• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think some facets of the online mode will be limited due to lag?

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman
I've been wondering this for some time now.

In case you didn't know, MKDS didn't allow certain stages to be played online due to the lag they'd create. These were often stages without a lot of moving parts and such.

Do you think we're going to see something like this in Brawl? I know quite a bit of time has passed between now and then, but Brawl is certainly much faster, and much more frantic. Do you think certain stages, or maybe even items, could be barred from online because they might create lag?

Rex+

Smash Ace
The randomization of items (if played with) can certainly generate lag if the game isn't coded properly.
I don't know about backgrounds, though.

Zek

Smash Ace
MKDS was Nintendo's very first attempt at online play so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't think they'll have to limit any of the stages, it's not like the hazards are any faster-moving than the characters or their attacks.

And I have no idea where people get the idea that random numbers are a problem for online games.

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
I've been wondering this for some time now.

In case you didn't know, MKDS didn't allow certain stages to be played online due to the lag they'd create. These were often stages without a lot of moving parts and such.

Do you think we're going to see something like this in Brawl? I know quite a bit of time has passed between now and then, but Brawl is certainly much faster, and much more frantic. Do you think certain stages, or maybe even items, could be barred from online because they might create lag?
You know I think I heard some group of people talking about how they actually played those other courses online by using a gameshark to unlock them, and they ran JUST fine. pretty interesting stuff. I ALWAYS wanted to play waluigi's pinball online

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
I don't know and I don't care considering I personally don't enjoy playing on stages with hax that give characters unfair advantages and random exploding items, if I wanted a game with luck involved I'd play Mario Party, which I wouldn't.

Spellman

Smash Ace
I'm sure some stages may fall under the "too action packed" to be played online. I'm guessing a level like Big Blue for example.

TheMastermind

Smash Ace
Mario strikers plays just fine with 0 lag. and theres lots of moveing items and graphics going on while the game is being played.

Brawl wont have any lag. not at all.

Bli33ard

Smash Journeyman
Mario strikers plays just fine with 0 lag. and theres lots of moveing items and graphics going on while the game is being played.

Brawl wont have any lag. not at all.
It did when I played it. I'm in UK, and when it first came out, it was lagz0r. But crossed fingers, Friend matches won't be that bad, they're all that really matter, IMO.

Winged Messiah

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure that to some extent online play will be affected, but tbh there's no way around it. I guess i'll stick to simple stages to minimise any possible lag. Large, hectic stages may be off the agenda.

Raptorbite

Smash Apprentice
I have a feeling I am going to be playing mostly randomly matched online matches because I dont know anyone who owns a Wii. I just hope lag doesn't affect me too much.

Dr.Z

Smash Cadet
There is enough time from the delay for them to fix this problem though. Since online-play is a large issue they might be focusing on this A LOT for the fans and hopefully make it uber.

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman
Actually, these stages were removed for no apparent reason. A skilled hacker made these stages available online, and they were not lagging at all. Nobody knows why they were removed. Maybe because, it was the first online game and Nintendo didn't want to screw up even with the slightest bit of lagg. (But stages available online are still lagging sometimes so it's not a good explanation...)

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman
Actually, these stages were removed for no apparent reason. A skilled hacker made these stages available online, and they were not lagging at all. Nobody knows why they were removed. Maybe because, it was the first online game and Nintendo didn't want to screw up even with the slightest bit of lagg. (But stages available online are still lagging sometimes so it's not a good explanation...)
I understand where you're coming from, but Nintendo themselves said they were removed to reduce lag. It is funny that there was no lag even when unlocked.

I seriously doubt we'll see things limited to Brawl...it'd just be a **** shame if there WAS lag in such game that requires such precise actions sometimes.

Titan05

Smash Journeyman
There is no avoiding lag when your playing someone on a different continent but most people will just be playing against people who live down the street, across town or, at most, in a different state. (To all of you non-US players, substitute state with Provence, Republic, Region, or whatever the hell you feel like)
So I can't see too much lag occuring.

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman
I understand where you're coming from, but Nintendo themselves said they were removed to reduce lag. It is funny that there was no lag even when unlocked.
Wasn't knowing that. If you can show me the source, you'll get a cookie. ;)

Drik Khaail

Smash Ace
as inevitible lag is, I dont think it will affect gameplay too much. With wi-fi, you either have a good connection or a bad connection, never really between. so you'll have to be careful, and keep your router a little closer to the wii...

Top Bottom