• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you ever get confused on members.

Mr.Bazerkus

Smash Journeyman
I've started to notice that my recognition of different members has slowly shifted as I've stayed on the site.

It used to be I would read the name of a member and then If I saw that same name I would remember that user from before in most cases.

But I'm not sure why but maybe it because of the way we recognize other humans.

I'm starting to recognize users by their avatars for example I could list of a bunch of avatars but I wouldn't be able to list of their names.

Which is why custom avatars can get so confusing some times. For example their was this one user with a Anime avatar. In another post another user had the same avatar. I had gotten in the act of recognizing the first user from that avatar. So I replied without even looking. After a while I realized that this was not the same person.

I think it has to do with the fact we remember people not by their names but by their faces. Which is why if 2 people you knew ever had their body switched or plastic surgery it would be so weird because you've learned to recognize them from the faces so you'd have to get used to their new ones.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
How I identify users depends on what forum I'm on. Over at OCR, I used to go exclusively by avatars. Here, I just go by the color of a poster's name.

Mr.Bazerkus

Smash Journeyman
I use a combination of color and avatars.

I don't even know who you are but I can be pretty sure I've never seen you before unless you've changed your avvie since I've seen you last.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I recognize names. =O

I also recognize people by thier sigs...and the way they type.

Mr.Bazerkus

Smash Journeyman
^ you changed your avatar

I wouldn't have notice probably if you had keept your avatar and changed your name.

rhan

Smash Hero
I basically do the same as the thread starter. But it's different for each forum.

Like in my area's local thread I ussually just look at the pictures and know who they are. But outside of that I have to look at the names of people so I don't get mixed up with someone else.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Mix of avatars, typing style, name colour and... well, the name itself for me.

I'm starting to lose touch though. I only know two people in this thread so far.
... One of them's me. :(

slave1

Smash Lord
well you have not been here long. but yeah after surfing around you begin to recognize certain peoples writing stiles. and to to help you so you are not confused start reading names. if you do that you will never have that problem

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Avatars do help me recognise people more than names. for example, I thought Blackadder was Crimson King because he's now got the avatar he had for ages on XD

Blackadder

Smash Master
CK had this avatar once?

Awww, way to shred any last sense of originality that I had going. =<

Mr.Bazerkus

Smash Journeyman
This is my 3rd account

My first was Smasthebirdy and I got banned for being a troll I got that account 3-14-2008
anybody remember the (Do any girls want to train with me) thread ya that was me and the Nerds thread was me too. Smashthebirdy is now my troll account when I feel like trolling but don't want My current account to get banned.

My second NakedSnake was more of a contributing member he kind of was annoying but I was getting used to the forums got that 7-18-08 a couple of days after I got banned( I wanted a fresh start from my old account plus when I came back my rep wouldn't have been good anyways.

Third account was made because swf won't let you change your name and I wanted a name that wasn't character specific just in case I change my main. Which I ask a bunch of adims but none would do it so I decided to get a new account and start all over again. I think of this as a good way to start all over again and get a fresh start account was made 10-16-08

and mic whats up with all the Mods changing their avatars in sync first it was the cats now its the grimmers.

I remember when you had the charizard avvie.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
I recognize names. People change their avatars a lot. And I know who usually posts in what forums.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Oh, so the thread starter is the guy that made the nerd post. =P So, know that makes it so I know 3 people here, including me.

I was reading these new posts, and saw slave1's avatar, and thought it was M2K...=/ Then I read the post and then read the name...

Amide

Smash Lord
Avatars do help me recognise people more than names. for example, I thought Blackadder was Crimson King because he's now got the avatar he had for ages on XD
The last time he had that avatar was like five months ago. But I had the same reaction...

For some reason, even if their's a poster I never see, I'd recognize if they changed their icon. I bet there's someone that recognizes my avatar lol.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Sigs our a better way of remembering users since they have a habit of not changing.
My sig is set to change every time you refresh the page :laugh:

I've never really thought about it I guess. Or at least never ran into any trouble with it.

For the last few years I'd kept with the default forum avatar 'Sky Dragon' which is like a black dragon. When custom avatars came in for everyone, I decided to change to a Golden Dragon.

Right now I'm switching between that one and this Magikarp.

Mr.Bazerkus

Smash Journeyman
I did it again

I was looking at the Epic Thread Thread

and I saw a member with a colbert avatar.

I thought it was **** but it wasn't it was actually this new guy. I didn't even realize I was doing it.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I used to do it constantly in the Brawl boards but now I only do it in the Light House. If I were to read a Brawl thread now I'd have check every name and avatar.

Blazer

Smash Ace
Never noticed names at all aside from mafia players from when I played mafia a lot here. Of course having been here so long, I can't be expected to remember anyone either <_<

Mr.Bazerkus

Smash Journeyman
Your avve is pretty Memorable I think that it that makes it easier to tell who you are.

If you ever changed your avatar I would notice. Which I think you did around the time custom avatar came back

M.K

Level 55
Unless someone is a bonafide genius or complete moronic douchebag, I don't really remember names.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
What about me, Blackadder? Surely you recognize...

Smooth Criminal

Lol. But yeah. A lot of people on here either recognize me by the manually-typed signature at the end of my post or my avatar. In fact, as I recall, Blackadder and a few others were actually disheartened when I tried to change my Mastur Cheef avatar.

As for other people, I usually go by their avatars. I haven't mistaken anybody for anyone else yet...

...except for MiniMic. For some reason, I thought the other Mic (with the numbers) changed his sn for some funky reason.

Smooth Criminal

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
This is my 3rd account

My first was Smasthebirdy and I got banned for being a troll I got that account 3-14-2008
anybody remember the (Do any girls want to train with me) thread ya that was me and the Nerds thread was me too. Smashthebirdy is now my troll account when I feel like trolling but don't want My current account to get banned.

My second NakedSnake was more of a contributing member he kind of was annoying but I was getting used to the forums got that 7-18-08 a couple of days after I got banned( I wanted a fresh start from my old account plus when I came back my rep wouldn't have been good anyways.

Third account was made because swf won't let you change your name and I wanted a name that wasn't character specific just in case I change my main. Which I ask a bunch of adims but none would do it so I decided to get a new account and start all over again. I think of this as a good way to start all over again and get a fresh start account was made 10-16-08

and mic whats up with all the Mods changing their avatars in sync first it was the cats now its the grimmers.

I remember when you had the charizard avvie.
Uh...you do realize that we don't allow multiple accounts, right?

Mr.Bazerkus

Smash Journeyman
^ shhh don't tell the Mods.

and besides those other accounts are pretty much dead. Look at their last post day.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
Well I don't really think that I do. Then again, I don't thin kthat I really know too many of the members here that well to begin with so I don't really get them confused with anyone else on this site.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
I only ever saw the Hiemitar version and I've made this mistake more than once, keep doing a double take before realising.

But it makes me feel British
The Brits don't want you back convict.
That's what they said in Hawaii, too. :(
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
My peripherals pick up on them more than I do directly, I have a "sense" of who I start a response to before I scroll up and check their name..

Odd, only smashboards does this to me, probably because of the large number of users.

KaoS

BRoomer
BRoomer
Usually I helicopter my dick around, smash my cock against the screen and what ever post it lands on I end up reading. Rinse and repeat.

So no, I don't get around to reading that many names with all the dick swinging that goes about while I'm on these forums.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I mostly always go by a members avatar and post count, sometimes color, (like Victra who changed his color from pink to blue) whenever I see a certain avatar from that user' i'll always picture them as that, just like their avi, xD.

Top Bottom