• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do I really need a main?

Kiru

Smash Cadet
Ive been trying to pick a main for a while now, and it just hit me... Why dont I just "second" a quarter of the cast? I know that having a main allows you to firmly grasp a character,and further your play, but is it the only way to get good?

I dont plan on going to tournaments or anything, I just want to play online sometimes and play against friends. If I were to pick a main, would they just get used to playing against my one or two characters?

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
Mains are really only important if you're serious about getting better at the game. If you're just playing friendlies and stuff, a main isn't necessary, just have fun with whatever character you're playing with.

As for people getting used to your main, it forces you to adapt to their counter moves (because they know your character) and can only improve your game.

Coney

Smash Master
if you're playing for fun, it genuinely doesn't matter who you play, because nothing matters

if you're playing to really and honestly get better, pick a character. most good players only stick to one character and play them at a tournament level, MAYBE two, with some remarkable exceptions playing more.

Zottic

Smash Rookie
Idk. I really struggle with staying with a main. I guess I don't really think about it as, who do I like best, because I love almost all of the cast! I think of who I am best at. It just so happens I like Mr. Game & Watch, and I'm really good as him, so I usually main him. I also like Lucas, and Kirby.

UberMario

Smash Master
A "main" is your preferred character, that doesn't mean it's the only character you play as, however, since the charcter you prefer will most likely be the one you use the most, it's better to use that character in tournaments because you know him/her/it better than the others.

For example, my main is Mario, but I'm also pretty decent with Captain Falcon, Yoshi, Sonic, Fox, Kirby, Pikachu, and the Ice Climbers aswell, though since I'm best with Mario, I'd use him the most at tournaments. Also, picking up a lot of secondaries can help you learn about matchups, so, no, there's nothing wrong with having many secondaries, it's good to have a fallback though.

Midnight Shadows

Smash Cadet
It really depends. Maining a character will get you better at the game faster than playing everyone in the game. But when you've reached a certain level, IMO it depends on the characters you like to play. If you play someone with lots of ATs and complex options (Diddy Kong, Ice Climbers, less so Snake), then you're probably better off maining JUST that character with maybe a secondary to cover matchups and bad counterpicks for your character. If you play simple characters however with little to memorize (Kirby, D3, Meta Knight, Marth, etc) you can probably handle using more than one main.

That said, you can play whoever you want in friendlies like the guys above me said. What I just said really only applies in bracket/pools.

Hope I helped, and GL choosing a main

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
the concept of a "main" is only for people focusing on competing, as it lets them focus their practice. if you aren't going to compete, don't even worry about who's your main and who's your secondary, it doesn't matter

Jonas

Smash Champion
You'll find yourself picking one character more than others as you play a lot of matches. Well, maybe you won't "find yourself" doing that, you'll just subconsciously prefer one character. That character is probably your main.
You can actually see your most used characters in the game's stats (it tracks players 1-4, so it's not totally reliable, but it's your Wii, so you're probably playing more on it than anyone else). I'd say the character with the most playtime is your main :V

But yeah, you don't need a main to enjoy the game, but it's a good idea to have one if you're going to compete.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Well, Zero Suit Samus is a pretty good character, but regular Samus... All I have to say is good luck in the tourneys, especially against MK. I've love to see a good Samus, though, it's not very often that you fight one of those. :)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The reason you stick with on character, in any game, is to learn them inside and out. As you play, you'll learn their subtleties and ins and out. Not using a main will always hold you back in terms of the fundamental character.

Since your playing online and with friends, you'll be Ok to go whatever you want. What I try to do is play a set of characters and use them, so I can learn them. My set is Wario, Bowser, Pokemon Trainer, Captain Falcon, Ike and Wolf. I shuffle between them and try to use them for long periods of time. Try to do the same.

BSP

Smash Legend
If you don't plan on going to tournaments, don't worry about picking a main.

If you really want to have 1-2 characters better than your others, just focus on them.

16!

Smash Cadet
Port town, it's easier to smuggle drugs out here.
Mains. No, you don't need a main, not even if you wanna be good at the game.

You don't seem to care to win as much as have fun, so it doesn't matter. If you wanted to play tournaments a main (for any competition with multiple choice) is a useful tool to give you a foundation to work with.

Like martial arts. Basically just pick a style, some suck, some are sweet. When it comes to an actual fight you don't need to know any specific martial art to win, but they really help. Bruce lee mained as many as possible.

Veel

Smash Apprentice
You don't need a main but the vast majority of people who play competitively stick to one character (including most of the top players.)

Kotami

Smash Rookie
If you're playing to have fun, pick characters that you have fun with.

If winning's a critical part of enjoying your playtime, however, you may want to develop your skills with one specific character, even if he's not the only one (or even the most common) that you play. It's also very possible that a character will just click with you eventually and you won't even mind sticking with one.

For instance, I bounced around with ~12 different characters for about a year and a half before eventually deciding on Lucario. The other characters eventually got frustrating or stale--not so for Lucario.

Karim

Smash Rookie
I used Fox as my main in Melee, but I then started using Samus more and more until she became my main...then I played my first tournament, but it was after Brawl came out, and this tournament was the first time I played Brawl lol, and I was like 'meh it won't be that different right?' Wrong. Long story short, I pretty much got pooned.

Although I still love playing Samus, I guess when you play tournaments you kinda realize how it's messed up that your choice of who to play becomes more limited. This will teach you who you need to play so you can start pooning others, according to your style of play of course. For me this was Kirby, in Brawl.

16!

Smash Cadet
Port town, it's easier to smuggle drugs out here.
Yeah, mains can change easily. I felt most comfortable with the physics of toon link than anyone else. Streetfighter, I just liked kens character more story wise. Only played the shoto's and over the 15+ years of playing I've become used to Ken, who is usually in top tier ( or close enough for touneys).

In the vs. Series I usually main spider-man. Because he's my favorite character. Turns out he's at least mid Teir, so after observing other characters and weaknesses I found the closest character to him that's top teir or good enough for tournaments.

There are a million ways to pick a main. Just play, have fun. Eventually you'll find a main.

TurnOneWrath

Smash Cadet
It really depends. Maining a character will get you better at the game faster than playing everyone in the game.
Ok.
But if you do intend on becoming serious about the game, and choosing a main is the best way to get there, is it OK to pick a main that may not be one of the best characters in the game?
The reason I ask is because I'm trying to pick a main for Brawl, and I know who the better characters are and have toyed around with them, but I am leaning toward Pit as my main.
While I understand that he's not a superior character, would it be detrimental for my development as a player to use him as a main? Or is this just "asking to lose"?

popsofctown

Smash Champion
The more you focus on a smaller group of characters, the more you will tend to win.

So how small that group of characters is depends on how much you want to win.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
If you want to play to win, then a main is necessary, and that main must be Meta Knight.
But in all seriousness, look at Atomsk. He doesn't really have a main, but he's still managed to keep the title of best US D3, and some would say best Ice Climbers.
On the other hand, consider M2K, who uses ONLY Meta Knight, and has the best Tournament rankings in the US.
I don't really know where I'm going for this.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Not necessarily, the only reason I have a main is because mine is my favorite character. Play the game how you want, have fun :)

Balrog

Smash Rookie
in a sence,you dont really "pick" your main;the main "picks" you. its all a matter of prefrence. As you try out different characters,you eventually find one that you find particularly effective.You start using the character more and learning their Ups and Downs. once all this happens,Congratulations:You pretty much have a Main Character without even knowing you have one.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
in a sence,you dont really "pick" your main;the main "picks" you. its all a matter of prefrence. As you try out different characters,you eventually find one that you find particularly effective.You start using the character more and learning their Ups and Downs. once all this happens,Congratulations:You pretty much have a Main Character without even knowing you have one.

Kinda this.

You don't need anything, in time youmight realise who you find the best and/or more enjoyable. And if you dont... well, who cares? If it's working/is fun having several characters, why change it?

Top Bottom