• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does It Bother You When People Don't Use Their Main

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
Title is pretty self explanatory, but I also mean specifically in For Glory or competitive stuff against you. Like you play 2 matches against a person's Luigi (example), then they all of a sudden switch to try a new character right when you may have been on to something match up wise.

I'm well aware that people don't have to entertain me personally, I just want to know if this irks other competitively driven people when they are inadvertently ripping a chance to learn out of your hands.

For me its especially if I take a butt whooping twice in a row with their main, then when they switch to try someone out I tear them up....then they leave and never switch back to their main like I wanted

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
No, but it bothers me if they switch to the character you're using. Kind of for the same reasons though.

Last edited:

Vade

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vade
3DS FC
4296-3320-8652
It doesn't really bother me when that happens to be honest. I mean if I got defeated easily I just save the replay and I'll use it as reference material to learn how to play against that fighter, heck I man even try out the fighter in training to get a feel for which of that characters moves provide weakness and where.

Now what irritates me is when I beat someone 3x in a row and quite convincingly, and they switch to the character I was using. Now if they play the character well and actually use the character often I tend to notice, but when it feel like they are using them for the first time I just feel it's a waste of time so I end match as fast as possible and leave the game to find another opponent.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I do the first round of any matchup as Robin, and after that I swap most of the time. Maybe eventually I'll focus on my top 3-5 or so, but for now, For Glory is just my generic 1v1 matchmaking device.

Doesn't bother me when people don't play their main, unless they swap to counters for the sake of countering. That annoys me, but only because it's obvious counter-play (not that that's bad, just that it's annoying).

Last edited:

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
I'll only switch if I'm confident when I fight the other player, to be honest.
That or if who I'm facing is a terrible match-up for me.

D

Deleted member 269706

Not really...I know that I for example don't always start with my main, sometimes I'll start with a secondary then switch to my main if I feel like it. I enjoy the variety and different play styles personally.

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
Someone not using their main after a couple fights is good and all since I get to see more than one character in for glory.
I did however encounter someone who really hated that I was repeatedly using my main and during character select I suddenly get a notification on my messenger from the guy Im facing telling me to play another character, so blasted freaky.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
I celebrate the use of as many characters as possible

Learning to play one more may help you master another

For Glory is like one big never ending training exercise

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I dunno, my friends and I switch characters a lot and I rarely play FG because I'm not big into online Smash in general. I think playing locally is far superior. But yeah, it's annoying when you're trying to learn MUs.

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
Given I do it myself, it would be horribly hypocritical of me if it irked me.

I'm trying to find a main. I can only do that if I try more than one character. So I switch between like a dozen characters constantly, with varying levels of success.

Lichi

This is my war snarl
I hate it when it happens, but I do understand that I have no right to demand them to play with any character I desire. It just gives me the feeling of defeat with no chance of comeback.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I prefer when the opponent and I keep playing with only one character each. It makes things more exciting to me.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I don't mind if a player uses multiple charatcers, especially characters I don't see too often. If I see someone try to use my main, and they repeatedly use them and are not that great with them, then I will usually choose my main to teach them a thing or two about that character.

mangamusicfan

Dark lord
NNID
mangamusicfan
3DS FC
1891-2073-5876
Nope it doesnt both er me.
Im happy when they do that so I need to change my strategy so I will become better.

VivaReverie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GreenTL
I don't really have a "Main" per-say, more like five of them. I switch between DHD, Shulk, Ness, Marth and Robin, usually in that order, and I usually do pretty decently with all of them.

Because of that, I've never really had a problem with the opponent not switching or switching or whatever, however I do like me my mirror matches, and when I see someone playing as one of the above five characters I usually switch to said-character.

...That may annoy some people, but I guess there's no real way of me knowing whether it does or not. Those characters (Especially the first three) I don't see often online, so it's not often I get to play against them and compare my playstyles with theirs.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
I hate when people switch characters, beat me, so I want another go at the character and they leave because they finally won after 6 matches of me winning...

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
The only thing that bothers me is if they win with their main a few games, then, just as I start to get a feel for their playstyle, they start playing various other characters and lose. It's all well and good if they want to practice a different character against Robin, but when they're switching as if they'd hit random every match when they obliterated me the first three, having me waiting around for an hour until they pick it again, then it does bother me a bit.

Also, switches to a clearly newbie Little Mac-- those who're good with him don't need more stigma. Hell, he might be my secondary if I wasn't somehow expecting death-threats from my DS for it...

Edit: To clarify, it mostly annoys me because the stock count feels too low for games-- even if it takes longer than melee or such to KO, I think 3 would have been a bit more solid... I mean, I'm a player who only starts to pick up as the match goes on anyway, so that alone hits pretty hard. It's more something that bothers me about myself than something that has me annoyed at them overly much, though. >//<

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I do this sometimes, but I figure if you've gotten like 3-4 games vs my main you can't really complain. My Pac-Man needs practice, too.

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
It really infuriates me when people don't use their mains against me. I don't wanna fight your secondary characters I wanna fight your BEST character. I wanna learn the match-up while enjoying fighting someone who's giving it their all, someone with the same determination to get better as me! I hate people who play random the most, that alone makes me not wanna play against certain people. Sadly there is no way to tell if your opponent is playing as random though. (as far as I know)
Don't get me wrong though, Its good to have variety but, in my opinion, using secondary against someone who is using their main is incredibly arrogant.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I hate people who play random the most, that alone makes me not wanna play against certain people.
Lol, I play random sometimes. I think it's a good way to learn the capabilities of every character, which in turn helps you fight against them.

Don't get me wrong though, Its good to have variety but, in my opinion, using secondary against someone who is using their main is incredibly arrogant.
What if it's a bad matchup? That's like the whole point of a secondary.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Just because I prefer some characters doesn't mean that I'm obligated to ignore the rest of the roster, I quite enjoy using every character. Even then, I have a large number of "mains" so I do tend to still be using my "main" even when I switch characters.

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
Lol, I play random sometimes. I think it's a good way to learn the capabilities of every character, which in turn helps you fight against them.

What if it's a bad matchup? That's like the whole point of a secondary.
Then Master the bad match-up

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Then Master the bad match-up
Or switch characters. There's a lot of people who can play multiple characters in Smash since the execution barriers aren't as high as other fighters.

It shouldn't really matter, anyway. You're going to have to learn every matchup in the game sooner or later, the only reason I could see getting upset is if someone's main is a very rare character and then they switch to a more common character, though with my main / secondary it's the reverse. Yoshis are a dime a dozen, but how often do you fight Pac-Man?

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Are you really telling them to play the bad matchup? Do you really not want a fair fight?

Edit: what I meant to say is, sometimes being willing to learn other characters is a much less frustrating way to learn and deal with matchups for both players. I'm not arrogant! Honest!

Last edited:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
It's difficult to tell when there's no chat system via voice or text. What do others think of me? I often use my main for a couple of matches and switch it up, regardless of what they think. I start out hitting, then onto the variety so I don't be a stalemate. Often I'll keep sticking with my main so they can beat it, then maybe I'll switch. I mean, there's a lot of vibe in the game as to what kinda matches we want to play after the first one, but it's hard to tell if they'll change characters or want a rematch, etc.

As said above, people who switch to your character just to prove a point can go eat a bag of fresh-baked ****s.

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
Meh I don't have a main so I don't really care. It's great when people uses a lot of different characters.

Blue Warrior

Smash Apprentice
Getting annoyed at someone for not using their main makes the unfounded assumption that they exclusively practice one or two characters, so no. Actually, it sounds kind of ridiculous to get agitated about it. If it bothers you, why not just use a character you're not familiar with?

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
In all honesty I paid $40 for this game. Why am I not allowed to play the full game?

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I don't see why people can't switch to other characters. It's like yelling at a person who loves vanilla ice cream decided one day to have chocolate instead. I don't see the point.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Fighting multiple players that have different play styles helps improve my skills and knowledge. Not everyone has the same way to play characters, and that will help further advance skills of players.

To be honest I believe there is not enough diversity of characters that people use online (that I go up against). I have rarely run across any: :4duckhunt::4gaw::4olimar::4wiifit::4zss::4zelda::4robinm::4sonic:

What am I going to do to prepare to counter these characters? By playing against them often.

Last edited:

CosmicFuzz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Masterphailure
3DS FC
4511-1602-4990
What if the person has multiple mains?

For example, I have a Jigglypuff, a Lucina, a Link and a Robin as my mains. I usually switch around every 3 games to mix it up. There's only so much more you can learn about their playstyle after the first 2 games.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
What if the person has multiple mains?

For example, I have a Jigglypuff, a Lucina, a Link and a Robin as my mains. I usually switch around every 3 games to mix it up. There's only so much more you can learn about their playstyle after the first 2 games.
My only problem is that I rarely run across some characters. How am I going to learn to counter them if I am never put up against them?

Pink!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KirbyCanvasCurse
3DS FC
3695-0038-5541
It only bothers me when they switch to the character I'm using. They could switch to any other character and I wouldn't really care.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I plan on having 5-6 mains, and if I feel like I'm not making progress with one, I'll switch out for another. I can understand anyone doing the same.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
It's funny that this thread came up. I was playing with my brother yesterday and he absolutely hates when I don't use my main. I usually win with most characters I play against him but he says none of those count unless I'm using my main character. Even if he wins he says it doesn't count unless I use my main. I don't too much cuz it lets me keep practicing but I like to play other characters also

Top Bottom