• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you reccomend Ike?

FailKitty

Smash Rookie
I'm currently a new player to SSBB, and extremely new to competitively playing SSBB.
I was just wondering if any here would reccomend Ike as a starting off character in the competitive scene as this game, i mean, i know characters are made for doing different things, but Ike is currently my favourite.

I just want to know one thing;
Am i going to get my *** kicked playing with Ike? xD

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Yeah, you'll get your *** kicked. Although....

...Nope, you'll get your *** kicked. Make him a secondary if you really want to use him.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
He is fun and can be pretty beastly but he is slow and predictable. Using him as a secondary is best.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
You can use him, but as far as I know, only one person has won a tournament going solo Ike (Kirk).

If you're new to competitive smash I'd say pick someone else. While he's easy to learn, he has some match-ups that destroy him basically (Falco, Olimar, D3). Joking aside, MK is by far the most noob friendly, easy to use, use to get wins with character in the game. D3 can be easy once you got the chaingrabbing down.

Melfice z

Smash Ace
If youre just starting out and wanna go competitive, youre best bet is going for a high tier character as nintendo freak reccomended. But dont force yourself into using any character. Use who you're comfortable with and/or who gives you the wins :)

BlueHurricane

Smash Cadet
I say go for it. It's a long, difficult path that few choose, but it will be worth it. You will get beaten down. A lot. However, through that experience you will hopefully improve with Ike.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Ike is absolutely no where to be found at national tournaments. So no I do not reccomend him.
A_B placed 33rd out of like.. 200? At WHOBO.

Of course, you won't place -extremely- high with Ike at a national tourney. But it's cool to play and see how far you can get regardless.

Ike isn't that bad to start off with because you're forced to learn some of the intricacies of the game to be good with him. The idea and application of spacing is one such example.

Whether or not you main Ike, I would recommend learning to play him alongside your other character(s). (Don't hesitate from learning several characters.. it's how a lot of people find their mains.)

theeboredone

Smash Legend
In all honesty, if I had to redo my pick for brawl, knowing Ike's difficult road ahead and all, I would have picked Snake or something.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
If i knew Ike's difficult road, i would have started with Pikachu right off the bat :ohwell: but my luck make me use Ike since i love swords, range, and power.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Ike has a big sword.
This... so many times this.

Seriously though, I play him because I like him. Play who you enjoy playing with, unless you want to win tournaments in which case you'd better pick up a high tier character (which works out if you enjoy playing with them anyways). I don't care about winning and losing because my local tourneys are cheap and I mostly just play online anyways, so I play as Ike and Ganondorf exclusively, because it's fun when I do win.

:034:

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
Character dedication has zero rewards at the end of the day. Its hard being an Ike main. Especially when your main rival mains Falco >_>. That said, I still main Ike not cause I feel like I owe him something, but cause he's extremely fun to use.

If you plan to main Ike though, know that you're gonna have more bad days than good. But trust me, when those good days come along, they feel really, really good.

Kirk is our exception. just like Reflex with PT, FOW with Ness, etc..

Memorable_Random_Guy

Smash Journeyman
....can you guys believe that back then when brawl had just come out, I used Metaknight and Ike equally well and had fun with both? Still, for some dumb reason I decided that I should become the king of a single character and went for Ike because 'Metaknight is too weak, he is not going anywhere'.

I still regret making that decision. And yes, I realize I could have changed characters when people began figuring out that he was bad, but I have this weird habit of becoming obsessed with the character I use, making it hard to abandon it until much later, when the obsession died out took me 1 and a 1/3 years)

Anyway, not recomended.. It's way too late to start using him and you will just get wrecked, and when you actually become good with him, everyone will have Ike 300% figured out. Go use Metaknight instead.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I still regret making that decision.
It's funny everyone's saying that they regret the decision to use Ike, and if they had another chance they would pick someone else and all of that. I have no regrets. I wouldn't be able to enjoy the game if I didn't make it as challenging as possible for myself while also using my favorite characters. I guess I'm special though, almost everybody else seems to only be concerned with winning >_>

I mean I enjoy winning but I couldn't live with myself if I used a certain character just to make it easier to win. I'd rather win with my favorite characters and have fun at the same time.

BlueHurricane

Smash Cadet
Go use Metaknight instead.
That isn't always what you'd call the best solution. Some people's playstyles that don't exactly fit the better characters. I main Ike, but a while back I used to use Marth. I quit him after a tourney where I lost to Dedede at 50% with 1 stock, but used Marth afterwards and got 2 stocked by his Wario. You may argue that, "Lol ur marf sux." Well, of course. But I used him only slightly less than I did Ike, meaning I didn't get much payout in using Marth at the end of the day.

While high tier characters are very tempting, I believe in just playing Brawl with whichever character's playstyle entices you. I actually do this(coincidentally, those characters are mostly low tier), and because I choose characters I am comfortable with, I tend to win more often than if I just pick a character that's good competitively, but has a playstyle that doesn't fit how I play. However, I DON'T suggest using tons of characters, which is one problem I struggle with. (7 different mains...I don't recommend it.)

Memorable_Random_Guy

Smash Journeyman
He asked if competitively Ike was worth using and I just added my 2 cents.

But Failkitty, if you don't mind winning matches then stay with Ike. You will get tossed around like a ragdoll, but at least you will have fun while at it.

But, if you want a competitive character but Metaknight's playstyle is not for you, try other high tier characters. Thousands are the people that decide using a character before trying every single character in the game. Who knows, if you try all the high tier characters you may find a playstyle that fits you equally or better than Ike's gameplay.

lucha5

Banned via Warnings
Play all the chars maybe try some of there main Advance techniques to see if you like them, then go from there. but metaknight basically completes everybody playstyle cept maybe he isnt heavy?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's funny everyone's saying that they regret the decision to use Ike, and if they had another chance they would pick someone else and all of that. I have no regrets. I wouldn't be able to enjoy the game if I didn't make it as challenging as possible for myself while also using my favorite characters. I guess I'm special though, almost everybody else seems to only be concerned with winning >_>

I mean I enjoy winning but I couldn't live with myself if I used a certain character just to make it easier to win. I'd rather win with my favorite characters and have fun at the same time.

Well, you stated in an earlier post that your local tournies are cheap, and you generally play more online. If the person who asked this question is serious about playing competitively, which means not just local tournies, but regional ones as well, and possibly nation wide, then yes, he will have to pick up a high tier character. Besides, I know that while I do consider myself competitive to a certain degree, I still end up payin a good amount of money for my local tournies. You don't consider just the entry price, but you also have to consider other things such as gas mileage, and food you need to eat while there. I usually end up spending roughly 20+ dollars for every local tourny I hit up.

Anyways, that part was a bit off the point, but what I'm trying to say is, players who want to win, want to win for the moneh (and glory). I know a lot of that money does go into paying expenses, because you're not guaranteed to place every single time you hit up a tourny.

I just regret using Ike, because I would be placing easily with a high tier character, and therefore, not being in a -500 dollar hole or w/e the hell I'm in.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Anyways, that part was a bit off the point, but what I'm trying to say is, players who want to win, want to win for the moneh (and glory).
But what 'glory' would there be in winning using a high tier character? I dunno... for me, I would rather win once in awhile with a low tier and feel proud of myself for the accomplishment as opposed to win all the time with a high tier and know that it was mostly because I took the easy way out, and not just because I put time and effort into it.

I just regret using Ike, because I would be placing easily with a high tier character, and therefore, not being in a -500 dollar hole or w/e the hell I'm in.
Don't get me wrong, I understand that some people do want or even need the money (although really, you can't expect to make a living off of Brawl, even if you're a pro). But the 'placing easily' part is the part that I don't like. Morally, I couldn't bring myself to do that; winning for me is only fun if I feel like I've accomplished something, and if I use an easy character just to win, that sense of accomplishment would be diminished.

But again, that's just me, I'm not gonna judge other people just because they're different from me, that would be ignorant.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
I would never, ever choose to main someone other than Ike in Brawl, even if I could go back and start all over. The entire reason I chose Ike is because of FE9 and FE10, after all, not his performance in Brawl.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I don't regret using Ike... I would have used him anyways, just not like how I use him now if I started with 70% Pikachu instead of 30% Pikachu

Ricky

Smash Journeyman
I still regret making that decision. And yes, I realize I could have changed characters when people began figuring out that he was bad, but I have this weird habit of becoming obsessed with the character I use, making it hard to abandon it until much later, when the obsession died out took me 1 and a 1/3 years)

Anyway, not recomended.. It's way too late to start using him and you will just get wrecked, and when you actually become good with him, everyone will have Ike 300% figured out. Go use Metaknight instead.
Ike is bad...? Well done. That's news to me considering that he didn't make the worst in the tier list placement. He's also a good character if used right and has exceptional range with awesome knockback to back that up. Executing his attacks right to connect to each other can be quite surprising to people who think Ike is usually a bad match up. Having high broken tiers using chaingrabbing, infinites, camping, etc does not make Ike a bad character at all. Telling people to just go and use Meta Knight because you like a D tier really does help...

Now for the topic I'd say go for it. By all means you can play competitive with Ike if you'd like main him or secondary. Although it will take dedication, patience, and a good long road if you plan to play a good Ike. (Well it's mostly based on experience how far you can get to be accurate.) I made my choice immediately to main Ike in brawl when I first played him. (Which took two days of playing brawl. I just mained random at first.) I found everything about him extremely likeable. It's been hard fun epic and all that good stuff along my road, honestly I don't regret quitting everyone else when I played him since then. If you really enjoy him I recommend him for sure. Furthermore, you must prepare yourself (LOL I know bad pun.) to accept the way he is in brawl if anything.

If you just want to win and be cheap about things, you may want to listen to the Meta Knight advice.

Edit: I agree with Marauder.

Memorable_Random_Guy

Smash Journeyman
....was that sarcasm? I can't tell on the internet.

Anyway, I can tell you took my post at heart's value so I am going to clarify my definition of bad.

S tier: Broken.

A tier: Awesome

B tier: Great

C tier: Average

D tier: Bad

E tier: horrible

F tier: ****

Ike does have his strenghts, but denying his weaknesses, bad match-ups and the fact that his ranking is getting worse is wrong.

And again, I would be lying by telling the guy that perseverance, determination and hot blood ALONE wins tournaments.

That does not mean that I will ever stop using him....he is my very first dude after all. Falco is cool and all that, but Ike's manlyness still deflects bullets....

EDIT: Anyay, this thread is pointless because, judging by the total lack of a response made by Failkitty and his join date, this thread was made by an @sshole elder poster that thinks that he is clever by makng a thread like this with a computer that is not his. In Las Vegas. With his relatives.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'm happy I at least break even at my locals, if not make decent amounts of money. It depends if you can easily understand the gameplay of your character, if he's fun to use, etc. for the character you want to play, but if you want to "win," just choose the highest tiered character possible.

I play with Ike because I identify with his gameplay well, and I rarely ever get bored playing with him.

WeretigerX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PentSage
Don't use Ike I'd say. If you haven't picked him up from the beginning of Brawl's arrival, you won't do so great with him.

Ricky

Smash Journeyman
....was that sarcasm? I can't tell on the internet.

Anyway, I can tell you took my post at heart's value so I am going to clarify my definition of bad.
No nothing with sarcasm. I would have said so. If you believe characters should be judged by the tier list which outweighs how well they can peform with good players and skill alike well you're on a good road to just being ignorant in smash. There happens to be many great players out there who main lower tiers and just as well perform good with the likes of higher tiers. You sound really antagonistic.

Memorable_Random_Guy said:
EDIT: Anyay, this thread is pointless because, judging by the total lack of a response made by Failkitty and his join date, this thread was made by an @sshole elder poster that thinks that he is clever by makng a thread like this with a computer that is not his. In Las Vegas. With his relatives.
True although it can be used for future recommendations and such.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
If you believe characters should be judged by the tier list which outweighs how well they can peform with good players and skill alike well you're on a good road to just being ignorant in smash.
Assuming that a player will get smarter as time progresses, ike gets worse and worse as this happens. Ike's hardest counter is a player who isnt an idiot, it doesnt matter who he's playing. Ike is bad, live with it.

Ricky

Smash Journeyman
Assuming that a player will get smarter as time progresses, ike gets worse and worse as this happens. Ike's hardest counter is a player who isnt an idiot, it doesnt matter who he's playing. Ike is bad, live with it.
Johns not necessarily, assuming you have a brain too. You can use 2.0 of your cells unlike half the population. Funny that, coming from someone who is using Snake more readily. You're right about Ike's counter though. It usually is the type who can think you have the hardest time dealing with. My point being Ike isn't bad to the point where he isn't playable.

ultimatesmashguy

Smash Cadet
I'm currently a new player to SSBB, and extremely new to competitively playing SSBB.
I was just wondering if any here would reccomend Ike as a starting off character in the competitive scene as this game, i mean, i know characters are made for doing different things, but Ike is currently my favourite.

I just want to know one thing;
Am i going to get my *** kicked playing with Ike? xD
I personally like ike but thats just me and i only use him cuz i got kinda good i used to use guys like toon link and metaknight and ow i use ike cuz i like his strong moves that can kill enemies easily despite his slow speed so i recomend u use someone else in competition and maybe train as him away from that and maybe switch to using him after good experience

King of Sack

Smash Journeyman
So, are we just going to label Ike a lost cause and all switch mains to a character that might be banned? You losers can go right ahead. Cause then we will see who the real Ike users are, the users that will main him as long as he remains in the Smash universe.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
First off, of course this thread was pointless, the purpose of the Ike sub-forum is to discuss and display information concerning Ike. Anything like this, ala asking whether or not one person should be using Ike should've been taken to an FAQ or somewhere, you being a member of this forum should know d*** well what to expect in this kind of thread and not reply to it (even though I'm being a hypocrite right now, life is too short to be dull and follow all the rules.).

Second, where the Hell do you come off making such claims that me or anybody else from Las Vegas made this thread? If you're so sure why don't you present the facts? Or if you're just being a @#$%^ and making claims and yet still want to vehemently deny me then go ask a moderator here who can track I.P.s, they'll tell you I'm not the same person as the OP or Kitamerby, who happens to be my friend but are not related in any way whatsoever. Please kindly STFU before you say bad things about people.

So, are we just going to label Ike a lost cause and all switch mains to a character that might be banned? You losers can go right ahead. Cause then we will see who the real Ike users are, the users that will main him as long as he remains in the Smash universe.
I wouldn't want to come off so aggressive like that, maybe in a fairytale world where every character was made equally and has an equal chance of taking victory this wouldn't be a problem, but this reality, where some characters are going to fall short despite efforts made to prevent this. Depending on who you ask, yes it will be a lost cause, and if you want to make money, become a big name, and win, you're making a huge mistake by playing Ike.

Hell, even the top name Ikes who are really any good will tell you to move on/away, or they will at least encourage you to do it.

Good lord this thread does need to be closed.

thanortinzak

Smash Apprentice
Ike is crap. However, he IS extremely fun to play against, and is the #1 "Scrub Slayer". If you were playing against scrubs, go for it, use Ike, spam f-smashes and fully charged Eruptions all day, etc, and kick their @sses. However, if you want to play competitively, I would, never, EVER, reccomend Ike in a million years! When playing at a high level, he is JUNK. Unless you want to say "lol tires don exits", you can't deny the fact Ike is pure garbage.
He's low tier for a reason.

If you want to do well against people who know what they're doing, experiment with the Top Tiers, and the High Tiers (S and A tiers). Those guys are actually worth learning. My suggestion is to try out all of the characters from those two tiers, and select the HIGHEST-RANKING one that matches your playstyle. If you really can't find a character matching your playstyle in the A or B tiers, then maybe try a character in B tier. But B tier is the lowest you should go. Although don't worry, you can still do well with a character in B tier.

Sorry for telling you the hard truth, but playing Ike won't get you anywhere, unless you're a god like Kirk (who has won a tournament with Ike!). This is from personal experience (I switched to kirby after discovering Ike sucks against people who actually know what they're doing).

Good luck.

Palpi

Smash Hero
If you want to main him and place decent in small local tournaments then do so, but if you have intentions of placing in stronger, more populated regions or at national tournaments he is not one to choose.

King of Sack

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't want to come off so aggressive like that, maybe in a fairytale world where every character was made equally and has an equal chance of taking victory this wouldn't be a problem, but this reality, where some characters are going to fall short despite efforts made to prevent this. Depending on who you ask, yes it will be a lost cause, and if you want to make money, become a big name, and win, you're making a huge mistake by playing Ike.

Hell, even the top name Ikes who are really any good will tell you to move on/away, or they will at least encourage you to do it.
Unfortunately, I understand this. But I play this game for fun with a character that is my natural main, I do not force a character upon myself for the sake of winning, not to mention it feels hella good to beat down idiots that think tier determines the guaranteed outcome of games. For anyone else reading this, this is just my opinion, I believe everyone should play the game their own way, and pay no heed to the rambling of others. Whether that is to win, or for the fun of the game.

P.S. I think tier is a load of $#%&! :]

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
As long as we establish a couple of things, and learn to accept some others, feel more than welcome to do whatever you want.

I can't force you to move away or stay playing as Ike, I can only tell you the facts

King of Sack

Smash Journeyman
As long as we establish a couple of things, and learn to accept some others, feel more than welcome to do whatever you want.

I can't force you to move away or stay playing as Ike, I can only tell you the facts
I appreciate that. The facts still exist but taking them to heart or not is the player's choice. There is too much peer pressure in the world. :(

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
So relaying facts is peer pressure?

Lol seriously just accept that your character is good/bad and move on. When you get real pro at the game, it won't matter who you use.

Top Bottom