• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

does olimar's dsmash have a sweet spot?

yoonie

Smash Cadet
sorry if this a commonly asked q, I couldn't find it in a search or echo's (very detailed and useful) guide, so i figured i'd ask.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GNSCuhxlvKo

it looks like the last kill in the fight comes from sort of extra knockback from olimar's dsmash. Is it just the pikmin sent out or is there a specific sweet spot?

shanus

Smash Hero
Whats interesting about the dsmash is at times if you hit someone in the sort of middle of it, it appears to hit almost with both pikmin. I never tested it out, but ive seen hits where i have a blue going left, yellow going right, hit my opponent in the slight left/middle and it sends then left with electric properties and far knockback.

Newtwarrior

Smash Cadet
I'd say, possibly, when I have an opponent roll behind me, no matter what pikmin I have sometimes it just doesn't hit them as badly, its rather disappointing at times, sorta like Olimars smash F=>A if you don't hit the guy spot on it causes just a little knockback.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Whats interesting about the dsmash is at times if you hit someone in the sort of middle of it, it appears to hit almost with both pikmin. I never tested it out, but ive seen hits where i have a blue going left, yellow going right, hit my opponent in the slight left/middle and it sends then left with electric properties and far knockback.
I've tested it. I used a red and yellow pikmin. The enemy went flying, being both electricuted and burned.

To answer your question, I seriously doubt that.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
I've tested it. I used a red and yellow pikmin. The enemy went flying, being both electricuted and burned.

To answer your question, I seriously doubt that.
Watch this video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=VNvCJ8MsV-c (2:06). You will see the opponent getting hit by both Pikmin during Olimar's down smash.

Here's another video that shows an opponent getting hit by both Pikmin in Olimar's down smash: http://youtube.com/watch?v=bxIQRHtowlI (3:35).

If this is what you consider a sweet spot, well there you go. :)

kazaken455

Smash Apprentice
I don't really think it has a sweetspot. I just think the yellow pikmin do incredible jobs in smashes because of the extra zap. Like how reds give extra knockback on ariels.

Stiffmystirr

Smash Rookie
Yellow has a good vertical send, but if Echo had used a purple on Squirtle, he would have been off the stage. So the answer is no, and yes the pikmin heavily influence it.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Okay, so Olimar's down-smash DOES have an actual sweet spot. :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=est7x2A150I (1:53)

There really IS a sweet-spot in Olimar's down-smash, and this is proof of it! His down-smash did 27% damage on Charizard, using a yellow and purple Pikmin. According to NC-Echo's guide, yellows do 11% and purples do 15% damage. This should add up to 26%, but somehow Shrink's down-smash inflicted 27%!

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Okay, so Olimar's down-smash DOES have an actual sweet spot. :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=est7x2A150I (1:53)

There really IS a sweet-spot in Olimar's down-smash, and this is proof of it! His down-smash did 27% damage on Charizard, using a yellow and purple Pikmin. According to NC-Echo's guide, yellows do 11% and purples do 15% damage. This should add up to 26%, but somehow Shrink's down-smash inflicted 27%!
We're gonna pretend I did it on purpose ;)

shanus

Smash Hero
I do it fairly commonly nowadays, I find it overall quite useful on characters which tend to use their jabs to link into combos. It can be a devastating finisher and I tend to try and approach using whistle SAFs to get my body right up to their's followed by a near instant dsmash with both pikmin. It works beautifully

Once I get my friends vid camera and export all the replays I have saved for my combo vid I can post some of these if you want any more confirmation.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
works really well on character with slower jab combos like stated by shanus and I have an easier time doing on bigger characters after messing with it for a while today.

shanus

Smash Hero
as posted in the other thread, I figured I'd post it here too:

Alright I just did some quick testing and it is fairly reproducible. The spacing for this is not easy so being able to do this in a match consistently will be difficult. It is easier on larger characters, doable on medium sized, and hardest to time on the small bodies.

Basically the two pikmin get together at he start of his dsmash on the insides of olimars feet. In order to get double damage/both properties of the knockback you need to get the width of the inner of both olimars feet inside the other characters body. This can easily be done in training mode by just walking through an opponents body and as you enter through it perform a downsmash. You will see the damage range from around 22-26%, but I didnt do too many trials. Its easiest to practice it around 1/2 speed in training. By timing it to whichever side of the body you are on the character as you go through their body, they will be hit in that direction (or so it seems, I had one which didnt)

Link_blade_master17

Smash Cadet
DO you guys wanna know something funny? if yo are ROB and you are playing against a olimar and he gets his final smash, just press up, up B and it cant hit you. rob flys high enough that he can get eaten nor hit when it comes back down! LOL

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
DO you guys wanna know something funny? if yo are ROB and you are playing against a olimar and he gets his final smash, just press up, up B and it cant hit you. rob flys high enough that he can get eaten nor hit when it comes back down! LOL
Well that was certainly off-topic.

Anyway, it seems like people are able to reproduce Olimar's double Pikmin down-smash pretty consistently, depending on the size of the opponent. I'm glad this isn't some once-in-a-lifetime trick that can only be done by super-professional SSBB players. This is great news, everyone!

FmAiGkGeO

Smash Cadet
Could it be that the poke trainer pokemon could take more damage the longer they're in? That might be the reason for the 27% hit. If not than it's a really powerful d-smash.

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
I have done this everytime i hit with 2 purples. Is it possible that purples knock them toward the on the one?
I mean, there has not been one time when i usee double purps that this does not happen, sorry i don't got some vids....

RobinotX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobinotX
I think it has.. I use it very often..

It's so good...

But I think it is when the opponent was in the middel of the attack.. but I ain't sure.. have to play it =o

shanus

Smash Hero
just reread my post on the bottom of the last page... it explains everything

Link_blade_master17

Smash Cadet
Well that was certainly off-topic.

Anyway, it seems like people are able to reproduce Olimar's double Pikmin down-smash pretty consistently, depending on the size of the opponent. I'm glad this isn't some once-in-a-lifetime trick that can only be done by super-professional SSBB players. This is great news, everyone!
i know its was of subject but try it.....its actually kinda cheap

exile018

Smash Rookie
yes it does

the sweet spot is directly on top of Olimar. Works great when they try and roll through you. both pikmin will hit him causing around 25% dmg

Top Bottom