smash Meter
  • Counterpicking

I dunno about that, since the Opening Ceremony featured quite a lot of music that's either in Smash (bolded - DQ's Roto's theme is the main one especially considering how stingy Sugiyama is) or series which has content in Smash (italized and underlined, Monster Hunter music). Nintendo didn't take any action or remove anything Smash-related then (July 23rd):

• Dragon Quest “Roto’s Theme” (Hero's Theme, very similar to the one used in Hero's Smash trailer)
  • Final Fantasy “Victory Fanfare”
  • Tales of series “Sorey’s Theme - The Shepherd”
  • Monster Hunter series “Proof of a Hero”
  • Kingdom Hearts “Olympus Coliseum”
  • Chrono Trigger “Frog’s Theme”
  • Ace Combat “First Flight”
  • Tales of series “Royal Capital Majestic Grandeur”
  • Monster Hunter “Wind of Departure”
  • Chrono Trigger “Robo’s Theme”
  • Sonic the Hedgehog “Star Light Zone”
  • Pro Evolution Soccer “eFootball Walk-on Theme”
  • Final Fantasy “Main Theme”
  • Phantasy Star Universe “Guardians”
  • Kingdom Hearts “Hero’s Fanfare”
  • Gradius “01 Act I-1”
  • Nier “Song of the Ancients”
  • SaGa series “The Minstrel’s Refrain: SaGa Series Medley 2016”
  • Soulcalibur “The Brave New Stage of History”
Guess we can rule Olympics out as the reason why then?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don’t really get why it’d be a copyright issue, I’m not a law man but if they negotiated stuff for the Direct then surely those negotiations couldn’t suddenly be made invalid later? They already paid for everything and made it official, it just doesn’t seem to make sense to be a copyright issue…

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
what track because smash already has 2 monster Hunter themes in the “other” section. Roar/Rathalos and proof of a hero so if it’s one of those then it can’t be monster Hunter

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
So The Direct is being taken down even more?
So weird. They haven’t announced anything on 8/8 despite the date being right around the corner.

They’re going through a lot of effort to get rid of this video.
They gotta get rid of it.

See... a plot twist... turns out... Eggman was FRAMED!

Eggman did NOT kill Spongebob at the Burger King... it was this video. That video murdered Spongebob at a Burger King and Nintendo is murdering the video right back

SKX31

Smash Master
Probably. But we know Nintendo were supposed to be involved with the Opening Ceremony - so I'm not entirely discounting the possibility that Nintendo could be involved with the Closing Ceremony (they were involved with Rio's closing ceremony, what with Mario recieving the letter from Rio).

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the Olympics is a massive stretch no matter what. There's a reason why I called it the strangest possible option. Showing anything Smash-related there would require a gigaton announcement, no ifs or buts, due to the fact that the Olympics is 10 steps up from even E3. Would it be amazing? Yes, but don't count on it.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
The plot thickens

So weird. They haven’t announced anything on 8/8 despite the date being right around the corner.

Ok. New theory. Maybe they are trying to censor something?

Theguy123

Smash Lord

maybe they plan on promoting an AT from that direct and felt the need to copyright and take down the direct so people in the future don’t go back to the direct and leave messages such as “ahh yes this assist trophy got upgraded”

just guessing. I obviously have no idea.

Metal_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktriforce1990
3DS FC
0216-0895-5308
Hero’s trailer is during the World of Light within the Dark Realm which is why Link is fighting two of Dharkon’s puppets. Galeem being killed by Sephiroth is because Sephiroth is part of the darkness. So Dharkon would have to be killed by a character that is part of the light which is where Amaterasu steps in because she is the sun goddess, and has the light to kill Dharkon.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
maybe they plan on promoting an AT from that direct and felt the need to copyright and take down the direct so people in the future don’t go back to the direct and leave messages such as “ahh yes this assist trophy got upgraded”

just guessing. I obviously have no idea.
It could also fit upgrading a game mode.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Probably. But we know Nintendo were supposed to be involved with the Opening Ceremony - so I'm not entirely discounting the possibility that Nintendo could be involved with the Closing Ceremony (they were involved with Rio's closing ceremony, what with Mario recieving the letter from Rio).

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the Olympics is a massive stretch no matter what. There's a reason why I called it the strangest possible option. Showing anything Smash-related there would require a gigaton announcement, no ifs or buts, due to the fact that the Olympics is 10 steps up from even E3. Would it be amazing? Yes, but don't count on it.
If a Smash announcement was intended at the Olympics, it's definitely not happening anymore given that Nintendo pulled out.

Anyway, because if it's a gigaton announcement, it's 1000% certain that it's Gordon Freeman. :4pacman:

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I'm not the brightest bulb in regards to this conversation, I'll readily admit that. But... If the Olympics had any sort of game announcement for Nintendo specifically, honestly, I'd see them just dragging out Mario and Sonic Tokyo 2020 and be like "Hey, check out this game on Switch" and have some kinda stunt associated with it, drag out the mascot suits or whatever so that Mario and Sonic REALLY WERE at the Tokyo Olympics.

In regards to SMASH SPECIFICALLY... NO IDEA AT ALL. As I said before, a STRETCH could say like... "Hope you enjoyed the Olympics! Play Super Smash Bros Ultimate for one last event as a special free stage based on Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games is available in Super Smash Bros Ultimate.... right now!"

And that is me stretching like Kamala Khan. And of course taking place in a world where Nintendo didn't pull out

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I think it's awfully convenient the Direct is deleted right at the three-year mark. I have no idea how copyright stuff on YouTube works, but could there be something in the video that had some licensing contract for this specific time period?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Hmm so are there any portions of the direct that's gone from public view now that involves any company that's currently in development with Nintendo or at odds with them?

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I really don't think any sort of "big-name" character could make a Smash reveal any less of a nobody-nothing in the face of the Olympics. I just can't see it.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Whatever the deal with the August 2018 Direct is, I hope they don't plan on taking K. Rool out of Smash and the trailer before the trailer may be back up, or take K. Rool out off out of future games, for that matter.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Whatever the deal with the August 2018 Direct is, I hope they don't plan on taking K. Rool out of Smash and the trailer before the trailer may be back up, or take K. Rool out off out of future games, for that matter.
I'd be more concerned for 3rd Party characters than Nintendo ones in regards to that.

But... that does lead me to say what others have said: If it IS some copyright issue... why just that video SPECIFICALLY and not Smash itself? Like... they'd have to remove the offending content from the game via update patch or whatever if that's how it was.

I'm thinking something else is going on here.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
They're absolutely not removing an existing character from Ultimate via a patch if that's what you're fearing. I think you can rest easy.
Removing a playable character from a game people already bought - let alone one that may have single-handedly swayed many people to buy the game in the first place - that's a lawsuit waiting to happen, haha. I know I'd want my K. Rool check.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom