• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donkey Kong's Back Throw

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
Alright, so by now MOST if not all of you should know that Donkey Kong's Back Throw is a solid kill move at higher percents, and I was testing today so that I could get a more accurate read on what percentage various characters die at. For this test I used Kirby, Mario and Charizard (light, medium and heavy) and threw them off-stage from the left side of Final Destination. I didn't throw them off at the very edge however, as I wanted broader data on when its a consistent kill move from further in the stage. To make sure my testing was consistent with where I placed myself and my opponent, I lined up my opponents back foot to the furthest left blue spire thingy that protrudes out of the back of the blue side of FD (shown in attached file). From here, I stood as close as I could to my victim without moving them and then used back throw. I know that description of my kill spot may seem... Bad, but hopefully I can come up with a better way of explaining it later and I can edit this if there's any confusion

NOTE: Due to the RAGE MODE mechanic and how training mode in this game forces both characters to be at any percentage you set the game to put your opponent at, rage mode may affect the results by 5-10%, if anyone has more info on how much RAGE MODE affects knockback, let me know and I'll adjust the info in the OP accordingly!

Kirby - 128%
Mario - 146%
Charizard - 154%

I also had some replays that I viewed and noticed that I killed the following characters at the following percents, I can't really say for sure how off my positioning was compared to my training mode tests but I figured I'd put these here since they are fairly interesting:

Ganondorf - 136%
Palutena - 105% (no I'm not kidding, it baffles me as well)

So clearly, as you can see, Back Throw can be an extremely useful kill move against basically the entire cast, especially light characters, and its definitely something to keep in mind when on the sides of stages!

I'll do more testing tonight after I get home from hanging out with some friends, and hopefully by the end of the week I'll be able to have this list complete with EVERY character's kill % from the aforementioned kill spot on FD as well as the MINIMUM kill % that you would get if you threw them from the very edge of the stage!

If you have anything to add let me know! I know this is pretty basic and stuff, but I wanna try contributing to Donkey Kong's meta and contribute to these boards as much as I can

Attachments

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
It's really too situational to call it a "kill move." Obviously it kills the earlier of all of his throws, but everything you listed (rage mode, no DI/resistance whatsoever, keeping the move fresh/unstale, and being that close to the ledge, factored in, among other things like blast lines/stage boundaries, etc.) occurring at the same time has about as much chance of happening as the planets aligning during an eclipse.

That said, it doesn't have to be Ness' back throw to still be useful. I like it better for getting them off stage/resetting myself to a neutral position (since it does more damage than his other throws).

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
It's really too situational to call it a "kill move." Obviously it kills the earlier of all of his throws, but everything you listed (rage mode, no DI/resistance whatsoever, keeping the move fresh/unstale, and being that close to the ledge, factored in, among other things like blast lines/stage boundaries, etc.) occurring at the same time has about as much chance of happening as the planets aligning during an eclipse.

That said, it doesn't have to be Ness' back throw to still be useful. I like it better for getting them off stage/resetting myself to a neutral position (since it does more damage than his other throws).
I get at least 3 or 4 Back Throw kills every 20 matches or so, and while that might not seem like much, its enough to keep your eye on, at least in my opinion

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Same could be said for U-tilt, F-air, off-stage Up B, or even Side B shield breaks.

I'm not denying it has possibilities, just that it's something you should expect to always work/be handily available as an option.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
i almost never get a kill with dk's backthrow on its own. It usually leads into what DOES get the kill (lovely meteors....) but the throw itself rarely works for me unless theyre like 200%+.
Still use it the most. Forward throw is just....wat....and downthrow is hard to combo with.

Top Bottom