• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think nostalgia is slowly dying in favour of modern inclusions in SSB4?

Nielicus

Smash Lord
I was still a kid when I first discovered Rosalina. I'm now an adult. And her most important game is still her debut game. Rosalina is plenty nostalgic, especially since her Smash appearance is more like her Galaxy appearance than most other games since Galaxy.

That being said, nostalgia is subjective after a point. You have to get attached to something in the past to feel nostalgic for it now. Pac-Man was one of the first video game characters I discovered, but I hold no nostalgia for him.
Lol I'm not saying she's not nostalgic to some people, just not to me. But I was a kid when Galaxy came out but I'm still kind of young lool

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
When it comes to the nostalgic, big name characters of the old days, like Mario, Link, and Kirby, we're running out. So naturally, newer picks would be from more modern games.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
The game needs to be good. thats all that matters.

Also is not so bad if theyr are not digging into the past too much, because tbh, most new smash players know shid about most of the prehistoric references that appear in the game.

Just 30 year plus smashers would really recognize and remember with joy, characters like duck hunt, or assist trophies like that samurai from the samurai castle.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
He takes his appearance from Punch Out Wii.
If nostalgia varies, this should have been called "Do you think retro reps are not making it in favor of modern newcomers."
Doesn't Little Mac have a Wire-Frame costume for old-school fans?

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Eh, nostalgia is overrated. It's good that they're moving forward instead of staying behind. Keeping one or two things from the past doesn't hurt anything, though.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If nostalgia varies, this should have been called "Do you think retro reps are not making it in favor of modern newcomers."
There is nothing wrong with the topic title as is. Nostalgia is subjective (though the older a character is, the more likely people are going to know them, if their source game did well), so the topic title is asking for people's subjective opinion.

-----

Speaking of which, I forgot to give mine:

I think in terms of stages, the balance is favouring modern games. Heck, most of the 3DS stages are actually from 3DS games.

In terms of newcomers, it's a nice balance and all generations of gamers are being appealed to. We've got the really old guys like Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Little Mac. Then we've got characters who originated from at least the earlier part of the last decade like Villager (he's actually MORE than a decade old), Wii Fit Trainer, and Rosalina, and for many, those guys are still plenty nostalgic. And then we've got characters who debuted this generation in Greninja, Robin, and Lucina (and I sort of group Palutena with these three too - she's technically a golden oldie, but is completely based off of Uprising and is in Smash Bros thanks to Uprising) who are fan favourites fresh in people's minds.

Basically, anyone who was a kid when Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Little Mac (and Palutena) were debuting is now an adult, maybe even middle-aged.

Anyone who was a kid when Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Rosalina were debuting is now a teenager or young adult.

Anyone who was a kid when Greninja, Robin, and Lucina (oh yeah - if I'm not mistaken she debuted before FE: Awakening, but was just briefly shown as a baby or something - well I still group her with Robin since she only really became a fully fledged character there) were debuting (and when Palutena made a name for herself) is probably still a kid now, if not just hitting their teenage years.

It's a pretty equal balance so far.

And I have noticed that this game is being particularly nostalgic in new ways:

-The Results screen music is a remix of the Smash 64 character select theme
-Smash Run being based off of City Trial
-Lots of Kid Icarus: Uprising influence in terms of game features

It really feels like Sakurai is bringing the best of his own past works into this Smash - fitting, as it is the 15th anniversary of Smash Bros, this year!

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
A lot of the games characters go back to the NES/SNES era. If they don't, then the series does. Though, I'm not sure what you mean about nostalgia in the first place.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Quit ignoring how long it had been since he had one prior. It doesn't suddenly make him not nostalgic.
Pit is the same. It was decades between drinks for him. But no one feels nostalgia for his Smash 4 incarnation. Same deal with Little Mac. Doesn't matter how long between drinks it is if the Smash 4 incarnation is the modern one.
I see your point, but I was more referring to how the many of the older returnees (characters/stages/other like trophies too) mostly use their newer incarnations and that their older incarnations you could say are being slowly removed from the smash series.
the topic title is asking for people's subjective opinion.
You are correct, this is all opinion and by nature is subjective. I gave my opinion and wanted to see of others agreed with it or not. That's all.
It really feels like Sakurai is bringing the best of his own past works into this Smash - fitting, as it is the 15th anniversary of Smash Bros, this year!
Now now you're just making me feel old. Haha but it's cool. I was a a mid-aged teenager when Smash 64 came out. And my first Nintendo game ever I played was Zelda 2 way back when. So I guess what I feel nostalgic to was around before many smash fans were born. So I guess Sakurai has to give you younger players too something they feel nostalgic about.

Last edited:

laces

Smash Cadet
I think there is plenty of nostalgia in there. (Pong a.t., mega man, ballon fight stage, little mac, pacman)

JFM2796

Smash Journeyman
It seems like with this Smash in particular the newcomers are either super modern or super retro. If the CSS leak is to be believed, there isn't a single newcomer from 1986 (Palutena) to 2002 (Bowser Jr.). A lot happened in those 16 years; that's almost half of Nintendo's gaming era.

Last edited:

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
Well, I'm 13, and grew up from the very late GameCube era to the Wii era, so Villager, the Miis, and Wii Fit Trainer (My dad made us play it in his healthnut phase. :p) are rather nostagic to me, as wrong as it is (Especially WFT. :p). Though, I guess Villager and maybe Miis definitely count as nostalgic, being from over and almost a decade ago in 2001 and 2006, respectively. Thankfully I'm not entirely casual anymore. :p

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Thats what i mean...for example... you never lived the ocarina of time era.... not to mention the Golen SNES era, the mario world and the NES era. You were not even born.

Its because of this that i think sometimes is just pointless diggin into the past too much...as most new nintendo fans from the late gamecube and wii era...have no idea of what those nostalgic references are.

So i think somtimes is a waste of time.... and maybe is better to include newer content for the current generations.
Sak cannot be pleasing always 27+ year old guys like me.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Thats what i mean...for example... you never lived the ocarina of time era.... not to mention the Golen SNES era, the mario world and the NES era. You were not even born.

Its because of this that i think sometimes is just pointless diggin into the past too much...as most new nintendo fans from the late gamecube and wii era...have no idea of what those nostalgic references are.

So i think somtimes is a waste of time.... and maybe is better to include newer content for the current generations.
Sak cannot be pleasing always 27+ year old guys like me.
Sure Sak can. He just needs enough parts for us old farts and enough parts for the other young punks too.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
The roster as we know it adds:
- 6 classic characters, 2 of which use modern designs
- 9 modern characters

It also has several classic-based costumes for many characters like Little Mac or Mario.

Stage-wise, we have 7 seemingly classic-based stages and 10 retro stages (many from Melee).

There's also Smash Run, which has a sprite Cucco, amongst other things.

SSB4's focusing on showing mostly modern stuff to pull people in, but it DEFINITELY has a good balance. Using modern appearances isn't a huge deal, it's just to be current. Still the same classic characters.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am always an advocate of creating new nostalgia that we can look forward to in the future. In about a decade, we will ponder and interpret Greninja as a classic character...

Regardless, my enthusiasm for Star Fox and Zelda is at an all time low, so I suppose I feel the effects of attenuated nostaliga.

Ascended

Smash Ace
Nostalgia isn't interchangeable with retro, classic, or old. For example, if someone who loved Super Mario Galaxy sees Rosalina and the Mario Galaxy stage on the Wii U version, then they'll be hit with nostalgia. SMG was seven years ago, and for me, a lot happened in those seven years, plus I highly enjoyed the game so I've got nostalgia for it.

I'd even go so far as to say that someone is capable of feeling nostalgia for Greninja, who's debut game will be a year old by the time Smash 4 Wii U comes out. In fact, I have a friend who is super pumped to play as him because he loved X & Y so much and picked a Froakie as his starter.

So, to answer the original question, this game has just as much nostalgia as any Smash Bros game.

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
I just want a fast pace and adventure mode

the8thark

Smash Lord
Now, THAT is nostalgia for me right there. Melee's adventure mode. If something like that came back, it would be amazing
That and Melee's 51 challenges would be amazing. Brawl's challenge stages were disappointing to say the least.

DairunCates

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. I'm definitely in the camp that Smash has never really been "nostalgic" per se. It makes sense too. In some ways, Smash Bros. is an advertisement for ongoing Nintendo series and ones that have new games coming out (Hence Roy in Melee). That said, Sakurai does love inserting some obscure and weird members into about 1/4th of the cast, but I definitely don't think we're at risk of losing that in this game with the Duck Hunt Dog looking confirmed.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Duck Hunt, Pac-Man and Mega Man are part of the roster.
Sure... They're backing away from nostalgia, yes.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Little Mac had a game.
Quit ignoring that guys.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA WHAT!?
GOOD LORD DO YOU KNOW WHAT NOSTALGIA IS? The Wii era is not nostalgic. Not even the gamecube. The N64 can be considered nostalgic.
That's like calling the Wii U/PS4/XBone last gen.

And Bowser J.R. had appeared in games recently. So has Toon Link. You can't consider a character retro if they take the appearance they had in a recent game OR haven't been in a recent game [see Pit/Ice Climbers]. Bowser J.R., Toon Link, and Rosalinna haven't had radical changes.

I say it's abit more modern then usual, but still enough nostalgia. Not surprised, as Wii U needs sales.
I would argue that Gamecube would be nostalgic. I mean, I'm 23 years old, but the Gamecube came out when I was ten years old. Around that time is like the prime time for nostalgia.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Anyone who says Smash is just an ad for new games instead of a celebration of Nintendo history now, I will punch.

The older series are mostly accounted for, so the only place left in history to go is the present.

And if you cite F-Zero or something as "evidence" otherwise, remember that it's a cult series, as in it's not that important.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not sure if you used the word "nostalgia" correctly here. I can feel pretty nostalgia about Xenoblade and that was a game released two years ago.
Nintendo has a very long and extensive history. If you bring in retro choices, you are leaving out a significant part of Nintendo. Besides, Mega Man and Pac-Man are "nostalgic" with their designs and movesets.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
And I just remembered this thread exists.

Might as well re-point to this;
Fact: :pikachu64:/:jigglypuff64: were younger than :shulk: at the time of their debut.

(1996-1999) vs. (2010-2014).

boohoo sm4sh has too much modern crap it's just an ad nooooow
And that's just going by the Japanese releases. Pokémon Red/Blue and Smash 64 were only released seven months apart in the US.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
Anyone who says Smash is just an ad for new games instead of a celebration of Nintendo history now, I will punch.

The older series are mostly accounted for, so the only place left in history to go is the present.

And if you cite F-Zero or something as "evidence" otherwise, remember that it's a cult series, as in it's not that important.
Shulk would like to have a word with you. That feels so like Xenoblade for 3DS/WiiU advertising.Marth and Roy in Melee felt like advertising too.The oldies like Mario etc etc are in their new forms.
I see it like Mario kart tracks. The newer games get a few of the oldie tracks, but all redone in the new forms. Same as the veterans in SSB4. Oldies but in new packaging.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Shulk would like to have a word with you. That feels so like Xenoblade for 3DS/WiiU advertising.Marth and Roy in Melee felt like advertising too.The oldies like Mario etc etc are in their new forms.
I see it like Mario kart tracks. The newer games get a few of the oldie tracks, but all redone in the new forms. Same as the veterans in SSB4. Oldies but in new packaging.
Like I said, Smash 64 Pikachu/Jigglypuff were an entire year younger than Smash 4 Shulk when they were introduced.

And Marth and Roy were originally going to be dummied out in the American release - they were only still in because they did well with test audiences. (Though I know Roy was pretty explicitly advertising in Japan since his game wasn't even out yet...)

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Smash is a celebration of Nintendo's Big Family, and, like with families in real life, there are inclusions of young and old.

For me:

1. :4littlemac:
  2. :4megaman:
  3. :4villager:
  4. :4pacman:
  5. :4palutena:

Gave me some Nostalgia (Villager because I grew up with him).

But yes, I think Nostalgia is dying for other people who have not grown up with the series of the characters that are included. For example, if Isaac gets added to SSB4 then people who did not grow up with Golden Sun will not feel any Nostalgia.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Duck Hunt Dog- Nostalgic
Ice Climbers (who is now cut)- Nostalgic
Mario's NES Open Tournament Golf Costume- Who played that game, but nostalgic
The 3rd party designs- Nostalgic
Zero Suit Samus's... Not-sexist costume- somewhat nostalgic.

The factor is still in there. Of course maybe not as much as in Melee or Brawl but ok.

Top Bottom