• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Bowser need wavedashing?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Wavelanding maybe. Wavedashing probably not. Most characters' smash attacks come out before your wavedash does.

D

Deleted member

Wavelanding maybe. Wavedashing probably not. Most characters' smash attacks come out before your wavedash does.
actually ill disagree on this one ^_^;

say for instance you want to fortress edgehog but you are a fraid of sd'ing and want to be right on the ledge (if not by a slanted ledge)as ppl know if you run up to a ledge and stop on/close to it youll go into a teeter animation wich allows you to %100 fortress.

well if your too close the startup run animation puts you over the ledge so if your too close and you wavedash instead youll go into teeter allowing for a nice safe fortress hog.

theres more of of course but i think this should do just fine =D

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
You could do the timing Fortresshog instead or dash attack the edge or something. Heck, you could even roll to the edge. Bowser's wavedash I think is just really too slow to be used to edgehog.

D

Deleted member

You could do the timing Fortresshog instead or dash attack the edge or something. Heck, you could even roll to the edge. Bowser's wavedash I think is just really too slow to be used to edgehog.
thats if you can time it in wich im talking about %100 percent success rate options for others,and dash attacking?do you realize what you are saying lol.

also if you were the correct distance to roll to the ledge then you would also be the correct distance to just run and teeter in wich i said the wavedash is the alternate if your just too close.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Oh, okay, I see what you mean. Still... that's nineteen frames before you can even start to edgehog. I mean... it can't be that hard to time the Fortresshog. What other advanced techs are you going to spend your time on as Bowser, anyway?

D

Deleted member

Oh, okay, I see what you mean. Still... that's nineteen frames before you can even start to edgehog. I mean... it can't be that hard to time the Fortresshog. What other advanced techs are you going to spend your time on as Bowser, anyway?
dont say 19 frames as if theres an option thats much faster lol.

besides when you wavedash to the edge you dont need to wait for the teeter animation either.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
You could platform cancel a reverse short hop Fire Breath. Although that's probably slower <_<

D

Deleted member

You could platform cancel a reverse short hop Fire Breath. Although that's probably slower <_<
yea you would still be using the same frames for a jump to do the cancel anyway and also would become airborn taking alot more time overall.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It's nice to have there. I'd say it's necessary, because he SHAKES THE STAGE when he does it, and that kind of thing makes me happy.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Why deny a facet of his gameplay? The same type of debate has been made over whether or not characters like C Falc. and Sheik really need L Canceling as they have some aerials with minimal lag.

Where their argument boils down to "Well their so fast anyways it barely makes a difference..."
The Bowser case boils down to "Well he's so slow and clunky, that wavedashing barely makes a difference"

It's not a Luigi-esque breakthrough on movement, but it certainly adds to his depth, and no matter how small that addition is, Bowser is a character who needs all the help he can get.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Every character does imo. There are instances when its always the best option for moving around. But remember that bowser's wavedash sucks, you cant WD around the stage to avoid attacks etc with him.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I love threads where someone makes a thread asking if they really need an advanced tech just because they are having trouble learning and want to give up. I'd say the answer to this is a resounding yes. Learn wavedashing, it's not that hard.

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace
Holy **** you're name is Slartibartfast. Hitchhiker's Guide ftw. That's my WC3 name too.

Sorry for the useless post.

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
Either way you should learn wavedashing. It's at your discretion to use or not as some people that are good with bower don't wavedash too much while others do. I mean aniki found a way to play efficiently as samus without wavedashing so I'm sure that you could get by... but just learn it... for your own sake with other characters...
You might as well give yourself the variety just in case.

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
Either way you should learn wavedashing. It's at your discretion to use or not as some people that are good with bower don't wavedash too much while others do. I mean aniki found a way to play efficiently as samus without wavedashing so I'm sure that you could get by... but just learn it... for your own sake with other characters...
You might as well give yourself the variety just in case.
Thats because the ONLY reason you would need wavedashing is for wavedash fsmash or to ledge hog. And its the same with CF. You don't need it, but its 2nd nature now to like 100% of skilled players.

With bowser, no, you don't need it that much. Its good for spacing, maybe some mindgames, and ledgehogging. What I like to use it for when I'm playing is to speed up my gameplay, I waveland with him a lot to have him cover most parts of the stage. For edgehogging I ALWAYS Fortress hog. I don't see why I would do anything else.

Note: The only characters you need to really wavedash with are IC's, Mew2, Sheik, Marth, Peach, and Ganon. I'm forgeting one more, but I can't remember who.
sure you could learn to wave dash with bowser, but what what the combo be, and would it even be effective?
Go back to spaming your useless garbage in the brawl boards. Stay out of the melee section though, because these posts are useless.

D

Deleted member

Wavedash? No. Waveland? Yes.
please more than just yes or no =D

With bowser, no, you don't need it that much. Its good for spacing, maybe some mindgames, and ledgehogging.
what else would you use it for lol except waveshining wich is only fox and falco lol

Go back to spaming your useless garbage in the brawl boards. Stay out of the melee section though, because these posts are useless.
haha be nice,lets try to keep this a simple discussion without all this =)

Gea

Smash Master
Well to just wavedash on its own is needlessly slow. But if you're already in the air there is NO reason not to utilize wavelanding with every character, even Bowser. This technique is especially useful on platforms where you can waveland onto the platform and slide off the side. It really does help your mobility.

I thought this was common knowledge by now.

JrdnS

Smash Ace
yes. 100% of my movement and spacing is wd with the bowser
so you play bowser like you would luigi by moving only with wavedashes. im no bowser main but i know you should definitely not use wavedashes for all of your movement. spacing only

ohpistachios

Smash Apprentice
I'll often wavedash out of shield as a way to quickly dash-grab or something like that. Sure it's not as great as it is with other characters, but you don't ALWAYS necessarily want to up-b or grab or jump out of shield.

Top Bottom