• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does this game have the same competitive potential as Melee?

ETERNAL 0217

Smash Rookie
I know this question has been asked a million times, and I also know that Brawl is a completely different game, but the question still remains. It may be too early to ask, but I'll ask anyway: can professional Brawl reach the same level of skill and competition as Melee? Is there potential in the game's system, or are we just clinging to the remnants of the tactics from SSBM? After clearing SSE and unlocking every character, I feel like I should be going online and training to become better at the game - yet, whenever I watch a video of pro Melee, I feel like it's a waste because the old game was better. Sure, they're different games, but if Brawl can't become what Melee was then there's little point is mastering all of these tactics people are discovering. Sorry to sound like a noob, but this has been bothering me (and surely a lot of other people as well) and without a solution, I can't bring myself to play this game without feeling a black hole in my heart where Melee once was.
...Yeah, I can get pretty passionate about my gaming sometimes >_>

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
MCA (Most Common Answers)
1) "It's too early to tell."
2) "No, we have yet to find enough depth to find it as competitively viable as Melee is/was."
3) "N00b! It's a new game! We'll find new stuff eventually! Because I say so!"
3) "It's too early to tell + variation of one of the above."

mzero00X

Smash Rookie
If we carefully watch the evolution of Competitive Melee -- which spans a good 6+ years -- we would see a great deal of change in regards to speed, techniques, and mindgames. I think that if Brawl didn't come out yet and Melee was still the main Smash game, it would continue to further progress. Watching pros just 3 years ago, you can see a significant change in style and speed. For example, Bombsoldier completely revolutionized Falco with his unique style that ultimately propelled the space animal to become a high tier character (2nd overall to Fox the last time I checked). Numerous Falco players sprouted from everywhere and this was about 3-4 years after it first came out.

There are numerous other random things that were discovered sporadically throughout the Melee era. And eventually, just pure experience and gameplay iwill increase mindgames. The greatest thing that comes to mind in my opinion is Mew2King's rise in the game. If you watch his videos circa 2005 and compared it to his recent videos, there are some MAJOR changes in his play. He's so much faster, smarter, and even more technical. He's reached a level that could only have come from years of playing. Most Smashers obviously went through it, but to me Mew2King's evolution stands out the most.

If anything, I'm really excited to see the progress of Brawl's journey. It took me 4 years after Melee was released to really get into Competitive Smash. And now I'm able to start from scratch so I'm just waiting to see the 'nastiness' slowly, but surely develop.

Top Bottom