• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do You Like Clone Characters Or Normal Characters

Do You Clone Characters or Characters.

• Clones

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Not Clones

Votes: 14 63.6%

• Total voters

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Hey Villy,

I like normal clones, but noticed that wasnt an option.

My favourite Mewtwo clone is Lucario.

:troll:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Depends on the character.

:4ness: I very slightly prefer to :4lucas: (Opposite of Brawl)
:4feroy:>>>>>:4lucina:>>:4marth:
:4darkpit:>:4pit:
:4mario:>:4drmario:
:4link:>:4tlink:
:4falco:>:4fox:
:4falcon:=:4ganondorf:

So... Either. Or Both.
Either or Both.png

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I'll be honest, I rather have less characters than have full clones included in the game. I'm fine with semi-clones, as long as there's only one per moveset base (ie I'm fine with Luigi but not Dr. Mario).

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
It depends on the character.

I prefer Roy to Marth because I like Roy's offensive, rushdown playstyle in comparison to Marth's playstyle however I prefer Marth over Lucina because I don't get the satisfaction of landing tippers and knowing my spacing is on point with Lucina.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Do I like real bacon or imitation bacon?

Honestly, clones are just there to pad out the roster and don't take much development time, and are added later on a per desire basis long after the initial cast as been decided on at the beginning of development. You have your "semi-clones" like Luigi and Wolf who are only slightly similar to their base character who don't even classify as a clone. Then you have your regularly thought of clones that vary slightly in mechanics like Falco and Toon Link who play largely the same and have similar specials but differ on a few points, offering for a more subtle difference in playstyle.

Then you have Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario who were meant to be alternate characters and have a couple of token differences that set them apart and thus get widespread, undue hatred.

I won't vote, because I like both. I like characters and big rosters.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Luigi style clones yes they are fine because they actually add variety to play styles unlike Doctor Mario and friends.

The scope of the poll and thread really need to be expanded upon because as is it's a really weird question.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well if it means a significant difference in playstyles between source and clone. Like :mariomelee: < :drmario:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
In a nutshell...case by case and based on my preferred playstyle...

:4link:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:4tlink:
:4feroy:>:4lucina:>:4marth:
:4ganondorf:>:4falcon:
:4falco:>:4fox:
:4lucas:>:4ness:
:4luigi:>:4mario:>:4drmario:
:4darkpit:>:4pit:

----

However I'd prefer if these characters actually have some more variation in their moves from their originals at least without them being an obvious palette swap...

Last edited:

FairyLip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SmoothJazz
As with most people, it depends, but I tend to prefer the original in most cases, or at least like them equally.

My biggest exception is the links, which go:

:younglinkmelee: > :4link: > Link Mii costume > :4tlink:

Last edited:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
:snake: is my favorite clone.

I enjoy both regular characters and clone characters, but there are certain characters that really shouldn't be clones anymore. For example Ganondorf. He was a last minute addition to Melee, which I understand why he ended up as a clone. But there's really no reason why he should still have some visual similarities to Captain Falcon's move set. You can only use time constraints for so long as an excuse Sakurai.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
To the people calling Luigi a clone: cringe.
It depends on how different the clone is, really. If it's a different experience than the base character, than 9/10 times, I'll prefer the clone. If it's a straight-up carbon copy, then no, Dark Pit being the exception.
I like playing :4drmario: over :4mario: although Mario is still the main.
I prefer :4feroy: over :4marth:, although Roy barely counts as a clone.
:4falco: over :4fox:(this game only).
:4marth: over :4lucina:
:4darkpit: over :4pit:
:4lucas: over :4ness:
I don't give enough of a **** about :4ganondorf:,:4falcon:,:4tlink:, or :4link: to judge.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Cone or not a clone. Doesn't matter to me. I dislike characters because of who that character is as a character.

People would think I dislike Dark Pit because he's a clone. No, I dislike him because I don't think Kid Icarus needed another character on the CSS, and if it did, it should have been Medusa or some other character with more history.

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Are we talking straight clones like Marth and Dark Pit, or semi-clones? If it's straight clones, I prefer using the normal characters more, just because in Smash 4 they're usually better.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
There's no option for "I like both".

:4drmario: > :4mario: > :4luigi:
:4link: = :4tlink:
:4fox: > :4falco:
:4ganondorf: > :4falcon:
:4ness: = :4lucas:
:4feroy: > :4marth: = :4lucina:
:4pit: = :4darkpit:

My favorite movesets (and their derivations) are Mario, Link, Ness, and Marth.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
:4mario:<:4luigi:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:4drmario:(Luigi superior to Mario, Mario far superior to Doc)
:4ness:>:4lucas:
:4pit:>:4darkpit:
:4link:<:4tlink:
:4marth:<<<<:4feroy:>>>>>:4lucina: (Roy da best)
:4fox:>:4falco:
:4mewtwo:>:151:

Total clones preferred; 4
Total originals preferred; 3

Guess the clones have it by a small margin. Although Marth edges Lucina out and Mario annihilates Doc IMO...does that balance it out or?

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Well, seeing that I main Ganondorf in every Smash Bros. game that I play (co-mained with Marth and Ike in Brawl), I gotta say that clones aren't bad. I do prefer Luigified Characters and Semi-Clones over complete clones though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom