• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

does melee stand a chance at making the MLG circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hax

Smash Champion
elaborate on "financial reasons." i'm confident the melee community could beat pathetic turnouts for an MLG such as 180 and 250.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I'm pretty sure MLG puts a cap on the number of entrants..

Anyways, the only reason MLG won't put Melee on the circuit is because Melee is not the most recent Smash Bros game and is no longer the 'face' of the series. How do you expect new players to train and get good at a game that is no longer on the market?

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
it should but it doesn't. 250 turnout doesn't even hold up to the P4 turnout, and I'm pretty sure we could get that and more for a true MLG event. The problem is:
1: no one plays melee anymore asides from the competitive comunity
2: the community can't size up to Halo/Street Fighter/ whatever's popular
3: bringing it back would make MLG look kinda silly

There's a whole post about it from JV from a while back about why and how it got taken off and probably isn't coming back, I'll try to find it

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
maybe if we ask nicely

jk. but since m2k has won the mlg events so far, he might be able to convince mlg to pick melee up.

if we publicitize younger ppl favoring melee over brawl, it might send a message to them.. only we need a revolutionary sized amount of 13-16 year old kids.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
melee is old I don't think they play counter strike there even if it was one of the best mutli player shooters ever.

No the reason is because it's old iut has nothing to do with the fact it would be msart/dumb yes melee just had a tournment larger than any of the tournments they ever had all by them selfes. really it wouldn't be a bad idea to brring melee back even if they only play in twice a year once on each coast.

Hax

Smash Champion

are you kidding? even non-competitive smashers think melee is a better game than brawl.

neither can brawl lol

no, it would gain them a lot of respect for choosing the superior competitive game

Lovage

Smash Hero
MLG has never supported old games. they want new, casual games that everyone's played like modern warfare and halo 3 because it has the best chance at bringing in a new crowd of players. they have never shown support for the better game, only the more profitable game. it's completely understandable

plus they don't want to haul around LCD tvs (even tho brawl players said the TVs at mlg lagged balls)

imo one of the biggest things corporations like MLG overlook is that melee is like the ****ing coolest spectator sport ever. nothing is more exciting than insanely fast top level melee play. it's such an entertaining spectacle with such a diehard fan base its hard to believe it hasn't been picked up on a major circuit

Эикельманн [РУС]

CS 1.6 has an extremely strong community, and it's been around for twice as long, if not longer than any smash game. It is extremely old.

I can't say yes/no because I have no idea if it can or not; I'm not experienced with MLG.

MLG has never supported old games. they want new, casual games that everyone's played like modern warfare and halo 3 because it has the best chance at bringing in a new crowd of players. they have never shown support for the better game, only the more profitable game. it's completely understandable

plus they don't want to haul around LCD tvs (even tho brawl players said the TVs at mlg lagged balls)

imo one of the biggest things corporations like MLG overlook is that melee is like the ****ing coolest spectator sport ever. nothing is more exciting than insanely fast top level melee play. it's such an entertaining spectacle with such a diehard fan base its hard to believe it hasn't been picked up on a major circuit
As sad as this is, I think I'm 100% obliged to agree with it. It makes sense.

Personally, I got into Melee very late. I never really got to be a product of top level tournament hosting, professionally organized events, like what MLG held. But from the montages and videos, I've always wanted to attend an MLG. In fact, I wanted to attend so badly that I'm still to this very day re-considering playing brawl, just so I can attend and enter.

I wish MLG would pick up Melee, but I doubt they will.

The Irish Mafia

Non-competitive smashers either don't exist or they are glued to brawl. maybe 1/15 new brawl player will come to melee, and we'll have the occasional person who joins the community on his or her own accord. All this while we lose players every week. that's not a sustaining community, and as much as I don't like it, it's true.
Brawl can't hold up but it's fresh-faced, at least compared to melee. Casual gamers forgot about melee. According to them, Brawl is still melee 2.0, and it's unreasonable to just expect them to notice all the gameplay differences. They just see it as a nicer-looking game with a bigger cast and sonic. people play the game frequently without being involved with the competitive scene; this allows new players who want "the edge" on their friends to quickly find the community and expand it. That's how a community grows, and that's why brawl is in the MLG right now.
I just wanted to make 3 points lol

I want, more than anything else, for melee to get the recognition as a competitive game that it deserves. I think the simplest way for it to get that recognition is through MLG, and if I can do anything to increase the chances of that happening, if even by 1 percent, than let me know and I'll do it. Still, it's not going to come easy, and it may not come at all.

Straight

Smash Journeyman
Does Melee stand a chance? Yes, it does. And it did for a long time. It was a lot of fun but it doesnt seem like it will be put back on the roster either along with, or instead of Brawl.

It would be like putting halo 1 or 2 back on.

Charlesz

Smash Champion

This pretty much sums it up.

PB&J

Smash Hero
mlg should pick it back up..most of the people on this website play melee..i dont care if they dont do old games..lets make them do it or something..we need to figure someway to convince them..there are so many new players that i have been meeting that want to pick up melee over brawl so saying there aren't any newcomers is dumb ..but lets just put our heads together and figure this out or if it doesnt work out lets try other companies to sponsor us or something..lets step it up melee community

Hax

Smash Champion
i'd think brawl's "newcomers" (how many new players were actually there at the past 2 MLG's?) would be outweighed by the massive surge of melee players that would return from retirement to come to an MLG. our game's been out for 9 years; tens of thousands of people have played it during that time. i honestly think a melee MLG would hit 500 people

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
You know MLG is a joke, because melee was still strong when they were dumped and is still very strong. mlee is pretty cheap I mean really most people brong their own melee holder to tournments and mermory cards same for many tvs they would have to pay for veune like bring out old tvs they own and play eletric and if they had to buy more melee disks and mele holder that's like what $40?

really melee would be cheaper to pick up than anything else. Also seeing how just the players can throw larger tournments than MLG they could easily pick up melee if they felt like it and there would be a lot of players there.

unless you know they hosted it somewhere dumb like IN. but if they hosted only 2 a year one on each coast that would be super legit. they simplely just don't want games that are old WTF? old games are like cool old cars if someone sees it they will be like wow that's uber cool can I drive and everyone will play it cause it's amazing.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Does Melee really need MLG? We as a community provide everything they do with the exception of a sponsored prize. We almost always have commentary + videos + livestreams + high turnouts and plenty of setups at our personally ran nationals. Sure prizes aren't like 5 grand but they are like 2-3 grand (not bad). Chain-Ace even has those little banners MLG had on the videos now. We should just look for other sponsors. If we can seriously get 500 people that's grounds for sponsorship thats a lot of people. With that we can put half the money into increasing the pot and the other half for travel stipends for top 8 like MLG. Then we will have everything MLG has + bigger turnouts. We also don't have to deal with fighting with them over dumb rules (I think brawl originally had items on or something). Like some one in the thread mentioned before it costs nothing to sponsor melee since the community basically provides everything so we just have to make it worth their time. They put 2000$ into the pot they somehow make 2000$ back. Maybe like if we were sponsored by pepsi and everyone drank primarily pepsi at the tournament( People are gonna buy drinks anyway). 1000$ extra into the pot with 500 people would be a tremendous pot. And I say 1000$ because maybe we could use the other 1000$ to help the top 8 make it to the next one. Just a thought I guess.

Btw if we really want melee to become big. We need ONLINE! That would make us enormous. Some type of nearly lagless online. As long as you have a hard wired Fiber optic cable directly to your house like verizon FIOS offers that I have and others in NJ (don't know about other states) with the right programming it could be only 1-2 frames of lag playing people who live close with hard wired fiber optic internet. I don't know if the smash community knows but the starcraft community got so huge because the korean government issues super fast internet with hard wires to everyones house in seoul the largest city in korea. That's why its called the most "wired" city on the planet they have by far the fastest internet and virtually no lag on it. And of course that game has online play coupled with nearly every south korean citizen having super blazing fast internet. That made the game explode into getting 100,000 spectators at events in the past despite being a 12 year old game its still going strong.

Basically I figure most of the US will be wired within a few years and if we could figure out how to get a fast melee server with virtually no lag like they do for SC it could get huuuuuge. Theres def newcomers still comin into melee but there would be like triple the amount if online melee got big. Btw I can back hax up with the casuals thing. Theres quite a few kids who roam my neighborhood who say they like melee over brawl. As does my 6 year old brother and like 3 of his friends of similar age who have played both. At that age its a totally unbiased decision just based on fun at the most elementary levels. Melee is simply more fun even played for fun lol.

Anyways I don't personally how to approach either of these ideas. But if any of you out there do (maybe have personal connections with a potential sponsor or something) or have a lot of programming experience get to it!!

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
melee would be hard to get online and I would hate not really playing with them it's really fun to be next to someone and to talk and have a falcon punch match.

Banks

Smash Hero
I remember one of the reasons the MLG guy (Clap i think?) gave is that none of the necessary equipment is on the market for purchase (they don't count craigslist/ebay apparently)

ie you cannot contact best buy and get 50 gamecubes/melee discs/crt tvs. The equipment for brawl is easy to come by. I believe he used the word extinct in regards to melee >__>. Obviously this could be worked around, but that is what the guy said when people were trolling mlg for putting brawl on.

forget MLG though, what we actually need is more reliable ways to get and keep new players

@ eggm, online is going to happen eventually with the dolphin emulator. you can run melee pretty good with a decent computer, it's really slow on mine but mine isn't that great. and they will inevitably add kaillera or something to it just like the n64 emu's for ssb. won't be lagless per se but ssb online is really good

http://www.dolphin-emu.com/news.php

Eggm

Smash Hero
melee would be hard to get online and I would hate not really playing with them it's really fun to be next to someone and to talk and have a falcon punch match.
Obviously in person is more fun its the reason I switched from starcraft to melee in the first place. Its not meant to replace in person tournaments just to have a medium to play on in between tournaments and to attract new players with. But if everyone skills were sharpened with online play tournaments(in person) would be even more exciting for spectators as the games would be faster paced and better. Watching top level play while screaming with the other fans at the venue is a great aspect of melee which would be even better if players had a way to practice more conveniently at home.

I remember one of the reasons the MLG guy (Clap i think?) gave is that none of the necessary equipment is on the market for purchase (they don't count craigslist/ebay apparently)

ie you cannot contact best buy and get 50 gamecubes/melee discs/crt tvs. The equipment for brawl is easy to come by. I believe he used the word extinct in regards to melee >__>. Obviously this could be worked around, but that is what the guy said when people were trolling mlg for putting brawl on.

forget MLG though, what we actually need is more reliable ways to get and keep new players

@ eggm, online is going to happen eventually with the dolphin emulator. you can run melee pretty good with a decent computer, it's really slow on mine but mine isn't that great. and they will inevitably add kaillera or something to it just like the n64 emu's for ssb. won't be lagless per se but ssb online is really good

http://www.dolphin-emu.com/news.php
You can buy 50 wii's however (which MLG is obviously willing to do since they probably did it for brawl) and every game stop in america has 40-50 copies of melee (unless that doesn't count too)

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
i've once sat down and counted 57 melee disks at a gamestop. MGL doesn't even have to buy them WTF? everyone bring their own stuff a lot of the time.

Melee will never get into MLG ever again. MLG is a business and although they love us competitive gamers, they can't make enough profit from putting Melee on the circuit compared to putting barlw on. What we can do is improve our own tournaments right now. We could bring in new casual gamers, but I'm doubtful that college kids are going to join in at all. At college, people just drink, smoke, drugs, party (sex possibly?), but most of all, keep their noses trapped between pages of textbooks. Or at least the ones who stay in college are doing the last item. They have a life and what to do what people with a life normally do. They don't have time for video games that's not part of their daily/weekly routine. Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but I've tried too many times and failed too many times at my college to bring in casual gamers. I've only gotten 1 kid, who was my roommate, to recognize the competitive scene and he's interested in trying to go to a local tournament, but not a big tournament. He's afraid of losing too hard I've tried contacting him a few times, sadly, no response). Everyone else just forgot about the game entirely and went back to 100% having a life.

My point is, Melee is dying. We need to be able to keep us alive until Smash4 arrives, especially if Smash4 isn't made by Sakurai.

Maybe someone with bright ideas can bring in new players because I'm hoping that I sucks extra hard at bringing new players in. Maybe at tournaments people could:
-put a Smashboards.com poster in a noticeable place so anyone curious walking by can go here to find out more.
-Advertise tournaments in local places, see if you can have permission put put up a poster in your school somewhere.
-bring set ups. It's less fun to watch someone play Melee than it is to actually play Melee.
(The next few points are directed at tournament video uploaders)
-Include links to threads (tournament, results, and video) in the video descriptions. There are casual Smashers out there who only watch tournament videos and never go to tournaments for various reasons. Also include the city and state of where the tournament's held. (I never started going to tournaments because I always thought they were too far away and I didn't have a car. Ironically, ChuDat and Sypher held bi-weekly tournaments within biking distance from me during my ignorance.
-Copy/paste your tournament threads onto other Smash forum websites.
[quote and complete the list if you have any ideas]
* http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28
* All is Brawl blogs (and pray they get recommended)
-make advertisements on youtube, especially if you have a lot of subscribers.
-make annotations to keep track of score.
-In your videos threads, include anti-spoilers. When there's two links in a best of three set, it's so easy to tell who will win the next game.

We need to advertise local Smashfests and tournaments to casual Smashers who don't know much about tournament Smash. A casual player at anything wouldn't go through a lot of effort to attend a big event which only casually interests him.

If people are going to look at how to improve Smash at MLG, we should be looking at how to improve barlw at MLG, no matter how bad it is. I would gladly let Melee die if Smash4 turned out to be a great game like Melee. If Smash4 happens to be a really good game and if we keep our strong community and bring in new players to both barlw and Melee, you know 1,000 entrant tournaments will be guaranteed withing the first 6 months of Smash4. barlw reintroduced a lof of casual players to competitive Smash brothers and brought entirely new players to our community as well.

Personally, I think SBR could make barlw more fun, or at least make barlw suck less. Back when I played solely balrw, I played with heavy gravity and reflect status (which basically makes projectiles useless) and I never played MetaKnight because the first two rules made MetaKnight super broken. If barlw players can't camp with projectiles anymore, stuff like this can never happen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QijsuAnngSY And with heavy gravity, players will stay closer to the ground which is easier to reach before hitstun (lol) expires in that game. Falco and Pikachu have the same wieght in Melee and guess how and why Falco is more comboable? Falling speed. With a faster falling speed, recoveries are less guaranteed so players can't live forever like they used to. Yes, this does **** our current tier list. Yes, it does bring in new short chain throws and utilt locks (which only last up to 20-30%) and makes current chain throws more broken. Yes, it is a major change that no one wants to do. But my point is you all suck extra hard and I'm going to mention how much I suck with this gay idea because no one will approve of it anyways. You all suck.

Did you like my ******** rant?

Also, bored barlw players who are bored of barlw convert to SF IV instead of Melee because Melee is too difficult.

Atlus8

Smash Master
The newest game will get the most attention! MLG would go with the safer choice with Brawl since it will bring in more ca$h than Melee would! Honestly, I would love to see Melee in the EVO lineup instead of MLG!

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
how will brlaw bring in more money? they have to pay for wiis and junk brlaw stuff cost more and there have been larger melee tournments than brlaw ones. who ever said brlaw is where all the money is right but it won't make more money. because they lack the same huge ones melee has.

how will brlaw bring in more money? they have to pay for wiis and junk brlaw stuff cost more and there have been larger melee tournments than brlaw ones. who ever said brlaw is where all the money is right but it won't make more money. because they lack the same huge ones melee has.
I am some random soda company and I want advertisements all over a tournament venue. What gets noticed more: A venue with 500 barlw players where too ****ing many people on the internet are watching videos of stuff that happens at the venue, or do I want advertisements on a venue with 500 Melee players and only a smaller, more select, group of people are watching videos of what happens in the venue. Also, ads are played at the beginning and ending up stuff like you see on tv.

S l o X

Smash Champion
Honestly, I would love to see Melee in the EVO lineup instead of MLG!
This. People always talk about MLG but EVO should come into consideration just as much. They still play old, more competitive games and take things like how appealing the game is into consideration.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero

are you kidding? even non-competitive smashers think melee is a better game than brawl.

neither can brawl lol

no, it would gain them a lot of respect for choosing the superior competitive game
1. They do? not in the south.

2. Brawl has over hyped and over sized every MLG game except halo, and even the halo players took time to walk over to brawl to see the hype. plus Street fighter isnt in MLG. only ****ty tekken.

3. MLG doesnt care about respect, they care about money. Plus, "superior Competitive game" is a point of view.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The newest game will get the most attention! MLG would go with the safer choice with Brawl since it will bring in more ca$h than Melee would! Honestly, I would love to see Melee in the EVO lineup instead of MLG!
Lol, the Brawl players pretty much ruined our chances of that after Evo 2k8. SRKers generally don't like SWFers at all, regardless of the game we play.

Atlus8

Smash Master
who ever said brlaw is where all the money is right
Are you kidding me?! EVERYONE! You can make more money placing in Brawl than you would in Melee right now! There is a bigger Brawl scene right now than there is Melee! Don't know exactly by how much, but it IS bigger! More people = more money! Sadly, that's what MLG cares about! Melee has had one great tournament so far, Pound 4! Melee attendance just r@ped Brawl that day! I honestly don't know if Melee has had another 100+ tourny after that . . .

I luv how EVO still puts games in their lineup like Tekken, Melty Blood, and (for a good while) SFIITurbo! EVO is all about giving the people what they want! They are doing it for the love of the game!

Lol, the Brawl players pretty much ruined our chances of that after Evo 2k8. SRKers generally don't like SWFers at all, regardless of the game we play.
I think it was the ruleset that really f***ed it up! I think it was SRK that screwed up that day!

Sasha

Smash Journeyman
Hax and Eggm are 100% correct about non-competitive smashers enjoying Melee more than Brawl. All they need to do is be introduced to both. I've gotten my entire fraternity (and some sorority girls) into Melee simply because I have it and play it. I switch to Brawl and, "wait. why is it so slow?"

In other words, there are plenty of people out there who love Melee, like Melee more than Brawl, or just like fast-paced games in general.

We just have to get out and find them, instead of thinking that every newb to the community just wants to play Brawl. (Seriously, Melee players hate on people hard. I don't get it.)

We don't need MLG. Brawl doesn't even need MLG. Our communities kicks some a** in supporting ourselves and loving the games.

Money/sponsorship is something that will help us stay alive. I get that. Someone has to know somebody in some big company that will help us out (maybe partnered with VG Bootcamp). Let's get to work.

Smashboards tried to convince SRk to let them use the SBR ruleset, but SRK has this policy where they're not friendly in letting people outside Evo staff manage tournament rules. Or something like it.

Lovage

Smash Hero
yeah, if we want to get affiliated with a e-sports event i would set your sights on EVO not MLG. that's a hugely successful fan run tournament where they give attention to the classics (super turbo, mvc2, cvs2)

Deathknight

Smash Ace
Considering how EVO ran Brawl last time do we even want to try asking them? I mean all items on and that crappy stage selection? Think of how they would run Melee. They ran it with SWF rules in the past but I heard that was just due to that there wasn't enough time to make their own ruleset.

Considering how EVO ran Brawl last time do we even want to try asking them? I mean all items on and that crappy stage selection? Think of how they would run Melee. They ran it with SWF rules in the past but I heard that was just due to that there wasn't enough time to make their own ruleset.
Last time barlw was at Evo, it was an unadvertised side event. Smash players got to organize and run it, but they had to bring their own equipment and all. I'm not shure if we even had a projector set up or anything. And yes, we used our own rules.

Hax

Smash Champion
so many of the arguments being made by the people against melee on the circuit are irrelevant.

inability to purchase equipment to play melee is not only untrue (melee/wiis are still sold), but can be supplied by the players.

brawl having the bigger community at best means more forum posts for MLG; congratulations, only a fraction of those people are actually willing to fly out to the tournaments. it goes without question that melee players are more passionate about their game and just about all of us would fly out. thus, more money for MLG.

Mongoose, i could get into an endless argument with you about melee being a better game than brawl but like you said it doesn't matter. money is MLG's primary focus and considering games like Tekken are able to make it onto the circuit (and yield exceptionally sh*tty attendance) i don't think there's any reason not to add melee. in addition, melee/brawl come from the same series and so there would be many mutual players, meaning more entrants, meaning more money for MLG. Halo, Brawl and Melee would be a great lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom