• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does a lack of "true combos" hurt Brawl?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Sales prove what mainstream or not, not what you want to believe in your little world. Sales are showing the people are more interested in WWE games and DBZ games than other "fighting," games.
"More interest" is up for debate. How many of those people that buy DBZ and WWE have a strong interest in them? And by that, I mean, watch streams of matches, attend tournaments, learn the ins and outs of the game,etc. Fighters like Smash, Street Fighter, BlazBlue, etc. all have that done by its players. I wouldn't say a game has more people interested than another if they buy the game and then go onto something else a month later.

Sales show what people are buying. What they are spending their hard earned cash on, and what, as a result, they are playing (as we buy games to play them). Most of the fighting game series sell at 1-2 million at best. The exceptions are Street Fighter, Smash Brothers and Tekken, but let's look at them more. Tekken has been declining since 3. 6 sold between the 1-2 million. Street Fighter 2 was a huge success but it faltered with Alpha and 3. Street Fighter 4 was suppose to be a huge revival, but it only sold 2/3 of the second game when 1)It was on two systems and 2)When there was a larger videogame market (thanks to population growth). It was unable to bring back players who had left the genre.
Your logic is severely flawed. You're forgetting one major reason why Street Fighter hasn't generated the sales of SFII. This one reasons also makes your two reasons not as relevant. And that reason is:

Street Fighter II was a one of a kind game at its debut. Now, you have all sorts of fighters. Even with more people out there, there's no guarantee they'll go to a particular game, and that's excluding the fact that people will play more than one fighter. Basically, there is way more competition now than there was then. Smash Bros. manages to get away to a certain degree because it's the only quality platform fighter out there.

Seriously, SmashChu, what ARE you trying to accomplish with all of this? That Brawl is a good game? Just give it up. You've been going at this for years. You're not convincing anyone with your insane logic.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
"More interest" is up for debate. How many of those people that buy DBZ and WWE have a strong interest in them? And by that, I mean, watch streams of matches, attend tournaments, learn the ins and outs of the game,etc. Fighters like Smash, Street Fighter, BlazBlue, etc. all have that done by its players. I wouldn't say a game has more people interested than another if they buy the game and then go onto something else a month later.
If you are willing to spend money on something, then you are obviously interested in it.

The rest of this paragraph follows the idea that if people learn to get better, this is somehow an advantage. Those people obsessing over the game will not put more bread on the table. Even still, if they are so interested in it, why aren't more people?

Your logic is severely flawed. You're forgetting one major reason why Street Fighter hasn't generated the sales of SFII. This one reasons also makes your two reasons not as relevant. And that reason is:

Street Fighter II was a one of a kind game at its debut. Now, you have all sorts of fighters. Even with more people out there, there's no guarantee they'll go to a particular game, and that's excluding the fact that people will play more than one fighter. Basically, there is way more competition now than there was then. Smash Bros. manages to get away to a certain degree because it's the only quality platform fighter out there.
Incorrect. Future Street Fighter games should be doing better.

Consider that we are now in a warm market. There was no market for that kind of game back in 1991. Since then, there was one. So the question is why did the games at least meet the same sales. Where did those people who bought the game go? The game markets are bigger now thanks to population growth and customers have more money since 1991 (since they got older). There should be no problem getting people to play these games.

Also, competition doesn't matter. It only would if the quality has degraded. Super Mario Bros. did stop people from buying Sonic the Hedgehog. Sonic the Hedgehog didn't stop people from buying Donkey Kong Country.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Sales prove what mainstream or not, not what you want to believe in your little world. Sales are showing the people are more interested in WWE games and DBZ games than other "fighting," games.

Sales show what people are buying. What they are spending their hard earned cash on, and what, as a result, they are playing (as we buy games to play them). Most of the fighting game series sell at 1-2 million at best. The exceptions are Street Fighter, Smash Brothers and Tekken, but let's look at them more. Tekken has been declining since 3. 6 sold between the 1-2 million. Street Fighter 2 was a huge success but it faltered with Alpha and 3. Street Fighter 4 was suppose to be a huge revival, but it only sold 2/3 of the second game when 1)It was on two systems and 2)When there was a larger videogame market (thanks to population growth). It was unable to bring back players who had left the genre.

Compare these sales to racing, action and FPSs and see how Fighting games faultier in comparison. In the top 50 best selling games of all time, only one is a fighting game. Guess which one it is?

You may say "Oh, this has nothing to do with sales," but it has everything to do. We are arguing "Are fighting games mainstream?" The best way to find out is to look at the market. In other mediums, like music, this has been the determiner of this generic term we call "mainstream." Or, if you hate things that sell well we call them "sell outs."

The comment you replied to is important, but that is for another day.
I'm just going to say this and then I'm done.

Sales are not the sole factor in what is mainstream. The culture around something are factors as well. As well as pirating, and available platforms. I'm sure there other attributes, such as install rate and what not.

Sales are a factor. A big factor, but not the only one. :/

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'm just going to say this and then I'm done.

Sales are not the sole factor in what is mainstream. The culture around something are factors as well. As well as pirating, and available platforms. I'm sure there other attributes, such as install rate and what not.

Sales are a factor. A big factor, but not the only one. :/
The last thing I'll say is you never defined your stance. You got pissed at someone because fighting games are "mainstream," and than only tried to counter my argument. You have never said why they are "mainstream." As such, there is no reason that anyone in this thread should think they are.

KoJ

Smash Journeyman
Street Fighter III was a sales failure due to several factors: The decline of traditional arcades with home consoles, the replacement of most of the recognizable cast with new faces, and an audience weary of Street Fighter II/Alpha iterations.

Gamers knew what Street Fighter was; they just weren't biting.

Top Bottom