• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does practice even matter? Are some just naturally gifted?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
First, I'll say that yes, practice does matter, and then I'll tell you a theory that I hold very precious, and so does Mew2king:

The most important skill is the ability to learn. But just like anything else, we believe this ability can be improved. People that are "naturally talented" started with a high base ability to learn, but you can actually "improve" your "talent" and not only refine your "skill".

Talent is "your natural ability to perform". Skill is "your actual ability to perform". Skill must be developed and refined. However, I believe that talent can also be developed and refined. However, the method is different.

You have to practice your mentality, to develop your talent. Often times, you will hear a pro player say "You have to understand why you got hit or what lead to you landing a hit". But despite this seemingly obvious advice, many people don't pick up on it. Why? Because they do not have the right mentality for honing their talent, when this type of basic advice is actually targeting that. This advice is not telling you what to do to be better. It's telling you HOW TO THINK, so you can learn to be better.

I'm not going to teach you all the thought processes necessary to become like that, but I am confident that those of you who truly have the will to evolve into a top player, or to be successful at ANY aspect of life, will seek this out for themselves, learn it, and master it. The more you develop your ability to think and learn, the greater you will be at any endeavor you undertake, and the more "talented" of a person you will become.

Now, that deals with the natural talent part. As for practice? I cannot think of a top player who did not practice. Mew2king, dominant player, practiced for HOURS UPON DAYS UPON WEEKS TO PERFECT AND REFINE HIS SKILL. ADHD in his prime CONSISTENTLY PRACTICED. Nairo practiced in a similar fashion to Mew2king. Ally practiced. Vinnie practiced.

The reason you might be led to believe that practice doesn't matter is because practice without understanding is futile. This is why I never grew to be a top player, but I was always a contender. I learned how to be good, and I practiced at the same time, but when I truly attained the understanding necessary to be a top player, I was no longer practicing. I was getting outclassed by players who practiced more than me. And I asked myself "do I still have the ambition to be the best, as I once did?" And I answered myself honestly, "No." And shortly after, I quit Smash.

When I played 3rd at Brainshock Beta (my last major tournament), I think I played like **** to be honest, but you better believe that I practiced a lot. You might hear top players say, "I won and I didn't even practice" but what they really mean is, "I didn't prepare for this event specifically." Do not be deceived, all of the pros have put in hundreds to thousands of hours into the game, honing their craft, and take it quite seriously.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
I have to deliberately copy and save all of Pierce's words of wisdom to prevent them from being buried! They're so good!

Speaking of learning, this quote came to mind:
“The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write,
but those who cannot learn, unlearn and relearn.”
– Alvin Toffler

:phone:

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I kind of believe I can become good at smash with practice, but I think I develop very slowly. Perhaps I am just not good at learning, as pierce said. I do believe if I can get good at smash, I can develop my talent too, though. Sometimes I doubt myself as well. I'm not a major player in Smash, I am pretty decent compared to the pro's at tournaments. I'm usually an aggressive player. My mind set is to be aggressive, and apply pressure. (Which, pressure doesn't usually work when I play with people of equal, or better skill for me, I think)

I keep practicing, and fighting other people trying to develop my skill. I think I need to work on my mentality more, rather than just attacking mindlessly. I'll keep playing, and hope I get better.

I think I also improved my talent when playing games because I had been playing video games since I was very young, on the N64. I wasn't doing very good, but when I look back, the things that where hard for me to do, are much easier now. I'll keep playing and practicing, trying to get better, but I don't truly know if I will become better. I just hope. I've been playing Brawl for 4-5 years. I think I have improved a lot, and I am proud of myself, but I am still lacking in certain aspects.

I also looked back at my first replay, and I was dash attacking them, which wasn't a smart idea. :c (Although it seemed to work, BUT this was on Basic Brawl, and there usually aren't skilled players on Basic Brawl) Also, another thing is Wi-Fi lag. I think I would do better offline, I do, actually. But then again, the people I brawl will also do better offline, so I don't think it will get me much anywhere to just play offline.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It's very rare to do good at Brawl without practice. There have not been many people I've met or seen that can do well without playing a lot/practicing. I personally never practiced Brawl much, the local scene for me died in 6 months lol.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
I honestly think people want brawl to warrant practice. The whole point of brawl was to take out what seperates player in skill. That what they're main goal was. I don't doubt playing it more often makes you better but it's only because you learn about general fighting game tactics with accounts for what only seems skill growth over time.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I honestly think people want brawl to warrant practice. The whole point of brawl was to take out what seperates player in skill. That what they're main goal was. I don't doubt playing it more often makes you better but it's only because you learn about general fighting game tactics with accounts for what only seems skill growth over time.

So the only thing you consider skill is techskill?

Top Bottom