• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do any of your friends consider lucario cheap?

Nurotasama

Smash Journeyman
if your character was better that means he has more skill anyways a win is a win there is no playing unfair, unless they hacked the game, and made all there moves kill at 0% or u are ness and they are marth...
He was speaking from the point of view of the person complaining. Its kind of like sarcasm.

SmashAura4

Smash Apprentice
First of all, I'll say "It's not the character, it's the player".

Second, It's darn near impossible to call Lucario "cheap". He's a deep character that takes a lot of thought. You can't just spam things like you do with MK and Pit.
The next time someone calls Lucario cheap, slap them side their head and tell them they don't know squat.

And on the flipside, you should be able to pick up on how your opponets move, so create a strategy to combat their movements, in this case, Lucario's movements.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Welcome to the Lucario Boards SmashAura4.
You'll soon find theres no flaming here, and we are pure awesome.
enjoy your stay.
-t2

Baky

Smash Journeyman
I personally consider his F-smash "cheap" but I wont be a scrub about it. Besides that Lucario isnt as good as people make him out to be.

Cheap may be most appropriately applied to Snake.

Nurotasama

Smash Journeyman
I personally consider his F-smash "cheap" but I wont be a scrub about it.
My friends always have trouble with the Fsmash due to its range and lasting hitbox. If they shield it they often end up letting up on the shield too early and still taking the hit, or they may try to charge their own fsmash and get hit by the longer range on Lucario's. I spam it quite often for ledge-guarding also.

SSBbo

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, the only things "cheap"... his stupidly long-lasting Fsmash. :\
lol, most of the people on swf don't use items, cause they think it lets ONE person win, when really all items can be easily dodged, everyone can get items, and if someone can get/use an item before the other person, he deserves it....

plus sonic's final smash is the only thing that's difficult to avoid (edge-hang then z repeatedly)
also, yeah i agree with you, lucario has notable weaknesses so dair and his final don't make him cheap.

SSBbo

Smash Journeyman
Cheap may be most appropriately applied to Snake.
i used to use snake alot, but stopped, beacause i can't just camp and use aerials... that's way too boring. cheap can be applied to sonic, pit, fox, and n00bs that dodge too much.

I've said this before and i'll say it again: all of those can be handled if you go overboard with sheilds, dodges, and counters (give the n00bs a taste of their own medicine).

tedward2000

Smash Champion
i used to use snake alot, but stopped, beacause i can't just camp and use aerials... that's way too boring. cheap can be applied to sonic, pit, fox, and n00bs that dodge too much.

I've said this before and i'll say it again: all of those can be handled if you go overboard with sheilds, dodges, and counters (give the n00bs a taste of their own medicine).
There is nothing wrong or cheap with Dodging too much. It just means your either really evasive or they just suck at hitting you. If the dodging can be applied into your metagame, then grats to you.
What makes dodging too much noobish, is when they use it repetitively and its easily punishable (aka roll dodging every 5 seconds) and DONT learn from their mistakes. Its the not learning from it, that makes them a noob.
-t2

Bevo

Smash Apprentice
lol, most of the people on swf don't use items, cause they think it lets ONE person win, when really all items can be easily dodged, everyone can get items, and if someone can get/use an item before the other person, he deserves it....

plus sonic's final smash is the only thing that's difficult to avoid (edge-hang then z repeatedly)
also, yeah i agree with you, lucario has notable weaknesses so dair and his final don't make him cheap.
F-smash means FORWARD smash, not FINAL smash. Also, don't talk about items in character discussion.

iMeeHow

Smash Journeyman
Lol at who ever thought Fmash meant Final Smash but to be honest none of my friend think Lucario is the slightest bit cheap actually, they think hes some joke Pokemon.. I don't usualy use Lucario against them because they get so pissed when I use MetaKnight and i like to piss them off so yea. One day when im ready il prove he is no joke Pokemon :D

MisterDrBob

Smash Apprentice
I definitely consider him cheap. my brother can be such a scrub with him. I've tried using Lucario, and I just don't have as much fun with him. He's kind of a noob tool in my opinion, but my brother isn't exactly a noob. *shrugs*

iMeeHow

Smash Journeyman
I definitely consider him cheap. my brother can be such a scrub with him. I've tried using Lucario, and I just don't have as much fun with him. He's kind of a noob tool in my opinion, but my brother isn't exactly a noob. *shrugs*
Lucario defintly isnt cheap, He takes actual skill to play with. I admit he has wierd hitboxes and his Fsmash lasts very long but he isnt like MetaKnight or Game and watch (can be learned fairly easily) and isnt as broken as snake

Browny

Smash Hater
no flaming here,
do i really have to point out the non-intended pun lol :p

anyway i asked my brother to play a few rounds against me as lucario, to see what its like. and goddam its annoying trying to take him on in the air. i used ness since i know ness very well and his aerials are good, but honestly everytime i approached I just got knocked out by any one of lucarios aerials. i suppose thats why others may find him cheap, he can beat just about everyone out of the air, and effectively camp with bair since nothing really goes through it

Trapt497

Smash Ace
D*mn dj, you must be really freakin good for that to happen :laugh:

Dude, that really sucks. You have every freakin right to play Lucario and aura-own people's butts. Personally, the only thing I have heard is cheap about Lucario is his force palm chaingrab, but that doesn't last very long anyways.

But the fact that everyone refuses to play your Lucario is ridiculous. Wow, you must be good. Are you going to do something about it or just play G&W and Snake all the time now?

Baky

Smash Journeyman
Personally, the only thing I have heard is cheap about Lucario is his force palm chaingrab, but that doesn't last very long anyways.

Wow...among all things I never would expect people to call that cheap. I remember when it was first mentioned it was overrated like hell.

I mean, don't get me wrong, its ok. Its far from comparable to EVERY other chaingrab, however. I don't see it in use often because its very situation and I personally can't use it often.

Trapt497

Smash Ace
Wow...among all things I never would expect people to call that cheap. I remember when it was first mentioned it was overrated like hell.

I mean, don't get me wrong, its ok. Its far from comparable to EVERY other chaingrab, however. I don't see it in use often because its very situation and I personally can't use it often.
Well, you know what I mean, use it on my bro's Samus and he can't do anything for a couple grabs and is like 'god thats so cheap.' But I agree with you saying its not cheap compared to others. I was just saying that thats all I've heard from friends that is cheap about Lucario.

Nurotasama

Smash Journeyman
I almost never use FP as its rather unsafe if the opponent knows its coming and dodges... especially against characters with quick close-range attacks. You can honestly build up enough damage with camping with AS, dthrow (as regular grabs are quicker with less ending lag) to aerial combo, and ftilt/fsmash without the initial trouble and problematic situation of them dodging presented by FP grab.

I think maybe I use FP once every 6-7 matches unless its against Kirby's rock (free FP!): a lot more than DT.

Nodrak

Smash Ace
Any attack is pretty useless if the opponent knows it's coming and dodges =P FP is nice, once you start getting it's range down it's a useful attack. I use it to grab characters like Yoshi and Bowser out of their downB's just before they hit the ground.

Nurotasama

Smash Journeyman
Any attack is pretty useless if the opponent knows it's coming and dodges =P FP is nice, once you start getting it's range down it's a useful attack. I use it to grab characters like Yoshi and Bowser out of their downB's just before they hit the ground.
I prefer using Fsmash in those instances, or Uair in the case of D3's Up-B. But to each his own.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Yes, the ROB player in my video thread does. But he thinks any character of mine he can hardly touch is broken..

Nodrak

Smash Ace
*Pays attention to that*

No offense Rapid but the ROB in your video wasn't the greatest =S ROB is actually supposed to be a counterpick to Lucario.

Xaile

Smash Cadet
I used to play Lucario against my brother on a fairly regular basis, and while my brother has never called Lucario cheap, he had become annoyed with how projectile spammy/campy I end up being, forcing him to approach by using Aura Sphere, then batting him away with aerials.

My brother is a good player, and he adapted, managing to get past my style of Lucario play...*cough*by counterpicking R.O.B.*cough*.

Suddenly, it was my turn to adapt my playstyle, since how I was playing Lucario didn't work very well. Haven't played against his R.O.B. terribly recently though, but I'm sure it'd still hurt pretty badly.

Characters considered "cheap" are by no means unbeatable, one just merely needs to be able to adapt (although, the ones that throw the word "cheap" around tend to be the ones that can't adapt). Sometimes it just means extra care needs to be taken against them (or you can counterpick them, hehe).

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
*Pays attention to that*

No offense Rapid but the ROB in your video wasn't the greatest =S ROB is actually supposed to be a counterpick to Lucario.
Usually the people complaining about some character being cheap are not good.

Top Bottom