• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Don't be stupid on your way to MLG: A cautionary tale

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
I attended MLG Orlando, and I was a frequent poster in this forum, and on these boards, not too long ago. Some of you might have realized that I disappeared. Or, maybe some of you are just realizing it as I am bringing it to your attention. None the less, I would like to explain why.

Me, Boof, Axi, and Lil Chi, left MLG Orlando almost immediately after finals (against my will). It had taken 2 days to get down to Orlando (from NJ). Since Axi had work the very next day, we didn't have the luxury of stopping to rest on the way back. After driving for 7 hours, and not seeing anyone for a long time, I decided to speed. Well, it turns out that I decided to speed in the worst state, and the worst county for speeding in the US: Sussex, Virginia. It wasn't long before I was pulled over. I was arrested and spent two nights in jail. Axi, Boof, and Lil Chi eventually managed to bail me out. If I hadn't been bailed out, I would have spent the next month in that place, waiting for my court date.

All I could think about was how the hell I went from playing in a video game tournament with friends, to sitting in a jail cell with hillbillies and guys with no teeth. Nobody there was particularly fond of people from NJ either. Ironically, one of them actually was named Bubba! The scary thing was, I really didn't think I was going to get out. It wasn't exactly the best moment of my life. After this happened, and I had finally gotten home, my court date consumed my focus entirely. I dropped Smash, friends, and practically all forms of recreation, so I could get everything ready for my court date. The highest punishment you can get for speeding in VA is a year in prison! I got a lawyer, took a defensive driving course, and printed a copy of my transcript, which has good grades. My court date was a week ago, and I'm happy to say that I'm not in jail, obviously. I was given 50 hours of community service, and various other tasks to perform. I have to finish all this stuff before I have to drive myself all the way down to VA again for one last court date. Surprisingly, I didn't lose my license, or get any points.

Now that all this is finally out of the way, I would like to announce my return to Smash and to Smashboards (not like it's that big of a deal, lol). I'm finally going to be making my way out to tournies again.

It's pretty apparent that the moral of this story is don't speed! But, more specifically, be careful when traveling across state lines. You don't know what their laws are, and you don't know how different things might be. I think this topic comes up at an appropriate time, because many of you are going to be getting your licenses soon, and I'm sure you are all going to be rushing to Smash tournies. Drive carefully fellow Smashers. That is, unless you want to spend the night with Bubba, or possibly kill yourself.

DON'T SPEED IN VIRGINIA........seriously.

Saltix

Smash Lord
How much were you speeding bro?

EDIT: Darn you ADHD I wanted the first post lol

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
Dude, you seriously get in THAT much trouble for speeding in Virginia? Dude, in Los Angeles you can go 20 above the limit next to a cop and get in a street race with him.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
That's hilarious.

Hopefully you learned something from that experience.
No reason to speed.

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
How fast were you going...?
I got a ticket for going 99. I had been traveling at 80. I decided to see what my car could handle and stepped down a little harder at the worst time imaginable. I had been driving for a looooooong time in the middle of nowhere. Felt like my eyes were going to fall out. Hadn't seen anyone for like 30 mins. Literally as soon as I accelerated I got pulled over.

Forgot to mention that this was like 2:30 in the morning, on a desolate I-95. Speed limit was 70.

Dude, you seriously get in THAT much trouble for speeding in Virginia? Dude, in Los Angeles you can go 20 above the limit next to a cop and get in a street race with him.
Yes, lol. It was my first speeding ticket too.

The cops at the police station where I am doing community service told me that the punishment was ridiculous. In Jersey, you would get 3 points and be on your way.

That's hilarious.

Hopefully you learned something from that experience.
No reason to speed.
Indeed. .

Sensei

Smash Lord
That sucks man. Virginia is no joke. I drive like a grandma when im there. Anywhere else I'm a lunatic. I got bored coming back from a tourney in PA and decided to test my car coming back in NJ. I went up to 140 mph on a 65. It was dumb scary. im not really a lunatic driver, that was the only time and last. I didn't get pulled over though thankfully, probably would have lost my license. Even worse, if any sort of instability happened while driving, it wouldn't have been pretty. That was probably the dumbest thing ive ever done in my life.

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
That sucks man. Virginia is no joke. I drive like a grandma when im there. Anywhere else I'm a lunatic. I got bored coming back from a tourney in PA and decided to test my car coming back in NJ. I went up to 140 mph on a 65. It was dumb scary. im not really a lunatic driver, that was the only time and last. I didn't get pulled over though thankfully, probably would have lost my license. That was probably the dumbest thing ive ever done in my life.
Haha, that's exactly what it was for me: something I've never done before, and will never will do again. Unfortunately for me, there was a cop to see it :( I'm also not a lunatic driver, which is why it sucks so bad, because I don't usually do stuff like that.

140? Jeez, I'd be crapping my pants. What kind of car are you driving?

DUB

Smash Lord
Somone got arrested in VA for speeding on their way to HERB 1. Don't remember who it was. I'm driving around VA from now on.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Man, that's depressing. I'll make sure none of us Nova Scotians are speeding when we drive down for Apex, just in case lol.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
Um, it's illegal to use a radar detector in virginia and trust me they are looking for them

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
It still amazes me that there are still people that don't know you don't **** around with speeding in Virginia.

You'd think the stories would get out more.

I'm trying to remember who DUB is talking about. I remember hearing that tale, as well.

-Ran

Smash Master
So true. I got 2 tickets in the same day, then I got my radar. Haven't gotten one since. It's payed for itself time and time again.
Radar detectors and laser detectors are illegal in the state of Virginia. You are subject to a fine and confiscation of the unit even if it is turned off or if radar detectors are legal in your home state.
So extreme. -.-

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Nova also has those **** speeding cameras right under DC

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
this is the reason why i tell people to never drive long distances, and to just fly if you can. The temptation is too much...

your bros are mad legit man

Um, it's illegal to use a radar detector in virginia and trust me they are looking for them
LOL WHAT are you serious?

i am so asking my neighbor about his VA adventures

he was actually pulled over in VA and they still fined him a ticket even though he was military

B0NK

Smash Lord
he was actually pulled over in VA and they still fined him a ticket even though he was military
That's not enough in VA. You better be showing that military ID first, have 2 bumper stickers supporting the troops and law enforcement, the license plate, and better be the nicest person you ever been if you want to get off with a warning LOL

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I sympathize with the OP. It's unrelated to speeding, but unlike the OP, I was totally innocent. Months and months of time consuming legal procedures. Completely unwarranted. It's a draining experience.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Only speeding ticket i've ever gotten was in Falls Church, VA for doing 47 in a 35 right before it turned to 45, it was 125 bucks

VA is some **** *****

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
That's not enough in VA. You better be showing that military ID first, have 2 bumper stickers supporting the troops and law enforcement, the license plate, and better be the nicest person you ever been if you want to get off with a warning LOL
......i seriously cannot believe this ****

good thing my dad helped him[my neighbor] out with the legal stuff pertaining to his car when he moved here:)

Mike2

Smash Ace
Actually after reading your post and this whole thread, I think the moral of the story is: Virginia sucks :p

AtticusFinch

Smash Journeyman
From reading this, I am pretty sure VA's main source of income is ticket fines.
^Win lol
And I'm making a not to drive around VA, I don't have to $ to get bailed out or pay a ticket, imagine winning the tourney just to pay off the ticket with it xD

~Atticus

Mr. Game and Watch Jn.

Smash Rookie
Final Destination, Waiting for Master/Crazy Hand
I don't think anyone would now want to live in VA at this rate. :p
But still, I've never been to the U.S.A (I lives in England) but just reading the posts VA seems like the last place you want to go for avoiding fines.
We can safely say, if you are going into VA, make sure you've got plenty of money in your wallet. :p (and that there's no way you'll find a loophole in their speeding fines...)

Duo55

Smash Ace
lol Wow, after reading this I feel like I got off scotch free. I got a ticket 2 yrs back for speeding on I-85 in virgina going 89 in a 65 0.0; but I know a guy that went to jail for going 120 in a 70 zone, they got him for reckless driving, and INTENT TO KILL just for speeding! (granted 125 is pretty ridiculous but still) he was in jail for an entire year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom