• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do expert Lucario players use Double Team?

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
As seen in the title, do Lucario players ever use Double Team on an expert/professional level? I've certainly seen a few counters from Marth players, but what is true for Marth (and Ike) may not be the same for Lucario, especially because Double Team is a different attack animation and may not always hit the target.

And also, I'd like to point out that the Lucario boards rock. Best community based on a single character evar.

Nodrak

Smash Ace
And also, I'd like to point out that the Lucario boards rock. Best community based on a single character evar.
I think you just made my day =P

Marth's counter is the easiest to pull off, Ike's is a bit harder but still not bad, Lucario's on the other hand... If the animation was 100 frames before the user was back in control of Lucario, about 10 of those frames would actually be used to counter. It's certainly hard to pull off but we've found our uses for it.

With that said, it widely varies. Some Lucario users seem to never want to use it, some overuse it, but it still gets used. DT is an awesome KO move so when an opponent is being predictable, it'll get used. It's also good at closing the gap between from spammed projectiles (Pikachu <.<).

Nurotasama

Smash Journeyman
DT has a short time before it activates and a long cooldown time. Because of this if your opponent decides not to attack you could be eating death, which is especially bad with Lucario considering the aura buff. I tend to rarely ever use DT: only as a recovery if attempting to be juggled. I am really just not a fan of it when I have Fsmash, ftilt, fair, dair, bair, uair, dthrow, AS all available with less risk involved.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Double Team is always fun against Olimar's Pikmin throw. Especially the Reverse Double Team for approaches. Other than that, I usually avoid using the attack.

XavantTheEnigma

Smash Journeyman
LET'S INVADE THE SNAKE BOARDS. HMHMHMHMHMHMHMHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! >: )
No... lets not. Well maybe =_=

When your enemy becomes predictable, I suppose you can toss it in there.
If I miss, well... I go.. "Aw crap" *closes eyes and prepares to get smashed*

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
LET'S INVADE THE SNAKE BOARDS. HMHMHMHMHMHMHMHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! >: )
No... lets not. Well maybe =_=
I wouldn't do that if I were you. We've rigged ours with C4 around the perimeters in-case there was ever a Lucario invasion.

And don't forget Metal Gear REX is our watch dog, we feed him people from the Yoshi boards on a regular basis. :laugh:

And that last string of posts is why this section of the boards is the best. Hilarious...

Anyways, I like to use DT against slower people and if you can predict your opponent's move. D3 for example, gets 'em all the time. If you're at higher percentages then they're screwed. Snake, Ike, etc. all works well against. Sometimes I can get it on MK because they like to do aerials and then go for a stupid dsmash, so if you can predict that right. I dunno... maybe not. I use it as a method of travel a lot. Especially against projectile spammers. RDT and then grab them or something. So yes, pro Luca's do use the move, it's just very, very situational.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
I don't use it often, much too slow.
And it totally sucks when you miss.
But its good to punish players that are very repetitive and like to spam (looks over a pikachu boards).
Also Its good to stop momentum while in the air, a bit risky though. As a opener, I prefer to not be laggy, and keep moving. But It can and will as your butt in dire situations.
-t2

PraKirJaq

Smash Journeyman
I double team very rarely, as I am a more cautious player. But the effects are quite fun. There's reverse DT too to advance in on spammers and then proceed to combo. It can KO too ; i.e. if both you and Fox are at 100%, it'll KO Fox.

But I haven't seen Azen use it. Albeit I have thought in my head "that would've been awesome for a DT"

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
I double team very rarely, as I am a more cautious player. But the effects are quite fun. There's reverse DT too to advance in on spammers and then proceed to combo. It can KO too ; i.e. if both you and Fox are at 100%, it'll KO Fox.

But I haven't seen Azen use it. Albeit I have thought in my head "that would've been awesome for a DT"
I found it interesting that you choose to use double team very rarely, although Double Team is a completely defensive move. Wouldn't one think that a more cautious player, such as yourself, would be looking for the right moments to double team more often?

Of course, I understand the reasoning behind it. Any move that requires your opponent to hit you is putting yourself at risk. It seems as if Double Team is not a viable defensive choice after all, huh?

Rebonack

Smash Apprentice
While I wouldn't consider myself an expert Lucario player...

I rarely use Double Team defensively. Because people expect that. Rather, I use Double Team to patch up holes in my offensive. Every now and again when I wiff an attack near an opponent I'll Double Team rather than shield. Suddenly their attempt to punish me ends up in pain.

Flaming blue pain. Which, incidentally, happens to be the best kind.

To me Double Team is a means to maintain momentum.

'course, it has to be a careful balance. Do it too often and they start to wise up to it. But it's great fun when it works out.

There's nothing like hearing "It's over!" as your opponent goes tumbling into the background.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Be careful not to get too predictable when doing that. Sounds like a free grab to me.
You'd think that, but the spacing is often too difficult. I've even missed with the attack and have been able to grab out of it against Olimar. Of course, I am not exactly an expert, just experienced and my opponent doesn'tusually think to do much outside of shield. He's not exactly the greatest Olimar.

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
wow, double-team is pretty much one of my top KO moves, closely followed by AS, dsmash and dair.
it's just a matter of predicting, and it's fairly simple to do if you're a defensive player like myself. Actually one of my favorite mindgames is to dodge one attack, dodge the second, and double-team the third when it's obvious he's gonna attack you.
the biggest advantage of it over, say, Marth's counter is that it launches upwards, so there is a good chance to KO no matter WHERE the opponent is.
Also, seeing them launched and say "HA!! In your face!!" is priceless like that =3

Timbers

check me out
D3 for example, gets 'em all the time..
Wouldn't that normally be a poor option against DDD? His game strongly revolves around grabs. I'd think it'd be a more viable option against characters that don't implement grabs very much into their game.

Anyways, I don't know if experts use it. It'd suck pretty hard if you lost a chance at a thousand dollar pot because you whiffed a DT and got Snake fsmashed at 70%.

I personally dislike it. For the move to even connect, you have to use it against a character's smash (or other laggy move) or they'll be able to shield. The idea of them shielding my already very-risky-counter is not appealing. Also yeah, it's heavily based around prediction. You're always hoping for them to hit you during the active frames, it's never a for sure thing. And when your main objective is to live as long as possible, using it to any extent is putting your stock in tons of danger.

Browny

Smash Hater
you very rarely see marths use counter in tourney vids, despite being stupidly easy to hit with, i doubt anyone would waste time with lucarios. although it is decent for a few things, like RDT slow-moving projectile approaches such as mario/luigi fireball, TL boomerang.

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
you very rarely see marths use counter in tourney vids, despite being stupidly easy to hit with, i doubt anyone would waste time with lucarios. although it is decent for a few things, like RDT slow-moving projectile approaches such as mario/luigi fireball, TL boomerang.
You occasionally see Marth use a counter for recoveries. If someone is going to prevent him from getting back on stage, he counters to knock them back. It's not a bad move for mind games, either.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Do expert Lucarios use Double-Team? Of course not. It is all about the pro's and con's. If you land Double Team, you do some damage and it is decent. If you miss it.....your oponent has a golden oppertunity to smash you into oblivion. Thus, most expert Lucarios don't take that chance.

Milln

Smash Champion
Don't lump it in with Marth/Ike/Peach. Ours can KO.

I do use it, but I rarely do. It's generally a last resort for me, when nothing is fresh or when the only option is DoubleTeam or Airdodge. The only frustration is that whenever I double team, my opponent usually effing MISSES in the first place which aggravates me.
XD

Timbers

check me out
The only frustration is that whenever I double team, my opponent usually effing MISSES in the first place which aggravates me.
XD
OH GOD I know what you mean I hate it.. I'll like, be like, "alright this spammy dudes been flauntin random attacks at me for the past 23583935 matches I can totally DT this sonuva*****," and then I DT and he attacks, AND HE MISSES. HOW CAN YOU MISS ME WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT LEARN TO PLAY

;_;

Nurotasama

Smash Journeyman
The only frustration is that whenever I double team, my opponent usually effing MISSES in the first place which aggravates me.
XD
Why does it seem I always hit when a Lucario player uses DT, but when I play Lucario the opponent gets a lucky miss when I DT. >>;

OneWingedAngelo1

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't do that if I were you. We've rigged ours with C4 around the perimeters in-case there was ever a Lucario invasion.

And don't forget Metal Gear REX is our watch dog, we feed him people from the Yoshi boards on a regular basis. :laugh:
Dude we got Extreme Speed to get past your explosions or we just take it and get stronger...

You know what happens when we get hit with a smart bomb... ^_^

Plus with have Psychic... and we know how much Snake hates people who can read his mind ^_^

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
And being psychic automatically means you can read minds? That is a pretty stereotypical... I'm offended.

blueshirt314

Smash Cadet
I only use DT when I see a major attack coming. When people try to edge-guard with a big smash like Dedede's or Bowser's, I whip out the DT. Of course, sometimes I plummet right off the stage after something like that, but then again, I watch my stocks.

In other words, use DT to punish a really big, slow and predictable attack. That's it. Don't go holding the Down stick and mashing B, that's gonna REALLY sting you in the long run.

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
Dude we got Extreme Speed to get past your explosions or we just take it and get stronger...

You know what happens when we get hit with a smart bomb... ^_^

Plus with have Psychic... and we know how much Snake hates people who can read his mind ^_^
Actually we've already thought of that, so we went ahead and strapped all of our C4 to Baby Lucarios.

Adorable little things aren't they? Would be a shame if anything ever were to happen to them...

XavantTheEnigma

Smash Journeyman
If you suddenly find your children beheaded, look not at man in the evil gothic black robes.
*sharpens scythe* =_=

*forsees a Snake? SNAKE?! SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE*
*slight evil smile*

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
Actually we've already thought of that, so we went ahead and strapped all of our C4 to Baby Lucarios.

Adorable little things aren't they? Would be a shame if anything ever were to happen to them...
this would've been checkmate if you knew that there aren't, well, baby Lucario's. and even so it would be really low even for Snake users. I mean it's OK to grab someone from behind and choke them/ gut their knecks. But little babies? tch tch...

Oh by the way, you know we can see right through your disguise, right?
Checkmate. we win.
=3

Xaile

Smash Cadet
(Disclaimer: Xaile is not an expert Lucario player.)

Do I use Double Team?

Not very often...

The main reason I use it so sparingly is because it's so SLOW to come out. Back in Melee I played Roy for the longest time and I loved his counter, because it came out when I hit down-B.

I can't tell you how many times I've hit down-B, HEARD the sound-effects for double team go off, and get hit with their attack before the counter-frames even start. :(

Sure, Double Team can Kill, but you have to consider a couple things. If you're at a high enough percent to have enough Aura Boost to kill them, can you really afford to potentially lose a stock by mistiming or bad prediction? When Lucario is at high percents, I usually try to make a point to play safer and make sure they don't land those crucial smashes and other attacks that can reset the Aura Boost. Double Team seems like a step in the wrong direction.

That said, Double Team has it's uses. Sometimes people are just really predictable, spammy, or whatnot, and you can bank on hitting with it.

But, the risk versus the reward just doesn't seem worth it, considering all the other options you could do whenever you would Double Team.

(It's really the start-up time that I don't like on Double Team; I miss Roy's Counter. :()

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
this would've been checkmate if you knew that there aren't, well, baby Lucario's. and even so it would be really low even for Snake users. I mean it's OK to grab someone from behind and choke them/ gut their knecks. But little babies? tch tch...

Oh by the way, you know we can see right through your disguise, right?
Checkmate. we win.
=3
So wait, you're gonna stand there and tell me that Lucarios just spring out of their mommy's tummy fully grown? And don't give me that "stork" excuse either. We all know where babies come from. I learned about it last week.

Oh and one more thing..."that would be really low even for Snake users." WHAT DO YOU MEAN, EVEN FOR SNAKE USERS!? It's as if our character was totally...broken...or something...

BTW: i like the sig. I kind of want to reach in there and squeeze Mew so he makes a high pitched squeaky sound. Very cute.

Timbers

check me out

Oh and one more thing..."that would be really low even for Snake users." WHAT DO YOU MEAN, EVEN FOR SNAKE USERS!? It's as if our character was totally...broken...or something...
Hahaha. Stick around, these posts are wintastic.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
So wait, you're gonna stand there and tell me that Lucarios just spring out of their mommy's tummy fully grown? And don't give me that "stork" excuse either. We all know where babies come from. I learned about it last week.

BTW: i like the sig. I kind of want to reach in there and squeeze Mew so he makes a high pitched squeaky sound. Very cute.
I am not going to explain to you all the quirks of the Pokemon birds and bees, as they defy all natural logic anyway. Lets just say there are no infant Lucario for the same reason a one-eyed magnet can breed with a pink blob.

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
I am not going to explain to you all the quirks of the Pokemon birds and bees, as they defy all natural logic anyway. Lets just say there are no infant Lucario for the same reason a one-eyed magnet can breed with a pink blob.
To sig this quote or not to sig this quote...that is the question.

Nurotasama

Smash Journeyman
I thought there were no infant Lucario because they were Riolu?

Boy do things go off topic quickly around here!

Top Bottom