• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does it Insult You When People Play Brawl Horribly?

SMBEffect

Smash Apprentice
I usually get insulted if they trash the idea of getting good at the game. It irritates me because of all the hard work you put in.

MarcBuckley

Smash Journeyman
Only if they think they're good and have the nerve to claim such. People can be terrible at videogames all they want to, it's not a character flaw. But to be terrible and think you're good... no.
i have to agree with yuna here nothing pisses me off more than when someone claims their good then the comeover to your house start playing and turns out to be worse than a lvl 1 CPU lol

ChrisTheCom

Smash Cadet
Spamming

I wouldn't say its an insult, rather unbelievably annoying. Its an insult when they start putting down you mains, or your ability, against their 'obvious' (spamming) prowess. I have a friend, who mained Ike, would rant on and on about how much better Ike was then Marth, who I partially main, then say how much cooler Ike was then Marth (despite never playing an FE game), and claim to be able to 'pwn' me so easily.

So we had a one on one, him as Ike and myself as Mario (to make a point, I didn't use Mario to any level other than using him to clear SSE or classic). Unsurprisingly he continuously used over b, and would always fall with Eruption charging. Thankfully I won.

More annoying still was the battle against the spammy Falco. That didn't end happily.

Its only really annoying if they use cheap and overpowered moves continuously, if they're just unskilled I just sorta feel sad.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
ROFL!! i played through N64 and Melee not knowing what an AREIAL or TILT was and i still throughly enjoyed them haha!

But seriously yes it does annoy me to some extent...:D
At least areial cmon :p

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
i have to agree with yuna here nothing pisses me off more than when someone claims their good then the comeover to your house start playing and turns out to be worse than a lvl 1 CPU lol
Exactly. One of my roommates goes on and on about how amazing he is at the game. However, he has absolutely no tournament experience and no comprehension of the competitive Smash scene, doesn't know about techs, doesn't strategize, etc.

The extent of his game involves using Lucas and repeatedly performing PK Fire/Thunder/Freeze for longer ranges. Shield grabs + rolling + smashes at shorter ranges. I see absolutely no air game from him whatsoever. No edgeguarding/hogging either. Nothing that a decent player would do.

To be quite honest, I think the only reason he beats other people living in my dorm area is because of the fact that they aren't that great either and can't figure out how to approach him and counter his strategies. When I play against him, he normally yells at me when I put forth some sort of effort and apply the techniques and strategies I've learned from playing competitively, and complains when I edgehog or something. I was only doing fast falled aerials, and he yelled and told me to "chill out." When I edgehogged him, he yelled out "WHAT THE **** WAS THAT???"

Like many people would agree, being an unskilled gamer isn't bad in and of itself. Being unskilled and thinking you're amazing is wrong. And he's one of the people guilty of it.

TheNewGuy03

Smash Rookie
The only thing I have to say is this...

I don't necessarily care if someone sucks at Brawl, but I will say that two dudes that swear they're all that and suck ballz kinda pisses me off a little bit.

On a side note, I suck against spammers. As weird as it seems, a guy who knows the bare minimum (how to recover, shield, etc.) gives me problems. Not because they're really good, but because they are constantly attacking, and I'm constantly shielding, so when I go to shield grab them, SHFF aerials, or anything, I wind up getting hit with a barrage of smashes/tilts, etc.

I at least 2-stock them, though...

Sorry about the rant...but really, all you can do about the guys who don't know what they're doing is teach them how to get better at the game...

|the kid|

TheNewGuy03

Smash Rookie
another thing...

To be quite honest, I think the only reason he beats other people living in my dorm area is because of the fact that they aren't that great either and can't figure out how to approach him and counter his strategies. When I play against him, he normally yells at me when I put forth some sort of effort and apply the techniques and strategies I've learned from playing competitively, and complains when I edgehog or something. I was only doing fast falled aerials, and he yelled and told me to "chill out." When I edgehogged him, he yelled out "WHAT THE **** WAS THAT???"

Like many people would agree, being an unskilled gamer isn't bad in and of itself. Being unskilled and thinking you're amazing is wrong. And he's one of the people guilty of it.
Oh, and I have to agree with you...people who yell at you for knowing what you're doing is pretty vile...

|the kid|

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
Oh, and I have to agree with you...people who yell at you for knowing what you're doing is pretty vile...

|the kid|
Yeah, honestly I don't even play the guy anymore. I won't gain anything from it. When I beat him, he gets his panties all up in a bunch and makes some sort of excuse. If I relax and let him win, he goes on and brags to the whole world about how he beat a competitive Melee/Brawl Smasher...

I mean, I'm pretty sure the guy plays exactly like I used to back when I was like, 11 playing the original Smash. I was pretty good for someone who didn't know anything about the competitive scene at the time.

At least I know some other people who are decently good (Although the best competition I've seen in college thus far, I'm able to go 4-2 or 4-1 against him fairly frequently), or at least people who suck but know that they suck and don't complain when you win.

I need to find some tourneys :ohwell:

Toadsanime

Smash Journeyman
UK, England (We got Brawl late. Get over it.)
Yeah, honestly I don't even play the guy anymore. I won't gain anything from it. When I beat him, he gets his panties all up in a bunch and makes some sort of excuse. If I relax and let him win, he goes on and brags to the whole world about how he beat a competitive Melee/Brawl Smasher...

I mean, I'm pretty sure the guy plays exactly like I used to back when I was like, 11 playing the original Smash. I was pretty good for someone who didn't know anything about the competitive scene at the time.

At least I know some other people who are decently good (Although the best competition I've seen in college thus far, I'm able to go 4-2 or 4-1 against him fairly frequently), or at least people who suck but know that they suck and don't complain when you win.

I need to find some tourneys :ohwell:
Tell this guy that we think he's a bit of a doofus. ;)

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
What pisses me off is Smash spammers. I play Link mirror matches all the time and what is annoying is when they pick their idol Izaw's Gold colored Link and then all they do is Forward Smash for the most part. Smash spammers tick me off.

Johnny Pteran

Smash Journeyman
What pisses me off is Smash spammers. I play Link mirror matches all the time and what is annoying is when they pick their idol Izaw's Gold colored Link and then all they do is Forward Smash for the most part. Smash spammers tick me off.
Seconded, but with any character. Especially ones with overpowered smashes like Fox...

∫unk

Smash Master
yeah it sucks when i have to play you guys stuff that shouldn't work does

dsf probably says the same thing when he plays me

if they can't recover teach them how don't be a prick

edit: in case anyone missed the sarcasm i was basically telling the OP and everyone that's complained in this thread to realize that this goes for you too but in a different way

Toadsanime

Smash Journeyman
yeah it sucks when i have to play you guys stuff that shouldn't work does

dsf probably says the same thing when he plays me

if they can't recover teach them how don't be a prick

edit: in case anyone missed the sarcasm i was basically telling the OP and everyone that's complained in this thread to realize that this goes for you too but in a different way
Sorry, nope, I still don't fully get that.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
I don't mind if people suck when I'm playing them, because I still spank them. It is annoying if they think they're good (one kid in my school thinks he's the man, although he admits I'm way better, and he doesn't realize how ****ty he actually is....but he could easily take me in a fight, so I keep that to myself haha)
If I'm not playing though, and I'm watching bad people play...god, it's agonizing. I just want to rid them of their ****tyness. God I can't stand watching them.

Toadsanime

Smash Journeyman
I don't mind if people suck when I'm playing them, because I still spank them. It is annoying if they think they're good (one kid in my school thinks he's the man, although he admits I'm way better, and he doesn't realize how ****ty he actually is....but he could easily take me in a fight, so I keep that to myself haha)
If I'm not playing though, and I'm watching bad people play...god, it's agonizing. I just want to rid them of their ****tyness. God I can't stand watching them.
That's a little unfair, isn't it? They're casually playing, and the game was made to be played non-competitively. Not only that, but them playing and not being super-awesome isn't doing you any damage, nor is it anyone else.
Everyone started off like that at one point, even you. I hate it when people treat new players like this, it's appauling, yet still very common for people to act this way on these forums.

Zylar

Smash Ace
My friend mains pika like I do.
When we play all he does is thunder.
He knows how to play the game (Recovery, dodge, grab, aerials, etc.) because I see him do it.
But whenever he plays me all he does is thunder, in one spot, as I'm standing there not being hit.

And then he brags about that ONE time he beat me in a FFA match with all items on, while I was using Link (Becuase my friends "banned" my pika. Link is someone I'm totally not used to) and he was using Metaknight.
ARGH

I need to get a capture card or something.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I'm only insulted when I feel they aren't playing at full potential. If somebody sucks, but is working to improve, I'm cool with that.

Illomatic

Smash Apprentice
no, i dont think anyone should be insulted either
they are free to play what they want...however, i will say it can be very annoying

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
I laugh at them xD
if an another diddy is there(thats just Bad..like easy 3 stock(which has happened) ), i jsut avoid that person >.>

Adler

Smash Apprentice
If they're your only opponant then you will be able to beat them easily and move on to the next fight.

If there are others then aim for the weak ones.
:uzi: :confused::chainsaw:

If you're not playing a stock match, then treat them like a Stage Hazard.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I don't know if insulted is the right word, but I get kinda peeved when I see someone enforcing the negative stereotype of the character they are using, by spamming, or whatever it may be.

arch knight

Smash Lord
you really cant feel insulted by poor gaming.
most are very casual and rarely play on a hardcore level.
not everyone is willing to get blood lust and fight every single person who plays brawl then bring them down with your own petty insults you never know when you might suck so bad that they think the same about you

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I don't know if insulted is the right word, but I get kinda peeved when I see someone enforcing the negative stereotype of the character they are using, by spamming, or whatever it may be.
I imagine you mean bad Pika players...

I hate when someone says they're good at a character and then you destroy them...I feel decieved, and bad for the character. Unless it's Pit. I laugh when I see bad Pits. (No pun intended)

Diddy2k8

Smash Cadet
No. why should it insult you the way they play their game?? I mean they bought it they can play it anyway they should. Actually if anyone should be insulted it should be the game creators as we aren't playing the game the way they intended it to be. But as i said in the beginning it's our game. We bought it we can play anyway we want to.

As for when u see someone using your main horribly i mean sometimes at a tournament when i see a trash diddy i don't get mad it just builds my confidence up even more. But then u get people who watch you play as your main and trash talk in the back saying there better then u with said char. Then thats when u got to super sayian and 3 stock that ***!!!!

AssaultX

Smash Apprentice
I remember this one time I was at a "tourney" hosted by my city's staff who were not actual hosts. They posted reasonable rules, but it was filled with nothing but hyper little kids who ran around and yelled to each other: "I WILL BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF YU WITH PIT/META KNIGHT!!!!11!!!11!"

>___________>

They didn't know beforehand that due to the staff's poor sceduling skills, the "tourney" was only available for an hour, and the staff thought that due to the lack of time available, they decided to use the pointless tourney mode with random characters. I got Samus. Not exactly the charcter I like using, but I was familiar enough with her to get the job done and win the tourney for a $10 gift card to GameStop.

But at least the little kids I pwned said good game and great job to me. Probably because thier parents were there >.>

So overall, I'm fine playing with any kind of person, as long as they know they can learn stuff.

-=Blaze=-

Smash Rookie
Another example: in my school there was an ocassion were we played brawl in a conference room, there were two guys who were like "oh yeah we can beat all of you with pikachu and falco ", what did i saw? i saw just two guys fulljumping and hitting only special attacks, and my best friend and i were like: "man these guys have no clue about the A button"

Then a third guy, friend of the two above shown up and used sonic, I was able to fight him, the most predictable fight i could ever have, the kid just ran into every hit and grab i made , i was relaxed didn't brag about it until now ;) but my friends were literally eating the kid alive xD.

So it doesn't offend me but if i see it I normaly walk in, kick *** let them to learn and then go

Top Bottom