• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you know how to Chain Grab at zero % in sheik dittos?

Brookman

Smash Hero
I just picked up sheik recently and I'm wondering how many players know how to CG at 0%

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
Nobody, because no opponent is that predictable with his DI. And if you have to wait to watch for DI then you'll miss it until maybe 20% (unless you practice it a lot, but it's hard because nobody likes Sheik dittos and nobody likes chaingrabbing in Sheik dittos in friendlies).

Can you even do it at 0% if they DI away? The lowest I've done it is at 7% (If you dthrow at 0% and either tech chase or jab reset then they'll be at 7%).

Realistically, by the time you grab them they'll be a high enough % where you can cg to death anyway. Unless they jump out of it early.

Brookman

Smash Hero
You can down throw at 0 and regrab regardless of DI. Do you know how to?

Now, if they don't DI or DI to your back you merely need to grab or turn and grab, however, with full away it's a little trickier.

Arigon

Smash Apprentice
Just wave dash if they di or if they hit the ground and tech just tech chase if they dont di it makes it easy for you. Once they get higher percents i do either u-smash or d-smash.

Brookman

Smash Hero
I have trouble too maybe dash attack cancelled grabs?

I dunno JC grabs don't seem to work >_> either that or I'm too slow :(
I don't have trouble doing it anymore cause I practiced the other night after Spawn CG'd me over and over like a big meanie :D.

I call the technique Smash Grabbing.

It's a pretty simple concept. You know how to do a smash attack with the A button or B button? Same philosophy here, just with grab (Z). If you do a standing grab you will see a tiny wedge shaped cloud of smoke shoot from near Sheik's heal. If you do a Dash Grab you will see that wedge shape along with the dust from dashing forwards. If you do a Smash Grab you will ONLY do the the Dash Grab, no normal dash animation occurs.

This, to me, is the same concept as pivoting since, if you smash grab to the direction sheik is not facing she pivots (literally)a grab.Also, I'm pretty sure it's faster than just turning and grabbing.

Train of thought stops here.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Aren't dash grabs 1 frame slower than standing grabs? They just have really different grab hitbox locations. Smash grabbing the other way is just pivoting a grab without a dash in the other direction involved, I think. I've never tried smash grabbing the direction Sheik was already facing, though...

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Dthrow
jab
dash grab
jab
dash grab
yes but what if the sheiks he's dittoing know how to jump?

the "smash grabbing" works (i've been using this for a while... don't really question how it works though lol i assume it has something to do with the grab hitbox on the dash grab extending outwards and how her hand grabs even behind her sometimes because of the nature of the grab hitbox but whatever it's technicalities), it seemed to work on kage's ganon when i was cging it at 3 (yay for single needle) and pkmvodka's sheik when we dittoed on saturday so whatever.

Brookman

Smash Hero
I don't feel like hunting down hit box images atm, but I imagine shek's dash grab works similar to marth's (marth's dash grab hitbox goes from his hand to his feet). This would explain why you can do the smash grab and still cg people who don't DI.

Ankoku, I don't know if you mentioned the difference between dash and standing grabs because of JC grabbing, but I'd like to mention this for anyone who doesn't know anyway: JC grabbing is as many frames slower as it takes your character to jump. This is why you can't CG with JC grabs as early as normal dash grabs.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Ankoku, I don't know if you mentioned the difference between dash and standing grabs because of JC grabbing, but I'd like to mention this for anyone who doesn't know anyway: JC grabbing is as many frames slower as it takes your character to jump. This is why you can't CG with JC grabs as early as normal dash grabs.
JC grabs are not always slower, if done frame perfect. As it happens, Sheik's frame perfect JC grab is just as fast as her dash grab.

scotu said:
The following characters have dash grabs that come out faster than their JC'd grabs:
(character - minimum # of frames faster: assumes perfect JC)
Peach - 1
ICs - 1
Yoshi - 8
Zelda - 1
Samus - 1

The following characters have dash grabs that get put away faster than their JC'd grabs:
(character - # of frames faster: assumes perfect JC)
Yoshi - 10
Link - 11
Y. Link - 11
Samus - 21

The following characters have dash grabs that come out at the same time as their JC'd grabs:
(assuming perfect JC)
Sheik

Bowser
Link

anomaly

Smash Apprentice
the "smash grabbing" works (i've been using this for a while... don't really question how it works though lol i assume it has something to do with the grab hitbox on the dash grab extending outwards and how her hand grabs even behind her sometimes because of the nature of the grab hitbox but whatever it's technicalities), it seemed to work on kage's ganon when i was cging it at 3 (yay for single needle) and pkmvodka's sheik when we dittoed on saturday so whatever.
What is smash grabbing?? I wish we just had a list of good AT's for sheik. I didn't know about dash cancelled grabs till couple of weeks ago.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
I don't have trouble doing it anymore cause I practiced the other night after Spawn CG'd me over and over like a big meanie :D.

I call the technique Smash Grabbing.

It's a pretty simple concept. You know how to do a smash attack with the A button or B button? Same philosophy here, just with grab (Z). If you do a standing grab you will see a tiny wedge shaped cloud of smoke shoot from near Sheik's heal. If you do a Dash Grab you will see that wedge shape along with the dust from dashing forwards. If you do a Smash Grab you will ONLY do the the Dash Grab, no normal dash animation occurs.

This, to me, is the same concept as pivoting since, if you smash grab to the direction sheik is not facing she pivots (literally)a grab.Also, I'm pretty sure it's faster than just turning and grabbing.

Train of thought stops here.
LOL, I never saw this post. That's a really smart method, thanks Mike.

For those of you who don't know, you don't jc grabs or boost grab when you're chaingrabbing...or at least as sheik when you're trying to cg, (I know like with fox you have to jc for cg'ing... I don't boost grab because it's usually slower except with like Doc, XD ). When you first go for your grab you jc it though, just not during a cg.

I hope that made sense, I'm going to go test this out because I've gotten terrible at cg'ing again due to brawl /johns. Time to start practicing again so I can get back onto the same level I was before brawl.

taimaishu99

Smash Rookie
whats jab canceling? o_0
btw how exactly do you CG?

I mean i get the idea but where do you target the grab exactly or does target not exactly matter and its just timing?

because usually so far Id just dthrow then throw in a smash and juggle them around doesnt always work but usually works if the person doesnt DI well

enza99

Smash Rookie
i really need chain grabbing in my arsenal lol
thatd be helpful =P

wavedashing i dont really use in fights
shffling i cant l cancel right

needles i can jump throw and kill ppl like fox and falco just fine
so basically... itd help to kno how to chaingrab lol
at least i can juggle and play fairly well =D

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Jab to grab doesn't work against good people. >_> Just follow what I said earlier if you need help cg'ing at 0. At like 20-30 it becomes extremely easy for cg'ing... I'm pretty sure for like everyone you can cg at that percent.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
LOL, I never saw this post. That's a really smart method, thanks Mike.

For those of you who don't know, you don't jc grabs or boost grab when you're chaingrabbing...or at least as sheik when you're trying to cg, (I know like with fox you have to jc for cg'ing... I don't boost grab because it's usually slower except with like Doc, XD ). When you first go for your grab you jc it though, just not during a cg.

I hope that made sense, I'm going to go test this out because I've gotten terrible at cg'ing again due to brawl /johns. Time to start practicing again so I can get back onto the same level I was before brawl.
Wow, I did NOT know that. This really helps. Smash grabbing is a cool idea too. I'll make sure to try it. I used to have trouble cg'ing Sheik at 0%. Hopefully this will remedy that problem.

Does anyone know why it works this way? I'm guessing it's because of the larger grab range?

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
It's because you're using less frames to grab them... (I`m pretty sure that's what Cort told me, could be wrong).

d snyde

Smash Apprentice
Chain grabbing just takes time to learn. And time to know how to do it for each character.

soap

Smash Hero
wow fo real... way back in the day drephen told me u have to jc to chaingrab and thats what ive always done and it works for the most part... i feel like its safer anyway to just always jc, cuz if u miss the regrab and they tech in place u recover faster and wont get dsmashed. can u kinda explain why regular dash grab is better, or ill just experiment sometime, but i hardly chaingrab anyway, its easier for me to just ftilt and combo

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
I can't really explain it, sorry Soap. In most cg's you normally jc, but it's weird for Sheik. Test it out on your own and you'll find out that if you don't jc then it's like 3x easier. I like to chaingrab because then I get to 0-death like every stock.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
sheik cgs are weird because her dash grab is so good.

she like lunges and then reaches forward and THEN does the grab and does it really fast so it comes out the same speed as her jc grab so at low %s it's easy to do

after like 30 i find jc grab is easier because most grabs are jced so the speed feels more normal and i didn't memorize the timings like i did for below 30%s

i hate sheik dittos without cg... it feels so weird for me.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Watch M2K vs Isai/CJ? Anyways, it is possible... it's just mad hard. Especially when they di fully away at 0, etc. It's pretty easy at about 20. Then you can cg til... /asks Plank since he's gay. I usually cg to like 7-... then do something depending on how they di. If they di fully away you can keep cg'ing... but if they di up and to the right/left I usually uptilt to fair and edgeguard, etc..

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
I typically just jab to grab from 0 to 30. You can chain throw with dash grabs until 100-110%, depending on their DI and stuff, and you just finish from there.

I believe you get more range with dash grabbing than jump cancel grabbing. You get that extra grab range by lunging forward instead of just doing the standing grab, but that lunge also gives you more lag. Use the dash grab during chain grabs, since you know your grab is guaranteed. Use the jump cancelled grab for everything else, so you won't get punished as often for missed grabs.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
What is boost grabbing? I can't seem to find anything detailing it. Can someone please explain how and which frames to do it at? Thanks in advance

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
its like when you're running, you do the dash attack animation (by pressing a) then canceling it with grab. Shiek i think is the only character where this sort of grab is actually noticeably faster.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
I typically just jab to grab from 0 to 30. You can chain throw with dash grabs until 100-110%, depending on their DI and stuff, and you just finish from there.

I believe you get more range with dash grabbing than jump cancel grabbing. You get that extra grab range by lunging forward instead of just doing the standing grab, but that lunge also gives you more lag. Use the dash grab during chain grabs, since you know your grab is guaranteed. Use the jump cancelled grab for everything else, so you won't get punished as often for missed grabs.
Jab to grab doesn't work vs good players. Against not so good players it always works since they have no idea how to get out of it (me being one of them XD) I'm pretty sure you just CC it and then sidedodge but I haven't done Sheik dittos vs someone that to me. Brookman might have, I'm not sure.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
grab --> jab --> grab for sheik ditto is not a combo if they know where the "X" or "Y" buttons are.

under around 15 grab --> grab works it's just hard it all works.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Ahhh, so you jump out of it. *facepalm*

Magus420

Smash Master
As long as they have 5 or more damage after the throw's damage you can regrab. You'd have to grab them at 0 and also have the throw be very stale for that not to happen. Just press forward then Z immediately afterwards so that you dash for 1 frame then begin the grab on the next.

Brookman

Smash Hero
As long as they have 5 or more damage after the throw's damage you can regrab. You'd have to grab them at 0 and also have the throw be very stale for that not to happen. Just press forward then Z immediately afterwards so that you dash for 1 frame then begin the grab on the next.
I dash and hit z at the same time. I should record the difference in the animations..

Top Bottom