• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anybody still use the Judge?

TheStig

Smash Lord
A while back I saw people use the judge a lot but nowadays it looks like nobody uses it anymore. Does anybody still use it and what are some setups to hit people with it?

Neb

Smash Lord
It was used more in melee because of dtilts hitbox produced a vertical trajectory.
I still use it when I can, usually as a ledge-boosted edgeguard.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
B-air to Judgement works occasionally. Usually I F-tilt people from a B-air though.

The Reverend 814

Smash Apprentice
I use judge all the time i often use it to punish people coming to edge guard me haha. That or you just gotta catch em off guard, its so **** powerful if you get a 9 even if you get hit I've had instances where I get knocked back but someone gets 9'd in the mouth.

C_Ferris32

Smash Journeyman
I just started playing G&W a few days ago and I really like him, and JawKnee~'s down throw-> tech chase-> Judgment actually works really well.

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
I use it for ledge camp mix up's and sometimes randomly because it has random effect. I don't always use it in hopes of getting a 9. But I do hope I don't get a 1 :laugh:.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I like it on shields, 9 is safe, and 5 (the electricity one is 5, right?) often makes their attempted shieldgrab free damage for me.

I hate it when I am "clearing it out" to get a better chance at 9's (the next 2 after 9 are likely not to be 9s) and I get a 1 and it damages me =[

Overall, Judgement is top tier.. In friendlies.

Snowbird

Smash Cadet
I can never seem to hit anyone with it. And it is much more fun to pull the floor from underneath their feet.

RyN

Smash Apprentice
I use Judgment to mix up my aerial game so I don't suffer from diminishing returns and to keep the opponent confused.

Occasionally you can sneak in a Judgment out of a dair that's shielded.

I've decided that I want to knock off a stock with a 9 atleast once a tournament :D

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
I think its really useful when you're coming back to the stage. I've ko'ed over the top with an 8 a few times and with a 9 while returning too.

Then again, I only play with it like that when my fair is stale.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I use it a lot right after I kill the opponent, I have the lead, and I get some damage in.

The chance of a 9 COMPLETELY ruining their chance of winning that set it great, I am not risking much except getting at a lesser advantage, and it isn't easy to punish if they don't see it coming.

Also, it is easy to punish if they do see it coming, if you let one out don't let another out for a while =[

RyN

Smash Apprentice
The frame count for Judgment is not a friendly one so you must be tricky when using Judgment. If you do score a 9 on them and take a stock, don't worry about resetting it. IMHO, if you used Judgment to kill them then you probably have a decent amount of damage on you anyway so you should try to knock them out with other attacks and if/when you lose the stock your count is reset anyway. Just use it to knock off a stock and don't worry about it.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Yeah, but you have a few free seconds while they get back from their death, so why not just reset it quickly? Better than just jumping around doing nothing.

RyN

Smash Apprentice
I agree with what you are saying but most players drop down to take advantage of their invincibility frames and the lag on Judgment makes it almost impossible to reset it because Mr. Game and Watch taunts instantly after.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
If you're on the side of the stage you should be able to get one off. If you're right under their respawn probably not. Really, it's a moot point since one 9 puts you far enough ahead you should win without another one.

RyN

Smash Apprentice
True and also true. One 9 puts you ahead or catches you up so using two would just be asking for some revenge.

Darth JoBak

Smash Apprentice
I havent seen NoJ or others use it much, I am curious to try tech chasing with it now

I only use it in lopsided matches

K 2

Smash Lord
No one uses judge in tournaments/important matches. It's too unreliable, the range sucks, and it is easily punishable. The ONLY time you should consider using judge in a tournament is dthrow->techchase->judge at low %'s and hope you get the 9. Still, Dthrow->techchase-> usmash yields 30% damage, and it is extremely reliable, both as a damage dealer (usmash=18%, IIRC) and as a kill (usmash kills in 90-lower 100's depending on weight, maybe even lower). For the heck of it, you can also judge snake when he tries to recover on his cipher.

The best judge set-up/combo? Kill your opponent, taunt, wait for him to respawn, let him kill you and taunt. While he's taunting, 9 him.

Zielmann

Smash Cadet
Sure, it's an unreliable move, but it can mess with your opponent.

Kinda off topic, but I enjoy having judge matches. Four people play as G&W, and all you can do is judge and recover. It can get pretty intense, cause you know that sooner or later somebody is getting a 9.

GrayPlague

Smash Apprentice
I usually only use it in casual matches, but sometimes I do use it while I'm recovering. I've killed an edgeguarding foe a few times with an 8.

^It's like the Brawl version of Russian Roulette. D:

K 2

Smash Lord
Sure, it's an unreliable move, but it can mess with your opponent.

Kinda off topic, but I enjoy having judge matches. Four people play as G&W, and all you can do is judge and recover. It can get pretty intense, cause you know that sooner or later somebody is getting a 9.
how does it mess with your opponent?
-G&W: Judgement Hammer
-Snake: Haha! You missed! Free fsmash for the 2nd lightest character in the game!

Judge matches are like all falcon punch matches...very intense.

.CMW.

Smash Apprentice
Judge matches are fun for casuals but I don't think they have a lot of use in higher level play, perhaps in just a few areas, getting back on stage is the one that I can see.

.CMW.

RyN

Smash Apprentice
If you use Judgment enough, you'll know when a 9 is coming and can time it perfectly. It just takes practice.

Zielmann

Smash Cadet
I agree with the sixth sense thing. There's times when you just know it's coming.

I was saying that it could potentially mess with your opponent because of the uncertainty. Not saying that it's a staple as a mind game or anything. But for true competitive play, I don't think it's that great a move. If they're close enough to judge, you could use d- or f-tilt just as easily.

Top Bottom