• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Does the online lag?

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
Just wanted to know before i get the game
My speed is 10 down and 0.9 up
And do u think the wii u version will have more lag?

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I've played about 5-10 games of For Glory and the lag was so awful that I wanted to rage quit (the only reason I didn't was because I remembered you can get banned for frequently exiting matches).

Not Brawl levels of bad mind you (Brawl's Wifi was literally unplayable at the worst of times), but still so bad it's aggravating.

I'm hoping this is just because the servers are packed with people or because I'm (possibly) not playing against people in my region.

NNID
browningit
3DS FC
4313-2000-6519
Does it lag right now? Yes. It's about as much fun as popping in an AOL CD on a 28.8kbps line. I just bailed on the topic altogether because it was a game played in slow motion. Nintendo needs to get it together server wise / load wise between people.

I'm on a 150/100 line at my place - so I certainly wasn't the issue.

Everything on launch day is awful for slowness issues.

Eranthe

Smash Rookie
there's definitely input lag. it's just normal internet latency that you'd expect in a client server game. it's probably impossible to have the game be lagless over wifi honestly.

Pink!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KirbyCanvasCurse
3DS FC
3695-0038-5541
I played a few online matches with my friend and it lagged only once or twice (and it wasn't that bad, it just paused for a second).
I don't know about with random people though, haven't tried that.

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
my current router is the one the isp gave me for free, so it may not be able to allow me to use the maximun of my internet speed...
will getting a new router help a bit?

ToonAdri

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Toonadri
Yeah,sometimes,but i think it's because today is the launch day and tomorrow works better!

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
My DLS is around 15MB and my ULS is 2.0 or so and I've had very little lag and latency issues so far. It's not perfect but it's SO much better than Brawl's online. Honestly, it will really depend on your connection and the connection of those your battling. Also, I don't think the Wii U version will lag as much if at all given that your not required to be on Wifi, you can have a wired connection which is SO much more stable than wireless. Hopefully you can have a smooth online experience like I am having ^_^

PizzaGuy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1289-8286-7485
I played 2 matches, the first with little to no visible lag, and the second was so bad it had to reload to get everyone back on track. Make of this info what you will.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
It's been laggy as all hell for me. Stutters throughout the entirety of every match. Whenever it was smooth I really tore up the enemy, but it was anyone's game when everything was jittery and I couldn't time my Dancing Blade or Monado Arts for ****.

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
Does it lag? Yes. Does it lag as bad as Brawl? No.

It's far more playable than Brawl's online in my opinion.

droughboi

Smash Journeyman
I played 17 For Glory matches, and 20+ For Fun matches with my 2 friends back home in Georgia (I'm in cali right now). Whenever I played For Glory, it ranged from slight input lag to just plain awful slo mo lag. For Fun mode had absolutely no lag at all. It was like playing offline by yourself. Idk wtf is up with the servers, but that crap is ridiculous. The whole time I played Glory matches, I was sitting there trying to cope and adapt to this stupid lag. Any lag-no matter how slight- makes the game unbearable for me; so I won't be going back to for glory ever again. If I can play with my buddies on the other side of the country with no lag (and his connection is average at best), then it shouldn't be that big of a difference with randoms in Glory mode. I understand that I could've been playing with some dude from a different country but still.... Fix the dang latency issue.

-Ran

Smash Master
I took two 3ds in the same room, and connected them our home wifi to play each other. I was able to perfect shield lasers fairly easily while looking at the -other- 3ds Screen as well as my normal screen.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I've honestly haven't had much problem with lag. I've only had lag for like 3 For Glory matches and one of them was 2v2. I'm pretty surprised actually.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I've had good and bad experiences, most of them middling(slight input lag).

Any stuff with friends however has been lagless and AMAZING

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
My DLS is around 15MB and my ULS is 2.0 or so and I've had very little lag and latency issues so far. It's not perfect but it's SO much better than Brawl's online. Honestly, it will really depend on your connection and the connection of those your battling. Also, I don't think the Wii U version will lag as much if at all given that your not required to be on Wifi, you can have a wired connection which is SO much more stable than wireless. Hopefully you can have a smooth online experience like I am having ^_^
My internet is about the same as Syrek. I generally have great feeling matches online. Even vs people 3k+ miles away FFA's. There's a few bad apples in For Glory but most of my matches have ran very smooth.

If people are constantly having connection problems, most likely it's your connection

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
I played 17 For Glory matches, and 20+ For Fun matches with my 2 friends back home in Georgia (I'm in cali right now). Whenever I played For Glory, it ranged from slight input lag to just plain awful slo mo lag. For Fun mode had absolutely no lag at all. It was like playing offline by yourself. Idk wtf is up with the servers, but that crap is ridiculous. The whole time I played Glory matches, I was sitting there trying to cope and adapt to this stupid lag. Any lag-no matter how slight- makes the game unbearable for me; so I won't be going back to for glory ever again. If I can play with my buddies on the other side of the country with no lag (and his connection is average at best), then it shouldn't be that big of a difference with randoms in Glory mode. I understand that I could've been playing with some dude from a different country but still.... Fix the dang latency issue.
that's really weird.... you should get more lag in for fun since it's 4 player

droughboi

Smash Journeyman
that's really weird.... you should get more lag in for fun since it's 4 player
I did 1v1 in For Glory mode; and 1v1v1 in For Fun with my friends on the other side of the country. When I played with my friends there was absolutely no lag, but 1v1 had a crap ton... It should be the other way around, but... *smh* Nintendo >_>

EarthBoundRules

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4399-0517-2480
I've had quite a few matches with unbearable lag. The kind with 1 second of fluidity for every 5 seconds of freezing.

Wronskian-Physics

Smash Cadet
I've played something like 200 1v1 For Glory matches and for me it's usually fine.
50% of the matches will be rather smooth, entirely playable throughout. 40% of the matches will have two or three stuttering moments, and 10% will have a period where it is very bad.

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
My internet is not the best in the world, it's a decent one. But i've had 1-2 matches with real lag, otherwise it is usually completely **lag-free**, and i mean it.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
It lags sometimes, but that is due to someone's connection . . . in other words, both players connection needs to be solid to get a solid match. I also noticed that the game had less love for 4 players, so 1v1 is recommended for best performance.

Oh, and there is a slight input lag, which has been ****ing up my timing for counters . . . gonna have to adjust for that.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
I've had quite a few matches with unbearable lag. The kind with 1 second of fluidity for every 5 seconds of freezing.
Basically every match for me (regardless of size). My internet connection is fine, I know that much, because this is the only game I ever lag on (if it can handle Dark Souls, it should be able to handle Smash). IDK what was going on, if I was connecting to west coast backlot Walmart connection players or Europeans or whatever, but it was unplayable. I'd really like to enjoy a lag-free match sometime.

Hell, Dolphin's netplay is smoother.

Last edited:

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
My very first game was laggy. Maybe my connection had to adjust, I am no expert. But every game ever since was completely lag free.

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
"Does it lag?"

Oh, yes. It lags. It lags so hard it peers into your very soul. (Maybe it's because I'm not at my house right now, but it is just awful. It is worse than Brawl's online for me so far.)

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
Considering I've had no problems I find it amazing how many people are saying it lags.

xTeru

Smash Cadet
Works really well for me, out of like 300 fights I only had 3 unplayable ones, I have 100 mb down 6 mb up and I'm close to my router. It was stupid to add lagless warm up though because you can still feel a difference even if it's smooth

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
There's lag for now because everyone's doing it at once. Give it a bit and it'll be fine. Shofu did a lot of For Glory on Twitch and there was only occasional lag

Matthew "Demo" Rak

Bad at Smash
Slippi.gg
Demo#0

There is terrible, terrible input lag. At least around 5-10 frames depending on whoever I connect to that is still using dial-up.

A lot of people here are saying it's better than brawl. Better than unplayable really shouldn't be the goal here. It's playable, if you can get used to the awful input lag. It's just like playing melee on an HDTV.

MSCowboy

Smash Rookie
Yea, well, until they invent faster than light communication, online games are going to have latency.

I honestly think that the latency while practicing online can help you become a better player, just by forcing you to think ahead. It's kind of like having to execute all your combos blindfolded.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
It's as bad as Brawl for me. Unplayable, really. Really disappointed :/ It's the game basically connecting you to anyone regardless of ping, don't know why Sakurai didn't change this from Brawl.

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
Yea, well, until they invent faster than light communication, online games are going to have latency.

I honestly think that the latency while practicing online can help you become a better player, just by forcing you to think ahead. It's kind of like having to execute all your combos blindfolded.
I know the technical part of it, but internet is not lightspeed, yes electric IS lightspeed, also radio waves are lightspeed, but cables are not capable of any of those speeds and also, they can shrink the data shared between games to really really tiny datas, like bytes and bytes.

I don't have problems with minor lags, but i just wanted to answer.

mega5657

Smash Rookie
Yeah it definitely varies, I actually got locked into multiple 1on1 matches with this random person and the match was flawless. It felt like I was playing offline or local. But there are other times with input lag is bad or the game stutters too much. But generally I can say the matches have been really good

NNID
browningit
3DS FC
4313-2000-6519
Days later, it's still so lag filled that it's completely unplayable. No wonder people are dropping from matches, I was probably paired with people playing in Japan. Beyond ridiculous. It's not hard to run matchmaking Nintendo, and keeping servers up isn't difficult either. Playing in slow motion is driving me to drink.

edit: grammar

Last edited:

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
I've only had a few laggy matches so far with many being almost lag-free (or are lag-free).

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Ironically, I get better connection the further away I am from the wireless receiver. Haven't been dealing much with lag honestly.

taitai

Smash Rookie
Game was nearly unplayable until I figured out my apartment has everyone sitting on or around the same channel i picked for my wifi router. Changing it to a channel that didn't overlap with anyone else made the game much more playable. Still has random stutters and slowdowns though.

I still think it might be something wonky on the 3DS, because my Wii U, Vita, PS3 and iPad are fine for gaming on wifi.

Top Bottom