• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you notice the input lag?

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Maybe it's my good connection, or the fact that I do online a lot, but I don't notice it unless I'm playing a really laggy person.
What about you?

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Yeah I notice it ONLY when it's orange/red connection. I've been playing wifi for like 6 months I've gotten used to the lag, Hell I can withstand maybe a 1-2 seconds of input lag but otherwise it's feels gay though/

Mattsy

Smash Apprentice
Then why are you on the online boards?
I'd assume he was answering your question.

Wi-Fi does fail. So much.

I still play online because I have no one to play offline with, and can't afford to travel.

To answer your question: Yes, I notice. Yes, it sucks. ;-;

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If you don't notice the input lag, then your ability to perceive time is unable to see a 15 frame (0.2 second) gap. How does it make you feel?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Sometimes when the lag is real bad, i can do 5 commands and only 2-3 go through. I call it Input Cancelling.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I don't get it. All of my commands come through, and I never seem to have any problems... maybe God loves me?

AgentJGV

Smash Journeyman
The lag is always there. The game has to collect the inputs from BOTH parties, send it to the servers, and then display them on the screen. I'm guessing your used to it. It happens sometimes but then if you play offline, you'll notice it again.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
I don't get it. All of my commands come through, and I never seem to have any problems... maybe God loves me?
input lag doesn't mean some of your inputs don't happen at all, it means that they don't happen WHEN you make the input. there will ALWAYS be a delay when playing online, and if you don't notice it that's just because you are used to it. if you really don't think you have any input delay, hold your controller up to the TV so you can see your controller and character at the same time. then press A or R, and you will see the delay.

SSBBChess

Smash Rookie
yea i noticed the online lag.. i hate it so much!!! I just lost another Gamebattles.com match because of input lag against a back air and forward smash happy pit.......I just quit online brawl until i can actually time a dog on thing.. gosh this is ridiculous nintendo.. I'm pretty sure they already have japan taken care of.. and its been half of a year i'm sure they either don't care , or they're highly unmotivated...

Reaperman64

Smash Apprentice
Playing online alot will make you compensate for the lag metally. then when you play offline it really screws ya over.
Lag is an inherent problem with all games. complaining about lag in an online game is like complaining snow is cold
brawl doesnt have that bad lag but playing offline alot will cause you to perceive bad lag, and most people are in the mentality of ZomG Brawl wiify!1!!1! no wayz!1!1! that they cant actually see itisnt worse than any other game

Raiken

Smash Cadet
The input lag is nothing but incredibly noticeable. I can play with it .. but it only hinders you're ability to do what you want correctly. I even have trouble on HD tvs because of the slight lag on them as well.

Sure, you can try getting used to it, but no matter what you do...

You will never do as well with it there.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Opposite of Reaperman64 said.

I only play online, when I play offline I do noticeably better. When I get home from the tournament and try to play online, I suck for about a week until I get used to it.

My idea:

Online play takes more conditioning. You can't just go and play online after weeks and weeks of offline and expect to do well. You are going to be worse, your commands won't be being inputted as fast as you remember, you make more mistakes.

Offline play takes little to no conditioning. You can play Online for MONTHS and then finally play offline, and only do BETTER. The reasoning behind this, is that you react online quicker then you do offline, because your mind is used to make up for the input delay. You make LESS mistakes, because you're doing the same thing you do online, but offline. You do things as you see them still, but you're doing it slightly faster now. You are going to be better overall.

Going to Offline from Online - You do better, but you condition to it in a matter of 1 tournament (assuming you stay and play the friendlies, etc.) and you will do WORSE when you go BACK to online. That is because your conditioning went from "online" to "offline".

Going to Online from Offline - You do HORRIBLE. You probably feel like you just picked up Brawl for the first time "bad", and you probably dislike Online because of this. The answer: You're conditioned for offline play, playing online will take you time to adjust. --BUT going from OFFLINE TO ONLINE BACK TO OFFLINE won't HURT YOU.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
I notice the delay after playing offline for a few matches. After about 5-6 online matches, I get accustomed to it.

If you don't notice the input lag, then your ability to perceive time is unable to see a 15 frame (0.2 second) gap. How does it make you feel?
Its called adaptation. People who live in high altitudes are unable to perceive the lack of air pressure, people in the south aren't as susceptable to changes in humidity. How does it feel knowing that your mind is so narrowly constricted that you can't adapt to changing environments?

Regarding my first statement in conjunction with the quote and my subsequent response to said quote: It feels good to know that Im able to adapt to different scenarios and environments. Darwinism, ftw!

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I notice the delay after playing offline for a few matches. After about 5-6 online matches, I get accustomed to it.

Its called adaptation. People who live in high altitudes are unable to perceive the lack of air pressure, people in the south aren't as susceptable to changes in humidity. How does it feel knowing that your mind is so narrowly constricted that you can't adapt to changing environments?

Regarding my first statement in conjunction with the quote and my subsequent response to said quote: It feels good to know that Im able to adapt to different scenarios and environments. Darwinism, ftw!
This guy wins 10 interwebs.

And my above post basically backs up what he says <_>

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
yea i noticed the online lag.. i hate it so much!!! I just lost another Gamebattles.com match because of input lag against a back air and forward smash happy pit.......I just quit online brawl until i can actually time a dog on thing.. gosh this is ridiculous nintendo.. I'm pretty sure they already have japan taken care of.. and its been half of a year i'm sure they either don't care , or they're highly unmotivated...
agree so hardcore. Ever play online halo with like 30 guys? yeah, input lag doens't exist there, so why here? still can get laggy but there's no input lag.

Reaperman64

Smash Apprentice
i dont get why people bycott online so much i mean it doesnt hurt to play online and

Top Bottom