• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do the stages actually kill us, or is it our own fault?

A-Tron

Smash Cadet
all of those are actually easy to avoid so yeeee i dont find thema problem

AranOcean

Smash Ace
NNID
AranOcean
3DS FC
1220-8584-3874
Not being ***** by klaptraps, bombs and lava.
Klaptraps - Don't do under the stage (duh)

Bombs - Can be easliy avoided if you're aware of them

Lava - Again, can be easily avoided

Exploding yellow blocks of death - Don't hit them...or else...

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I would say it's the fault of the player; however the stage obstacles can become very annoying in a close fight. You could be at 83% and your opponent at 141% and both of you are on your last lives. You have the momentum and can feel victory and then BOOM! you get screwed over by the stage like a Klap Trap or the Claw at Halberd. You can see these things coming but you strongly believe that if it wasn't for these deaths that kill you early than you would have won.

The other side of the coin works to your advantage though as a counter argument; but I'd feel a little cheap winning this way. I guess that's the power of emotions though. In a battle what you need is the skills and smarts to get around these and understand anything can happen.

Kamikaze*

Smash Ace
These hazards may be avoidable but you still have to focus on the hazards until you're safe.

On neutrals like FD you focus 100% on your opponent, and you don't have to look at the background.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I would say it's the fault of the player; however the stage obstacles can become very annoying in a close fight. You could be at 83% and your opponent at 141% and both of you are on your last lives. You have the momentum and can feel victory and then BOOM! you get screwed over by the stage like a Klap Trap or the Claw at Halberd. You can see these things coming but you strongly believe that if it wasn't for these deaths that kill you early than you would have won.
People, the claw is so easy to avoid. and if you find yourself under Japes and get hit by the Klaptrap, you honestly had it coming. Seriously. You can't blame the stage for your mistakes, especially if you know of what the stage can do.

These hazards may be avoidable but you still have to focus on the hazards until you're safe.

On neutrals like FD you focus 100% on your opponent, and you don't have to look at the background.
FD's ledges may say otherwise. The diversion of attention argument has been made, and we've discussed that it doesn't require your undivided attention to avoid a hazrd. You can still play on key and avoid hazards like you avoid attacks. It's not a big deal.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Sometimes it could be the opponents fault where we have no control. Like getting thrown into a missile on pictochat
DID YOU EVEN READ THE OPENING POSTS!?

Seriously, it's your fault for being grabbed. On dangerous stages like Picto, you have to be warry of the stage and what it might throw at you.

Now people, PLEASE READ BEFORE MAKING REPEAT POSTS OF OLD DISCUSSION!!! I'M BEDDING YOU!!!

Smash Master
It's my fault for getting hit. It's not my fault that the hit did an extra 20%. I deserve only 10 or so %, not 30. Prate Ship and Pictochat are broken lucksack stages.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
Now, speaking from a casual player's (read: all stages) point of view, there really aren't that many stages that kill you. Pictochat has it's moments when you are jumping around and mid jump a missle or other hazard appears near you (as rare as that is), but aside from that, just don't be stupid. Flat Zone 2 is Flat Zone 2 blah blah blah.

Aside from that though, the only stage I truly think is bad is the default custom stage (medium size). Bwah!
But I might be the only one who still plays that.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
It's my fault for getting hit. It's not my fault that the hit did an extra 20%. I deserve only 10 or so %, not 30. Prate Ship and Pictochat are broken lucksack stages.
AND YET ANOTHER PERSON REFUSES TO READ ANY OF THE TOPIC BEFORE POSTING!!!

Pirate Ship gives you plenty of warning when a cannon ball flies out or when the catapult flies. Pictochat actually gives you a second to respond, in which you can DI obstacles.

How about next time you read posts in the topic before blurting out information we've already discussed being fair.

Conspiricy

Smash Journeyman
Roses are red, Violets are blue, I'm online, Brawl
You see, sometimes It's the players fault.

HOWEVER...Glitches happen, the stage can vanish for a split second and spike you down(online battlefield), or sudden explosions from invisible bombs (online pirate ship). In those freak occurances, how canm it be the players fualt, or the opponents?

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
You see, sometimes It's the players fault.

HOWEVER...Glitches happen, the stage can vanish for a split second and spike you down(online battlefield), or sudden explosions from invisible bombs (online pirate ship). In those freak occurances, how canm it be the players fualt, or the opponents?
We've already discussed that glitches are the exception

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Dude... nobody reads any more. Let's just let this die, people are repeating what we've discussed so many times.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Dude... nobody reads any more. Let's just let this die, people are repeating what we've discussed so many times.
Yeah... I should, but if people keep posting, I feel like I should respond. I shouldn't have bumped this with my theory compiling question

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Fact: You need to understand all the hazards on every legal stage completely to do well in this game at a competitive level.

Fact: If you're playing someone that does and you don't (assuming you're otherwise on equal terms) that player is BETTER THAN YOU at the game.

Fact: If you get thrown into a claptrap, you should have known it was coming and avoided the possibility of getting thrown into it.

Fact: It's your own ****ing fault.

Fact: If you lose a game by getting claptrapped, you probably lost to a better player, who outplayed you. NO JOHNS.

orintemple

Smash Lord
It's Sakurai's fault. If those hazards weren't there, then you couldn't get hit by them...

But if THAT isn't valid enough for you guys, then its probably you're own fault for getting hit.

V. Mizrahi

Smash Rookie
Yes, I have read the entire 10 pages of this thing. Mainly because I'm off work and there is nothing to do today so therefore, I have no life today lol.

The only time it is the stages fault is when you're playing BattleFeild or Final Destination or any other course you have with a lip that you can get caught under. But there is a way around it, create a stage WITHOUT a lip. I did it and so can anyone else.
But, like most everyone has said before, you getting KO-ed is your own fault. You can dodge someone's grab so it is not the stages fault you get thrown into the Fireballs/Comets on Pictochat.
The only way to get hit by a Klaptrap is if your opponent coincidentally Meteor Smashes you into a Klaptrap or you are dumb enough not to get back on the stage after grabbing the ledge. There is a rock platform so why not jump on it then jump on the stage to avoid the Klaptrap?

It is a basic rule of fighting, know your surroundings. If you have not looked into what happens on a particular stage and tried to become knowlegable when it comes to how to fight on it without it becoming a pure disadvantage, that is your own fault. Word of advice: Act like the stage is another enemy! When you're on a stage with a hazard that can kill you, pay attention to the stage and the person you're fighting. Doing otherwise is just stupidity and claiming that its the stages fault is ignorance when you should have been paying attention.

Anyway, hazards don't bother me. Some stages are just boring for me to play on. But they are fun, especially when all of us get hit by a hazard at the same time and we're all at a KO-able percentage and on our last life. It is fun as hell because "who wins!? Aw, crap" and we laugh about it and play another match on Final Destination instead so we know who REALLY would have won that one. I'm surprised no one mentioned the Bob-ombs on Sudden Death. Me and my friends usually just sit around dodging the bombs until they eventually wind up hitting us.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Yes, I have read the entire 10 pages of this thing. Mainly because I'm off work and there is nothing to do today so therefore, I have no life today lol.

The only time it is the stages fault is when you're playing BattleFeild or Final Destination or any other course you have with a lip that you can get caught under. But there is a way around it, create a stage WITHOUT a lip. I did it and so can anyone else.
But, like most everyone has said before, you getting KO-ed is your own fault. You can dodge someone's grab so it is not the stages fault you get thrown into the Fireballs/Comets on Pictochat.
The only way to get hit by a Klaptrap is if your opponent coincidentally Meteor Smashes you into a Klaptrap or you are dumb enough not to get back on the stage after grabbing the ledge. There is a rock platform so why not jump on it then jump on the stage to avoid the Klaptrap?

It is a basic rule of fighting, know your surroundings. If you have not looked into what happens on a particular stage and tried to become knowlegable when it comes to how to fight on it without it becoming a pure disadvantage, that is your own fault. Word of advice: Act like the stage is another enemy! When you're on a stage with a hazard that can kill you, pay attention to the stage and the person you're fighting. Doing otherwise is just stupidity and claiming that its the stages fault is ignorance when you should have been paying attention.

Anyway, hazards don't bother me. Some stages are just boring for me to play on. But they are fun, especially when all of us get hit by a hazard at the same time and we're all at a KO-able percentage and on our last life. It is fun as hell because "who wins!? Aw, crap" and we laugh about it and play another match on Final Destination instead so we know who REALLY would have won that one. I'm surprised no one mentioned the Bob-ombs on Sudden Death. Me and my friends usually just sit around dodging the bombs until they eventually wind up hitting us.
uhhh... lol, wut?

V. Mizrahi

Smash Rookie
I am saying that the only way someone can logically or rationally say it is the stage's fault that they got KO-ed is if they get stuck under the lip of the stage just under the ledge and even then, it is situational. What I mean by "lip" is a part of the stage that sticks out and you can get stuck under so you basically fall to your death.

Hopefully this shows what I mean: I was playing as Samus and had knocked the opponent off the stage. I go for Samus's Down-Air and managed to get the meteor smash. I jump back up towards the stage and do the Up-B and wind up getting stuck under the stage just inches from the edge.

Although, I will admit that it is kinda dumb to say that the stage killed me in the sense that I should have known not to take that risk but at the same time it is a reasonable thing to say in maybe a few situations. But nine out of ten cases where someone says "The stage killed me" is basically due to something that they stupidly did or didn't do that resulted in them getting KO-ed and makes about as much sense as saying that "the game won't let me double jump so I can try to recover" (I've heard that several times before).

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I am saying that the only way someone can logically or rationally say it is the stage's fault that they got KO-ed is if they get stuck under the lip of the stage just under the ledge and even then, it is situational. What I mean by "lip" is a part of the stage that sticks out and you can get stuck under so you basically fall to your death.

Hopefully this shows what I mean: I was playing as Samus and had knocked the opponent off the stage. I go for Samus's Down-Air and managed to get the meteor smash. I jump back up towards the stage and do the Up-B and wind up getting stuck under the stage just inches from the edge.

Although, I will admit that it is kinda dumb to say that the stage killed me in the sense that I should have known not to take that risk but at the same time it is a reasonable thing to say in maybe a few situations. But nine out of ten cases where someone says "The stage killed me" is basically due to something that they stupidly did or didn't do that resulted in them getting KO-ed and makes about as much sense as saying that "the game won't let me double jump so I can try to recover" (I've heard that several times before).
Yoy making no sense. Youre saing that it is and isn't the stage's fault it seems

Gaudeo

Smash Cadet
All of those hazards are so telegraphed that any experienced player should be able to avoid them. If your friends play with you enough to complain about them, they should be able to avoid them.
As for being thrown or hit into a hazard, that's just good play.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
It's actually our own fault for choosing the horrible stages in the first place, but I guess it's not as much our fault as it is Sakurai's for including those stages.

But yes, the stages kill us.

V. Mizrahi

Smash Rookie
It kinda does make a little sense, at least in my world anyway lol. Although I do tend to go on rather than getting right to the point.

What I'm saying is basically, the stage does kill us but it is our fault for not doing what is necessary to make sure it doesn't kill us, whether it be dodging a grab or the hazard itself. The hazard and the player's actions together are dependant upon each other. It is mostly the player's fault, slightly the stage's.

Top Bottom