• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Don't you hate when people mock you in 1-1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
Had no idea people got offended from taunting.

I've taunted since I played the original on 64. I almost always taunt when I kill someone, especially when I connect with a fully charged Wario Waft.

I don't taunt during the match, only as soon as I know I've knocked out my opponent for sure.

I do taunt when playing Team Glory, only at the very end of the match when I know 100% that my team has won based on calculating the scores in my head. It's just funny in slow motion when someone's trying to attack you and you see Wario sticking his butt out.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Had no idea people got offended from taunting.

I've taunted since I played the original on 64. I almost always taunt when I kill someone, especially when I connect with a fully charged Wario Waft.

I don't taunt during the match, only as soon as I know I've knocked out my opponent for sure.

I do taunt when playing Team Glory, only at the very end of the match when I know 100% that my team has won based on calculating the scores in my head. It's just funny in slow motion when someone's trying to attack you and you see Wario sticking his butt out.
I a lot of us don't really get offended by taunting, it is just in certain situations where we take offense. Like if you taunt after I SD or taunt twice or more in a row, I will take offense to that.

NairWizard

Somewhere
I only taunt when I lose a stock in a match, to psych myself up for the remaining stock.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
I was in a lobby with a guy earlier who was better than me. Naturally I don't have a problem with that, but on about our third match or so he self-destructed. Looked like an honest mistake. I self-destructed too to even it up. He may have been better than me, but that's not the way I wanted to win.

HE TAUNTED
Uh, yeah, people do that. It's obviously a gesture of respect/gratitude. I taunt back as acknowledgement after an SD, and after a few seconds of crouch dancing, we go back to fighting. My signal to resume a fight is to short-hop forward and spotdodge, seems pretty universal.

A friendly taunt makes things go a long way. I've always tried to keep things friendly, regardless of whether I'm playing someone completely incompetent or a skilled douchebag. Eventually, the douchebags warm up to you and become friendlier (or maybe simply less condescending) over time.

Last edited:

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
I a lot of us don't really get offended by taunting, it is just in certain situations where we take offense. Like if you taunt after I SD or taunt twice or more in a row, I will take offense to that.
Well, I can't say I've never taunted when someone suicides...

But when I use Wario, taunting becomes part of my gameplay. I've used Wario's laughing taunt when guys have committed SD before or when I managed to connect a Wario Waft out of nowhere.

Otherwise, I find his butt mooning taunt to be hilarious but I tend to only do it when the Team Glory match is over and the slow motion is going on.

emoinua123

Smash Rookie
NNID
emoinua123
I'm trying to de-stressify after what happened...

So some jerk used Dark Pit. Ok fine. He beat me, but I was fine with that. Next battle he used Shulk. I came close, but he'd beaten me again, and I was fine with that. Then the jerk started to use villager, which was the character I was using during this and the other battles. Did I feel insulted? Yes. Was he better than me? Yes. Did I get really angry after he won? Of course!

I left a comment in one of his miiverse post saying: "I get that you're better than me, but you don't have to be a jerk and mock me."

Gosh I hope no Smash experts are like this...
Just keep practicing ,and keep your kindness.
You will people people who are pros that trolls by Making the game last the whole time limit, camping, and taunting.
Never let those people destory you passion to smash.

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
What I don't understand is when people who are CLEARLY losing(as in, high % on their last stock with you having more than 1 stock left) taunt you after they finally kill you.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Just keep practicing ,and keep your kindness.
You will people people who are pros that trolls by Making the game last the whole time limit, camping, and taunting.
Never let those people destory you passion to smash.
I highly doubt those players are pros.

I find myself somewhere in-between mid-high level play, and I don't play the time limit.

Last edited:

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
...ever consider that they just pocket villager?
Did you just?
Can't resist a joke-- ah, but it's almost a shame that there isn't a way to really tell intentions. Whether a taunt after an SD's meant as sympathetic or mocking, whether a character switch is someone moving to a main, is to make some point, is to teach, or is to mock you... I mean, in the end, the vagueness is what's maddening, more than anything. It's easy to assume better of someone if they mimic you here or there or if they're playing several close games with a similar playstyle... but when we can't see ourselves in others, it's hard not to assume the worst, given the landscape of so many modern multiplayer games.

Personally, I use taunts by reflex the second after I connect with a killing blow from time to time if the adrenaline's going and whatnot, and, beyond that, I just use it as a general 'stop that' message-- like when you inevitably watch another Little Mac Jolt Haymaker SD... which, honestly, is common enough to get its own acronym, by now. Have a few exceptions, though-- like F!Robin's 'time to tip the scales', or Wario's bike taunt any time I ride it fully offstage (because Wario's just ridiculous), or Luigi's in futile attempts to spike with it... et cetera. If someone SDs through a misclick or the like, though, I normally just duck by the ledge, as a sort've 'welp, that sucks'. Tend to duck a lot as Kirby, but mostly because the squish sound is just too fun. I tend to use empty shorthops from a bit of distance to indicate a 'start', though, if there's some pause for a dance-off or some such thing.

Shoyo James

believe in the buge
I remember battling a really good Megaman on 4g and he happens to be my main as well, and the first match I was using Luigi, so I switched to Megaman afterwards to see who played him better. A lot of the time, there's no reason so assume the other player is being disrespectful or something. I'm sensitive in a lot of ways but it's best not to be oversensitive about things like this. If they were saying rude things in their name-tag box then that's a different story.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Can't resist a joke-- ah, but it's almost a shame that there isn't a way to really tell intentions. Whether a taunt after an SD's meant as sympathetic or mocking, whether a character switch is someone moving to a main, is to make some point, is to teach, or is to mock you... I mean, in the end, the vagueness is what's maddening, more than anything. It's easy to assume better of someone if they mimic you here or there or if they're playing several close games with a similar playstyle... but when we can't see ourselves in others, it's hard not to assume the worst, given the landscape of so many modern multiplayer games.

Personally, I use taunts by reflex the second after I connect with a killing blow from time to time if the adrenaline's going and whatnot, and, beyond that, I just use it as a general 'stop that' message-- like when you inevitably watch another Little Mac Jolt Haymaker SD... which, honestly, is common enough to get its own acronym, by now. Have a few exceptions, though-- like F!Robin's 'time to tip the scales', or Wario's bike taunt any time I ride it fully offstage (because Wario's just ridiculous), or Luigi's in futile attempts to spike with it... et cetera. If someone SDs through a misclick or the like, though, I normally just duck by the ledge, as a sort've 'welp, that sucks'. Tend to duck a lot as Kirby, but mostly because the squish sound is just too fun. I tend to use empty shorthops from a bit of distance to indicate a 'start', though, if there's some pause for a dance-off or some such thing.
Did you just use my post as a response to a bad pun?

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I'll never be a douche to people online. I never even taunt, unless the other person taunted first and it's a bit of comeuppance they're getting. ;)

If someone SDs early, I'll ALWAYS throw myself off the ledge to even the stock. I'm not here to win, I'm here to IMPROVE...

I wish there was some easy way to talk to other players online. Many times, I've wanted to ask someone to continue playing a specific character because I NEED the practice against it but there's no way to communicate that until after they've accepted my friend invite. :\

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
Did you just use my post as a response to a bad pun?
Only since you'd before caught the 'like no one ever was'. Didn't want to be saying 'did you just' without indicating I was referencing you. No idea the etiquette on that.

emoinua123

Smash Rookie
NNID
emoinua123
Taunting is fun when you take a stock when you win it. It isnt fun when the player mocks you .

Last edited:

Arle Nadja

Prodigy Sorceress & Girl Power Icon
NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
I taunt people all the time. I don't have this issue with pissing people off because my taunts are derpy jokes.

Somehow Falco saying "Get Some" is entirely offset by the floating text above his head reading, elegantly, 'I can't even'. If someone has edgy taunts, I just pop my 'u wot m8' taunt and my 'totally radicool' taunt and continue playing the game. Somehow nobody ever takes them seriously~

D

Deleted member

This has happened to me lots of times when playing 1 vs. 1 For Glory matches. I just don't like that, but oh well.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I taunt people all the time. I don't have this issue with pissing people off because my taunts are derpy jokes.

Somehow Falco saying "Get Some" is entirely offset by the floating text above his head reading, elegantly, 'I can't even'. If someone has edgy taunts, I just pop my 'u wot m8' taunt and my 'totally radicool' taunt and continue playing the game. Somehow nobody ever takes them seriously~
I think we're talking about randoms, though. People can't see your taunts in randoms. :\

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
i can see how that would be annoying, but when somebody consistently beats me and then switches to my character i think of it as a chance to learn new strategies for my main.

and from his point of view, sometimes (in order to not be rude) i am actually forcing myself not to use my main even though i really want to. if the series of matches goes on long enough, eventually i'll just "to hell with it" and finally whip out my main.

ZobmieRules

Smash Cadet
I'll never be a douche to people online. I never even taunt, unless the other person taunted first and it's a bit of comeuppance they're getting. ;)

If someone SDs early, I'll ALWAYS throw myself off the ledge to even the stock. I'm not here to win, I'm here to IMPROVE...
/salute

We need more men like you, sir.

Honestly, I didn't think too hard about this stuff, but because of you people, I'm going to strive to be a more honorable Smasher. (Not that I did the things mentioned here previously.)

This may be more relevant in it's own thread, but how do you guys react to taunting? That seems to be the point of a lot of frustration here. I taunt a lot, I use it whenever I can. I find it fun, something I can do while I wait (for whatever reason makes me wait). I don't do it maliciously. (Unless the other player's being a ******.) Do any of you get pretty miffed by taunting? Only when the player is being rude/dishonorable? How/when do YOU taunt?

Last edited:

Zol

Smash Apprentice
when people use the same character as me i always take it as them wanting to mirror match

so i jump off the stage on purpose

i ****ing hate mirror matches

especially against For Glory players

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
This may be more relevant in it's own thread, but how do you guys react to taunting?
It doesn't bother me because I'm sure many people consider it tradition, but I still don't do it cause it's just not my style.

I might bow once after I KO someone to kind of say "Good stock", but that's about it (and I hope they interpret it that way).

I think the OP was more annoyed with someone switching to his main as if to say, "Look, I'm even better at this character than you are!"

People play FG for different reasons. I see it purely as a training ground for future tournaments (if I ever have time to enter them) and I'm always looking for sparring partners to help me improve.

I'll happily lose thousands of times to someone who's not a douche about it because I know I'm getting better with every game. I had a few online friends like that in Brawl but it's much easier to acquire them now that Nintendo is at least using user IDs instead of godforsaken friend codes.

And hey, in another three console generations, they might even have voice chat DURING the game like every other gaming platform does, right? :p

Koggy

Yoshi Adept
A friend of mine and I sometimes do things like this in 2v2s. First match we will play secondaries, if they win, we switch to mains to destroy them, if we win, we switch to characters we like but aren't very good at. If we win again, we switch to random. If at that point we win one more time, we will switch to their characters. After that, if we defeat them, we change our names to "Good games :)"
and take our leave. Wins are nice but I dont think it's very fun for the opponents to lose to better players constantly. We dont taunt unless taunted to, but if someone does taunt us, we don't leave, we win until they do. Maybe it's league of legends nature.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Only since you'd before caught the 'like no one ever was'. Didn't want to be saying 'did you just' without indicating I was referencing you. No idea the etiquette on that.
Ah. That's fine. More popularity for me. I'ma try and make that a new thing.

emoinua123

Smash Rookie
NNID
emoinua123

I agree with your statement .Whenever I taunt in a game, I usually do it with good sport when I win a stock. However, Personally I don't really think taunting can make a player pissy. What makes player pissed out in my own opinion would be taunting (from the post above) is how a player trolls by Copying that same character and rubbing their skill on you and leaving.
Bad sportsmanship equals pissed of players.

Last edited:

emoinua123

Smash Rookie
NNID
emoinua123
when people use the same character as me i always take it as them wanting to mirror match

so i jump off the stage on purpose

i ****ing hate mirror matches

especially against For Glory players
I feel you man.

Bakasama

Smash Apprentice
When my opponent is playing a character, and I'm exposed to that character long enough (I switch frequently online for fun, it's not like I have anything to prove with the input delay) eventually I think "That character might be fun" and I switch to it. But if my opponent spams rolling or something idiotic, I will occasionally swap to their character next round to insult them. Punishing a roll IRL is pretty easy, punishing a roll online is like grade-school option-select and frustrates me to no end, even if they never gain anything from the roll spam.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
What's up with the sensitivity guys? If you're outplayed in a ditto you have no one else to blame but yourself. Furthermore, being outplayed by someone using the same character is a great way to learn new tricks with your character, don't get pissy at him for being better than you, try and learn from the experience, what did he do that you didn't? If you're just throwing a hissy fit everytime you're beaten or you take everything personally you're going nowhere fast with your Smash skills.

Last edited:

Mrkaoz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrkaoz
I played against a player who was mocking me the whole match. He kept taunting and stuff, but then I kicked his ass and taunted back. God it felt gooooood.

Spec7re92

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spec7re
I never try to copy someone's character if I could help it, for that reason alone.

Hell, if I'm somehow consistently beating them I'll go to using characters I don't think I'm that good with to even it up, and so I have a good reason to improve with them.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
I never encounter dittos since I switch mains every match regardless if I win or lose. But if it does happen i'll use it to learn.

no sense crying over it though tbh

truth be told, most For Glory players deserve to get mocked
Chances are that includes you too.

I wish there was some easy way to talk to other players online. Many times, I've wanted to ask someone to continue playing a specific character because I NEED the practice against it but there's no way to communicate that until after they've accepted my friend invite. :\
I only taunt after someone else does it too or 2 stocked a guy at the end and that's it.

What's up with the sensitivity guys? If you're outplayed in a ditto you have no one else to blame but yourself. Furthermore, being outplayed by someone using the same character is a great way to learn new tricks with your character, don't get pissy at him for being better than you, try and learn from the experience, what did he do that you didn't? If you're just throwing a hissy fit everytime you're beaten or you take everything personally you're going nowhere fast with your Smash skills.
Ikr, I haven't encountered any yet but i will take it the way you did as practice.

John Sorci

Smash Rookie
NNID
johnsorci
I don't get offended if someone beats me with my own character. I actually usually save those matches so that I can go back and watch and figure out HOW he beat me. I take it as learning.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
you know, when i joined this site, getting stalked everywhere by dumb 14-year-olds seeking my attention wasn't what i had in mind

shouldn't you be in school anyway
I don't want your attention. (Who does?) You said most for glory players deserved to be mocked and since the chances are you played For Glory that means you should be mocked too.

SkyArcobaleno

Smash Rookie
Honestly, just learn from what happened, practice, and make sure this doesn't happen the next time. I've had it happen to me as well but i just keep practicing in hopes that it won't happen again.

Zol

Smash Apprentice
I don't want your attention. (Who does?) You said most for glory players deserved to be mocked and since the chances are you played For Glory that means you should be mocked too.
obviously you desperately want my attention if you feel the need to derail nearly every thread i post in. daddy not spending enough time with you or something?

you need to cut that **** out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom