• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Does the 3DS hold you back?

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
I've gotten used the 3DS controls to the point that I find no flaw in it. It's very responsive and everything just feels right.

JimClassic

Smash Rookie
I think it can be difficult at times, yes. I've always been accustomed to a gamecube controller over a rectangle with buttons.
I do alright with my 3ds, however I sometimes my hand cramping up.

D

Deleted member

I've got no problem playing on 3DS and switching over to the Pro Controller. They both have (almost) the exact same button layout, making it very easy to get used to, in my case.

Although my Circle Pad isn't broken in any way, it's been getting a problem lately. Nonetheless, I'll still be playing the handheld iteration a lot more compared to its console counterpart.

kigakeun3

Smash Rookie
It depends on the model you're using. I hate playing on the 2ds and the regular 3ds. I have the 3dsxl and I love playing on there. It doesn't hold me back because I always favored the joystick over the c-stick, making it all the more comfortable to play on the handheld.

I especially like using my 3dsxl when I connect it to the Wii U. The buttons are in such a short proximity from each other that my sausage fingers can easily navigate back and forth between them.

Raythegamer

Smash Cadet
NNID
StrikerZ
3DS FC
1864-9222-9909
The only thing I can do with smash attacks on my 3DS is Up-smash with the C-stick. All the other smashes are too slow, since the stick is so stiff.
And even now, my c-stick is starting to peel from under.

Smash attacking on 3DS is so unreliable that I can rack up damage super easily, but never kill. I've gotten people up to 200% before being able to kill.
I got to 222%(lol triple 2) and still cannot KO them

Raythegamer

Smash Cadet
NNID
StrikerZ
3DS FC
1864-9222-9909
I don't think it's suitable to play for the 2DS.Its just weird and kinda holds you back.I also don't recommend to use the regular 3DS cause there are pretty sharp areas where it hurts your hand.3DS XL is better cause it has blunt areas and feels good.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Absolutely not. I would even say that it's one of the best control options for Smash. A lot of people tend to diss it because of the existence of the gamecube controllers but they just haven't been trying hard enough to get used to it.

But as others pointed out, it depends on the model as well, I don't recommend using a regular 3DS or a 2DS at all. To me the New 3DS XL is the way to go thanks to it's size and the C-stick. I use it for both casual and competitive play.

Raythegamer

Smash Cadet
NNID
StrikerZ
3DS FC
1864-9222-9909
Absolutely not. I would even say that it's one of the best control options for Smash. A lot of people tend to diss it because of the existence of the gamecube controllers but they just haven't been trying hard enough to get used to it.

But as others pointed out, it depends on the model as well, I don't recommend using a regular 3DS or a 2DS at all. To me the New 3DS XL is the way to go thanks to it's size and the C-stick. I use it for both casual and competitive play.
I dunno...The circle pad problem for 3DS is probably another reason why people would use the GameCube Controller.I mean,I don't have the problem but people are complaining about it

Last edited:

Raythegamer

Smash Cadet
NNID
StrikerZ
3DS FC
1864-9222-9909
On regular 3DS XL? Kinda.

I wanted to do an F-smash. I get an F-tilt.
I wanted to do a running Fireball. I get a uncharged Green Missile.
I wanted to do HooHahNado. I get Green Missile and getting ****ed up because of it.
I get a read. I throw out different moves thus getting punished.
Running fireball=next to impossible.

Raythegamer

Smash Cadet
NNID
StrikerZ
3DS FC
1864-9222-9909
Trying to maintain the Circle Pad's longevity can be troubling, since Smash 3DS does not let you use the directional pad to move your fighter around.
Using the D-pad is even worse.To me,there's more friction and less control of the speed(it matters if your character is just suddenly too fast and you can't control it)

~Astra

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChainsawPolice
The circle pad problem
Is that about the frailty of the circle pad and how its prone to breaking?
Yeah, I can get that. I rarely play Smash on my New XL, and the pad just feels really... Light? Cheap? ****ty? Either way, it feels really prone to breaking, and that always makes me play really conservatively.

I guess cheap isn't the right word. It feels okay through light use (Animal Crossing, etc.), but when you start ramming it around is when it feels like it's on the edge of snapping.

Using the D-pad is even worse.To me,there's more friction and less control of the speed(it matters if your character is just suddenly too fast and you can't control it)
Tell that to the guy I saw today using a sideways wiimote in a tourney match

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I dunno...The circle pad problem for 3DS is probably another reason why people would use the GameCube Controller.I mean,I don't have the problem but people are complaining about it
True, the circle pad is less flexible to the control stick and you will do some mistakes at first like using Side B instead of Up B while recovering. But that is just a temporary inconvenience that can eventually be surpassed with enough practice. Over time if you dedicate yourself you start working on your finesse and eventually you'll succeed at playing the game perfectly, even at high level play.
I don't think there is a true disadvantage when comparing a 3DS controller to a GC controller but the 3DS demands a higher learning curve. After a while you will have mastered the game and the controller itself; I've been using my New 3DS for almost a year now and the Circle Pad is still in very good state, haven't broke one before, then again I make sure to take a lot of care of my handhelds.
And running Fire Ball, very possible to do. B reversing as well.

I feel confident in using it as a controller and I've encountered my fair share of great players online using the 3DS version; even one time I fought this high level Ryu who managed to perform all of his commands perfectly.

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
Running fireball=next to impossible.
Actually. It's VERY possible. You just gotta work on the timing. However, when under the pressure of opponents... THAT's when the Green Missile comes in in a fart-ish opening that sends you at 2cm per hour and Luigi stays like that for another year.

Raythegamer

Smash Cadet
NNID
StrikerZ
3DS FC
1864-9222-9909
True, the circle pad is less flexible to the control stick and you will do some mistakes at first like using Side B instead of Up B while recovering. But that is just a temporary inconvenience that can eventually be surpassed with enough practice. Over time if you dedicate yourself you start working on your finesse and eventually you'll succeed at playing the game perfectly, even at high level play.
I don't think there is a true disadvantage when comparing a 3DS controller to a GC controller but the 3DS demands a higher learning curve. After a while you will have mastered the game and the controller itself; I've been using my New 3DS for almost a year now and the Circle Pad is still in very good state, haven't broke one before, then again I make sure to take a lot of care of my handhelds.
And running Fire Ball, very possible to do. B reversing as well.

I feel confident in using it as a controller and I've encountered my fair share of great players online using the 3DS version; even one time I fought this high level Ryu who managed to perform all of his commands perfectly.
I meant it coming out...

Mask and Mirror

Smash Apprentice
I sort of wish there'd never been a 3ds version. It lost us Ice Climbers :/ I actually found the game easier on the 3ds, I think they made the wiiu version a little harder so that people who bought both wouldn't just sail through after playing 3ds

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I sort of wish there'd never been a 3ds version. It lost us Ice Climbers :/ I actually found the game easier on the 3ds, I think they made the wiiu version a little harder so that people who bought both wouldn't just sail through after playing 3ds
That is a bit selfish, the 3DS version is a great asset for a lot of people being portable and stuff. Compared to that, the Ice Climbers was a very small price to pay.

Last edited:

Mask and Mirror

Smash Apprentice
That is a bit selfish, the 3DS version is a great asset for a lot of people. Compared to that, the Ice Climbers was a very small price to pay.
I just don't think it's a good fit for the console. I'd much rather have had Smash Run on Wii U than Smash Tour, and I think it's a shame that the restrictions of the 3DS have held back the other version. They aren't the same game, after all, so I don't see why it should have happened that way

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I just don't think it's a good fit for the console. I'd much rather have had Smash Run on Wii U than Smash Tour, and I think it's a shame that the restrictions of the 3DS have held back the other version. They aren't the same game, after all, so I don't see why it should have happened that way
I disagree, the game plays absolutely fine on the handheld. And Smash Run was built so that players would have their own screen; it wouldn't work well in the Wii U considering that they would have to resort to split screen.
And the 3DS didn't exactly held back the Wii U except for the Ice Climbers and transformations (which is actually considered a plus for a lot of people). The Wii U version has no less content that you would have normally found in previous Smash iterations.

Mask and Mirror

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, true. I never considered that it's possible to play Smash Run in multiplayer. I just don't know anyone else with a 3DS, and I far prefer single player experiences anyway. That's why I really miss having a story mode.

Doesn't it also restrict the possibilities for DLC though? WiiU could handle far more, so I do feel that making everything work on both isn't really needed, especially since, for example, both versions have exclusive stages. I don't think it would be terrible to have WiiU exclusive DLC elements.

I also think making the same game work on two completely different systems must have been very costly in terms of development time, and could even have cost the WiiU sales, since what could be it's Killer App is availible, albeit in a slightly lesser form, on the 3DS as well

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
No. I only have the Wii U version :troll:

I did play the 3DS demo at Toys R Us when I went there to get a Bowser Jr. Amiibo though, and I had no trouble whatsoever with the stick, it felt fine, Although the sheild-grab differance was a pain.

Top Bottom