• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donkey Kong Teams Thread - Current Discussion: Marth (Last Update 9/23/10)

D0N

Smash Ace
Hmm... Any specific strats? What should Snake be doing? What should DK be doing? Am I correct in assuming its really just 2 powerhouses sharing stock (Reliable kill set ups included)? How exactly can Snake anti-air camp in teams?

I think grenades wont help too much in teams and snake is better off attacking. Grenades would add chaos and if DK is in the wrong place its not to hard for him to get tossed around by everyone. While watching m2k+ally @ evo (match one), I did not see one grenade. Yea its MK+Snake, but thats my best back-up statement for now.

I guess ill do a summary and move on since nobody seems to have much to say. Last call for input (12-24 hours before update unless more discussion happens... somehow). Next will be something gimmicky

blakinola

Constantly Delicious
Snake's got a better grab than dk imo and snake should attack while DK stock tanks. Together they are a force on the ground and there are many possibilities in which grabs could lead to Fsmashes of the highest degree. Or headbutt to RPG. You'd better be up in the air against these two!

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
I think grenades wont help too much in teams and snake is better off attacking. Grenades would add chaos and if DK is in the wrong place its not to hard for him to get tossed around by everyone. While watching m2k+ally @ evo (match one), I did not see one grenade. Yea its MK+Snake, but thats my best back-up statement for now.
i think that even helps the no grenades point in the fact that MK has a smaller hitbox than DK and has an easier time avoiding grenade blasts, its much harder for DK to do.

also this has been bothering me for too long. what the hell does iirc stand for?

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
srsly.
why are grenades so broken?
why do they do 4% damage when they bounce off you?
why? why doesnt the blast zone have a sourspot?
why sakurai? why?

/grenade ***** fit

D0N

Smash Ace
Yea Rag, why would you say grenades are broken in teams?

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Because trading damage is good. Plus they don't get in your way too bad if the snake is smart. Snakes around here are at least.

D0N

Smash Ace
Because trading damage is good. Plus they don't get in your way too bad if the snake is smart. Snakes around here are at least.
Pshh our snakes our better than yours, get that elitist bs out of here... jk, I get the picture.

Even so, snake has to be smart about it AND DK has to know how to work with them or he'll just get blown up enough where it becomes a problem. I think the later is more of a problem, I can imagine it would be mine. Trading a little damage isnt a problem, but getting blown up into a bad position because you didnt understand what your snake partner was doing is.

And then theres that port thing that deals with getting blown up out of grabs, I forgot how it works so someone remind me.

Snake's got a better grab than dk imo and snake should attack while DK stock tanks. Together they are a force on the ground and there are many possibilities in which grabs could lead to Fsmashes of the highest degree. Or headbutt to RPG. You'd better be up in the air against these two!
Should DK tank/play safe? I think it sounds good. Anyone disagree?

Good stages/Bad stages/Team flaws/good vids?

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Every snake I've teamed with has just grenade camped his *** off to prevent approaches against him while stock tanking for me, normally I'm the aggressor. DK is heavy so grenades don't mean as much to him so when trading damage DK is better off. If a grenade does blow you and someone else up that's a prime opportunity for uair.

plus spinning kong to transfer c4s is like 50 damage. Spinning kong to grab cargo jumping uthrow to c4 is like 0 to death almost.

D0N

Smash Ace
If snake throws a grenade at DK while he up-bs offstage, will it blow him up and help save him?

Somebody answer that, and we're moving on to Peach. We need:

-General strats (who should do what)
-pros and cons
-team combos
-good stages
-bad stages
-ratings
-vids (good mk or snake vids would be nice too)

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
peach is a very good teammate, she racks up damage very fast and you can finish very early. her dair can combo into itself and everything else she has including grabs. peach solves the main weakness in DK (the inability to deal with characters at low %) and DK solves a problem with peach (inability to kill effectively and early). they may not have sweet team combos but they compliment each other just as well as snake compliments MK.

downsides to this team.

peach can not deam with MK at all. tornado absolutely wrecks her and juggles you like crazy.

good stages

MANSION!!!!
JAPES!!!!
BRINSTAR!!!!

8/10 or 9/10

I wish I could have teamed with praxis at genesis

-ripple

blakinola

Constantly Delicious
If snake throws a grenade at DK while he up-bs offstage, will it blow him up and help save him?

Somebody answer that, and we're moving on to Peach. We need:

-pros and cons
-team combos
-good stages
-bad stages
-ratings
-vids (good mk or snake vids would be nice too)
I feel DK can go with ______ anywhere that DK could normally go. So no Cruise, Parasite Queen stage. DK shines the most at YOSHI'S, Delfino (walkoff bthrows and cargo throws near the sides and water so you can be Michael Phelps) and FD so he has all the room in the world to bless the rains down in Africa.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
peach is a very good teammate, she racks up damage very fast and you can finish very early. her dair can combo into itself and everything else she has including grabs. peach solves the main weakness in DK (the inability to deal with characters at low %) and DK solves a problem with peach (inability to kill effectively and early). they may not have sweet team combos but they compliment each other just as well as snake compliments MK.

downsides to this team.

peach can not deam with MK at all. tornado absolutely wrecks her and juggles you like crazy.

good stages

MANSION!!!!
JAPES!!!!
BRINSTAR!!!!

8/10 or 9/10

I wish I could have teamed with praxis at genesis

-ripple
<3 we need to team sometime.

Also, we've been finding a bunch of really gay ways to beat tornado with Peach, this problem might be solved surprisingly soon :o

Yeah Peach and DK in theory seem to complement each other perfectly. Each covers the other's weaknesses, and Peach can run cover for DK pretty well. As long as there isn't a tornado. >_<

daisho

Smash Lord
Seems like this team would bepretty good but a MK who can use the nado right would utterly destroy it. /end of pointing out the obvious.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Does toad beat the tornado? I think it would be easier to use toad in doubles vs the tornado since MK doesn't have as much free space and an attack from anyone will set it off.

Peach floating while you down b is pretty cool too.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i'm teaming w/ Gea (peach) for the latest HOBO. 18?(i think)

hopefully it works out ok. i'm just worried about gay teams with wario, gw, mk, etc.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Try out down b spam while the peach floats above them dairing, or float cancel double footstooling. That would be rude.

D0N

Smash Ace
For the most part, im gonna qoute Ripple for a summary using a 8/10 rating. other than that I need help seeing if these work::

1) DK cargo d-throw > Peach jab > DK u-smash (assume partner is too far to interfere, but even so it shouldn't take that long to do)

2) Peach up-throw > DK u-air (u-smash if on platform)

3) can peach throw a turnip at DK's up-b offstage to help his recovery? I dont know if it will clash or not.

D0N

Smash Ace
Cool, thanks AK

Nobody's gonna comment on my combo thoughts? Fine, last time I contribute any combo ideas.

Moving on to the little kong... same idea...

-pros and cons
-team combos
-good stages
-bad stages
-ratings
-vids

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
DK diddy get's you all the kill setups you need. But beware of the naners, they troll hard.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I honestly think diddy will hinder your teams game more than help it. Both of you controlling the ground is good but I don't think bananas are the way to go.

7/10

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
I honestly think diddy will hinder your teams game more than help it. Both of you controlling the ground is good but I don't think bananas are the way to go.

7/10
QFT

it seems like they both get in each others ways rather than help each other out.

i think as a general rule, characters that pull items that stay on stage even after thrown (Snake, ROB, Diddy) hinder DK more than help him just because DKs huge and he has to worry about avoiding the items as well as avoiding enemy attacks, and DK is already a big enough target, he doesnt need a teammate putting a potential hazard on the stage.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
They can get annoying but with a smart team mate it helps a lot. Items like that limit your opponents options which helps you land crucial moves.

D0N

Smash Ace
A smart teamate is the answer to all problems (team with M2K), but it gives your partner too much credit and doesnt really say what you should be doing aside from waiting for a setup. I don't doubt you have good ideas, but thats not a good argument.

Generally, bananas can limit your oppenents options, but they can limit yours too. Also, DK is not the best at dealing with bananas and other characters, who may be on the opposing team, handle them better. Assuming your partner can space out the bananas to not get in DKs way AND hinder the other 2 players movement seems a bit too optimistic unless theres a big enough skill gap between the teams.

Id say 6 or 7/10.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
My partner just knows how I play so I don't get bothered by bananas much, I think they hurt the other team way more than you. I might trip on a banana once or twice a match teaming with DUB. That's an acceptable amount I think. You have to realize that the other team is going to be tripping over them a hell of a lot more than you are. It also helps that I have a lot of experience vs diddy so I'm used to working around bananas. With good teamwork you can land free moves all dai.

D0N

Smash Ace
Yea the other team should be tripping more since diddy is the main one controlling them and he's not gonna throw them at you, but still, it just seems like you have to work extra or have really good chemestry for things to work out.

1) Your partner has to know how you play and work around you. Its not like with snake how if he blows you up (in this case puts a banana in your way), he'll probly blow someone else up too.
2) You have to know how to work around bananas and what you can/can't do when they are around.
3) You get kill setups when you learn to work with them.

I guess the main question would be is it really worth learning to deal with the bananas? Does it make the team that good?

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I think the learning curve for a DK diddy team is substantial but definitely pays off. It's not just kill setups but team combos or almost anything.

D0N

Smash Ace
Alright sounds good Rag. Nobody said it but im assuming Diddy racks damage while DK kills/gimps is the general idea unless told otherwise.

On a side note I have team matches I want critiqued when I get them uploaded.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
D0N I'll critique those just let me know when you get them up.

Oh yeah something I forgot to mention earlier. I like this team a lot because I get to play by the ledge a lot. Diddy has quick, ranged, high priority stage control with bananas so it's easy for him to trip people and just throw them offstage. After that just grab the ledge with DK and ledge drop bairs or up b stall. DK is ridiculous in the zone offstage horizontal to the ledge out to the magnifying glass, so you'll definitely be getting gimps or at least racking up MASSIVE DAMAGE. lol

D0N

Smash Ace
Rag The matches are in the critique thread now

Any disadvantages with this team? I imagine they wouldnt do so well against spacies.

And do diddy's throws have any good followups?

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
DK + diddy wouldn't do well vs spacies? I beg to differ. At herb 2 DUB and I beat the best space animal team there.

I'll take a look at those matches as soon as I get the chance.

Diddy's throws don't necessarily have good followups but allow for great stage control.

D0N

Smash Ace
I mean I could be wrong about the spacies thing, it was just a guess. I never played with a diddy and havent really worked much with teams lol. ill get a write up done soon.

roces9

Smash Rookie
Pardon my ignorance, long time lurker looking to get into doubles with someone I friendly with a lot.

How much less effective would the team be if Diddy limited his banana use? I personally feel that that they wouldn't be a huge problem for big fat DK with a little coordination and more conservative use by Diddy. Would that limit Diddy's offense that much?

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Bananas are extremely broken. I wouldn't say limit Diddy's use of them but try to use them smarter. You just have to watch out for your teammate always.

Tujex

Smash Ace
Diddy's nanners make DK even more a monster. He has a good glide toss, and can setup kills very easily (Glide Toss -> Fsmash= erection).

I prefer my Diddy partners to spam more bananas, and not worry about me slipping up on them. You just have to be wary of their placement when moving around, and learn to use them help your gameplay as well.

ook

Smash Lord
I teamed with a diddy a while ago, we did pretty good. The team seemed to work really well.

If Diddy throws a banana at someone and they trip, it sets them up for a good punch.

Top Bottom