• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah. He taught me to nintendo power. Or rather, how it worked for him. lol

Dogy told me he tried it and failed.

Shroomed

Smash Master
Learning from DJ would teach you patience. I don't like patience much lol.
I want to MM niko, otg, all of you guys.
So far I just played ranmaru and I don't remember if i played boss or not.

You guys should all play tafokints, I think he'd beat every other doc player.
Boss wasn't ready for the jankiness at P5 and neither will you guys be!

Max?

Smash Champion
I would probably go Falco vs. him.

Shroomed, right now Niko and I and a few other people from westchester (including PC) are probably coming to Genesis, so we must play.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
You just have to know DJ, and then it would make sense.
You don't know me, so relax with that bull****. *****s are always getting it twisted about me when it comes to my teaching. Thinking that I only know how to teach people how to Tomahawk and thats pretty much it. I've been playing Melee competitively since the beginning. I know too damn much about this game and I've been helping the community out with mad different **** like tactics, edgeguarding, mindgames, matchups, patience, aggressiveness, the list goes on. People hit me up almost everyday through the phone, FB, AIM and here on the boards to help them out with ****. I know other people get hit up too for advice and whatnot so I'm no one special when it comes to that, but I'm just stating my case. Nobody really knows me. So OTG, get that **** outta here.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
I'm actually about to turn to the dark-side over Sheik. She's probably the only character I run into in tournament and feel I'll do worse against. By the way, when I say "turn to the dark-side" I speak of pulling out that Foxy Fox.

Shroomed

Smash Master
Sheik isn't that hard with doc. Just hit her once and combo off it.

Just watch videos for advice. That's what I did to improve, not really ask anyone anything. Just watched my matches and spotted my habits/mistakes and improved on them.

Good luck boss.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

I'm calling b.s. on the MM nonsense. good players tend to always MM scrubs / people they can beat and not other good players.

only time this isn't the case is if theres some salt or grudge from something prior. It's just so greedy for a top player to be asking scrubs to money match. if the scrub wants to money match the top player thats different because its a learning experience for them.

TLDR; MM should be occurring with people not too far from your skill level
stupid logic or the 'pros' in ur area are ***s

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
2 quick questions:

1. What's the frame data on Mario/Doc's Uair? It has ridiculously fast startup and decent priority, I've been able to interrupt a lot of things but I don't know what level of safety it has versus certain moves (like Sheik's Fair or the Knee). I tend to beat those moves but I don't know how reliable it is overall.

2. How the @#$% do you combo Doc's Fair on Jiggs after a down throw? It's ridiculously difficult to do on DI-ing Jiggs on any % for some reason.

Thanks in advance.

Max?

Smash Champion
I can't really speak about frame data since I'm not interested in it, but just know Uair is amazing and you should use it liberally.

As for dthrow -> fair on Jiggs, you just have to react insanely fast to their DI. The window for it is pretty large (50-80%+? it won't KO at 50 or so), and the only Jiggs I've played who really knew how to DI it to make it as hard as possible for me to follow up was Hbox.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
2 quick questions:

1. What's the frame data on Mario/Doc's Uair? It has ridiculously fast startup and decent priority, I've been able to interrupt a lot of things but I don't know what level of safety it has versus certain moves (like Sheik's Fair or the Knee). I tend to beat those moves but I don't know how reliable it is overall.
Doc's up-air hitbox comes out on frame 4.
Doc's up-B hitbox comes out on frame 3.
And part of Doc's body is invincible on frame 3 of his up-B.

I'd say Doc's up-B is better than Doc's up-air for challenging Falcon's knee or Sheik's f-air because the up-B will have a better likelihood of beating the knee or Sheik's f-air.

I've found myself in situations where the up-air only comes out in time to trade hits with Falcon's knee, where up-B would've saved me from being it at all.

Max?

Smash Champion
UpB is definitely faster, but the knee/slap can still trade with it based on the spacing and that could lead to a very dead Doc, at very low %.

Rappster

Smash Ace
is uptilt a good anti air?
my friend plays falcon, and he's in love with approaching with stomp, espcially if he can stomp the platform above me and have it go through and hit me.
it seems like i should be able to punish, but i don't know how.

Max?

Smash Champion
Utilt is a fantastic anti-air. I don't know how effective it would be vs. a Falcon who is stomping you thru platforms, but from a neutral position if you see him throw a SH aerial at you, utilt has a very good shot of beating it clean/trading.

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
Boss needs revengzies on tafokints.

I play so jank, hehe......

Regarding MM
$20 isn't much to me. I make more than that in one hour and I work full time.
I'm honestly desensitized to anything less than < $500 and wanted Shroomed to work hard.
This is the 2nd money match we ran

the first one was from many months ago and I wanted the vs. Doc experience more than anything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjsa6wM3g8I

Honestly, this match was the only Doc experience I had pre-Pound V and
I studied it extensively to note tendencies that Doc players work (pills, the excessive spot dodging, jab distances, edge guarding)

On a side note:

Playing Shroomed's doc =/= Playing a Doc main elsewhere.

I think Shroomed has a huge advantage in playing so offensively and not allowing me to get an advantageous position on him.
Playing defensive as Doc against Shiek is honestly not to great. Eventually, I will get inside your comfort zone and force you to spot dodge/roll or do something dumb so that I get a grab and rack up damage.

Shroomed

Smash Master
YOU'RE A ****ING GRADUATE ALREADY DANIEL????
Is that why you're balling?

By the way, I agree with Mr. Jankiness. Aggressive is good against sheik. So long as you aren't doing stupid approaches and getting yourself grabbed anyway.

Up-tilt is also amazing for anti-air, unless they're approaching from in front of you. Then it actually isn't that great at all because you will trade more often than not. But if they're coming from above, then it's actually really good for what it does.

Max?

Smash Champion
You guys have no idea what my playstyle is like, and whether or not I'm aggressive or campy or whatever. You'll find out at Genesis hopefully :)

S l o X

Smash Champion
Gotta call bull**** on that one. Played you for like 45 minutes last no johns where was the MM then?
nikonikoniko

lmao it was sarcasm, otg max ***** me the last two times we played in tourney. i was trying to make a point regarding skill difference / gap. i definitely don't think i'm better than you, i rarely took games off in those 45m. :awesome:

Max?

Smash Champion
Word, *fingers crossed* that I end up going. Right now it seems very very likely. I should be coming with Niko, PC, Prog and a few other lesser known NY players (who are also ****), so get hype! We definitely must play Strong Bad, and I will teach you the ways of Blue DEEKS.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
LOL ****ing Legend of the Deeks. We need to record an audio/visual version of that.

Shroomed

Smash Master
Doc isn't crappy. He's a good character.
I disagree with this statement completely. Doc is way too limited and is only effective because people aren't used to such a rare matchup, so they don't really know how to play it.

Once everyone learns what to do vs. Doc we're all screwed.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
I disagree with this statement completely. Doc is way too limited and is only effective because people aren't used to such a rare matchup, so they don't really know how to play it.

Once everyone learns what to do vs. Doc we're all screwed.
I get what you're saying. Of course he's limited. Although Doc to me is a good character regardless if someone knows the matchup mad hard or not. Besides, everyone knowing what to do against Doc isn't going to happen. So we're good lol. It also depends on the character the person is using against Doc too.

Top Bottom