• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think the NX will see the first re-release of Melee?

TryrushDeppy

Smash Apprentice
As I see it, from a business perspective Nintendo has several good reasons to keep on refusing to grant Melee any continued support by re-releasing it on a current platform, as it has done ever since the game went out of print. For starters, Melee has remained enduringly "too popular for its own good," drawing attention (and perhaps profits) away from its sequels while creating some possible confusion for uninformed consumers new to the series. The Melee "scene" has also long been infamous for its boisterous, hypercompetitive nature, and its promotion of certain controversial personalities like Mew2King, who aren't exactly role models that Nintendo would want to associate themselves with. Basically, they're worried that doing anything to throw the Melee competitive scene another bone could be harmful for Smash's brand image and how Nintendo as a whole is perceived.

On the other hand, a sanctioned downloadable re-release of Melee at a reasonable price point (probably $15-20) would almost certainly sell very well, and the porting process would probably be quite inexpensive for Nintendo. Assuming there won't be any port of SSB4 available for the system, the right time to release it would be shortly after the NX's launch. It would fill a major hole in the system's library through its early months, while earning it the immediate support of the Smash crowd and creating hype for a fifth game - especially if it was a proper HD remaster with online play. They could always go the Virtual Console route, but we've yet to see a single VC Gamecube game for the Wii U, and I have a feeling that the service won't be supported on the NX at all if they're trying to make a clean break from the Wii generation.

So what do you think? Will Melee forever remain a prisoner of aging Gamecubes, Wiis and Dolphin emulators, or is there a chance we'll someday see its legacy continued on Nintendo's new system (or even the Wii U)? How exactly would you want a reiteration of the game to go down?

Last edited:
Do you think we will stop seeing Melee remake threads? (Just making a joke about how recurring this topic is)

Players can predict all they want to about Melee's rerelease, but for all we know for certain, there are only 1 (or 4) official versions of Melee currently. We should keep working with what we have now

TryrushDeppy

Smash Apprentice
Do you think we will stop seeing Melee remake threads? (Just making a joke about how recurring this topic is)

Players can predict all they want to about Melee's rerelease, but for all we know for certain, there are only 1 (or 4) official versions of Melee currently. We should keep working with what we have now
As far as Nintendo and most consumers are concerned, there is only one version of Melee, the Gamecube version. I don't imagine a re-release of the game would introduce any new mechanical changes beyond the final silent revision, regardless of whether the tourney scene would object to them or not.

I know this topic has been brought up in the past, but I put significantly more thought into it than I've seen elsewhere. Most of the time the discussion is just silly port begging from people who can't afford the game.

Last edited:

Synnett

Alligator Lord
Sincerely, I hope not. If Nintendo changes stuff in the game, it isn't Melee anymore. Simple as that.

TryrushDeppy

Smash Apprentice
Sincerely, I hope not. If Nintendo changes stuff in the game, it isn't Melee anymore. Simple as that.
So I guess version 1.0 with the PK Thunder glitch is the only true Melee to you? As was just mentioned, Nintendo modified Melee's code several times before the game went out of print. They just didn't have any method of delivering those updates digitally at the time, so they were only for people who were buying from the most current print run of discs. Zone of the Enders 2 on PS2 also saw several silent updates in this same manner.

Last edited:
I know this topic has been brought up in the past, but I put significantly more thought into it than I've seen elsewhere. Most of the time the discussion is just silly port begging from people who can't afford the game.
All you said was that Melee's competitive community has an iffy reputation in some ways. However, Nintendo invited them to compete at their E3 Smash 4 event. I think Nintendo thinks we're not too bad

If Nintendo VC ports this to the NX, it could pull in the competitive players to help boost NX sales and Smashers are pretty loud online about their games. Why not launch Melee VC on day 1? It'd bring in more day/week 1 sales for Nintendo to brag about. Also, do competitive gamers play and buy a lot of games? I'm just wondering how profitable appealing to the Melee community can be for Nintendo

IFf Nintendo is planning on rereleasing Melee, they'd probably want to milk out Smash 4 sales as much as they can. It's still really popular among casuals. It's dumb to have the 2 compete with each other and lose total sales in the long run

D

Deleted member

If they were ever gonna re-release Melee it would of been on the Wii or the Wii U already. All hope is lost.

TryrushDeppy

Smash Apprentice
If Melee was ever gonna get an HD release it would of already happened.
I don't buy this line of reasoning. Soul Calibur II got an HD release with online play over a decade after the original version, and the game didn't have anywhere near as durable of a following as Melee.

Of course, Melee is even older than SCII, but Nintendo could still be waiting for what they see as the right time to bring it out again.

HopE_eX

Scholar
According to SuperDataResearch, the average eSports viewer spends roughly 30% more on video games or related equipment per month than the average gamer who does not follow eSports. That number multiplies to 130% for those who are considered active competitors.

I don't know the specifics offhand, but I recommend downloading their 2015 market analysis. It's a fascinating read, and it's free for the next several months.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
If Melee was ever gonna get an HD release it would of already happened.
I don't ever expect to see a remake of Melee, but the reason this isn't true is because if they were to make one right now (or in recent past) it would likely hurt the performance of smash 4. So I don't think it would've had to have happened already although I highly doubt it will ever come out

I don't think anyone has pointed this out ever in Melee general. Twilight Princess is getting an HD (texture) remake. Why won't Melee?

D

Deleted member

I just think that based on Sakurai's own opinions towards the series, but maybe that's outdated by now
I agree with the point on Sakurai, but I think that they would rather develope another smash game rather than bring back Melee. A game that Sakurai resented for a long time because of the way it was used.

TryrushDeppy

Smash Apprentice
I don't think anyone has pointed this out ever in Melee general. Twilight Princess is getting an HD (texture) remake. Why won't Melee?
TP's textures aren't being redrawn in HD, like with the 360 version of Perfect Dark. Tantalus just upscaled them, and removed some of the bloom because they didn't need to be hidden so much anymore.

Kaibo

Smash Cadet
Melee has lived for 10+ years I don't think we need any changes or remakes

TryrushDeppy

Smash Apprentice
Melee has lived for 10+ years I don't think we need any changes or remakes
I was never suggesting that any changes be made to how Melee plays, just that it would be re-released for a more modern console.

Kaibo

Smash Cadet
I was never suggesting that any changes be made to how Melee plays, just that it would be re-released for a more modern console.
In that case I wouldn't spend that much money for an NX because I'd just play melee.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
There's been a rumor going around of a Smash release on the NX at launch. If true, there is next to no chance it's a completely new game considering that Smash 4 isn't even through being patched/updated and the NX is almost certainly coming in either 2016 or 2017, meaning that one or more Smash games are getting rereleased provided the rumor is true. If it's anything other than Smash 4 only Melee is going to be included. We've reached a point where right now both Smash 4 and Melee are going to be at EVO 2 years in a row, and both have large and successful communities and scenes. Nintendo doesn't really have good reason to suppress Melee right now, and Sakurai's status regarding future Smash games, combined with the Wii U's abbreviated lifespan mean Nintendo might not be able to churn out an original NX Smash for a while, so Melee HD/Smash 4 rerelease/Smash collection makes sense businesswise, much like what they've done with Zelda rereleases since Zelda U's been coming along so slowly. So I do think a Melee rerelease makes business sense for Nintendo and could realistically be happening.

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
We will never see a re-release of Melee (outside of the possibility of virtual console), and we will NEVER stop seeing these threads.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
we will NEVER stop seeing these threads.
These are just the latest fad/meme, that's a little overdramatic. They'll be gone in a year or two.

Inb4 someone quotes this 10 years from now when these posts are at an all time high.

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
Say we did end up getting a Melee re-release, and say the version re-released contains PAL changes or other things such as wobbling removed, superwavedash and extender glitch removed, etc, the game's speed is unchanged and wavedashing and L-cancelling are still present, how would this affect the community? Would we be further divided as a community wanting to play the new re-release and some only wanting to play the Melee we're all used to now? Looking at re-releases Nintendo's done before, they've implemented some form of changes. With that regard if we got a re-release I wouldn't be surprised if some changes were made.

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
Might sound like a grump but here goes nothing; can we just wait and see what happens? I means seriously this has been discussed so much, mine as well wait for the dam thing to actually be announced if it is before we do all this anticipation. How have we not covered all the bases already on this?

Last edited:

TryrushDeppy

Smash Apprentice
In that case I wouldn't spend that much money for an NX because I'd just play melee.
Eventually there won't be any functional Gamecubes or early model Wiis left to play it on, and Dolphin will probably never be considered acceptable for competitive play for legal and technical reasons.

I expect the Melee scene to have finally burned out for the most part five years from now, though. You'll still see it getting played at smaller side tourneys, but the majority of players will have moved on due to getting too old and/or bored with the game, and it'll have stopped attracting new blood. Of course, this is assuming there won't be any rerelease.

ajaxonethree

Smash Rookie
Eventually there won't be any functional Gamecubes or early model Wiis left to play it on, and Dolphin will probably never be considered acceptable for competitive play for legal and technical reasons.

I expect the Melee scene to have finally burned out for the most part five years from now, though. You'll still see it getting played at smaller side tourneys, but the majority of players will have moved on due to getting too old and/or bored with the game, and it'll have stopped attracting new blood. Of course, this is assuming there won't be any rerelease.
Getting bored? It's been around 15 years and is bigger than ever

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
Edit: Pls ignore.

Enjoy this pic instead if you must look at this post:

Last edited:

TryrushDeppy

Smash Apprentice
Getting bored? It's been around 15 years and is bigger than ever
Never assume that things will continue forever the same way that they are now. Starcraft was once seen as the national sport of South Korea, but they lost all interest in it astoundingly fast when League of Legends came along. (Well, Blizzard's insistence on having total control over the Korean SCII pro scene didn't help either.)

Obviously, Melee isn't going to disappear overnight like that, though I think people are underestimating the extent to which burnout will set in a few years from now. LoL is patched and updated continuously to keep players from getting bored or too settled in their strategies, sometimes making balance changes for no real reason other than novelty's sake, but Melee has remained fixed and constant for nearly fifteen years now. Practically every matchup has been explored in excruciating depth, probably every glitch and exploit has been discovered. There's also the simple fact that the game isn't available on current consoles or PC at all (barring emulation), and has no online play functionality.

Last edited:

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
Never assume that things will continue forever the same way that they are now. Starcraft was once seen as the national sport of South Korea, but they lost all interest in it astoundingly fast when League of Legends came along. (Well, Blizzard's insistence on having total control over the Korean SCII pro scene didn't help either.)

Obviously, Melee isn't going to disappear overnight like that, though I think people are underestimating the extent to which burnout will set in a few years from now. LoL is patched and updated continuously to keep players from getting bored or too settled in their strategies, sometimes making balance changes for no real reason other than novelty's sake, but Melee has remained fixed and constant for nearly fifteen years now. Practically every matchup has been explored in excruciating depth, probably every glitch and exploit has been discovered. There's also the simple fact that the game isn't available on current consoles or PC at all (barring emulation), and has no online play functionality.
So has chess and go.

Silent J

Smash Rookie
There's also the simple fact that the game isn't available on current consoles or PC at all (barring emulation), and has no online play functionality.
There's always netplay and a Melee build made for it on dolphin, unless you're referring to something like official dev-supported online play.

Eventually melee might quiet down. Definitely not in 5 years though (might see a lot of shifting in the top players).

But granted the hardware situation is a harsh reality we'll have to face eventually if there's no reissue port of the game to a future console, which honestly would suck. I can't get my melee fix with games like Rivals :(

Fyrefox

Smash Cadet
Eventually there won't be any functional Gamecubes or early model Wiis left to play it on
There was 12.94 million units of the GameCube sold in America alone, and 101.63 million units of the Wii sold worldwide (I'm sure a good majority of those are first model wiis). If Melee were to die out five years from now, it would be because of the lack of interest from players/viewers, NOT due to hardware issues such as a lack of functional gamecubes or first model wiis. If there are NES', SNES' and Nintendo 64s that still function years and years past their initial release date, I'm sure GameCubes and Wiis have nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Never assume that things will continue forever the same way that they are now.
Why not? Track record is the only thing anyone has to base assumptions like that off of. We can safely assume that a large successful company like Apple or Microsoft will continue to be successful because they have been successful in the past. Why shouldn't this apply to Melee?

Melee has no impending threats like League was to Starcraft (Almost no chance of a direct sequel by nintendo, third parties do not have access to Nintendo's IPs, and other developers have not drawn a significant amount of players away from melee in the past).

jonnnnnnnn

Smash Rookie
We did get original ssb on wii.

Which I really want on 3ds for that multiplayer babyyyyyyyyyy.

If melee "HD" happens the graphics would definitely be modded so changes are so will the code.

Top Bottom