• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anybody else tend to roll while trying to WD out of shields?

Impact009

Smash Journeyman
This happens to me all of the time as Fox. I haven't tried it with other characters who have a slower start-up time on their jumps though. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming I can't tap the directon on the control stick until after frame 4 of my jump?

Somewhat related, I've tried wavedashing at 22.5 degrees instead of 45 to see if I would gain any extra distance. A long time ago, it did seem like I gained some extra distance, but now, I don't. I'm wondering if I might have accidentally walked a short distance back then while experimenting with this. Does anybody have any data that they've gathered from testing?

Geist

Smash Master
Your timing's just slightly off. There are ways around being able to tilt your control stick while you're still on the ground, like angling your control stick before you put your shield up. If you're wd oos consecutively you can keep your control stick at the angle instead of resetting it to neutral every time.

And yeah the angle of your stick influences your distance. You wd longer the closer your stick is to 180 degrees.

Personally I WD OoS with one button, so I never end up rolling anyways.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Wavedashing oos sheild is probably the last AT I cant do on command, I dont really practice it, But I should, usually I screw it up.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
I never really find a use for it

Roll/Spot dodge/Shine/Upsmash/Jump seems to cover everything I need to do out of shield

Signia

Smash Lord

Roll/Spot dodge/Shine/Upsmash/Jump seems to cover everything I need to do out of shield
Marth Fsmashes your shield, and you're out of range to shield grab or aerial out of shield. You could squander your free damage, or you could wavedash out of shield as soon as the shield stun ends and get a grab or sh aerial.

That's just one example, but wavedashing out of shield is very important. I'd say it's the best reason to learn to wavedash in the first place. You need to wavedash out of shield in order to punish certain moves on block and so you can reset the situation if someone spaces a safe move on your shield. Once you can wavedash out of shield, you can shield much more often because it is much safer. Other OoS options put you at greater risk.

I tell new players that the primary use of wavedashing is so you can get out shield easier. Moving around the stage can be done with dash cancels and pivots and there are many other more efficient ways of edgehogging anyway.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
I manage to wd OoS with the same button I shield with - R. You just gotta be quick, though most people use both. Plus, my only 2 characters both have the fastest jumps, tied with a few more.

Animal

Smash Lord
trust me kane learn it. especially if you play fox. Wavedash oos to shine for fox is AMAZING

Kanelol

Smash Lord
Pfft I can already Waveshine out of shield dont need that scrub ****

j/k, I should try to implement it. I'm always clueless on what to do when I'm stuck in a shield though. Being defensive isn't really my thing. Oh well, practice practice practice.

Pi

Smash Hero

When marth spaces a Fsmash on your shield, you can wavedash out and grab him, and even his Ftilt if you're quick enough.

Any laggy ground move that can't be shield grabbed, wavedash OoS fixes that.

If you're rolling it's because you're chosing the direction before you jump, you just have to change the order in which you press your buttons to wavedash.
From holding shield you need to Jump->choose your direction-> air dodge

Ballistics

Smash Champion
impact, a great way to stop rolling out of shield is to practice shield wavedashing using R and L. So what you do is hold L for your shield PERMANENTLY, and while your doing that, use jump and r to wavedash. Or the other way around if that makes you more comfortable. Try to wavedash across the entire level without rolling.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
sheild peachs dsmash

wavedash oos to waveshine to upsmash.
tell that hoe not to bring that weak **** around here.

Top Bottom