• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does no one play G&W anymore?

• Thread starter Homsar, a Trendy Tote Bag
  • Start date

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
With regards to what people have been saying about G&W being predictable/limited, I'm going to disagree with this. I'll make this short and simple so you get the point.

If you think your G&W is not performing well because he (the character) is too predictable or because his setups are too limited then I'd have to say you are playing the character wrong. The character has so many options and tricks. However, most people are blinded to these options while playing a match because the first thing that usually crosses their mind when they don't know what to do is "Jump > Use Aerial" or "Spam Smash Attacks"

I'm not saying every G&W player does this, just the majority. The character is built to work like this. It's very easy to play the character G&W. It's very hard to play the character G&W correctly against smart players. It takes a lot of patience, dedication, and experience in certain matchups.

EWING

Smash Apprentice
School: Nashville, TN Home: Long Island, NY
With regards to what people have been saying about G&W being predictable/limited, I'm going to disagree with this. I'll make this short and simple so you get the point.

If you think your G&W is not performing well because he (the character) is too predictable or because his setups are too limited then I'd have to say you are playing the character wrong. The character has so many options and tricks. However, most people are blinded to these options while playing a match because the first thing that usually crosses their mind when they don't know what to do is "Jump > Use Aerial" or "Spam Smash Attacks"

I'm not saying every G&W player does this, just the majority. The character is built to work like this. It's very easy to play the character G&W. It's very hard to play the character G&W correctly against smart players. It takes a lot of patience, dedication, and experience in certain matchups.
That's exactly what I was saying. I still don't get how people don't recognize the contradiction by saying "GW has a ton of good options" and "GW is way too predictable" in the same paragraph. Some people might say "well, approach with bair is his BEST option, anyway." Against good players, though, what's best is often what's the least predictable.

Boxob - you're actually right to say pick up a low tier character. I've been using Jiggs mainly (though I haven't been going to many tournaments lately), and trying to win playing a character who struggles that badly really teaches you fundamentals. Going back to GW is incredibly refreshing because you start playing smart instead of super-aggressive.

And doesn't fighting a good Snake entail camping of some sort for almost any character?

lou4222

Smash Lord
I also dont think its Game and Watchs fault that hes not placing high. UTD just placed 9th (one win away from money) at Genesis and also did very well at Apex. UTD outplaced all Marths, Pikas, Robs, Lucarios, etc. The only characters that placed higher were Falco Snake MK Wario and Diddy. UTD Zach I think has proven himself as a national level player. How many other characters can say that. Wario, MK, Snake, Diddy, and ICs (Lain) The game is young and 9th place at Genesis should get everyone excited, not thinking about looking for other characters :)

Al_G&W

Smash Rookie
Okay, so maybe Game and Watch CAN be predictable, but like others have said, it's because of us. He's insanely fun to play, and actually not that predictable if you mix it up a lot by changing your air game, which direction you grab and having a number of different moves/combos for the direction you choose, to just the general mind games that Brawl brings out :)

Supreme65

Smash Apprentice
He's really fun to play as. My brother gave up on sonic cuz my GnW and Peach *****. I think GnW only secondary is wario. Cuz he's strong against snakes and mks. Just avoid marths and GnW wins:)

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
wario is the most offensive character in the game, sorry, not everyone plays like dmg. You don't need to camp at ALL with wario to win, some people feel the need to because he runs well, but he plays a much better hybrid game than gw does, thats for sure.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
wario is the most offensive character in the game, sorry, not everyone plays like dmg. You don't need to camp at ALL with wario to win, some people feel the need to because he runs well, but he plays a much better hybrid game than gw does, thats for sure.
playing wario efficiently doesn't require camping. he's a pretty versatile character if you didn't already know...
You cannot deny the fact that there are too many matchups in which Wario is pretty much stuck aircamping waiting for the opponent to approach. Playing overly offensive against MK, D3, Marth and hell even G&W isn't the smartest thing to do.

"wario is the most offensive character in the game"

That, is exaggerating.

QueWhatHuh

Smash Cadet
I still main G&W. I may be the only one who does in NJ, i find it frustrating at times, but i've beaten some well known players with GW. I'll probably keep him til brawl is over. Maybe I'll be the one to take him to another level XD who knows.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Hey Ampharos, stop posting paragraphs for your every post nub.

Hydruz

Smash Cadet
theres still lots of gnw around. just not as many offline.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Playing overly offensive against any char isn't the smartest thing to do for any character. What game have you been playing? If mk, D3, or marth are overly aggressive against a good wario, they also get *****
Standing down alright, no need to start an endless discussion.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
i just picked up G@W and im looking for a wifi mentor to teach me him. Anyone interested?

Top Bottom