• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do any of you kids read books? Recommend me one.

DC

Smash Cadet
The last book I read was Lolita (a few months ago) and I'd like to read a new one. Recommend me something good plz?

I like romance (not necessarily loli romance) and psychological stuff... but I'll give almost anything a chance.

Almost.

I think I'm asking the wrong people.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Read Musashi if you want an awesome classic Samurai tale. (I haven't finished it yet, but I'm like 600+ pages in. The current hardcover edition is almost 1000 pages, so expect some really dense reading)

1984 is also another favorite of mine if you don't mind dystopian stuff.

I've always enjoyed reading, but I haven't gotten into novels until last year >_> it's why I currently don't have much to recommend, but those two books are real good. I got a lot more **** to read as far as fiction goes; Animal Farm and Neuromancer are my only other two novels on my backlog atm.

ElChubaNebre

Smash Apprentice
CLOCKWORK ORANGEEEEEEEEEE, twelve steps and twelve traditions and your perfect right: a guide to assertive living.

DC

Smash Cadet
Actually

Now that I think about it I've wanted to read Clockwork Orange for quite some time.

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
Depends on what you like... I'm more fantasy myself so I'll recommend some. The last one however is not fantasy.

Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind
- Overall great series, bit long of books though if you're not a heavy reader they can be daunting.

Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
- Pretty much same as above.

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
- One of the few Sci-Fi novels I've read but probably one of the best books I've ever read. The one's following it, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, etc are more philosophical based but still excellent reads. The parallel ones about Bean starting at Ender's Shadow is personally my favorite though.

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
- One of my overall favorite books of all time. Great intrigue and plot that keeps the entire book interesting until the very end. Recommended the most of all. Dumas also writes The Man in the Iron Mask and The Three Musketeers if you're interested.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Persepolis and Voices From A Distant Star.

EDIT- Oh wait, just noticed this wasn't comic books.

Ticknor by Shelia heti
The Middle Stories By Shelia Heti
Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino
If On A Winter's Night A Traveler by Italo Calvino
The Myterious Flame Of Queen Loana by Umberto Eco
How To Travel With A Salmon by Umberto Eco
anything by Italo Calvnio

DC

Smash Cadet
lol EVERYONE recommends House of Leaves. When I finally get around to that, that book better be Jesus ****ting Christ.

And noooo chick romance novels plz

Gerbil

Smash Champion
I'm an avid reader and have a personal library lol.

Anything by Piers Anthony is worth reading (Xanth Series, Incarnations of Immortality, Adept Series)

Harry Potter (had to be said guys)
Halo series is actually well written
Eragon series if you're into that

A Wrinkle In Time series is pretty good, but it's lower reading level (we're talking kid level lol).

The Brer Rabbit tales are always good.

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
i havent read the posts, tltr rt now, but has anyone recommended Playboy, I read it for the articles.

LOL

A good one I always liked was the Tenth Kingdom, Zero liked it too so there's two votes for it. I'll find the book and let you know who wrote it...
but are you looking for any type of book, Am, foreign?

DC

Smash Cadet
Harry Potter was pretty weak imo, and I'm not really into fantasy stuff in the first place.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I personally am a huge fan of Neal Stephenson. Sometimes his stuff is psychological, but more often than not it's just really neat ideas. My favorites among these are The Diamond Age, or: A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer, and Anathem. Anathem is particularly mindbending, for reasons I can't reveal lest I spoil it.

A more psychological work for you to try is Neuromancer, by William Gibson. Holy ****, what a mind****.

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
- One of the few Sci-Fi novels I've read but probably one of the best books I've ever read. The one's following it, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, etc are more philosophical based but still excellent reads. The parallel ones about Bean starting at Ender's Shadow is personally my favorite though.
Just about anything in the Ender Universe is a good read, but Ender's Game is unquestionably the best. I'll definitely put my vote behind this recommendation.

House of Leaves
Ahem. It's House of Leaves.

Kith

Smash Ace
Digital Fortress! One of my all time favorite books (If you're into techie, computer related mysteries XD)

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
norweigan wood
south of the border, west of the sun
anything by Haruki Murakami in fact.
Norwegian Wood is my favorite book of all time.

My second favorite book is "Sunshine" by Robin McKinley. This is how vampire stories should be done. This is what people should like. Not that... ridiculous... sparkling ****fest that is so celebrated for no reason.

I would also recommend George R.R. Martin's "A Game of Thrones"
which is being made into an HBO series right now, so get it while it's hot. It can be pretty dense to read, almost like LoTR series in a way, but it's creative and interesting. It's own little world.

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
Depends on what you like... I'm more fantasy myself so I'll recommend some. The last one however is not fantasy.

Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind
- Overall great series, bit long of books though if you're not a heavy reader they can be daunting.

Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
- Pretty much same as above.
I'd just like to reiterate, READ THESE. They are Amazing. I'm on Phantom in Sword of Truth right now.

As for me...

-FireBringer by David Clement-Davies.
It's a decent fantasy book, and honestly,
One of the reasons I'm a furry.

-Watership Down by Richard Adams.
Great read. You wouldn't think an adventure about Rabbits, of all things, would be so epic.

-House of The Scorpion by Nancy Farmer
I HEAVILY recommend this book. It's got a really good message to it, and Nancy Farmer is a great writer.

-The Iliad/Odyssey by Homer.
Into mythology? Great, read this.

-The Halo Books.
I was surprised that these didn't suck as much as I thought they would.

I'll probably think of more, but these will do for now XD.

DC

Smash Cadet
I also like Sci Fi thrillers like The Andromeda Strain.

DC

Smash Cadet
Masky I'm gonna break your **** legs in 3 places for real

Beanman

Smash Cadet
Lolita-Vladmir Nabokov
Dune- Frank Herbert
At the mountains of madness- Lovecraft
The Stand-Steven King
Night watch- sergei lukyanenko
The hobbit-Tolkin
Orwell
Brave new world-huxley
it-steven king

The ones in red are ones I personally enjoyed, regardless of the lack of acclaim for them.

Edit: I agree on the ****
"Do robots dream electric sheep" is probably his most famous work

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
I also approve of Philip K. D!ck and in general Beanman's list is pretty legit...

If you liked the movie "Blade Runner" you should find "Do robots dream of electric sheep" pretty interesting.

Top Bottom