• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you play with tap jump on or off?

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I play with it on, but I'm not sure if I should. Does it even matter though?
I could adapt to playing it with off if you guys recommend me doing so.
Are there any real benefits to having it off as opposed to on?

M15t3R E

Smash Master
As far as I know, K Prime, that is true.
However, I believe Anther plays with tap jump off. I have to ask him about it.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Care to explain why you prefer tap jump off? Only thing I can think of is it might be easier for some people to do utilts.

edit: Anther plays with it on from what I remember.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Care to explain why you prefer tap jump off? Only thing I can think of is it might be easier for some people to do utilts.

edit: Anther plays with it on from what I remember.
I never said I prefer tap jump off. In fact, I already explained I play with tap jump on...
I'm wondering if there are any benefits to having it off.
I still need to ask Anther about it.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
I know EXACTLY why he plays with TJ off without even asking him.

In his videos, I often see him Instant Input (I don't care what anyone says. I'm using this term, dammit.) a Uair to launch his opponents into the air for some of his combos. Though it can be done with tap jump off, my controller has this nasty habit of performing a smash attack instead.... even if I held the control stick. With tap jump on, however, you bypass this and jump into the air, IMMEDIATELY able to do a Uair. It's a small timeframe between input differences, but it matters.

Peregrinus Falconidae

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it's really a matter of preference if you ask me. I play with it off so that I can do utilts easier, and to coin Muhznit's term, Instant Input (actually very good term, easy to remember) an uair as often when I used to have tap jump on I would try to and the game would make me usmash. I've only changed to tj off for about 2 weeks though and I like it more, but it's your choice.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
If that's the only benefit then I'll just stick with tap jump on. I can do u-tilts easily without accidentally jumping by tilting the joystick up slightly and pressing A. Also, it's extremely simple to combo into u-tilts even with tap jump on. But if tap jump is off, it seems to make u-airs more difficult to perform. I'll tinker around with it a bit more, but I believe tap jump on is the better setting. At least for me.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I always keep it off. The main reason people keep it off I think is because they'll accidentally do aerials when they only meant to uptilt.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
It doesnt matter either way. do whichever you prefer as neither helps nor hurt you. if you played melee (like anther) you got used to tap jump. i personally prefer it off.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
If you are used to u-tilting in melee, which anther is, you can do it with tap jump on...it is really a matter of preference. If you want to make sure you never mess up, play with it off. I personally like it because it makes QAC-ing a u-air easier, even though i rarely do it.

therofl

Smash Cadet
i play tap jump on. i short hop with the joystick (haha) i know most people use x or y occasionally. there is one thing you can do w/ tap jump off tho. if you quick attack diagonally into the ground and end up next to your opponent, instead of jumping you can stay stationary on the ground and press up tilt. if you had tap jump on, you would end up jumping.

also, 5ive youre not as cool as you think. go **** yourself

Charisma

Smash Rookie
Anther uses default, i turn tap off, makes no sense..... all it does it make me jump when i try to uair or utilt

supermario27mx

Smash Ace
I play with it on, but I'm not sure if I should. Does it even matter though?
I could adapt to playing it with off if you guys recommend me doing so.
Are there any real benefits to having it off as opposed to on?
I feel more comfortable w/out tap jump but u should play with whatever settings u feel
more comfortable with
some pros of TJ: easier QAC for some people, direct imput (like MK's Uair)
some pros of no TJ: not accidentally wasting a jump if u mash ur stick to much, easier imput of Utilt
idk if u dudes can add anything

Top Bottom