• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Platform Dropthrough Conserve Wavedash Momentum? (if so, possible applications)

Priority Fire

Smash Rookie
Earlier this week I was on my region's Facebook group for PM, and someone had posted a video of possible Luigi tech. The OP suggested that while a character's on a platform, if the character wavedashes and drops through the platform while he's sliding, he conserves that character's wavedash momentum. (I'll link the vid, but for those who can't see it for whatever reason, it shows a Luigi wavedashing into a dropthrough bair, which moves him more than halfway across Yoshi's Island Brawl.)

So, before I go any further - is it indeed possible to dropthrough and conserve wavedash momentum? I tried, but my tech's really inconsistent so idk if I was actually doing it correctly </3

If so, then this opens the door to some pretty sick stuff, since we a great wavedash have aerials that are really good when Squirtle's zipping across the screen. Bair covers a lot of space, stays out for a while, is quick, and might be invincible on the tail (can't remember if Squirtle's tail is invincible for all of his aerials). Nair has armor if they're trying to intercept us with a weaker attack. Incomplete falling dair (so, land before the last hitbox, otherwise you knock them away from the ground) may lead to dtilt, running JC grab, or pivot hitbox -> anything, depending on positioning.

I'm still trying to improve my tech so that it's consistent and I can actually test all of this out for you guys, but to the Squirtle gods, do you guys think this tech could be useful in a competitive match?

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
I'm like 75% this works as advertised. Let me open Dolphin real quick and check.

Even if platform drop did stop momentum, though, that would be a useful movement mixup (waveland, slide off the side, bair vs waveland, drop down, let them whiff an attack, punish).

EDIT: This works fine. The tricky part is falling through the platform fast enough so that it's actually meaningfully different from just letting yourself slide off the side of the platform.

Last edited:
Top Bottom