• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dolls War - Vienna, Austria ~ Results are up!

Mr-R

Smash Champion
low tiers!!! whats a matter willz, u scared my link is gonna own ur cf ?

Pep1to

Smash Journeyman
Im interested. but now i got to decide if going to pound 4 or this ._., and hopefully this tournament is in early 2010 cause i wont be able to go if this tourney is in june +.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
What about Wii Sports as a side-event, everyone has it. (Not sure if we could get enough MKWs or MKDDs ;))

I would say Golf or Boxing, since the the others are unfair because of some stupid tricks (Bowling is instant 300... Tennis can be go forever if you are good enough... Baseball has also funny and stupid tricks to win every time...)

I prefer Golf anyway, Golf ftw !

Gmoney_

Smash Journeyman
Im also votig for MK double dahs as side event :p. And it seems like Istud alrdy put me on the interested list lol. Anyways, it really depends on the date (like many alrdy said) it all dutchies cud come to this.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
why would we play a game that 80 % of the attendees dont play...we could just do low tiers lol and its fun

JUDGE

Smash Lord
lol i am interested^^
GALE 14 as well x'DD

we are from germany

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
why would we play a game that 80 % of the attendees dont play...we could just do low tiers lol and its fun
Low Tiers are stupid.

I count E & F to show the problem.

Lucas is an OK character.

Mario is also an OK character - He would may be mid tier (C), but OH NO he gets infinited by DDD.

Ness is a good character (Better than other Low Tiers) - He would may be mid tier (C) if there wouldnt be Falco who destroys him with CG2Dair (& Marth, anyway I hear some people saying the infinite is escapable)

Yoshi is NOT GOOD.

Samus - Same as Mario + She really IS not good xD

Jiggs, CF, Link & Ganon are also NOT GOOD.

Thats why they would be OK in an low tier tourney. But the characters above Yoshi are that low because they are middle good character BUT they have 1-2 bad MUs vs. 1 non-LT character. With that non-LT-character gone they are too good.

Maybe I'm totally wrong with that, sorry if so xD

But why dont we just choose Brawl+ as an side-event ? This is maybe the best idea. Or we make ISP (Item Standard Play) Singles =D

Low Tiers are boring for me somehow, because its not different enough from the normal Singles, only characters beeing different -.-

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
While I wouldn't mind the idea of a low-tier tourney (I've done a low tier tourney at one of my fests), I think about 80% of the Brawlers coming to this main high tiers Ramin lol. So forcing someone to switch to a low tier to enter a tourney doesn't sound to good to everyone I would think (I might be wrong...).

Tero.

Smash Champion
What about Wii Sports as a side-event, everyone has it. (Not sure if we could get enough MKWs or MKDDs ;))

I would say Golf or Boxing, since the the others are unfair because of some stupid tricks (Bowling is instant 300... Tennis can be go forever if you are good enough... Baseball has also funny and stupid tricks to win every time...)

I prefer Golf anyway, Golf ftw !
Who the hell cares about Wii Sports?
It's a smash tournament and I don't want to play ****ing Wii Sports.

Do Brawl LT (w/ Sonic included), Brawl+ or MAYLAY.
I don't care.
But screw Wii Sports, MK Wii, MK DD (we're going to have more than enough MK's anyway) and any other games.

stelzig

Smash Lord
But why dont we just choose Brawl+ as an side-event ? This is maybe the best idea. Or we make ISP (Item Standard Play) Singles =D
If the whole "80% of the people don't play the game" point is so good then i trust that would still remain for brawl+... Unless I'M wrong and alot of the people interested actually spend time playing that as well.
And as willz said that again somewhat also goes for low tiers, but at least that is still not too different (as you pointed out yourself) and most people screw around with lots of characters with friends from time to time.
I know at least one interested brawl player here would be more interested in melee than brawl+ and i think if it came down to a battle between those 2 at least a poll should be put up.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
If the whole "80% of the people don't play the game" point is so good then i trust that would still remain for brawl+... Unless I'M wrong and alot of the people interested actually spend time playing that as well.
And as willz said that again somewhat also goes for low tiers, but at least that is still not too different (as you pointed out yourself) and most people screw around with lots of characters with friends from time to time.
I know at least one interested brawl player here would be more interested in melee than brawl+ and i think if it came down to a battle between those 2 at least a poll should be put up.
How about a random character tournament as a side event?
What about banned stages only ? lol

And most people screw around with lots of characters stages with friends from time to time.

Actually I would prefer banned stages only over low tier lol (Would be OK if we combine both)

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
How about a random character tournament as a side event?
That was already mentioned from someone via MSN as a possibility.

@xDD-Master:
There's more people interested in Brawl Low Tiers than Brawl+. I know that for a fact, because you are pretty much the only one who said he'd be interested in Brawl+, while I had at least 10 people who said they were interested into Low Tiers.
Furthermore, Brawl+ would require people to bring hacked Wiis, and I'm pretty certain that there's not many people who have this available.

Just because YOU don't like Low Tiers it doesn't mean everybody else does. Low Tiers actually is one of the more common side-events, and usually played a lot.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
There's more people interested in Brawl Low Tiers than Brawl+. I know that for a fact, because you are pretty much the only one who said he'd be interested in Brawl+, while I had at least 10 people who said they were interested into Low Tiers.
Furthermore, Brawl+ would require people to bring hacked Wiis, and I'm pretty certain that there's not many people who have this available.

Just because YOU don't like Low Tiers it doesn't mean everybody else does. Low Tiers actually is one of the more common side-events, and usually played a lot.
Yeah I know I would just go with the majority ^^

I just throw random ideas in and maybe get some supporter haha =D

It's always better to have more options and ideas than doing everytime the same without looking into possible variations :p

JUDGE

Smash Lord
nooo !!!
brawl low tiers are awesome lol^^
they are much more exciting than random char tournament
maybe because i main mario lol^^
but yeah let's take the low tier event^^

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
nooo !!!
brawl low tiers are awesome lol^^
maybe because i main mario lol^^
but yeah let's take the low tier event^^
nooo !!!
banned stages are awesome lol^^
maybe because i love playing on Wario Ware lol^^
but yeah let's take the banned stages event^^

:p

Pep1to

Smash Journeyman
Lol mr R maybe a 10 % mains low tiers. and brawl + is stupid.
Melee with fee would lock more players, and i find it hard to believe that only 20 % actually plays melee of the attendes. >_>

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I don't love Melee. D:
The Melee players here have put me off of the game.

I have a physical handicap, my finger joints have a defect. So I can't do stuff like, say, Wavedashing. When I got into the Viennese Melee community, I tried to pick up characters that aren't necessarily dependant on tech trixies, but I still got made fun of and verbally pissed on.

I like Brawl better and didn't want to continue playing a game for the sake of people who don't want me around anyway. =/
That's also the reason why I don't make an actually mixed tournament, but rather a Brawl only with Melee as side-event at most. I don't want to attract the Melee players, I actually want to help out the European Brawl community and advance them.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
WRONG

and

WRONG
Actually, EIDI exists, making it escapable. Bengals tested it (and honestly, after that debacle, who do you trust more, a marth main that's a respected researcher, the ness/lucas boards on this?).

Reverse pivot grabbing MIGHT solve this though.

I don't love Melee. D:
The Melee players here have put me off of the game.

I have a physical handicap, my finger joints have a defect. So I can't do stuff like, say, Wavedashing. When I got into the Viennese Melee community, I tried to pick up characters that aren't necessarily dependant on tech trixies, but I still got made fun of and verbally pissed on.

I like Brawl better and didn't want to continue playing a game for the sake of people who don't want me around anyway. =/
That's also the reason why I don't make an actually mixed tournament, but rather a Brawl only with Melee as side-event at most. I don't want to attract the Melee players, I actually want to help out the European Brawl community and advance them.
Peach, you should be fine.

Also, they suck, I think a few of them need to have a talk, with my fist.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
That's exactly the character I played (and Sheik as secondary).
Drop sheik, if you can't wavedash, you can't chaingrab.

Peach isn't technical, and powerful, if you're having difficulty because of tech skill, you're honestly using her wrong, she's a brawl character in melee.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
No no... it wasn't about that I couldn't wavedash only. I wasn't that good at Melee, which is the reason I got pissed on. I tried to get into the game again and play it competitively and get better, but you have no motivation if all you get is ****.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
NOOOOOOOO, EIDI DON'T EXITS!!!

Seriously, it's just normal DI ... nothing special about it...

:059:
Well, it is normal DI... people just didn't think it worked with grab releases, turns out it's just enough.

No no... it wasn't about that I couldn't wavedash only. I wasn't that good at Melee, which is the reason I got pissed on. I tried to get into the game again and play it competitively and get better, but you have no motivation if all you get is ****.
Melee is a fracking unforgiving game unfortunately. You suck for a long time before you get good, I'm really just starting to get legit good now, and before then I sucked. But Peach is your best choice, by far.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Melee is a fracking unforgiving game unfortunately. You suck for a long time before you get good, I'm really just starting to get legit good now, and before then I sucked. But Peach is your best choice, by far.
I'm fully aware of that, and actually, I wasn't even extremely bad with her, to be honest (like, I was at least averagely good). But only getting crap is not motivating. So I dumped Melee. I like Brawl better, I feel more comfortable with it and I <3 Brawl's community. Except if it wants to ban Meta Knight.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
You gotta teach me some Melee if you come...I suck D=

I can teach some more advanced strategies, but to get into the game, my advice is...

pick marth, spend game tipper f-smashing people. Don't randomly throw out f-smash, just f-smash when you know it'll hit. This works against up to mid-level players.

When you can do that consistently (or against better players), add in wavedash->tipper f-smash and dash-dance -> run cancel -> tippered f-smash.

Seriously, it works as a teaching tool, it teaches you how to observe and how to space which are the two most fundamental things in this game. Adding in the ATs teach you how to use them properly to achieve spacing and also to bait and punish.

After that, pick a main, learn to understand their moveset.

Then watch this and the 2 vids that follow it.

Then you can start learning character-specific ATs and advanced strategies.

You're now on the road to melee greatness!

(I put observation and spacing as first to learn, cause honestly, they're the core of your game, ATs only take you so far).

Too much of it is understanding the game itself for me to just teach, but I can teach you how to learn. And once you've got the basics down, I can teach you trixies.

I'm fully aware of that, and actually, I wasn't even extremely bad with her, to be honest (like, I was at least averagely good). But only getting crap is not motivating. So I dumped Melee. I like Brawl better, I feel more comfortable with it and I <3 Brawl's community. Except if it wants to ban Meta Knight.
Yea, I guess I got lucky, I got a very motivational crowd helping me with melee.

stelzig

Smash Lord
Drop sheik, if you can't wavedash, you can't chaingrab.
Pretty sure you can't do that in PAL anyway. Or maybe you were exactly referring to PAL techchasing (does that REQUIRE wavedashing? I don't even know lol) because i don't recall seeing NTSC use wavedashing much in their grab game.

And the wavedashing thing was just an example right because if you can't wavedash at all then you must have the same problem with a few things in brawl. I mean implementing and using wavedashing properly might not be that easy due to the pace of the game, but doing a single wavedash on command (or after a throw) shouldn't be impossible to learn for you if you can't do it already :p

And yeah the austrian melee community must suck if they act like that <_<

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
And the wavedashing thing was just an example right because if you can't wavedash at all then you must have the same problem with a few things in brawl. ;)
My joints prohibit me making complicated button inputs quickly. I can wavedash, but very very inconsistently, and only with characters who're easy to wavedash with (Luigi).

Hence I want to host a tournament for the Brawl community, not the Melee community.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Brawl stuff...I got that down already =D

Spacing in melee is wierder honestly, but if you're really good at it, skip to wave-dashing and dash-dancing spacing practice.

Pretty sure you can't do that in PAL anyway. Or maybe you were exactly referring to PAL techchasing (does that REQUIRE wavedashing? I don't even know lol) because i don't recall seeing NTSC use wavedashing much in their grab game.

And the wavedashing thing was just an example right because if you can't wavedash at all then you must have the same problem with a few things in brawl. I mean implementing and using wavedashing properly might not be that easy due to the pace of the game, but doing a single wavedash on command (or after a throw) shouldn't be impossible to learn for you if you can't do it already :p

Oh yea, forget.

PAL techchasing wavedashing helps, but at certain percents in NTSC you NEED to wavedash to make it guaranteed. A lot of people skip it though, and lose their grab WAY too often.

Hence I want to host a tournament for the Brawl community, not the Melee community.
The international community HAS to be better, the US community for melee is great though.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Brawl needs as much support in Europe as it can get. Melee has so many tournaments in Europe and it extremely dominates. I opted for Melee as possible side-event because I am aware of this. But Brawl alone already gets many players as you can see, so do I need Melee to net me more people? I don't think so. I don't want this to turn into a Brawl+Melee-tournament. Maybe, one time, when I've made a few iterations, have a bigger venue or so. Maybe then I will add Melee to my list.
But as of now, I'd rather have Brawl only. Hell, I would even prefer a BlazBlue or Street Fighter IV side-event over a Melee side-event, but I know that's just too far out.

Having half of the people be there to play Melee, and not come for the main event - Brawl - is dumb, and contributes absolutely nothing, especially seeing how much some European Melee players loathe Brawl. I'm actually afraid of some Brawl/Melee-war going on.

Top Bottom