• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donkey Kong's Appearance

Does Donkey Kong's appearance in SSB4 matter?

• Total voters

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I personally really like the way Donkey Kong looks in the game. I don't really see what the problem is. It's a definite improvement from the Brawl model, I think.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
People complain too much. It definitely looks better than his brawl model which was already good, though I will say that his tropical freeze model looks better.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He looks good. It's a slight upgrade from his Brawl model, which was a HUGE step ahead of his Melee design. Can't see why it'd be dissapointing to fans. He looks pretty damn awesome.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
What!? Are they serious? DK's fur looks the best it has ever been in all my years playing games.
The only thing that really stands out it is the extreme bloom on the skin

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
In my opinion, DK's fur in Tropical Freeze looks slightly better during gameplay, but in renders, I vastly prefer SSB4 DK's fur, because the render in Tropical Freeze makes him look like some sort of plush mascot costume.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Can't pick between the designs. They're both great. But I really liked Returns 1's design and Brawl's DK design as well.

Gabe Hartzog

Smash Apprentice
I do prefer the flowing fur he has in Tropical Freeze, but he looks great in the renders for ssb4. I am honestly more interested in how they tweaked him.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Kensuke Tanabe said something about DKs Fur at 1:46

Tropical Freeze its a different game but maybe the fur in this game would be elevate the costs of developmente too, well its just my opinion.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I voted yes, but I thought you meant that would it matter whether or not he would appear in the game. Is there a way I can change my answer?

Tenguman

Smash Rookie
instead of placing concern on things that matter like the roster and game mechanics, people are disappointed by donkey kong; a character who is hardly used, appearance? i don't even know what to say :facepalm:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
instead of placing concern on things that matter like the roster and game mechanics, people are disappointed by donkey kong; a character who is hardly used, appearance? i don't even know what to say :facepalm:
You ever once think that maybe, just maybe people who are concerned with the way their favorite character is depicted might be concerned about the roster and gameplay as well? Get out of this topic and let people talk about what ever concerns them.

Morbi

Scavenger
I must have missed this thread. I actually agree with the article to an extent, I think that Donkey Kong looks bad. Especially on the 3DS. I wouldn't necessarily assert that it matters to a significant degree. It just isn't what I expected.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think DK looks absolutely fine in the Wii U version. It's not as impressive as the Tropical Freeze model, but in general, the Smash Bros model never looks as clean as the model from a character's most recent game (assuming they had one). This game seems to be improving in this aspect though. The only characters who I think look worse than their latest official model in this game are DK, Sonic, Bowser, and possibly Toon Link (but only due to the lack of cel-shading). And even the ones I mentioned don't look BAD, in fact, they look awesome. DK's model only looks worse than the Tropical Freeze model because Tropical Freeze put a great emphasis on his fur detail, because he's the main playable character. In Smash Bros, he stars alongside 20+ characters, and to put those fur physics and detail on DK here would take way too much time. Not to mention that Smash Bros is a much more hectic game than Tropical Freeze, and you won't really be standing still or observing DK as much as you might in Tropical Freeze, so he really doesn't need that extra detail.

The 3DS model for him basically looks the same as the Brawl model, though I do think the outline clashes with his realistic texture style. If the outline adjuster works for characters individually and not just as a general rule, then I'll probably turn it off or make it very thin on DK.

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
Did anyone else notice that they changed Donkey Kong's mouth?

This is how his mouth looked before and how it's looked throughout the other Smash Brothers titles:

And this is how it looks now:

I gotta be honest; I'm not liking it one it bit. It sounds like nitpicking, but his mouth just makes him look like a grumpy pervert to me now. I don't understand why they felt the need to change it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Did anyone else notice that they changed Donkey Kong's mouth?

This is how his mouth looked before and how it's looked throughout the other Smash Brothers titles:

And this is how it looks now:

I gotta be honest; I'm not liking it one it bit. It sounds like nitpicking, but his mouth just makes him look like a grumpy pervert to me now. I don't understand why they felt the need to change it.
I don't think they changed it, I think it's just in the middle of some kind of animation.

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
I don't think they changed it, I think it's just in the middle of some kind of animation.
I thought so too at first until I watched the direct again. You'll see him always doing it now.

Go to the 30:47 mark, and after he headbutts Little Mac, you'll him standing still, and his mouth is still curved like that.

Last edited:

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
he looks more cartoonish instead of a badass. thats probably because of their new light hearted artstyle

he doesnt look bad. but i like his brawl look better. hes the ****ing king of the jungle. i dont want him to be so goofy

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Has DK ever not been goofy?

I don't like his Smash look, his lower body is a bit too big for me. I like how stubby they are in the DKC games. That said the fur looks AWFUL, jesus christ. It had to be Tropical Freeze to actually best Jungle Beat when it comes to fur tech.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Pretty much everyone in Brawl looked serious what with its gritty and realistic art style, so I don't really think that's a fair point. This DK model is pretty much identical to his Brawl one anyway, the only differences being that he's much more expressive now and his colors pop out more thanks to the art style.

DK has always been goofy in reality. Even in his own games. Closest thing to a badass DK was Jungle Beat, but he had his silly moments there too.

Last edited:

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
yea like i said, im not too fond of the new cartoony primary color artstyle. i loved brawls. itll look pretty in hd, at least

he was pretty badass in DKC, too. but yea. they go out of their way to show him in a goofy stupid monkey state all the time. i REALLY hope they dont give him his scooby doo/mario kart/DKCR voice and keep the realistic lion noises from brawl. but i doubt they will with the new art direction

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I actually really love the change to the mouth. He always looked too tense with his lips all straight.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
The moment I saw DK in this game I knew something seemed off. It was his face. Something about his lips and jaw structure seems weird.

I study DK's face a lot because I draw him a lot so I noticed this. Also I think the furry part of his head is slightly too large compared to the flesh parts of his head. Look carefully.

Anyway I'd say DK's biggest problems in this game are his facial expressions. See that creepy toothy smile? That ugly eye popping he does when he's hit by a powerful attack? Yeah it's all pretty bad.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Eye popping is just as cool as it was in Donkey Kong Country. His toothy grin is just as nice as it ever was in the 80's.

The thing that bothers me most is his skin and fur textures. Beyond that he looks good, just not Tropical Freeze or jungle beat good.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
You know, I think I'm bothered by this DK more than I should be.

Granted, I didn't mind him in Brawl due to the gritty art style, but here he stands out like a sore thumb. He's just too big and bulky for my liking, particularly his lower body. His arms also appear too long in proportion. The head is probably the worst, but I can't pinpoint why. It's too...big? Maybe. I don't like it!

I'd much prefer his Jungle Beat and his DKCR/TF design. I love the modern, cartoony look of this particular DK.

And that's not touching the biggest problem of it all: The FUR. UGH

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
lol I know what you mean, but for all intents and purposes, Donkey Kong is Donkey Kong. Teeth on young Cranky is no different than teeth on current Donkey.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Jt gives off a bad image though. This Donkey Kong shouldn't be seen as a villain. Unfortunately we have those damned Mario vs DK games that are totally out of character.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Didn't both Smash 64 and Melee show DK's teeth? Does it really matter that he has a "bad" image? He likes to take the ladies as much as his grand dad did. Seriously though is that a thing among hardcore DK fans? I never thought twice about his actions in those games.

I like shots of DK with and without teeth. I don't think there should be either/or but just as it is now, both. The old Rare designs have their charm but I always thought is was a little odd Funky had his teeth showing many times and DK never. They are literally the exact same design except one has clothes.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
The first Mario vs DK had DK just wanting to get what he wants, which are mini Mario toys. He ended up stealing them. It's not totally out of character aside from the fact he wanted toys, since DK always just does what he wants.

DK is never really a good guy, not even his own games when you think about it. DK in DKC1 and DKCR just wanted to get back his stolen bananas (was it ever explained why Kremlings stole bananas anyway? At least it was the source of energy for Tikis) , and in Tropical Freeze switch the bananas with a whole island. Heck in Tropical Freeze he beat up other inhabitants of other islands for no real reason. And then you have Jungle Beat where he beat up EVERYONE just to be king, it's in the name.

Man, DK is a douche.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
What are you talking about? The way you are describing his his actions could be applied to any character. Hey maybe Kirby is a cold blooded murderer?

DK is clearly beating up bad guys who want nothing more than to attack him and his friends. In the Country series DK doesn't take what he wants, he takes back what is HIS.

Besides does this look like a douche to you?

Annex

Smash Ace
I'm a little disappointed too, but I think I'm just spoiled by TF's design.
Probably the best he's ever been in that game.

Also DK isn't a hero or a villain. He's just a dude who does ****.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I'm actually shocked that they made an article out of it on that site, pretending that a few unpleasable fans not liking how something looks is news worthy.

Sxips

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dark_Dino
Switch FC
SW-8329-8819-7281
The first Mario vs DK had DK just wanting to get what he wants, which are mini Mario toys. He ended up stealing them. It's not totally out of character aside from the fact he wanted toys, since DK always just does what he wants.

DK is never really a good guy, not even his own games when you think about it. DK in DKC1 and DKCR just wanted to get back his stolen bananas (was it ever explained why Kremlings stole bananas anyway? At least it was the source of energy for Tikis) , and in Tropical Freeze switch the bananas with a whole island. Heck in Tropical Freeze he beat up other inhabitants of other islands for no real reason. And then you have Jungle Beat where he beat up EVERYONE just to be king, it's in the name.

Man, DK is a douche.
The Kremlings stole the banana hoard as King K Rool wanted Donkey Kong to starve to death, As K.Rool wanted to takeover DK Island. This information all came from an Interview from a developer at Rareware.

Top Bottom