• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you still feel safe doing the F-Air?

rampant_apart

Smash Apprentice
Pretty the topic title. We've all had a decent amount of play time under our belts now, and so the lack of l-canceling isn't looming huge in our minds anymore, but still, I was wondering if you guys incorporate F-Air into you game much anymore. The landing lag now is harsh, and it still feels like a huge, glaring break in my offense to me.

What do you guys think?

Jack Lavender

Smash Cadet
F-air ******** now.

It's just not the fact that it can't be l-canceled, but that they didn't even improve the landing lag a little. Maybe they did, but to me the landing lag feels even slower.

But even worse, the attack has too long a duration. I'm not sure, but i think it's his longest air attack. Even when using this move from the peak of two full jumps, i couldn't safely land on the ground. Every time i try it looks as if he finishes the attack, but when he lands he just goes and does his f-air land anyway. ugh.

All this while I can short hop d-air and avoid lag if timed right. If timed right... v_v

D-air and F-air only seem usable off the stage.

It just makes me sad. How are we supposed to approach from the air?

Stalfoe

Smash Apprentice
Fair, although slow starting up and ending, the actual attack is fast and powerful. You can't get shield grabbed out of it, but aerial approaches with Ganon aren't really needed. I use Fair to kill and finish people in the air. I would rather run out of range and do pokes than run in with aggressive aerials.

GotACoolName

Smash Journeyman
I find that it's pretty useful when you're on the ledge. It's a lot safer to jump, fair, and B^ back to the ledge that it was in Melee.

:034:

Smash Hero
I feel very safe using the fair, actually. Not as an opener, but as a finisher, it's pretty much Ganondorf's best option, killing at insane percentages *cough*80%*cough*.

Otherwise, no, not really. The landing lag is terrible and it's almost always there when you use it because you just get magnetized to the ground or something. D: Terrible.

But as a finisher, by all means, use it!

Calixto

Smash Apprentice
It's good off the stage or off a platform as a finisher at some low percents, but as an approach, not so much. In the middle of trading blows, I think a Back air or neutral air would be superior.

Revven

FrankerZ
It just makes me sad. How are we supposed to approach from the air?
If you mean coming down from the air, Wizard's Foot works wonders. Then there's the occasional down air to pressure shields and make the person slide a little away from you so they can't shield grab. Forward air is only useful for opportunity, that's all it's for and to knock the person off the stage when they're coming back from an Up B (i.e Wolf Up Bs diagonally to land on the stage, you hit him with the fair to cancel that and knock him off the stage for a down air spike). It's not completely useless...

looduhcriss

Smash Apprentice
i use it to finish off ppl in the air if i can get it to connect, but mostly i use it when i get stuck in an ivysaurs bullet seed - i just do Fair as soon as i get out since the attack lasts so long i hit him on the way down.

Ganon is hard to play now but im glad hes not my main anymore and that ive found other characters - even tho i still use Ganon many times.

err

Smash Journeyman
i approach with a seemingly empty jump, but before i land i do an aerial sideB rushdown. its soo bootlegged,, once my friends start to realize how bad i blow with ganon im screwed

rampant_apart

Smash Apprentice
Got it, will try more as a finisher. Still, it's crazy how I can't ever get past the landing lag of this move, no matter how much time I give it to finish before I land. >_< Ah well. The Brawl goes on.

Platformations

Smash Cadet
There are (little) uses for F-air, but its absolutely horrid as an approach now. Even as a finisher your lucky if it connects. I can say I use f-air as often as my up-tilt - sad but true.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Pretty the topic title. We've all had a decent amount of play time under our belts now, and so the lack of l-canceling isn't looming huge in our minds anymore, but still, I was wondering if you guys incorporate F-Air into you game much anymore. The landing lag now is harsh, and it still feels like a huge, glaring break in my offense to me.

What do you guys think?
Well, as a Ganon player, who sometimes likes to hit his opponents (to win games), I have found the Fair to be a move that does damage, and which inflicts momentum, and hit stun, on my opponents' characters. Accordingly, I have found it appropriate to employ the move in seeking the aforementioned ends (the hitting and the winning).

:confused:

rampant_apart

Smash Apprentice
Well, as a Ganon player, who sometimes likes to hit his opponents (to win games), I have found the Fair to be a move that does damage, and which inflicts momentum, and hit stun, on my opponents' characters. Accordingly, I have found it appropriate to employ the move in seeking the aforementioned ends (the hitting and the winning).

:confused:
Well, if you know how to always, always ensure that it hits, then I respectfully admit that you are a better ganondorf user than I, because the landing lag after someone simply shields my F-Air is just makes it too risky for my liking. I just can't find the openings unless my opponent makes large, glaring mistakes.

I would seek advice from you, to tell me how to always hit with his move, and never miss.

Triforce_Chauzu

Smash Apprentice
I'm trying to reduce my Fairing with Ganondorf, but it's hard to get used to... I'm happy that the bair's still good as always, otherwise I'd might do a Pikachu and stop using him...

I still use Fair as a surprise attack when I manage to read an opponents jump.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Well, if you know how to always, always ensure that it hits, then I respectfully admit that you are a better ganondorf user than I, because the landing lag after someone simply shields my F-Air is just makes it too risky for my liking. I just can't find the openings unless my opponent makes large, glaring mistakes.

I would seek advice from you, to tell me how to always hit with his move, and never miss.
Well, I mean, I don't use it as much in a pure jump -> Fair combo, if that's what your original question meant, because you're right, that the risk is too high for the reward. But there are other scenarios where it can come up, not the least salient of which is "your opponent is falling from an earlier move you performed on them."

I do favor the Nair as a way to add damage to someone in the air, but if I want to try to KO, I'm gonna try it. I don't guarantee I'll hit with it.

There's also "[hitbox of Dair just isn't in right position and] you're falling on your opponent, who (usu. in virtue of you not doing this often) is expecting you to air dodge rather than use this (or any) attack." The prior sign of this case, tends to be your opponent coming right after you in an uppity manner. I suppose they're either just aggro, or they don't expect you to think of using this move (maybe they're intimidating you into air dodging by reflex).

The point here is I use the move, because it is distinct from other moves in relevant ways, and it has no strictly better alternative.

The point of my first post is: Your question was equivocal. How could it be answered; does it make sense to ask it? I could only think of trivial answers - and the best way I thought to make you see that would be to actually make the absurd reply.

Does that make sense? So what information were you looking for?

looduhcriss

Smash Apprentice
I use Fair when ppl are tryin to UpB to the stage or when im facing PT and i get stuck in bullet seed - i use Fair as soon as im out of it and they usually cant react in time since Ganon is kinda heavy/falls fast into stuff.

The_Dyne

Smash Journeyman
I actually timed the two full jumps to auto-cancel the Fair, once... after 5 minutes of trying...

rampant_apart

Smash Apprentice
Well, I mean, I don't use it as much in a pure jump -> Fair combo, if that's what your original question meant, because you're right, that the risk is too high for the reward. But there are other scenarios where it can come up, not the least salient of which is "your opponent is falling from an earlier move you performed on them."

I do favor the Nair as a way to add damage to someone in the air, but if I want to try to KO, I'm gonna try it. I don't guarantee I'll hit with it.

There's also "[hitbox of Dair just isn't in right position and] you're falling on your opponent, who (usu. in virtue of you not doing this often) is expecting you to air dodge rather than use this (or any) attack." The prior sign of this case, tends to be your opponent coming right after you in an uppity manner. I suppose they're either just aggro, or they don't expect you to think of using this move (maybe they're intimidating you into air dodging by reflex).

The point here is I use the move, because it is distinct from other moves in relevant ways, and it has no strictly better alternative.

The point of my first post is: Your question was equivocal. How could it be answered; does it make sense to ask it? I could only think of trivial answers - and the best way I thought to make you see that would be to actually make the absurd reply.

Does that make sense? So what information were you looking for?
No, there, I bolded what I was asking for. I wanted to know if people disagreed or agreed with my assessment with how unsafe his F-air was and if it still did anything better than any of Gannondorf's other aerial moves.

You seem to be hearing more sarcasm in my voice then there actually is. I really didn't know if that move was worth trying to implement in my general ganondorf game anymore, and I was genuinely asking if other players were finding it useful or not, and, by extension, if I was missing anything about using said move. If you see that as asking for the absurd, then sorry for asking, but I'm still going to do wacky things like seek for advice and alternate view points on a video game discussion board. I would also like to add that plenty of people were able to answer, in ways way that were actually helpful.

So...despite your best efforts, I actually got some useful feedback in this topic. Help or don't help, with or without as much attitude as you feel like mustering, I can't seem to care either way. *shrug* I still got what I came for.

SN3S

Smash Apprentice
What this man said.
QFMFT.

It's do or die when you're on the ground, but in the air it's pretty solid.

Also, it's a good edgeguard for people trying to use the attack move to get back on the stage from the ledge. You are usually too far away for it to hit you, or you're still in the air. And then your fist comes down on their skull :laugh:

El Drago

Smash Cadet
I have been using this move a lot more, i pretty much only use it off stage because it cant be punished there. Side b then jab near the side of the stage, then f-air on their 2nd jump and you pretty much stole a stock. Make sure it hits below you, it will wreck them.

I think people are making a mistake of using it less, use it smarter people! Ganon has got great pushing power on the ground, side B-jab, down B, f tilt and his F throw, get em off the stage with those and murder them with F air! If you want to approach from the air use the **** thunder-stomp, its a million times harder to punish and does more damage, hell u can simply follow it with a F tilt they cant avoid and they will go further than the F air alone.

Top Bottom