• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Double Battle Team For Official Nintendo Tourney

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
There's a official Nintendo tourney coming up soon, and I've been practicing with making some various teams for it.

The rules are as follows:

• 4 v 4 Double Battle (You are allowed to enter the event with 6 Pokemon that you must specify to Nintendo ahead of time and switch between battles)
  • Level 50 or Lower (No level matching)
  • Item Clause
  • Species Clause
  • All items allowed including Berries 1-61, except Soul Dew is banned
  • The following Pokemon are banned: Mewtwo, Deoxys, Mew, Rotom, Tyranitar, Dialga, Lugia, Palkia, Ho-Oh, Giratina, Celebi, Phione, Kyogre, Manaphy, Groudon, Darkrai, Rayquaza, Shaymin, Jirachi
  • If someone ends the match by using a move that kills both Pokemon, the one that used the attack looses, like Explosion, Destiny Bond, etc.
Here is a link to the tournament page: http://www.pokemonvgc.com/en/events/05.html

So normally I wouldn't want to reveal my team, especially considering some people from SmashBoards are going to the tourney, but I could use the advice (I don't normally play double battle). Plus, no one can have a team designed to beat just me, as they would be forced to use that throughout the whole tournament. And I can always add two more Pokemon to my team to switch up the style. Plus, a truly good team should be able to win regardless if your opponent is prepared or not!

Clefable @ BrightPowder
Magic Guard
Bold - 252 HP, 252 SDef, 4 Def
Follow Me
Cosmic Power
Minimize
Moonlight

Honchkrow @ Leftovers
Insomnia
Careful - 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SDef
Perish Song
Protect
Mean Look
Sucker Punch

Ambipom @ Life Orb
Technician
Jolly - 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
Fake Out
Last Resort

Latias @ Lum Berry
Levitate
Timid - 252 HP, 252 SDef, 4 HP
Recover
Psych Up
Dragon Pulse
Sucker Punch

I would explain it but I want to see people comment on it first to see what they think about it and see if I can counter the weaknesses they provide with the strategy I use with it.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
your gonna be owned by trick room/ obi mode. (even if insomnia)
if your using lum berry, it has to be on your lead, so the effect of smeargles dark void does not work
follow me/evasion/perish song wont work because of double hitting moves like heat wave and especially surf, due to the popularity of raindance teams.

why make latias timid, and then invest in special defence and hp.
u should just use calm, and invest evs in speed, so you don't lose stat points

oh, and cleafable clearly isnt THAT good a wall, that it wont die easily.

ambipom just sickens me. it has no strategy but fake out, and last resort for stab 130 bp of a life orb and hopefull 299 attack. it is frail, gets owned by trickroom, and is outclassed by the like of even infernape,weavile, and ludicolo. not to mention it gets owned by ghosts (dusknoir)

a single weavile with support is able to rip through this team

also, aside from honchcrow, explosion with 375 bp will own this team.

with latias, 180ish attacking suckerpunch wont do a thing.

another thing is, trickroom with the standard machamp also rips through this team with noguard.

i dont even know what your trying to accomplish with this strategy. it seems all over the place and innefficient, as the opponent has various method of dealing with this set.

for this pokemon tournament, you need more hax strategies. hax trickroom/obimode, or hax raindance.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
What is obimode?

As for trick room, I don't see it being too much of a problem. A lot of the moves I use are priority moves, which still work first in trick room.

The way my team works is that I start off with Clefable and Ambipom. I use Fake Out w/ Ambipom on whoever I see as the bigger threat of the two while I have Clefable Minimize. This gets me to have Clefable with +2 Evasion (cause of Brightpowder), good damage on one of the opponents, and I stop one of their first turn setups if I predict which Pokemon is going to do something, which isn't hard to do.

From here on out Ambipom is ready to sweep anything that isn't Steel or Ghost, and it's rare to find two of them out at the same time. I continue to buff up Clefable with Minimize and Cosmic Power. With Clefable buffed I can use Follow Me to protect any teammate that is out. I keep Ambipom out until he dies. In the rare situation there is a Ghost and Steel, I can use Follow Me to safe switch Ambipom to Honchkrow. Honchkrow can then start his combo with Mean Look - Perish Song. I then stall out the turns by keeping Honchkrow alive with Protect and Follow Me (typically when Honchkrow protects I will be able to get a Moonlight in on Clefable to help her stay alive).

At this point I can bring in Latias after Honchkrow takes out the two opponents, or I would be able to use Latias before Honchkrow. If I ever decide to use Clefable + Latias, Latias can Psych Up Clefable's increases from Cosmic Power and Minimize.

I realized that I had a problem with hit all attacks which is mainly why I invested in SDef for Latias, since Surf hurt a bit. I didn't have to worry about Earthquake because of Levitate.

The only things I'm really scared of with this team is Explosion (though I can normally kill someone before they explode or hope it misses with Minimize)

The reason I have Lum Berry on Latias over Leftovers is because of the item clause.

c3gill

Smash Ace
Clefable @ BrightPowder
Magic Guard
Bold - 252 HP, 252 SDef, 4 Def
Follow Me
Cosmic Power
Minimize
Moonlight

honestly.... I dont see it happening. Chances are your not going to get to a 2nd Minimize, as soooo many teams are running Explosion/ghost combo leads. even if you do, i can all but assure you that someone will be running a Hail team (100% accuracy on Blizzard) or a rain team (100% accuracy on Thunder), etc.

Honchkrow @ Leftovers
Insomnia
Careful - 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SDef
Perish Song
Protect
Mean Look
Sucker Punch

Good thought, but not finished. If you want to use this set, i see no reason not to use wobbuffet, rather than Mean Look. Krow has a LOT of issues, I dont know if you are going to have an opportunity to get off Mean Look+ Perish Song.

Ambipom @ Life Orb
Technician
Jolly - 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
Fake Out
Last Resort

doesnt work nearly as well as you think. Walled by..... wayyyy to much, and its just a weak pokemon in general.

Latias @ Lum Berry
Levitate
Timid - 252 HP, 252 SDef, 4 HP
Recover
Psych Up
Dragon Pulse
Sucker Punch

im thinking...... wtf? this is a really weird set to run, the EVs/Nature are throwing me off, and pysch up is just an awkward move choice, but it works.... IF Clefable is still alive.....
Thoughts.

Honestly, Im not impressed. Chibo, I think you can do much better. Have you been playing lots lately in doubles matches, to practice your team? Did you notice any big issues, things that walk over your team? Weather teams (not SD or SS, so much) are much more prevelant in doubles, as are TR teams (Curse is hell!)- Im assuming both give you trouble.

Id definatly love to help you out on this, as I am a much better doubles player than I am singles (wish I could go to one of these tournaments :(), if i can help with anything just pm me.

edit- wayyy to much Sucker Punch. Give Krow Night Slash, or something. Sucker Punch isnt that good of a move, as is doesnt do ANY damage if your opponents pokemon doesnt attack.....

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I'm new to doubles which is why I haven't settled on a strategy yet, but I've been playtesting this team quite a bit and haven't found any problems. The main problems I came across was whole battlefield moves like Surf hitting the Pokemon I was trying to protect with Follow Me, but I changed my EVs accordingly and made sure to keep an eye out for it.

Sucker Punch is too good. It works if either of the opponents attack, and the chance that atleast one of them attacking is really good. And if their down to one Pokemon left, they normally don't have many other options. It's awesome on Honchkrow with the Stab and decent attack. It's also good to get that move off after the Perish Song combo for some quick damage before the opponent takes him out. With Latias I normally stick with Dragon Pulse, but I wanted a priority move, and Sucker Punch is Latias' only option.

The Ambipom slot can be replaced by multiple sweeping Pokemon, but of those I have tried, Ambipom seems to be working the best so far with Fake Out first turn (to help Clefable setup) and then having a crazy awesome stab move that can 2HKO most Pokemon, and finish off whoever it Fakes Out.

Top Bottom