• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donkey Kong's matchup thread

Returnofthemac

Smash Cadet
This is just my speculation after watching strong bad and eli play and my own MU knowledge. It is in no way concrete and can be pretty biased. That being said I still believe that Dk truly does have a lot of even match ups when played correctly. A basic rule for dk is that he has a harder time against floaty or projectile heavy characters. If anyone else has input or disagreements with my placing, please let me know so we can provide jtm94 with an accurate mu chart.

Attachments

POOB

Smash Journeyman
Hello DK Thread!

Please help me fill this out all, trying to complete it as moderately accurate as possible.

I know some MUs won't be agreed on, if there is enough disagreement they can be left blank and we will ask the character on the other side.

I filled it in based on my moderate knowledge of some characters, but I don't get to face every char a lot.

green: advantageous
light green: slightly advantageous
grey: Even or tbd
yellow: slightly disadvantageous
Orange: disadvantageous
We are currently in the process of this, check back every once in awhile to get info

POOB

Smash Journeyman
Hello DK Thread!

Please help me fill this out all, trying to complete it as moderately accurate as possible.

I know some MUs won't be agreed on, if there is enough disagreement they can be left blank and we will ask the character on the other side.

I filled it in based on my moderate knowledge of some characters, but I don't get to face every char a lot.

green: advantageous
light green: slightly advantageous
grey: Even or tbd
yellow: slightly disadvantageous
Orange: disadvantageous
We are currently in the process of this, check back every once in awhile to get info

jtm94

Smash Lord
Thank you guys for the cooperation, I know MUs may change over time as new tech is discovered and updates are issued, but I am just trying to provide a snapshot of "now"

jtm94

Smash Lord
I Saw that he had a lot, that's why I thanked you guys (:
And I'm a naysayer to Pichu, bah humbug.

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
I am curious as who knows more info on the Dedede matchup?

I feel as if Dedede could easily space DK out but if DK threw out bairs or got the grab it could go either way. No one plays Dedede in my area... Hell, no one even messes around with the character so I am pretty much blank with this MU.... Help if you know it?

But as I think about my knowledge with Dedede (Not a lot) and am going on Dedede's moveset and general knowledge I feel like the MU is practically even, maybe 45:55 in Dedede's favor. DK is fast and can space with Bairs but Dedede can space with Hammer better than DK's bairs.

BertEast

Smash Apprentice
I am curious as who knows more info on the Dedede matchup?

I feel as if Dedede could easily space DK out but if DK threw out bairs or got the grab it could go either way. No one plays Dedede in my area... Hell, no one even messes around with the character so I am pretty much blank with this MU.... Help if you know it?

But as I think about my knowledge with Dedede (Not a lot) and am going on Dedede's moveset and general knowledge I feel like the MU is practically even, maybe 45:55 in Dedede's favor. DK is fast and can space with Bairs but Dedede can space with Hammer better than DK's bairs.
Pretty much how It goes. Use your superior movement and play the platform game so that he will mess up. Then you can get a grab

Planet Piss

Smash Journeyman
VS. Dedede:
1. Waddle Dee spam is defeated by WD OOS. Get in there with wavedashes and dtilt/shieldgrab him when he leans in with a minion throw. Same goes for his ftilt.
2. Dedede is almost completely unsafe on shield. Run into one of his moves, shield, and grab. Combos should be a free 60%.
3. Use jabs and up+b strong hit for shield pressure; Dedede loves to shield grab and it won't always work.

Dedede may be able to space out DK but DK can easily get in and punish him in ways he can't do to you. If you get a lead then run away from him and watch him put himself into a bad situation because he's slow and can't really combo very well.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
DDD definitely beats DK. Fly agrees with me on that one. DDD wins neutral/edgeguarding and has a comparable punish game.

Last edited:

BertEast

Smash Apprentice
DDD definitely beats DK. Fly agrees with me on that one. DDD wins neutral/edgeguarding and has a comparable punish game.
I have had considerable trouble with this matchup, aside from the above advice, do you know what to do? I have trouble recovering and getting past the hammer

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I most likely wouldn't use DK in that MU so I I'm not sure what to say. Use Bair a lot? <_< DDD wins the ground poking game so it's usually best to take to the air but DK's air poke game is mediocre at beast.

POOB

Smash Journeyman
OK, I'm kinda bored and have nothing to do so I'm gonna post some stuff on the dreaded ivysaur matchup, one of DK's worst matchups according to many. I beat a really good ivysaur in tourney yesterday! I was so happy because it is such a hard matchup, I thought I would need a secondary to win it lol. That's why I'm going to share what I did to try to help other DK's who are struggling v.s. Ivy, and I can reflect on my set as well and maybe learn something myself. I will not write too formally, but it will contain all the facts u need. I just won't take the time to organize it perfectly because it would take awhile.

Anyway, it went to game 3 and all matches were close. I won game 1 on battlefield, lost game 2 on dream land, and won game 3 on skyloft (GREAT counterpick for DK in many matchups by the way). I will go through what I did right and what I did wrong, as well as throw in other things from past experience. So it will basically tell you what to do and what not to do.

Game 1 on battlefield, my overall strategy was to stay back and avoid razor leaf(ivy's side b) until I found an opening. I would run in and out until razor leaf wasn't in the way and I could get a safe approach or punish. Razor leaf isn't much of an issue on battlefield, because you can just jump onto the platform above you and move around that way, trying to bait ivysaur to make a move and then punish.

It's important to be proficient at combos in this matchup since ivysaur will likely outplay you in neutral game, so I will list what worked for me in this matchup combo-wise. I found it relatively easy to combo ivysaur. When I finally got a hit after the patient spacing, it usually resulted in a long string of hits. Down throw works well on ivy at low percents like 0-20 ish, to follow up with another grab, shffl nair, or dash attack depending on DI. (I got him a couple times with down throw around 0%, regrab, cargo back throw quickly to mess up DI, into shffl up air and follow ups after the up air). Don't forget cargo up throw/f throw/b throw to fair, can be done at low % on ivy and still send her far off stage to lead to edgeguarding, which I will talk about next. One thing that helped me a TON, that will now be one of my bread and butter killers on floaty/light characters after being so successful with it yesterday, is standing cargo up throw to full jump/double jump up air when they are above 100%. I killed him three times in our three matches that way, and dream land in game 2 was a great counterpick on his part because it did not work on that stage due to the high ceiling, I should have anticipated that. That combo is good even if it won't kill, just because it is so unbelievably easy and there aren't many other ways to follow up a grab on floaty characters at that %. Lastly, shffl nairs EASILY string into each other at low percents on Ivysaur. Everything listed here is at least 90% of what I did combo wise in that set, and it resulted in me winning.

Edgeguarding Ivysaur is tricky, she appears so vulnerable but there are actually very few options in most scenarios. I will start off by saying I got gimped twice trying to edgeguard Ivysaur by going off stage. So in other words, rather safe than sorry. If you feel any doubt in edgeguarding her offstage in a certain recovery situation, it's better to just do your edgeguarding on stage. They have to get back eventually, so just dash dance around the edge/empty hop etc to bait her coming back on stage while she's on the ledge (just watch out for ledgehop fair or razor leaf). I recommend NOT trying to punish her tether by falling of the edge, since both times I tried that I got gimped by her nair after the hit. She has surprising vertical range on her up b, so she can do an aerial and fall pretty low while still making it back. If Ivysair uses her jump early, they could be close enough AND high enough where there isn't much risk in attempting a back air or two off stage. If this fails, resort to above edgeguarding strategy and wait it out.

For some reason, this may have been due to the opponent's playstyle, but I got an absurd amount of forward air hits after reads in this set. The Ivysaur would retreat when I attempted approaching(which I found out by running toward him/dash dancing/ empty hops) so I got him a couple time with run up and short hop fair/DK punch, anticipating where he WILL be (the end of the stage) instead of where he is. Ivysaur is also very floaty, so I found it easy to read a jump or ledge hop(like the above edgeguarding strategy) with a short hop fair, because Ivy stays in the air for so long when she short hops you can surprise fair them before they land. This whole paragraphs mainly comes down to reads though, it may not be too Ivysaur specific, but it worked in this set. Fair kills so early on light characters which is why it helps to be able to land it, DK punch as well.

Last thing that's EXTREMELY important to know, instead of finding out the hard way, is recovering high will be the better option 95% of the time. I recovered high almost every time. The ONLY time I remember recovering low was in my last stock in game 2, when we both had very high percent and I thought he would predict me recovering high, since it is what I did EVERY other time, but he was smart and reacted instead of predicted. When I was in the middle of up b, he just ran to the edge and down smashed and it was over. I instantly learned my lesson to not recover low against Ivysaur unless for some reason they are not near the ledge after a trade or something. If you recover low, Ivysaur can literally back air you every time you get to the edge with ease, and repeat infinitely until you finally die. So just use your double jump rather early if you get sent far off stage, and use your up B at a time/position where you have multiple options and the opponent will often have to read you in order to hit you. Also, use the up B at a time/position where u don't think they can hit you with back air.

This matchup is somewhere between 70/30 and 60/40 in Ivysaurs favor, in my opinion. Before yesterday, I thought it was 70/30, but I think it could feel like a 60/40 matchup or better with a little Ivy experience. Matchup inexperience makes many characters seem broken in PM, hence the "link is overpowered" johns by many players who lose to him. lol

And that's about it :) hope it helps, it even helped me by writing about it.

Returnofthemac

Smash Cadet
Good stuff POOB also a good match to watch for high level ivy and DK matches is the set at Shuffle V where denti and strongbad faced off. Strongbad ended up taking the set.

POOB

Smash Journeyman
Good stuff POOB also a good match to watch for high level ivy and DK matches is the set at Shuffle V where denti and strongbad faced off. Strongbad ended up taking the set.
Alright thank you, I'll take a look at that. Also thanks for the comments in the chat yesterday xD you witnessed me get wrecked by Darc game 1, then choke a solid 2 stock lead game 2, luckily it was only pools. I saw your "POOB you shoulda had that man" or something like that lol

POOB

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I just looked at my Ivysaur post. Holy **** that's long lmao

Returnofthemac

Smash Cadet
Yeah man, you absolutely had it. You got in your own head and botched two full hop cargo up throws because you missed the second jump. By the way the ledge drop side b against tether recoveries was ridiculous. Such a simple and effective idea.

KingDozie

Smash Journeyman
OK, I'm kinda bored and have nothing to do so I'm gonna post some stuff on the dreaded ivysaur matchup, one of DK's worst matchups according to many. I beat a really good ivysaur in tourney yesterday! I was so happy because it is such a hard matchup, I thought I would need a secondary to win it lol. That's why I'm going to share what I did to try to help other DK's who are struggling v.s. Ivy, and I can reflect on my set as well and maybe learn something myself. I will not write too formally, but it will contain all the facts u need. I just won't take the time to organize it perfectly because it would take awhile.

Anyway, it went to game 3 and all matches were close. I won game 1 on battlefield, lost game 2 on dream land, and won game 3 on skyloft (GREAT counterpick for DK in many matchups by the way). I will go through what I did right and what I did wrong, as well as throw in other things from past experience. So it will basically tell you what to do and what not to do.

Game 1 on battlefield, my overall strategy was to stay back and avoid razor leaf(ivy's side b) until I found an opening. I would run in and out until razor leaf wasn't in the way and I could get a safe approach or punish. Razor leaf isn't much of an issue on battlefield, because you can just jump onto the platform above you and move around that way, trying to bait ivysaur to make a move and then punish.

It's important to be proficient at combos in this matchup since ivysaur will likely outplay you in neutral game, so I will list what worked for me in this matchup combo-wise. I found it relatively easy to combo ivysaur. When I finally got a hit after the patient spacing, it usually resulted in a long string of hits. Down throw works well on ivy at low percents like 0-20 ish, to follow up with another grab, shffl nair, or dash attack depending on DI. (I got him a couple times with down throw around 0%, regrab, cargo back throw quickly to mess up DI, into shffl up air and follow ups after the up air). Don't forget cargo up throw/f throw/b throw to fair, can be done at low % on ivy and still send her far off stage to lead to edgeguarding, which I will talk about next. One thing that helped me a TON, that will now be one of my bread and butter killers on floaty/light characters after being so successful with it yesterday, is standing cargo up throw to full jump/double jump up air when they are above 100%. I killed him three times in our three matches that way, and dream land in game 2 was a great counterpick on his part because it did not work on that stage due to the high ceiling, I should have anticipated that. That combo is good even if it won't kill, just because it is so unbelievably easy and there aren't many other ways to follow up a grab on floaty characters at that %. Lastly, shffl nairs EASILY string into each other at low percents on Ivysaur. Everything listed here is at least 90% of what I did combo wise in that set, and it resulted in me winning.

Edgeguarding Ivysaur is tricky, she appears so vulnerable but there are actually very few options in most scenarios. I will start off by saying I got gimped twice trying to edgeguard Ivysaur by going off stage. So in other words, rather safe than sorry. If you feel any doubt in edgeguarding her offstage in a certain recovery situation, it's better to just do your edgeguarding on stage. They have to get back eventually, so just dash dance around the edge/empty hop etc to bait her coming back on stage while she's on the ledge (just watch out for ledgehop fair or razor leaf). I recommend NOT trying to punish her tether by falling of the edge, since both times I tried that I got gimped by her nair after the hit. She has surprising vertical range on her up b, so she can do an aerial and fall pretty low while still making it back. If Ivysair uses her jump early, they could be close enough AND high enough where there isn't much risk in attempting a back air or two off stage. If this fails, resort to above edgeguarding strategy and wait it out.

For some reason, this may have been due to the opponent's playstyle, but I got an absurd amount of forward air hits after reads in this set. The Ivysaur would retreat when I attempted approaching(which I found out by running toward him/dash dancing/ empty hops) so I got him a couple time with run up and short hop fair/DK punch, anticipating where he WILL be (the end of the stage) instead of where he is. Ivysaur is also very floaty, so I found it easy to read a jump or ledge hop(like the above edgeguarding strategy) with a short hop fair, because Ivy stays in the air for so long when she short hops you can surprise fair them before they land. This whole paragraphs mainly comes down to reads though, it may not be too Ivysaur specific, but it worked in this set. Fair kills so early on light characters which is why it helps to be able to land it, DK punch as well.

Last thing that's EXTREMELY important to know, instead of finding out the hard way, is recovering high will be the better option 95% of the time. I recovered high almost every time. The ONLY time I remember recovering low was in my last stock in game 2, when we both had very high percent and I thought he would predict me recovering high, since it is what I did EVERY other time, but he was smart and reacted instead of predicted. When I was in the middle of up b, he just ran to the edge and down smashed and it was over. I instantly learned my lesson to not recover low against Ivysaur unless for some reason they are not near the ledge after a trade or something. If you recover low, Ivysaur can literally back air you every time you get to the edge with ease, and repeat infinitely until you finally die. So just use your double jump rather early if you get sent far off stage, and use your up B at a time/position where you have multiple options and the opponent will often have to read you in order to hit you. Also, use the up B at a time/position where u don't think they can hit you with back air.

This matchup is somewhere between 70/30 and 60/40 in Ivysaurs favor, in my opinion. Before yesterday, I thought it was 70/30, but I think it could feel like a 60/40 matchup or better with a little Ivy experience. Matchup inexperience makes many characters seem broken in PM, hence the "link is overpowered" johns by many players who lose to him. lol

And that's about it :) hope it helps, it even helped me by writing about it.
Nice work Poob

POOB

Smash Journeyman
Thanks
Yeah man, you absolutely had it. You got in your own head and botched two full hop cargo up throws because you missed the second jump. By the way the ledge drop side b against tether recoveries was ridiculous. Such a simple and effective idea.
Thanks, also, while hanging on the ledge, fast fall into up b works great, you just have to try to time it right to get the strong hit. Its risky vs ivy though.
And Yeah i had a lot of mistiming with my button inputs in that set, either way Darc is an amazing player lol

POOB

Smash Journeyman
This just in: Do a s*** load of back airs v.s. Zelda xD

Litt

Samus
This is just my speculation after watching strong bad and eli play and my own MU knowledge. It is in no way concrete and can be pretty biased. That being said I still believe that Dk truly does have a lot of even match ups when played correctly. A basic rule for dk is that he has a harder time against floaty or projectile heavy characters. If anyone else has input or disagreements with my placing, please let me know so we can provide jtm94 with an accurate mu chart.
Wow the DK boards are so much more organized than the ****ty samus board... also DK horrible MU against samus, very few combos are set, and ice missile spam wrecks DK even if you are m2k level at powersheilding, and samus has so many options to edgeguard DK

Returnofthemac

Smash Cadet
I consider myself to have a pretty good power shield game and I agree with you KLit, Samus is very hard to combo even when the samus has abysmal DI. The only way I can make this match seem close is to play on a smaller stage to close the space between them and apply more pressure so the projectiles cannot play such a heavy role. Also, Edge-guarding samus is very difficult for DK because Samus as so many options when off the stage and DK has to commit and read to make a good edge-guard. In order to have any chance in this MU, Powershielding is a must but more importantly capitalizing off of them. A good samus will be ready for the powershield and can crawl under missiles and punish. However, A lot of times the samus will simply shield it and that is where the punish comes into play. If the samus tries to shield the missile there is just enough time to land a grab or to reset the game back to a close spaced neutral. The idea here is to watch out for Samus' bombs on DK's shield because those things eat shields like its no ones business. Also watch out for Z-air spacing.

Overall the way I have found to win this match-up is to recover high and try to stay grounded and play the tilt spacing game. This is not a typical run in and combo the s*** kind of match-up. This match up is about applying pressure and spacing and controlling the pace of the match.

POOB

Smash Journeyman
You guys need to come to another smashing grounds again :p
Also i never played a legit Samus main, so i can't comment on what you guys said about it being terrible for DK. Too bad we didnt get to play any matches that time, KLit. We should play some friendlies next time.

Returnofthemac

Smash Cadet
Once school gets out for me Im gonna come a lot more. Its just a far drive from school but its only an hour from my house. The match up is difficult, but winnable. It really comes down to the smarter player here.

Jechtire

Smash Cadet
Anyone have some advice vs Diddy Kong
Played a Diddy named Tweak recently, and here were my findings:
- Nair is your strongest asset here, it beats out a lot of his moves and it stops bananas.
- Keep the pressure on, Diddy rolls all over DK if you let him set up.
- This is just a general Diddy tip, but if you have the chance to grab his banana, do it. You turn his biggest strength against him once you grab both his bananas. I like to throw his bananas upwards so it takes a bit before he has a chance to grab it back.
- Another tip, when you notice the Diddy you are fighting isn't trying to sweetspot, predict his end point. You can punish Diddy extremely hard with something like Cargo Throw Up > Fair.

BertEast

Smash Apprentice
- Nair is your strongest asset here, it beats out a lot of his moves and it stops bananas.
- This is just a general Diddy tip, but if you have the chance to grab his banana, do it. You turn his biggest strength against him once you grab both his bananas. I like to throw his bananas upwards so it takes a bit before he has a chance to grab it back.
- Another tip, when you notice the Diddy you are fighting isn't trying to sweetspot, predict his end point. You can punish Diddy extremely hard with something like Cargo Throw Up > Fair.
DK's good range and grab combo's can be hard for Diddy to get by, as well as DK's good CC game.
Offstage, DK can't do much to defend himself, and I recommend recovering high if possible

POOB

Smash Journeyman
Everything you said here is very true. I'll throw my 2 cents in as well for this matchup and our 2 posts combined should be enough info for the diddy spoiler :)

When I played Ninjalink's Diddy at Sktar, I did what you said about keeping the pressure on, but I did it in bursts. It was on FD, and Diddy's projectiles, when far enough, can't hit me when I full jump unless he gets closer. So, I would just jump around and charge my punch in neutral while he camped. This killed 2 birds with 1 stone. First, I prioritized having my punch charged in this matchup because cargo u throw to Giant Punch is so free against Diddy Kong and it is a complete momentum changer (to add on to what you said about punishing with cargo u throw to fair) and can kill easily.
The second reason this worked is a little harder to explain, but I feel it is an interesting thing to keep in mind so I will take the time to explain it clearly. Slowly charging your punch while moving around, maybe 1-3 swings at a time, Can have multiple psychological effects on your opponent. Which effect it will have solely depends on how your opponent plays. The reason it worked on Ninjalink, was because he started off the match spamming projectiles like crazy the moment the match started, and that is an extremely effective strategy V.S. DK. When I took my time charging my punch and dodged everything he threw at me without racking up any %, it gave him the feeling that his strategy wasn't working so I noticed he spammed less and instead tried to dash dance around while holding a banana to try to bait me another way. Whereas, if he continued to spam the way he originally did once I finished charging my punch, it would have worked much better. Another thing it may do, but unlikely v.s. a smart Diddy, is make them want to approach and hit you cause they don't want you to charge the punch. Lastly, Dk is simply scarier with a charged punch and can apply more pressure.

When trying to get in, I found going in and out with full hops to be most effective since dash dancing will just get you hit with bananas. Once he throws them at me and I notice he has no banana in his hand and they are below me, for example, I go in. But don't go in blindly v.s. Diddy because he has great dash dance speed. Always try to read his retreat or jump and run an extra quarter second or so before doing that shffl nair or grab.(just an example for punishing a predictable retreat)

Once you get that first hit, is when DK shines in this matchup, like many of his matchups. DK can combo diddy like crazy. Besides spacies, Diddy is arguably the next easiest character to u-air juggle with DK. This and the fact that full hop cargo u throw to fair/DK punch works at such a wide percent range are two reasons diddy could easily be in a death situation from one of DK's grabs or solid approaches.

Lastly, Jechtire is completely right about grabbing bananas. The combos and follow ups that DK can do with bananas are absurd. Most important to keep in mind is tech chasing with bananas and ground pound. At low % you can tech chase brutally, and at high percent you can kill with u smash or Giant punch after ground pound. Experiment yourself to find out what else he can do with bananas!

And that's how I beat ninjalink, despite this supposedly being an awful matchup for DK, which I now think is about even. Also, no disrespect towards Ninjalink. This post is strictly for learning and sharing purposes. In his defense, I don't think there are any relevant DK's in his region and he likely did not know the matchup at all.

Last edited:

Jechtire

Smash Cadet
you are doing gods work
I'd like to put my two cents in on the Mewtwo match up. This comes from a short experience with Emukiller, and my own experiences playing as Mewtwo in this match:

- Nair, as usual, is a huge factor in this match. You can use it if you feel as though the Mewtwo player is going to try to use tele-approaches.
- Mewtwo is floaty, and light. Make sure all of your punishes are on point, because you only need to get him with a Fair at %75> on a stage like Battlefield to kill him.
- If you can charge a donkey punch, do it.
- Don't ever go above him (This applies to most Mewtwo matchups)
- Using Nair as an edgeguarding tool is a decent option, but only if the Mewtwo has used his double jump already. Keep an eye out for this. Punish his recovery if he does not go for the ledge.
- A lot of Mewtwos will try to teleport out of combos. Teleport has 8 frames of startup lag. Keep up pressure, and force the Mewtwo to constantly guess.
- PowerShielding / Clanking his shadow balls can force Mewtwo to approach. Forcing him to approach can be beneficial to DK at times. His tele - hover approach isn't instant. You can challenge it as long as you are aware of it.
- Don't ever go too ham off stage, Mewtwo's offstage game is one of the strongest in the game. He can turn your edgeguard into a gimp for himself if you make one mistake. DK has a lot of trouble recovering against Mewtwo.

Last edited:

TreK

Is "that guy"
On the topic of Diddy :
Here are some ways to counter a banana
-avoiding it. Pro : very little risk. Con : you lose some stage control
-shielding it and then catching it in midair. (the banana bounces pff of your shield vertically, you just jump out of shield and catch it with Z, a nair, a bair or an uair depending on the situation) Pro : gets you the banana. Con : if the diddy is near enough, he can punish you for trying this.
-perfect shielding it. Pro : immediate retaliation. Con : slightly more technically demanding, especially since this is only useful at close range. If it fails, you can still catch it after it bounces
-clanking with it. Pro : looks good. Con : extremely difficult. You can only clank it with a disjointed move, like nair or ftilt. The banana still isn't yours after a clank.
-catching it (with a wavedash or a jab). Pro : pisses the diddy off. Con : as difficult as powershielding, except you won't get to use it in many other matchups.
-instant-toss it (do the same motion as the air glide toss as you're about to get hit by a banana in midair). Pro : can help you recover. Con : again, needs a bit of training.

What you can do with a banana :
-a glide toss towards your opponent. Pro : covers a lot of distance. Con : extremzly telegraphed. (back glide toss and forward glide toss have different glide lengths)
-an air glide toss. Pro : more versatile than a grounded glide toss.
-use B moves. Pro : keeps control of the banana longer. Con : DK's b moves aren't spammable
-toss it upwards. Pro : leaves it out of Diddy's reach for a while, especially if it lands on a high platform. Con : you aren't using it
-toss it downwards (while in the air). Pro : gpod shield pressure. Con : can be usmash oos'd
-ground footstool-air glide toss downwards. Pro : very good shield pressure. Con : I doubt many of you have a footstool button mapping since DK doesn't naturally profit from it.
-z-drop it. Pro : you can catch it with an aerial or just use it for shield pressure. Con : you're not using the banana's speed so much.
-do an fsmash (hold A during a wavedash, press the c stick, release A). Pro : not many people know about it. Con : situationnal.

That's all I got :3

Last edited:

BertEast

Smash Apprentice
Added all this to the Diddy Kong section. This is what I like to see. So, where would you guys put the Diddy matchup?
Diddy's favor slightly?

Planet Piss

Smash Journeyman
As far as Diddy goes, what I've noticed is that the better they get with bananas, the more obnoxious and simultaneously fearsome they become. Diddy's glide toss and throw animation are so good that Diddy's movement is synonymous with bananas flying everywhere. If the player utilizes bananas to a heavy extent then there is no way to simply avoid the bananas. It gets to a degree where you will either have to ditch your own combos so you don't slip on one or you have to pick it up and use it on him. DK throws at two miles an hour, so Diddy makes better use of his own bananas than DK. Suffice it to say that Diddy players have an inherent advantage with throwing that stuff around.

A lot of Diddys haven't moved past the gimmick stage of bananas in that they like to do things such as throwing two on a platform so you almost have to slip when you go on it, but nanners have so much more versatility than that. Like I said, Glide tossing is a movement option for Diddy so the more technical the Diddy, the lesser the amount of time you have to react and respond to getting **** thrown at you.

I've played a handful of good Diddys, and what I can say is that if he has both nanners on the ground, he can basically skate around (seriously, it looks like he's ice skating; the camera can barely keep up) and hit you into a smash move or worse. If you decide to catch and throw one, Diddy still has the other banana and can play with it much faster than you. He can tech chase on reaction much like every other character with throwable projectiles, but unlike Peach, Link, and Rob, Diddy is extremely quick and his combos involve intense mobility and not always center stage control. Oh yeah, and he makes you FALL ON YOUR ASS IF YOU **** UP.

There's this real gud MvC player I play semi-regularly, Dragoomba, whom hasn't had good PM showing as far as tourney results are concerned, but his Mahvel tech has transferred into bananas. I can't even see what he's doing most of the time. I don't know how annoying you guys' Diddy opponents are with bananas but this dude makes it so I literally cannot pretend the bananas aren't there. I have to pick them up and either play the item control game with him or throw them aside so I have a clear floor for uair combos and stuff.

Proper banana usage blurs the line between movement and attack. Instead of passively waiting for opponents to slip or sometimes glide tossing and throwing them aggressively, Diddy players can become more annoying (at least to DK) by zipping around and constantly moving them around while he shoots nuts and glide tosses into upsmash combos witch seem to work on everyone at low percents. **** Diddy. 60-40 IMO, can be closer to even if the Diddy plays like its Melee.

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
As far as Diddy goes, what I've noticed is that the better they get with bananas, the more obnoxious and simultaneously fearsome they become. Diddy's glide toss and throw animation are so good that Diddy's movement is synonymous with bananas flying everywhere. If the player utilizes bananas to a heavy extent then there is no way to simply avoid the bananas. It gets to a degree where you will either have to ditch your own combos so you don't slip on one or you have to pick it up and use it on him. DK throws at two miles an hour, so Diddy makes better use of his own bananas than DK. Suffice it to say that Diddy players have an inherent advantage with throwing that stuff around.

A lot of Diddys haven't moved past the gimmick stage of bananas in that they like to do things such as throwing two on a platform so you almost have to slip when you go on it, but nanners have so much more versatility than that. Like I said, Glide tossing is a movement option for Diddy so the more technical the Diddy, the lesser the amount of time you have to react and respond to getting **** thrown at you.

I've played a handful of good Diddys, and what I can say is that if he has both nanners on the ground, he can basically skate around (seriously, it looks like he's ice skating; the camera can barely keep up) and hit you into a smash move or worse. If you decide to catch and throw one, Diddy still has the other banana and can play with it much faster than you. He can tech chase on reaction much like every other character with throwable projectiles, but unlike Peach, Link, and Rob, Diddy is extremely quick and his combos involve intense mobility and not always center stage control. Oh yeah, and he makes you FALL ON YOUR *** IF YOU **** UP.

There's this real gud MvC player I play semi-regularly, Dragoomba, whom hasn't had good PM showing as far as tourney results are concerned, but his Mahvel tech has transferred into bananas. I can't even see what he's doing most of the time. I don't know how annoying you guys' Diddy opponents are with bananas but this dude makes it so I literally cannot pretend the bananas aren't there. I have to pick them up and either play the item control game with him or throw them aside so I have a clear floor for uair combos and stuff.

Proper banana usage blurs the line between movement and attack. Instead of passively waiting for opponents to slip or sometimes glide tossing and throwing them aggressively, Diddy players can become more annoying (at least to DK) by zipping around and constantly moving them around while he shoots nuts and glide tosses into upsmash combos witch seem to work on everyone at low percents. **** Diddy. 60-40 IMO, can be closer to even if the Diddy plays like its Melee.
I personally dislike Diddy having 2 bananas. ROB only gets one gyro and when there are two bananas out, it makes the game too focused on banana control, in my opinion. There's also the fact that some characters have way worse item control options than others (DK) that can lead to more polarizing match-ups.

BertEast

Smash Apprentice
I personally dislike Diddy having 2 bananas. ROB only gets one gyro and when there are two bananas out, it makes the game too focused on banana control, in my opinion. There's also the fact that some characters have way worse item control options than others (DK) that can lead to more polarizing match-ups.
Yeah, Diddy is an odd character in the way he plays, and I hate those banana's so much, since Diddy Kong's meta is surrounded by bananas.

GrizzleDrizz1ed

Smash Apprentice
DK Vs Olimar

DK is able to Trample over Olimar.
His Nair is a fantastic approach since his arms beat out the Purple Pikmin Toss.
Use a well spaced Fair for when he's holding the edge.
He has options when Olimar is returning Mid to Low. If Mid, a dash attack off the edge can put him out of reach of the edge. A Nair or Bair will also safely do the trick.
Jumping Cargo Throw off the edge followed by a Fair can net some early kills and has a high hit rate. If you ever grab and are able to do this, you should. DK is very safe here. Don't be afraid to go out far. Just stay high and you'll be fine.
Jab. Whenever Olimar is close, Jab. You can do a 2 hit into a grab even if he blocks. He's able to grab after your second Jab but it's good to switch up the number of Jab's you do.
If Olimar is out of DK's Jab range, Olimar can get a Grab in. To counter this, Dtilt. A Fair will also do the trick often if you read the grab attempt.
Fair L-Canceled into Jab - Grab is incredible as an approach as long as he blocks. If he doesn't block, he most likely will eat the Fair.
Toss out Bairs as pressure. You don't need to hit him but it will most likely force him to do something, which opens you up for an opportunity for a grab. This is best used when he recovers from the ledge.

Those are my tips on playing against Olimar. I know these work really well because I Main Olimar and my Opponent mains DK.

FYI - I'll be complaining about some things on the DK Social thread soon. Mainly about his stupid Grab Range streaching behind him and his Jab Range. Olimar can Almost not be able to grab him when he's jabbing. It's litterally like this > l l < much of a difference in spacing in order for Olimar to get the grab off.

P.S. DK is Bananas. He's definatly up there in the tier list.

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
DK Vs Olimar
Jumping Cargo Throw off the edge followed by a Fair can net some early kills and has a high hit rate.
Former DK main here. Those cargo fthrows and cargo bthrows are really DI'able. Cargo upthrow is much harder to escape, though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom