• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donate for melee at evo 2013!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Creating a donation pool is a dirty tacitc, sure.

Know what also is dirty? Being secretive about how much is being donated so all communities (not just Smash) will continue donating until the end because there might still be a chance (even if there is none).

If you are asking for donations people deserve to know everything and it should not be done in such a shady way. I've yet to hear* of a charity drive that didn't clearly indicate how much money was being raised.
How about waiting until the end to reveal the sums, with all checks and balances, and all things to make them accountable and detectable if fraud was found?
Oh, and not only is this a 'charity drive' it is also a competition between the fighting game communities, a friendly competition mind you.

Actually, there are very legitmate concerns to keep the donations private.

Imagine you are the MLP community hoping to get your game into evo. You look at the polls, and lo, those guys over at the Smash Brothers community already raised 10K in 3 days. Damn, I guess there's no point in us MLP players even trying anymore.

And guess who the real loser is? Breast Cancer.
-JPOBS

Battlecow

Play to Win
Some of y'all are waxing a little melodramatic

If I might make a point without prog loathing me, melee at Evo was not an incredible success; they did best of one for pools and semis. That's unacceptable in a serious tournament.

That said, I think a decision needs to be made one way or another. I'll donate...some if the consensus is pro-donation. Not as much as I would if the amounts were public or if the EVO staff had a better history with smash.

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
Some of y'all are waxing a little melodramatic

If I might make a point without prog loathing me, melee at Evo was not an incredible success; they did best of one for pools and semis. That's unacceptable in a serious tournament.

That said, I think a decision needs to be made one way or another. I'll donate...some if the consensus is pro-donation. Not as much as I would if the amounts were public or if the EVO staff had a better history with smash.
This is a fair stance.

The whole donation holding account idea is petty nonsense.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Creating a donation pool is a dirty tacitc, sure.

Know what also is dirty? Being secretive about how much is being donated so all communities (not just Smash) will continue donating until the end because there might still be a chance (even if there is none).

If you are asking for donations people deserve to know everything and it should not be done in such a shady way. I've yet to here of a charity drive that didn't clearly indicate how much money was being raised.
You haven't looked at all sides. You want to see it simply so you could know how much to put in and not waste your money. Other communities would know too, we'd end up in a bidding war for a videogame, a bidding war where you have to say goodbye to your money to bid. there's no good way to do this...other than making it 5$ to vote and not accepting votes from the same credit card name holder. They didn't do that though so oh well.

We're not the only community having these second thoughts though, GG community said they should pool their money and have their own tournament too, PSAS community is too small right now to put money in and travel. There are other communities to worry about but we can't see what they've donated so either put up an amount you won't miss or put in no amount and stop saying the same stuff over and over and over and over again.

Someone should just link prog's video because it goes over the basics pros and cons and saves space.

Sox

Smash Journeyman
me and my family make a large donation every year to cancer prevention funds, and I will likely be choosing this one this year. However, I would like to know the reasoning as to why we can not see a list of donations for every game. It may have already been addressed, but there are so many posts in this thread in such a short time, I haven't been able to read them. Also, people do not seem to hate smash or operate on the sole purpose of preventing it from being an event, something i always thought was an issue; so that's good. I'll let everybody know when I donate, and what my donation amount is in hopes of inspiring people who have been hurt by cancer and those who love melee to contribute to the cause.
Lastly, has Mr. Wizard or whoever else commented on the subject at all? all i have seen are the donation links posted. I'd be interested in hearing what he/they have to say

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
@sox cause it's hype for the reveal which is important to them
-it avoids a bidding war
-it avoids people giving up because someone else raised more money
-it gets more people donating because they're unsure but back to avoiding a bidding war it saves a lot for the losers and winners if two communities just keep putting up and then one waits until the last day to top them both and people say it's unfair.

Everything will be revealed...afterwards.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
They should be more forthcoming with the digits. If guilty gear had won the Pole I doubt we'd be having this conversation. Still gonna donate, if we do lose nobodys gonna be able blame me.

:phone:

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
They should be more forthcoming with the digits. If guilty gear had won the Pole I doubt we'd be having this conversation. Still gonna donate, if we do lose nobodys gonna be able blame me.

If Guilty Gear had a sizable enough scene to that they wouldn't have needed to worry about a facebook poll in the first place.

World

Smash Cadet
Looking forward to evo and hopefully melee will be a part of it.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Too much freaking out.

There are two lines of argument being conflated and it's ruining the thread.

One hand you got the holier-than-thou people who want to make others feel bad because there's a charity involved and they want Smashers to at least appear virtuous for pr reasons.

Other hand you have people arguing strategy for the pros and cons of how to get Melee into Evo and if it has a decent chance.

Better for the thread to continue with the second line of reasoning like rational thinkers rather than some emotional moral crusade.

thechunkylover

Smash Apprentice
this is why it's hard to take you seriously.
if your not a smash bro then y do u even have a account here go back to srk you srk marvl minion

One hand you got the holier-than-thou people who want to make others feel bad because there's a charity involved and they want Smashers to at least appear virtuous for pr reasons.

Other hand you have
Fixed!

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
God, no one said the donations had to be big. If you're upset at the prospect of "losing" $10 if Melee doesn't get in then... yeah.

Accusing EVO of various conspiracies isn't productive at all. If you want to see Smash at EVO, then donate, it's that simple. If you don't care, then don't donate.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
God, no one said the donations had to be big. If you're upset at the prospect of "losing" $10 if Melee doesn't get in then... yeah.
I agree, $10 isn't the end of the world. Unless you made a large donation (like me) you really have nothing to worry about.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Donated.

Y'all are *****es, who vote on a facebook poll and then jump ship when money's on the line. Money for charity, no less. But it's ok, because you justify it with ******** conspiracies about "omg big biznes" "tax brekz" and "evo wil change teh game nyway bcus they hate us", as well as the concept of breast cancer charity being a now unworthy cause.

Like, wow.

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
Too much freaking out.

There are two lines of argument being conflated and it's ruining the thread.

Other hand you have people arguing strategy for the pros and cons of how to get Melee into Evo and if it has a decent chance.

Better for the thread to continue with the second line of reasoning like rational thinkers rather than some emotional moral crusade.
Thats not why, we just think you're ******** for not donating for the reasons you're stating.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
I deleted my troll posts because people took them seriously.

You don't look a gift horse in the mouth. No matter how you feel about the FGC, when you talk about exposure, this is the most that we've been offered and are attempting to squander. Requesting money back if we don't win? From a charity? Are you serious?

It has been stated that we would use our ruleset and guidelines. Melee, Brawl, Smash in general is being given an opportunity that we haven't had in years...and we are sitting around in the FBI basement with Gillian Anderson telling everyone that the truth is out there? The truth is here.

You care about this game? You don't dissuade people from participating in this drive. In my video, I said our efforts can be used to improve our own community. I was referring to things like my production initiative, etc. Things that can be shown on streams to garner interest and educate viewers. You know who has a big stream and a lot of viewers? EVO. You know how fantastic it would be to highlight Samox's work on the documentary? Or have a video explaining Melee and standard fighting game mechanics that overlap?

Anyway...I'll talk about this more tonight on the podcast, but I'm really disheartened. I've stuck my neck out time and time for the smash community, I did it on Twitter all day today. Start searching for my replacement for the guillotine, because I've lost my cool but not looking to lose my head.

There's talk of transparency issues which are legitimate concerns. However, you're talking about one of the longest running and most successful tournament series in all of gaming. You think that something with so much history, such a large fan base, etc. would risk their good name?

UlyssesTheTrojan

Smash Apprentice
I think what it boils down to is...just donate. If you want to see melee get more exposure than it has had in years at the largest fighting game tournament there is donate however much you are comfortable "losing", (donating to breast cancer research) if melee doesn't get in.

iffy525

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one that's gonna be honest and say he just doesn't want to pay to enter?
Haha yeah, if this was in the summer I probably would donate, but my funds are sooo tight right now.

People Redact have been willing to give large sums of money just to get a Smash player from Point A to Point B. I don't think this is too much of a stretch.
FTFY

[joke]

Scar

#HarveyDent
@prog IMO even discussing absurd opinions gives them legitimacy. of course we are a community, and we are the sum of our parts. But there is a distinction between individual opinions and our collective responses to those opinions as a community.

I'd say the latter is significantly more powerful, and if we take trolls seriously it gives legitimacy to their positions. I think that our community is actually super passionate and really legit, and most of the insane trolls are outliers. So IMO community leaders should be lifting up the opinions that are representative of "the community" and repudiating those that are not representative.

tl;dr my response to those comments are lol who are you people

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
@prog IMO even discussing absurd opinions gives them legitimacy. of course we are a community, and we are the sum of our parts. But there is a distinction between individual opinions and our collective responses to those opinions as a community.

I'd say the latter is significantly more powerful, and if we take trolls seriously it gives legitimacy to their positions. I think that our community is actually super passionate and really legit, and most of the insane trolls are outliers. So IMO community leaders should be lifting up the opinions that are representative of "the community" and repudiating those that are not representative.

tl;dr my response to those comments are lol who are you people
Agreed, however, those absurd opinions are the ones that I have to backpedal from.

smopup

Smash Journeyman
I deleted my troll posts because people took them seriously.

You don't look a gift horse in the mouth. No matter how you feel about the FGC, when you talk about exposure, this is the most that we've been offered and are attempting to squander. Requesting money back if we don't win? From a charity? Are you serious?

It has been stated that we would use our ruleset and guidelines. Melee, Brawl, Smash in general is being given an opportunity that we haven't had in years...and we are sitting around in the FBI basement with Gillian Anderson telling everyone that the truth is out there? The truth is here.

You care about this game? You don't dissuade people from participating in this drive. In my video, I said our efforts can be used to improve our own community. I was referring to things like my production initiative, etc. Things that can be shown on streams to garner interest and educate viewers. You know who has a big stream and a lot of viewers? EVO. You know how fantastic it would be to highlight Samox's work on the documentary? Or have a video explaining Melee and standard fighting game mechanics that overlap?

Anyway...I'll talk about this more tonight on the podcast, but I'm really disheartened. I've stuck my neck out time and time for the smash community, I did it on Twitter all day today. Start searching for my replacement for the guillotine, because I've lost my cool but not looking to lose my head.

There's talk of transparency issues which are legitimate concerns. However, you're talking about one of the longest running and most successful tournament series in all of gaming. You think that something with so much history, such a large fan base, etc. would risk their good name?
prog with the truth. Great post.

If only the community was as enthusiastic towards this opportunity as it was towards the Facebook poll. Anyway, I've donated $5. I would be ecstatic if Melee made it to EVO.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion

lol playing the victim cause no one likes smash, go to a GG site and they play the victim cause the FGC doesn't understand them, go to a virtua fighter site and you get the same thing...don't even want to get started on Soul Calibur. the only difference is they stick to SRK more than we do...also we get hated on more than they do because DI and knockback and stuff that doesn't seem fightery to them but still, if they went ahead with the facebook poll results everyone would rage.

There was no promise the poll meant your in, you could vote multiple times, people who didn't care about watching or going or were trolls could vote and thus they put an entry fee on voting to make sure people who voted cared. Their only downfall was making it so any amount of money could be donated, it should have been a set amount and see who has the biggest community that cares.

No, they donated all their CRTs to charity.
lol Do you really think the largest tournament organization wouldn't be able to purchase 30 CRTs? AFAIK one game they have on the line up is old as **** and requires them too.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
I'm sure they could if they wanted to, however it would probably cost more than they would make off of entry fees from Melee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom