• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do I just suck or do I have to practice more?

krndandaman

Smash Cadet
Well I'm a beginner at these "advanced techniques" in supersmash and I just learned about them like a week ago. So far I mastered wavelanding and wavedashing and am trying to learn SHFFL. Some problems I have:

1) I can't shorthop for my life. I can do it at will when I'm not in battle, but when fighting, I can't shorthop AT ALL. I can shorthop in training mode pretty consistently but I can't do it while fighting.
2) I'm having trouble with wavelanding from the ledge or something like that? LIke when you're hanging on the ledge and waveland right onto the stage. When I try, I can't waveland while jumping. I thought it was Jump Up from ledge>waveland onto field
It has like blocks airdodging while jumping up from ledge...
thanks in advance

Imperial Wraith

Smash Journeyman
No matter how true the former, it can be overcome by the latter.

Practice makes perfect.

Just keep on practicing in small bursts of 10-20 mins for a while, you'll get it eventually.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Well I'm a beginner at these "advanced techniques" in supersmash and I just learned about them like a week ago. So far I mastered wavelanding and wavedashing and am trying to learn SHFFL. Some problems I have:

1) I can't shorthop for my life. I can do it at will when I'm not in battle, but when fighting, I can't shorthop AT ALL. I can shorthop in training mode pretty consistently but I can't do it while fighting.
2) I'm having trouble with wavelanding from the ledge or something like that? LIke when you're hanging on the ledge and waveland right onto the stage. When I try, I can't waveland while jumping. I thought it was Jump Up from ledge>waveland onto field
thanks in advance
you cant learn everything at once first start from easy then get to the hard stuff. you cant talk about SHFFL If you cant even short hop you cant learn wavelanding from the edge if you cant wavedash. 1 step at a time.

Kornstalk

Smash Rookie
Practice using short hop aerials in training mode as Falco. and try doing wavedashing techniques as Luigi or Samus.

chaosscizzors

Smash Journeyman
it took me a while to get used to it, just force yourself to do it untill you get used to it, even if you get murderlized.

AXE 09

Smash Master
when i first learned about advanced moves, it took me a LOT longer than a week to actually use them while fighting someone else. yes, shorthopping was hard as heck for me at first. it actually took me MONTHS of practice of short hopping to finally get it. just keep fighting other people and practicing. i'm sure you'll start getting the hang of advanced moves eventually, but it takes time. in my case, it took about 5 months or so to be able to perform most of the advanced moves without trying that hard. when you do it so much, it starts to become a reflex

garbage

Smash Journeyman

thanks in advance
Regarding short-hops: I was the EXACT same way just a couple weeks ago. Now, after short-hopping a lot and fighting versus some Level 1's for practice, I'm way better, and can even SHFFL pretty well.

Regarding wavelading from the ledge: I did it incorrectly the first time too. You don't actually press "y" or "x" while on the ledge. First, tap down. Then do your double-jump immediately. Then wavedash onto the stage. You can attack instead of wavedashing if you want. Basically, you drop down, jump back up, and air-dodge onto the stage.

orintemple

Smash Lord
Don't try to learn all the advanced stuff at the same time. Split it up. Learn to shuffl first(really learn to lcancel first) as it is probably the most important then go on to wavedashing and the rest. It is too much to try and remember to do all the things at once so split it up. Once you feel comfortable doing one advanced technique in battle then move on to learning the next.

full_95

Smash Journeyman
if youve been doing it for a week, you are most definitely far from mastering WD/WL, unless youre some kind of prodigy. and yes, you need practice... a lot of practice. and definitely learn L-cancel and short hop first. dont bother with WD until, at the very least, you can SH and L-cancel at will.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
Both. If you suck, you need to practice more. We all sucked at one point, and we practiced to get where we are.

Short hop:
How are you shorthopping? Are you pressing the button really fast, or are you flicking the button? You should flick the button. To do this, put your thumb on the X button, and just flick your thumb to the right.

Wavelanding from the ledge:
You're not jumping off the ledge correctly. You're supposed to drop from the ledge by pressing down (or back) and immediately jumping. It's called a ledgehop. You do many things with this. You can waveland from the ledge, and you can also do aerials off the ledge.

yinn_skitchy

Smash Cadet
you cant learn everything at once first start from easy then get to the hard stuff. you cant talk about SHFFL If you cant even short hop you cant learn wavelanding from the edge if you cant wavedash. 1 step at a time.
actually i got wavelanding down before wavedashing >:|

chaosscizzors

Smash Journeyman
maybe it's just me but i had a real easy time learning all thouse advanced tecniques. except wavedashing, i watch videos and ppl look like they're wavedashing twice as fast as me, and i can't figure out who they do it so freakin fast.

krndandaman

Smash Cadet
Wavedashing and wavelanding I can use 100% in battle
Shorthop I can only use when I'm like edgehogging or something like when fox uses firefox and I shorthop and nair to send him flying.
L-cancel like 90% I always L-Cancel and ocassionally I miss.
Ledgehopping- 50% finally got how to do it, now I just need to practice it.
SHFFL- I barely got shorthop down, so I'm like at 5% since I need to shorthop first.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Learning to do the advanced techniques is pretty easy. Just practice them until they become second nature. The tricky part is actually using them in battle. It took me about 2 hours to get wavedashing with Marth perfect (Marth is the first character I tried wavedashing with), but I can't use it well in real battles.

Shorthopping can get tricky. Again, just practice until it becomes second nature. Practice your shffls with Fox or some other character on the air. Then, in battle, just do the same button presses. Your shffls will feel disconnected with the rest of your play, but fluidity will come later.

Wavelanding from an edge grab is tricky and is definitely not necessary to be a good smasher. Don't worry about it. Learn to shffl first.

Linkster47

Smash Apprentice
Just practice every day until your fingers hurt. The only way you can learn how to use them in battle is to play real people.

krndandaman

Smash Cadet
:/ too bad my sister sucks at SSBM...
She's like a level 9 computer just with a brain. My friends aren't that great either. Only one of them know how to do advanced techniques and the only one he can do is wavedash and waveland (BARELY).
And I can't go to tourny's or anything... I"m still in highschool and I have a full schedule every weekend. I only have freetime from around 7PM to whenever I sleep on saturdays and 5PM to whenever I sleep on sundays which I usually use for homework. I play SSBM like 30 minutes a day during weekdays and 1 hour per weekend.

Sandwich

Smash Ace
Practice.
Practice.
Practice.

I mean.
The time you wasted posting this could've been used practicing!

clowsui

Smash Legend
:/ too bad my sister sucks at SSBM...
She's like a level 9 computer just with a brain. My friends aren't that great either. Only one of them know how to do advanced techniques and the only one he can do is wavedash and waveland (BARELY).
And I can't go to tourny's or anything... I"m still in highschool and I have a full schedule every weekend. I only have freetime from around 7PM to whenever I sleep on saturdays and 5PM to whenever I sleep on sundays which I usually use for homework. I play SSBM like 30 minutes a day during weekdays and 1 hour per weekend.
level nine computer with a brain is better than anything else. at least she knows how to regular di, and at least your friends know how to do regular di.

sh takes a while to master, just practice with falco w/ an idle 2nd player in vs. mode; that way you can use cstick to practice shffls if that's what you're going for. wavelanding is not important unless you're playing luigi.

krndandaman

Smash Cadet
Level 9 computer with a brain is like... idk.

A human being that can near perfectly powershield and so on, so forth.
by that I mean difficulty level.
Like if i play 3 stock match I can beat the level 9 with 3stock and like 80%.
My sister does around there too.

it's more fun to play my sister though... even when she complains like **** about me being cheap or too hard on her

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Shorthop with Bowser. :)
No!

Dont practice with bowser, its useless to get short hopping down with him, practice with fox or kirby. Bowser's short hop is so easy it won really matter if you get it down with him, fox and kirby on th other hand have the hardest/fastest short hop in the game, if you can get it down with them, you can get it down with anyone.

Captain_Obvious

Smash Journeyman
Just because you can SHFFL and wavedash doesn't make you a good player. These skills are important, yes, but to become good you have to either be naturally talented or play a LOT. I picked up competitive Melee about 2 years ago, and just in the last month or two I'm starting to pick up exactly how and when to use all of the advanced techs I practiced so heavily. One of the saddest things I've seen in a tourney is a player who is really technical and looks really good in game, but has no idea how to use his skill against his opponent.

So instead of just practicing your tech skills, try practicing watching your opponent and how they move. Try and find their patterns and the holes in them. Finally, learn what techniques are best for hitting these holes. Then you'll have an easy time winning, and a lot of the time simplicity works a lot better than crazy technical chaos.

Under the sink of Smash, all your advanced techs are just your toolkit. An excellent plumber knows when to use a reverse-threaded flange ratchet and when to simply use a good old wrench.

- Captain R.D. Obvious

F0xst3r

Smash Rookie
practice makes perfect try shorthopping when you can but dont think about it but from wer i stand u prob better than me but wave landing you nd 2 drop from the ledge then when you just land wave dash k. try it with luigi

Foxman15

Smash Journeyman
I''m guessing your sucking is a result of you not practicing and not knowing how to do stuff. Short hopping is deffinitely required, and SHFFLing is usually what it is used for.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
Before last summer, I was like you. I could barely SH, and I couldn't SHFFLC for my life. My wavelanding was okay, but not integrated well into my Falcon's game. I practiced a lot, and now, I can SHFFL whenever I want to and I know how to use my waveland.

Tip for SHFFLC:
You need to get to the point where the whole thing is one motion. You shouldn't be thinking "okay, I jump now, attack now, uh..FF, click L." You need to think "SHFFL" and do it. First SH consistently, then integrate SH'd attacks into your game. Then add the FFLC (they come so close together for Falcon it's like one step for me).

Oh, and this video might help you learn some stuff: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6268917341431368191

It helped me a lot. I'm no pro (I can't double n-air for my life or moonwalk), but I have the basics, and my game has improved bunches.

EDIT: Oh, and watch a lot of videos. You'll learn combos and gain general knowledge.

krndandaman

Smash Cadet
If that were true your sister would be the greatest smasher in the world.

sorry for the DP :) sometimes adds mine twice
Lol... just that she doesn't have that much of a smart brain.

Before last summer, I was like you. I could barely SH, and I couldn't SHFFLC for my life. My wavelanding was okay, but not integrated well into my Falcon's game. I practiced a lot, and now, I can SHFFL whenever I want to and I know how to use my waveland.

Tip for SHFFLC:
You need to get to the point where the whole thing is one motion. You shouldn't be thinking "okay, I jump now, attack now, uh..FF, click L." You need to think "SHFFL" and do it. First SH consistently, then integrate SH'd attacks into your game. Then add the FFLC (they come so close together for Falcon it's like one step for me).

Oh, and this video might help you learn some stuff: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6268917341431368191

It helped me a lot. I'm no pro (I can't double n-air for my life or moonwalk), but I have the basics, and my game has improved bunches.

EDIT: Oh, and watch a lot of videos. You'll learn combos and gain general knowledge.
Thanks. And I already watched that video :p Thats where I learned to do all the advanced techniques.

---

Mindgames and using the techniques in battle is no problem for me. Especially mindgames :p I USUALLY force 1 suicide per 2 games. Like we get into a fake out war with the sidestepping and wavedashing and then he somehow falls off the edge or I get an easy nice free shot :p But thats the reason no one wants to play me :( Cause I get people pissed off and they complain that since they suicided I got lucky.

Banana_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
But thats the reason no one wants to play me :( Cause I get people pissed off and they complain that since they suicided I got lucky.
Well, then they're johning and they shouldn't!
It's their fault that they SD ("S E L F"destruct, after all) so just tell them in a friendly way that they should try not to.

And don't let it get you down. If you let comments like that get to you too much it won't help your confidence one bit.

Top Bottom