• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doing poorly against nubs who button mash

thaxceptional1

Smash Lord
i play against my brother who runs around a lot with no intention and abuses the **** out of c-stick and just button mashes in general, although i pretty much always either 3stock or 2stock him i still play pretty bad. But when i'm playing against good people i play a ton better

can anyone explain to me what the hell is wrong with me?

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
Overthinking your opponent? If he's just button mashing...there's no reason to think he'll do anything good, he's just going to spam. So...it shouldn't be that hard if you just play to outwit his spam, and not like you're playing someone who is actually good at the game.

Xanderous

Smash Lord
Since there's no logic or pattern to his movements, it's much more difficult to read him. I have the same problem.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
i believe it was hugs who said, "dont use mindgames against people who dont use them". just button mash too.

Shadower

Smash Cadet
I have the same problem except I win. I just wait for him to attack and he usually attacks right away, so i dodge wait for his lagg then launch him into the air. Or just get sheik and beat the crap out of him with little moves and then forward air smash.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Wait, are you beating him? Or are you just not 4 stocking him? I don't 4 stock many people, mostly because if they're bad enough, I slow down quite a bit and screw around a little. If you want to 4 stock him, just projectile spam him to high damage and then kill him.

orintemple

Smash Lord
When people button mash you just spam your "cheap" moves and you win. of course "cheap" moves aren't "cheap" against people who are good, so don't get used to it.

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
Uh, wait for lag and abuse? If he's spamming c-stick, then he has to have lag (unless he's shiek, in which case, he's not too nuby :p )

SirNegroJuice

Smash Journeyman
Part of "mindgames" is not getting too far ahead of your opponent, but rather just staying one step ahead of them. But it doesn't sound like you brother is completely random, because you said he "abuses the hell out of the c-stick." Can you not find any patterns within his c-stick spamming?

My guess is that there's nothing necessarily wrong with you. But your brother may be playing somewhat better than you think.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
just camp him w/ dash dances (most characters, wavedances w/ sheik) until he smashes, then smash him back. or grab combo. or any other combo. or anything. It should be very easy if the only thing he does is smash.

_X_

Smash Lord
i believe it was hugs who said, "dont use mindgames against people who dont use them". just button mash too.
Don't button mash. Fighting fire with fire will just lead to the game being even closer. No skills vs no skill = close match.

Simply Wait for him to do a smash attack shield > Grab > Combo > Win

Just wait and counter.

cemo

white walker
just camp him w/ dash dances (most characters, wavedances w/ sheik) until he smashes, then smash him back. or grab combo. or any other combo. or anything. It should be very easy if the only thing he does is smash.
this is all i ever do against noobs. tremendously effective if you have any idea what you're doing.

Top Bottom