• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone else feel like their progress just "happened"?

nuev0_

Pocket Mario Monster
I don't really know how to word this, but I'll try my best in hopes that someone will get what I mean. :p

I started playing melee around 2013 JUST before the documentary came out. I don't really look back on my progress too much but when I do it sort of baffles me and I'm curious if anyone else knows what I mean.

Naturally, when I first picked the game up (competitively, at least) I started off trying to learn short hopping and I just couldn't do it. It was too fast for me and even harder to do during an aerial. And when you throw fast falling and L-canceling in the mix? It was too difficult, I'd never master it, so I just shut the game off.

I don't recall ever practicing short hopping or L-canceling after that day or even playing melee frequently. And yet one day I could just do it. It didn't feel gradual or anything, sure I tried in game, but it was never like "wow I'm hitting like 70% of my L-cancels now!" It sort of just went from like, not being able to do any to being able to do them all the time.

As I get better at the game, I find that that's still the case. I picked up Falco, and tried waveshining. Couldn't do it at all. Then one day, it was like no sweat. Then, I decided to start doing shine wavelands to extend combos. I don't know how or why, but I sort of just picked them up and didn't go back.

Maybe that's why the game is so addictive to me. You'll just start doing new things that you didn't do before every time you start playing. But still. I'm curious to know if anyone catches my drift, and if I'm not making any sense you can say that too :p

Thx all

Melansjf

Smash Rookie
Same here, although it wasn't over as long a time span, I just got this game again a week and a half ago (had it on it's release date but I think either someone threw it out or stole it :/). I was trying all of these techniques just to warm up to the idea of how melee handles compared to SSB64, and believe it or not it literally happened over night, sort of, I mean I was awake for it. I was getting frustrated at the difficulty spike of the CPU between the generations (it is harder) and being stuck getting beaten by goddamn level 6's. So at 3:00AM in my infinite wisdom, I just said screw it, prepared my Falco mindset, and set them to nine (after having suffered through the event matches) and lo and behold, I could Wavedash, short hop aerial to fast fall L cancel, and multishine like a ****ing champ. Since then I've had no problem with these moves.
Hopefully I'll be able to retain my skill set and it's not just a luck streak.

nuev0_

Pocket Mario Monster
I should reiterate that my rapid growth period happened over the first year, I'm just steadily climbing up now...

Suzukipot

Actual Mother trash
NNID
em12498
3DS FC
0404-9964-5652
I can say that a similar thing happened to me. When I picked the game up again competitively, I tried all the standard tips and tricks. Wavedashing and L-canceling come naturally to me with little to no effort but I still struggle with things like short hop lasers and multishines.

You could have changed your methods between the 2 times you've done it. Also, adjusting to different characters wavedashing is only a timing adjustment of a few frames, as in only as much as I think 7 or so. Short hopping is another small change in button timing

Top Bottom