• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dolphin emulator renders brawl in HD

5ive

Smash Champion
Wow, this is amazing. Looks like we'll have to wait until the next smash for HD graphics though.
This would work great for machinamators or even combo videos.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Thats really awesome. Mods, don't lock this because it doesn't talk about getting the iso or the rest, just mentioning about the capabilities of Brawl and what was lost due to the Wii.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
It is so pretty... I just wish Nintendo gave the Wii HD capability.
Or at least an HD model. I can understand that not everyone would want to pay for something with HD capability when they don't have the ability to run HD, but what about those of us who want to play their games in 720 or 1080 resolution?
I shouldn't have to go to a 3rd party company to mod my Wii to give it HD ability, or rely on an emulator on my PC.
Though I will say PC has always been the best as far as looks go in the console wars. You don't have to wait 5 or so years before an upgrade is a reality :p

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
isn't it the same as having a component cable?
EDIT: oh wait, nevermind...

D

Deleted member

so does this dolphin thing accept geckoOS cheats?
because all we need then is a way to get wifi over pc network and we're done ^^

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
I'm sure it could, but I haven't heard of anyone doing both. it seems pretty straight forward if you could somehow get the HBC on the emulator. Heck, with an emulator there really should be a shorter way to do it but I am not aware of such a thing yet. I'm sure there are lots of people interested in getting wifi up, and there are people here (at the smash boards) trying to find a way to run their own wi-fi servers with regular wiis, it might be easier for them to try to work with this emulator and everyone would benefit.

Imagine hosting our own games on fast servers in HD.

too much awesome to imagine but it's still a ways away. Still, a guy can dream. Also there is nothing illegal here, you can run the emulator off a disk in your drive, and also you can back up your own disk onto your hard drive if you want to do it that way but you don't have to break the law to use it, you can use your version of brawl to take advantage of this.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I wish! even with my monster cable component cable and up-scaling to 1080p on my HDTV, it looks nothing compared to natively rendering the game models in HD, plus adding additional high level filtering.
*Points and laughs*

Seeing as how my computer will most likely be able to run this at near-max settings, I'm thrilled.

Sukai

Smash Champion
Fascinating, but this just as well could have gone in the General Discussion, as this in no way pertains to hacking the game.

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
So can this emulated Brawl find some way to play replays from outside sources? As in, put replays on an SD card and then play them on Dolphin?

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I just hope that they get Dolphin emulating NTSC soon. Shame it only runs PAL at the moment.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
Oh I knew what I was getting into when I bought it, but it's simply the best wii component cable out there. For my stock HDMI cables and such I usually get from monoprice, blue jean cable, or dvigear. I just didn't have a choice in this instance, because those guys don't sell Wii cables.

Fascinating, but this just as well could have gone in the General Discussion, as this in no way pertains to hacking the game.
I don't think so,

1. I don't think it would make the same impact there
2. some people here don't read general at all
3. emulating brawl seems to be a workshop project in and of itself and I'm sure there are many ways that this and other projects could form something of a perfect storm for brawl.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
well, I have a nintendo licensed component cable myself...it was at a pretty good price as well...

still, I see it's nothing compared to this, and it just add more disappointment towards nintendo...the wii has a lot of potential, but nintendo seems to only focus on one thing...the casual market...they dont look for amazing graphic games...usually it means the game is complicated...

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
the component cable for gc was good, but they could have gone a step further with a digital audio solution and a true digital video with something like dvi and scart at the time (HDMI wasn't really big back then)

The Wii still does have a lot of potential, but you are right, it's sad that they didn't go that little extra mile.

the fact that the gamecube put out a digital signal and the wii is actually incapable of this is sad. But they still have great games, and via dolphin we get the best of both worlds!

Zodac

Smash Journeyman
This is illegal, you know.
no it isn't.

"Imagine playing brawl+ like this on a big HD screen!"

imagine the un-playable lag >_>

i get 30 FPS during gameplay on a 1.8 dual core, 2 gig ram, nvidia gforce 7900gs. This is in 640X480 and with melee (which should be way faster), brawl HD would take a beast of a machine.

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
I just got this. The video quality's amazing.

Does anyone here know how to get SD card files on Dolphin? Such as Homebrew or perhaps even just replay files?

D

Deleted member

I just got this. The video quality's amazing.

Does anyone here know how to get SD card files on Dolphin? Such as Homebrew or perhaps even just replay files?
no, but if someone finds out, that would mean everybody could svae high quality replay without cam or capture card :D

vaderseven

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys.

This could one day be a pretty big deal for people that love brawl.

First off, Brawl PAL so far runs very well on this if you have a nice machine. I can run brawl PAL (I went and bought a used PAL copy just so I could do this [d/l isos are illegal dont do it]) at 1650 x 1080 with 16xAA and AF on ect ect with 50 FPS (which is what the PAL version runs at).

One thing that is really nice about brawl, when not playing wifi mode (ie playing a normal brawl) the game will just drop frames if the hardware lags for any reason. That means that if there is an FPS dip to say 45 frames per second for 1 second you will not see any lag. The game will just skip 5 frames at the appropriate moments (notable that it should skip 5 frames in a row for this unless it trully hung up for 5 straight frames, it would skip any single frame that got hung up). This means lag free play even if a slight dip happens.

Second nice thing, it looks gorgeous. It really outlines how the wii hardware and drivers hold back the software.

Third thing, and to me this is the one that makes this a possible big deal, we have the possibility of playing online without wifi through this. Already you can play regular brawl mode with another person online by syncing the games up (the software thinks you are both using the same hardware) and play a real lag free brawl this way. Right now its hard to find a good connection (not related to the dolphin as much as the server that has been used so far) but its easily foreseeable that hamachi or other lan emulators could be an easy way to play online brawl with friends. This way of online playing takes input lag out of the picture.

Im getting a 42 inch Plasma here in a week and Ill be able evaluate how well this runs at 1920x1080 (1080p) when it arrives.

Just for reference my hardware is as follows -
E8400 Core2Duo @ 4.00ghz
4 gigs 1066mhz DDR2
9800 GT 1GB NVIDIA card
500 GB 7200 RPM HD

My system is nice but not cutting edge or anything like that. The true limiting factor it seems is your CPU as the CPU has to emulate all the hardware of the wii. A fast dual core (3.0 - 4.0 ghz) seems to be key to getting fast seamless framerates.

If the online gets really good Im gonna have to say that it will be so much better than wifi as to make it obsolete instantly.

vaderseven

Smash Apprentice
idk if this question is safe or not, if not ignore it

will the dolphin emulator load and play the actual game disc(a real store bought copy of brawl) using the driver?

Yes. If you have a DVD drive that can read wii games (apperently LG ones will do it for the most part) AND you have the PAL version of brawl as the NTSC version doesnt work yet.

The NTSC version will probably work soon as they only got brawl PAL working a few weeks ago.

Me_Aludes

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys.

This could one day be a pretty big deal for people that love brawl.

First off, Brawl PAL so far runs very well on this if you have a nice machine. I can run brawl PAL (I went and bought a used PAL copy just so I could do this [d/l isos are illegal dont do it]) at 1650 x 1080 with 16xAA and AF on ect ect with 50 FPS (which is what the PAL version runs at).
Brawl PAL can run at both 50 and 60 FPS.

vaderseven

Smash Apprentice
What did you do to change it cuz mine was running at 50 constant.

Is there some kind of V-Sync that assumes a PAL monitor/TV that I can uncheck in some part of dolphin?

It was acting like that at least.

D

Deleted member

he just stated that PAL can also run at 60Hz, I dunno if dolphin works with 60Hz

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
So brawl+ will work at full speed now? How do you put in the codes?

Edit: Nvm, i see Paprika's post now.

Top Bottom