• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doomsday Partical Accelerator (LHC thread)

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Haven't you ever seen movies? You can never trust scientists!

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Smashboards Doomsday Party!
Quickly, confess to your true loves before we all die.

Seriously though, I can't wait to see what happens.

OP's Article said:
The physicist Martin Rees has estimated the chance of an accelerator producing a global catastrophe at one in 50 million -- long odds, to be sure, but about the same as winning some lotteries.
You feeling lucky?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Looks like I'll be asleep when it goes off.

Well, if we do all die, I hope you all know how much I love you guys.

Which is not at all. I hate you all.

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
No, no.... You got that wrong.
There are several scenarios that could aid in the doomsday from the LHC.
1. Is very similar to an "Ice 9" scenario in which a chain reaction will start. This happens because strangelets are incredibly balanced particles and when they come into contant with another particle of matter it almost instantly reconfigures it into a strangelet as well so that would just keep happening and by the time we know it we would all be strangelets.
2. The black hole phenomenon is the one most people talk about. When super high energies are being exerted MANY black holes are created and then evaporate very quickly. We have actually been creating many black holes for quite some time now. The only thing people are worried about is that the black hole might find stability. This is quatum physics so you really can't rule out the possibility but it is SOOOOOOO minute you can almost say it won't happen. Almost.

On another note they calculated that if a stable black hole DID form it would take 4 and half years to consume the earth. Strangly enough can anyone think of a popular date for dooms day in 4 1/2 years?

12-12-12, the famous day predicted by the Mayans and other religions would be the end of the world.
Now THAT is coincidental!

Sporkman

Smash Ace
I think someone said 1-4p.m. GMT

EDIT: Wiki says 7:30 GMT but doesn't state whether it's a.m. or p.m., I'd imagine a.m.

M@v

Subarashii!
wait....its tommorow a 9AM... CRUD
http://webcast.cern.ch/index.html

"LHC First Beam - 10th September 2008 - 9am CEST (GMT+2)"

On another note they calculated that if a stable black hole DID form it would take 4 and half years to consume the earth. Strangly enough can anyone think of a popular date for dooms day in 4 1/2 years?

12-12-12, the famous day predicted by the Mayans and other religions would be the end of the world.
Now THAT is coincidental!
its actually 12-21-12 btw but still...DOUBLE CRUD.
Also, the mayans didnt predict the end of the world, its a change in its cycle, not the end of it^_^. Im pretty sure the planets aline that day if im right.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I've heard that the experiments that could actually cause these cataclysmic events don't happen til October.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Vsyse is right, they're just shooting a light around it tomorrow (or something like that). The collisions happen next month

Andromeda

Smash Lord
They've already made the test (which was a success). The real experiment won't be done in a couple of weeks, but now they know that they can make the protons travel trough that machine at 99.9% of the speed of light.

M@v

Subarashii!
Yeah.... will people stop saying the worlds gone tommorow? When it doesn't, they say "O, the real test is in 2 weeks." When that goes perfectly fine they will say"They gotta test it some more. THAT black hole IS going to form, even it its after 3000 tests!!!"

I dont think they built that monstrosity to do just one collision, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
The black hole would consume the earth within 10-15 minutes and the galaxy shortly there after.

As everyone has said, it is only a matter of time. For those that don't know they want to build a second Hydron Collider (that is even bigger than the first) so if this one doesn't get us the next probably will.

All of this for the sake of knowledge, how selfish. This won't help discover a renewable energy form or an alternative for fossil fuels... it is just a bunch of scientists who would put the earth at risk for the sake of knowledge.

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
The black hole would consume the earth within 10-15 minutes and the galaxy shortly there after.

As everyone has said, it is only a matter of time. For those that don't know they want to build a second Hydron Collider (that is even bigger than the first) so if this one doesn't get us the next probably will.

All of this for the sake of knowledge, how selfish. This won't help discover a renewable energy form or an alternative for fossil fuels... it is just a bunch of scientists who would put the earth at risk for the sake of knowledge.
I hope you're joking with everything you just said...

First off a Blackhole smaller than an atom would take much longer to consume to world, like I said 4 1/2 years. How do you supposed a blackhole could consume the galaxy shortly after? There are a ton of blackholes in OUR galaxy... Further more did you even think about how long it would actually take considering our galaxy is about 60,000 light years across for a black hole to do something like that? It would take at least 60,000 years at least... Or maybe things CAN go faster than light... hm....

As for people wanting to build another Hadron Collider thats completely ridiculous. In fact they said they if they don't find what they are looking for even IF there was more money and time to invest into it the LHC could produce so much energy making a bigger one wouldn't matter. The LHC IS, I repeat IS the FINAL particle accelerator for study purposes.

Onto your final note, EVERYTHING is for the sake of knowledge. Everything we do, every time we breathe it's so we can live longer and learn more. The LHC wouldn't uncover something dumb that no one cares about it could help us understand how GRAVITY works. It may help us understand EVERYTHING about the atom. Right now our theories are all based off of the Standard Model, this can either help it or destroy it. It WILL do one of the two. So at least from the LHC we can progress in some direction. Maybe everything we have been doing has been wrong and that's fine :p at least we will know now.

Also we are dealing with Quantum Physics. For all you know at any given time you could theoretically disintegrate and reform on Mars. You can't really rule something out like that. The chances of the Earth being destroyed are very minimal. CERN actually stopped the project for a couple months and ALL they did was run tests on how small the chances were. There is almost no chance.

Sorry if my response to you sounded angry or mean, but a lot of people have similar opinions so it's just to help clear some things up.

EDIT:
Just to let people know, we have been creating blackholes for a while now, I believe around 30-40 years. The blackholes just evaporate quickly because they are unstable. The only worry is if it's a stable blackhole... and the chances of that are very minimal.

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
I was just doing some calculations and I have made an
IMPORTANT AND RELEVANT PHYSICS DISCOVERY

Coneys are awesome.

Zodiac

Smash Master
The Black Hole wouldn't be able to sustain itself.

Maybe something cool will happen though. Maybe it'll kill all the scientists nearby, or maybe it'll open a gateway to another dimension or something.

Now that would be cool. :laugh:
And then the mist happens... yay

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I was just doing some calculations and I have made an
IMPORTANT AND RELEVANT PHYSICS DISCOVERY

Coneys are awesome.
Dear lord Coneys are great, I hope that's the result from the test

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
You see..when the universe was formed, godly coneys were shot out in all directions at the speed of light. The coneys of today are cheap artist's renditions of the originals, though tasty. So, scientists are trying to recreate the scenario, but this time they will try to catch the coneys in their mouths when it happens.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
The problem is that they might make "anti-coneys", also known as just hotdogs. If the coneys and anti-coneys come into contact with each other...the nuclear fallout would be catastrophic. No sun for years

Zodiac

Smash Master
I hope you're joking with everything you just said...

First off a Blackhole smaller than an atom would take much longer to consume to world, like I said 4 1/2 years. How do you supposed a blackhole could consume the galaxy shortly after? There are a ton of blackholes in OUR galaxy... Further more did you even think about how long it would actually take considering our galaxy is about 60,000 light years across for a black hole to do something like that? It would take at least 60,000 years at least... Or maybe things CAN go faster than light... hm....
where do you get the information that a black hole would take that long to consume the earth? Wouldn't the fact that the more it consumed the faster it expands cut down the original 4 1/2 year to 1 or 2 years. Not to mention once about half the earth is consumed ( At the 2 year mark) there's no way it could remain stable like it is now. And of course the reduced mass would cause gravity to be radically altered to an unlivable condition.

Bottom line is it doesn't matter how long it would take to consume the earth, it matter how long it would take until it ripped apart enough of it that the planet would destroy itself.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
The Black Hole wouldn't be able to sustain itself, unless the power of the machine was still on.
Haha, I could imagine some scientists conversation:
Scientist 1:Hey dude, who is in control of switching off the machine again?
Scientist 2:That would be Scientist 3.
Scientist 1:Did you know that he always forgets to shut down the lights of his car.....
Scientist 2:..... ****!

Darkslash

Smash Master
2nd worst possible thing that could happen.

This particle accelerator opens up the TWILIGHT REALM!!!11 and then we get turned into what the twilight realm makes us into D:

Though i doubt it will make a black hole.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
Gravity equals some constant (K) multiplied by mass one + mass two over the distance between the two masses squared.

g=k((m1+m2)/d^2)

Even if they do create the hyper dense particles believed to make up black holes, there is absolutely no way the particle could have enough gravity to sustain itself, It has been noted that when black holes do infact emit radiation ( Hawking radiation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation),

Here's an equation P=(hc^6)/(15360piG^2*M^2). P is the energy emitted, H is planks constant, C is the speed of light, G is a gravitational constant, and M is the mass of the black hole.

The smaller the black hole, the more radiation it emits, thus requiring a minimum critical mass to sustain itself.

A black hole can't form on earth because it is too small. Think about it, Jupiter is a gas cloud consisting primarily as hydrogen, (same as the suns fuel), yet Jupiter does not burst into spontaneous fusion reactions nor will it ever on its own, because it is too small.

Critical Mass for a black hole to be self sustaining is at least that 10 times as great as the sun. Smaller black holes will gradually decay. Seriously, the worst that could happen (as i think was mentioned already) is the LHC reaches an unstable condition and explodes.

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
Gravity equals some constant (K) multiplied by mass one + mass two over the distance between the two masses squared.

g=k((m1+m2)/d^2)

Even if they do create the hyper dense particles believed to make up black holes, there is absolutely no way the particle could have enough gravity to sustain itself, It has been noted that when black holes do infact emit radiation ( Hawking radiation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation),

Here's an equation P=(hc^6)/(15360piG^2*M^2). P is the energy emitted, H is planks constant, C is the speed of light, G is a gravitational constant, and M is the mass of the black hole.

The smaller the black hole, the more radiation it emits, thus requiring a minimum critical mass to sustain itself.

A black hole can't form on earth because it is too small. Think about it, Jupiter is a gas cloud consisting primarily as hydrogen, (same as the suns fuel), yet Jupiter does not burst into spontaneous fusion reactions nor will it ever on its own, because it is too small.

Critical Mass for a black hole to be self sustaining is at least that 10 times as great as the sun. Smaller black holes will gradually decay. Seriously, the worst that could happen (as i think was mentioned already) is the LHC reaches an unstable condition and explodes.
exactly. ;)

we are not going to all die, but man its going to be interesting what this thing finds.

Top Bottom