• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do we play brawl because it's connected to melee?

dark-war-cloud

Smash Journeyman
Title^
I ask this question because i notice that A LOT of melee players don't like brawl, but also many do like it.
Now, don't get me wrong, i am a big fan of brawl. I feel ashamed to say it, but i like the campiness and the depth rather than melee's split second decisions and fast playstyle. But, i digress; back to the issue.
I think that the reason many people like brawl as much as melee is that they have a bias. They think "It's related to melee, IT MUST BE GOOD."
Do you SmashBoarders think that there is a bias because Brawl is supposed to be melee 2.0?
I don't know what to say, because i am self aware that I i say no, i will be being fanboyish.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
We play Brawl because we love Smash. Brawl != Melee 2.0. They're very different depth wise, one is harder to learn and the other isn't. It's all personal preference when it comes down to it though.

Glick

Smash Lord
I think I play Brawl because its connected to smash brothers, which is a series I've always played. Melee may be better, but I think a main reason why people play brawl who played mleee is the community that came with it.

M.K

Level 55
You mean, if Brawl wasn't part of the Super Smash Bros. Series, would I still play it?
Of course! I just love the concept of a collabrative Nintendo fighter!

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
No.

People play Brawl because it's a good game. There are, in fact, only a handful of people who call themselves "competitive players", and b*tch about Brawl being a different game in every possible corner. That makes it look like them were in the majority.

It's a good game, no matter what the Melee whores say. It's just those "competitive players", who are looking too much in the past and mourn about Brawl not being Melee instead of getting better.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
You're basically asking whether melee alters our perceptions of brawl, and the answer is "of course". IF Final Fantasy VII and Aidyn Chronicles were the only RPGs I had ever played, I would think Final Fantasy VII were the greatest RPG, but that's not true so I'm not all that impressed by Final Fantasy VII. When I first played Super Mario Galaxy, I knew a lot of what to expect and exaluated a lot of the mechanics on the basis of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine. Yes, I do like brawl better than melee, but it's obvious that my years of playtime in both smash 64 and melee greatly influenced how I looked at the game. If nothing else, mistakes made then greatly enhanced my initial ability at brawl as I knew a lot about what it takes to win in a smash game that I didn't before.

Now, the other question is whether a lot of people who like brawl would like brawl if melee (and presumably smash 64) didn't exist. I'm going to guess they would. I can be honest with myself; the main reason I got into smash was because of the Nintendo characters and fact that the mechanics reminded me more of a platforming game than a fighting game. In all three smash games, your character moves with a lot of the freedom typical of a platformer, and in all three smash games, you have a bunch of cool Nintendo characters. In all three games, you are able to do every basic move in the game after playing just one match; they're all very inviting at low levels (which most people were at when they decided they liked the games). Most brawl fans would look at brawl quite a bit differently if melee didn't exist no doubt since those experiences impact us all, but I doubt that very many would not like brawl in that case.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
No- I got interested in Smash thanks to an article in a Pokemon magazine that I got when I was younger. It was showing a preview of Smash Bros. for the N64, and I thought that it looked cool because you could play as a Pokemon.
At that time I didn't know any characters except for Mario, DK, Pikachu, and Link, because I had never played a Nintendo game except on someone else's copy of the GBC Pokemon games lol.

Cirno

Smash Journeyman
I bought Brawl because Melee was the best fighting game I had ever played.

I play Brawl because Brawl is fun.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I don't believe that's it at all.

I loved Smash64 and Melee. I now play Brawl for the same reason I played the previous two SSB's.

All my life, I have played adventure and RPG games. I never liked any other types of video games other than the Mario Kart racing series.
By the same token, I couldn't see myself getting into any other competitive fighter series. For fighters, it's only Smash for me.

Why is this? It's because of something that appeals to me and many in particular. We are attracted to the freedom and innovation the series brings to the table.
You're able to go anywhere, do anything, however with one goal in mind; to be the last one standing.

Now that appeals to me.

Deadandlivin

Smash Apprentice
Many are playing brawl because its the new game, simply put.
And ofcourse since the money is there.
Where the competive scene is the competive players are at.
I'm quite certain if the money and big tournments somehow were changed to melee, we would see a big switch.

Brawl is Imo a great game, melee is just superior though, note: Imo.

People always tend to move along with whats new, hoping for it to be better. When brawl released all who had a wii, or most bought their copy. Many didnt even know about melee since its a younger generation. Therefor alot of people who play brawl dont know that lot of melee.

So simply i believe:

Brawl is populaur game amongst veteran smashers because its a new game(Gotta try it out) and money lies there.
Brawl is a poplaur game overall since melee is something very few of the younger brawlers know about.

Face it, alot of brawling kidz, who know nothing about the deep depth of brawl, are ranging from 10-13 and know nothing about melee ^^

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Careful Spadefox, there's a rule about Melee vs. Brawl posts, and you never know what someone may interpret that rule to include.

But on the topic at hand: Obviously some people (read: Fanboys) will automatically give Brawl a high score becuase it's related to Melee, or in a borader sense, Smash Bros. However, this happens with any game series. Now, if Brawl wasn't the sequel to Melee, and instead a completley unrelated game, then it's possiible that I may never have played it in the first place, but in that case, I wouldn't even have an opinion on the game at all.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
You're able to go anywhere, do anything, however with one goal in mind; to be the last one standing.
You just made the game sound 100x more epic :laugh:.
That should be the tagline of SSB4.

brawlmaniac

Smash Lord
Well I don't like Brawl just because it's like melee. I like all 3 smash games and I'm sure I would like a 4th one if it was added. I'm glad brawl is somewhat like melee though and not a completely diff game. And yeah I think the slower gameplay is more fun than the fast paced memorized combos of melee. You guys know what I mean right???:laugh:

Coroxive

Smash Cadet
I play Brawl for everything it has to offer; stage-builder, co-op on story, online, EVERYTHING!

It seem closely related to Melee, I agree, but on the other hand, all the next smash's (if they do make them) will probably be a Brawl 2.0 or something, just better graphically and online wise.

I'm not bashing Brawl or Hal Laboratories, I'm just trying to express myself. But in response to your question, I play brawl for everything it has to offer, not just because it hosts Solid Snake or Sonic, not because it has Online, only because I'M A SMASHER AND ALWAYS WILL BE.

Coroxive

Smash Cadet
Face it, alot of brawling kidz, who know nothing about the deep depth of brawl, are ranging from 10-13 and know nothing about melee ^^

I agree, but then again, I don't. I'm 16, and I own all 3 smashes and have played all 3 numerous times, over and over again. My high school has like a million people in it who've all played Melee and/or Brawl (mostly Melee).

So saying that is kind of biased, no offense. But it is true, since the "newer" generation of kids hasn't had anything but Wii's, PS3's and Xbox 360's, they probably don't even know what a Nintendo 64 is, haha.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
The only reason why I play Brawl is because I don't want to be one of those people who go back to Melee just because Brawl isn't as good. I also only play Brawl because it is part of the SSB series, nothing else. I don't like the game, the way it feels, or most of the new characters. But I still play it because it is SSB.

My opinion, Melee is the best out of the series, but I won't go back to Melee because if I did I would be 'A b!tchy whiner that can't adapt to another game'.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Because Brawl is another form of Smash, not necessarily like Melee, but is unique in it's own way, and I myself just found this out.

CompassTosser

Smash Apprentice
I play Brawl simply because its Brawl. Melee was fun while it lasted, same with 64. They each had their time, and now Brawl is having its turn. Brawl is fun because all of the new features that give you something to do, especially online play. Its still fun to go back and play the other 2 smash games, but right now its Brawl that I find the most amusing.

Nibbles 2

Smash Apprentice
I play Brawl because I find it more fun than the other Smashes. If Brawl bored me I wouldn't play it purely because it's the sequel to Melee.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Never played Melee. I played coz its connected to the original smash. Too bad about Ness though :)

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Gtfo now...
I never played Melee until February or March this year because of the fact that when I got a Gamecube in 2004/5, the game was sold out in most places, and when I got it in 2005, it kept coming up with an error.
They probably didn't have a Gamecube, don't like buying used games, or don't want to pay more money than the original price for a new copy on ebay or amazon.

Tainted_Knives

Smash Cadet
I've never played Melee either....I bought brawl to relive my childhood memories of SSB 1...

so I could care less...and have no desire to pick up a gamecube just so I can see what everyone b****es about...

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Wasn't the reason to play Smash was to see the greatess Nintnedo icons duke it out in a Free For All Battle Royal?

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
No.

People play Brawl because it's a good game. There are, in fact, only a handful of people who call themselves "competitive players", and b*tch about Brawl being a different game in every possible corner. That makes it look like them were in the majority.

It's a good game, no matter what the Melee whores say. It's just those "competitive players", who are looking too much in the past and mourn about Brawl not being Melee instead of getting better.
See, this is a perfectly good example of why some people (Including me) don't go back to Melee, even if we think is is better.

We are instantly called names, and saying that we can't 'get better'.
While this is not entirely true, those people Have the compasity to get better, they judt choose not to do so.
Anyone who has some time, has a wii and a controler can be good at Brawl.
Same with Melee.

Melee, did infact have more techniques and was harder then Brawl, thus saying that it did take more skill (Whatever that means) to play, rather then Brawl.

But back to my point. Spade, it is people like you that I don't play Melee anymore.

[[[[[[And if you even try to say that I am equally a "b*tch" for not playing Melee, because of what people think of me. Well, your wrong.
^^This comment was ment to only to be taken seriously if you did infact bring this up. If not, Please, disreguard it.]]]]]]

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Wasn't the reason to play Smash was to see the greatess Nintnedo icons duke it out in a Free For All Battle Royal?

Well, apperently not a lot of people like to play for fun anymore.... Well, at least to those who think that those who still want to play Melee are stupid.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Well, apperently not a lot of people like to play for fun anymore.... Well, at least to those who think that those who still want to play Melee are stupid.
Just because we favor Melee over Brawl and are competitive, doesn't mean we're stupid or don't like to have fun....

dark-war-cloud

Smash Journeyman
Oh lord, how can we say melee takes more skill if there is no scale to which someone can't get better on both games?

Drizzt6195

Smash Apprentice
People who play melee and hate brawl seem just like those on cs 1.6 when css came out, yeah you have to get use to another game but eventually they'll play brawl

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
I play Brawl because it's connected to the Smash Bros series to be honest.

I was a big competitive Smasher back in the days of Melee. And while Brawl may not be as "competitive" as Melee, it doesn't really bother me. Smash is smash, and I'm up for something fresher and newer.

Besides, Brawl just gives me a second Smash game to dominate competitively =P

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Yes, if you played Melee (even just a little, and liked it, or didn't like it and decided to try Brawl) then in a sense Melee motivated you to play Brawl, or to give Brawl a chance if you didn't like Melee.

If you had never heard of Smash before Brawl though, I don't think there is a connection.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Correction, ALL players that played melee competitively know brawl is trash, but they play it anyway if and only if melee has died in their area.

Top Bottom