• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Double jump height research

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
WARNING. This may be inaccurate; I was "eyeballing" it the whole way. My method was to bounce off a spring and then double jump and to record the height gained (I obviously did every character several times to get a "feel" for it). The heights are in stage builder blocks. The characters with multiple jumps have more error. Some characters bend their bodies in odd ways so they're a bit hard to tell. I hate to preface research with all these notes about how it could be wrong, but I'm just a bit unsure about this. It's useful enough that I feel as though I need to post it anyway. I found some of these results pretty surprising.

Mario: 1.5
Luigi: 1.75
Peach: .5
Bowser: 1
Donkey Kong: 1.25
Diddy Kong: 1.75
Yoshi: 2.75
Wario: 1.25
Link: 1
Zelda: 1
Sheik: 2
Ganondorf: .75
Toon Link: 2
Samus: 1
Zero Suit Samus: 2
Pit (jump 2): 1
Pit: (jump 3): 1
Pit: (jump 4): 1
Ice Climbers: 1.5
R.O.B.: 1.75
Kirby (jump 2): 1
Kirby (jump 3): 1.25
Kirby (jump 4): 1
Kirby (jump 5): .5
Kirby (jump 6): .25
Meta Knight (jump 2): 1
Meta Knight (jump 3): 1
Meta Knight (jump 4): 1
Meta Knight (jump 5): .75
Meta Knight (jump 6): .5
Kirby and Meta Knight total about the same; they were VERY hard to tell how high each jump goes. Consider Meta Knight's .25 "advantage" in total rounding error.
King Dedede (jump 2): 1
King Dedede (jump 3): 1
King Dedede (jump 4): 1
King Dedede (jump 5): .5
Olimar: 1.5
Fox: 2
Falco: 1.5
Wolf: 1.25
Captain Falcon: 1.25
Pikachu: 1.75
Squirtle: 1.5
Ivysaur: 1.5
Charizard (jump 2): 1
Charizard (jump 3): 1
Lucario: 1.5
Jigglypuff (jump 2): 1.25
Jigglypuff (jump 3): 1.25
Jigglypuff (jump 4): 1
Jigglypuff (jump 5): 1
Jigglypuff (jump 6): .5
Again, this was REALLY hard to tell heights for single jumps, but Jigglypuff definitely gets more height than Kirby and Meta Knight.
Marth: 1.25
Ike: .75
Ness: 2.25
Lucas: 2.25
Mr. Game & Watch: 1.25
Snake: 1.5
Sonic: 1.5

Average jump height (single jumpers only): 1.492424...
Average jump height (total): 1.820513...

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
I'm pretty sure Ness' DJ is slightly higher than Lucas'...

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Is the height meant to be vertical or horizontal or both? Also, the numbers that you have at each side of the characters, are those representing a block? Also,

Amazing Ampharos said:
The characters with multiple jumps have more error.
What does this mean?

Amazing Ampharos said:
Some characters bend their bodies in odd ways so they're a bit hard to tell.
Why is this relevant?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
It's relevant because it's harder to figure out how high they go; it doesn't affect how high, but it makes his job harder because he was eyeballing it.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
As for the first part it's simple because he could double jump twice from the same height that he had to do more prediction on how much of a block they went up. Or see from a different starting point too.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
An alternate method that might be more helpful would be to place a fall-through platform perpendicular to the top of a wall of blocks forming a shape like so
Code:
 _
|
|
|
|
Then, have characters drop through the platform, and (recording everything) have them just such that their DJ allows them to just pass through the platform and land on it. Since no one seems to have a jump that is higher than two blocks, you could then put blocks horizontal at a depth of maybe four blocks down, so as to have a place for characters to land, should you mess up.

This, I think, is a better method, as it indicates with a fair amount of accuracy what height they game thinks the character has achieved with the jump. That is more important than what you see.

ColinJF

Smash Ace
Is the height meant to be vertical or horizontal or both?

height
   /haɪt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [hahyt]
–noun
1. extent or distance upward: The balloon stopped rising at a height of 500 feet.
2. distance upward from a given level to a fixed point: the height from the ground to the first floor; the height of an animal at the shoulder.
3. the distance between the lowest and highest points of a person standing upright; stature: She is five feet in height.
4. considerable or great altitude or elevation: the height of the mountains.
5. Often, heights.
a. a high place above a level; a hill or mountain: They stood on the heights overlooking the valley.
b. the highest part; top; apex; summit: In his dreams he reached the heights.
6. the highest point; utmost degree: the height of power; the height of pleasure.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I'm pretty sure Ness' DJ is slightly higher than Lucas'...
It actually looked like the opposite to me, but it's really hard to tell because they're really close (definitely within my margin of error). Lucas does have a significantly higher fall acceleration and a less favorable arc in terms of horizontal movement so his probably seems worse when you use it in real matches.

The heights are purely vertical and measured in stage builder blocks. Body shape matters because the characters themselves have size which can be non-constant, and when they contort, you can't just watch a specific part of their bodies. Error is the "margin" around each number I gave where the real internal value could be; it's a standard of scientific research. I did not specific a margin of error, but whatever it is, it's bigger for the multiple jumpers.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Interesting. Sadly I'm not surprised by Marth's below average rating.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Gratz to Peach for the lowest second jump...

Also, for ZSS you can press up-B and use second jump at the same time to gain much more height.

Adapt

Smash Lord
Gratz to Peach for the lowest second jump...

Also, for ZSS you can press up-B and use second jump at the same time to gain much more height.
and Fox can fair to gain height, Lucas can Zap jump... I guess it would be a good idea to include these things

Crystanium

Smash Hero
It's relevant because it's harder to figure out how high they go; it doesn't affect how high, but it makes his job harder because he was eyeballing it.
Is that an answer to both of my questions? What has the bending to do with the height of the jump? Is this, for example, like how Link jumps in an usual position, that this affects the height of the jump? I'd think that after the first jump is performed, that as Link, in this example, is in the position to where he is laying horizontally, that he should jump again. Or, we could be more technical and wait for the character to return to his or her falling position to solve this problem...maybe.

To my other question, which was unanswered,

Dryn said:
Also, the numbers that you have at each side of the characters, are those representing a block?

Barge

All I want is a custom title
It'd be more conveniant if you organized it by the height.

Highest to lowest, lowest to highest. One of those.

J4pu

Smash Champion
An alternate method that might be more helpful would be to place a fall-through platform perpendicular to the top of a wall of blocks forming a shape like so
Code:
 _
|
|
|
|
Then, have characters drop through the platform, and (recording everything) have them just such that their DJ allows them to just pass through the platform and land on it. Since no one seems to have a jump that is higher than two blocks, you could then put blocks horizontal at a depth of maybe four blocks down, so as to have a place for characters to land, should you mess up.

This, I think, is a better method, as it indicates with a fair amount of accuracy what height they game thinks the character has achieved with the jump. That is more important than what you see.
I like this method, it seems much more accurate as far as how the game reads it rather than what it looks like.
not that the OP did bad or anything, this just seems better.

Aeropup

Smash Apprentice
ColinJF, that dictionary quote made me laugh so hard. heh.

-----------------------------------------------

Jigglypuff: 5*

Meta Knight: 4.25*

Kirby: 4*

King Dedede: 3.5*

Pit: 3*

Yoshi: 2.75

Ness: 2.25
Lucas: 2.25

Zero Suit Samus: 2
Sheik: 2
Toon Link: 2
Fox: 2
Charizard: 2*

Diddy Kong: 1.75
Luigi: 1.75
R.O.B.: 1.75
Pikachu: 1.75

Mario: 1.5
Snake: 1.5
Sonic: 1.5
Ice Climbers: 1.5
Olimar: 1.5
Falco: 1.5
Squirtle: 1.5
Ivysaur: 1.5
Lucario: 1.5

Donkey Kong: 1.25
Wario: 1.25
Mr. Game & Watch: 1.25
Marth: 1.25
Wolf: 1.25
Captain Falcon: 1.25

Link: 1
Zelda: 1
Bowser: 1
Samus: 1

Ganondorf: .75
Ike: .75

Peach: .5

Jigglypuff (jump 2): 1.25
Jigglypuff (jump 3): 1.25
Jigglypuff (jump 4): 1
Jigglypuff (jump 5): 1
Jigglypuff (jump 6): .5 (Total of 5)

Meta Knight (jump 2): 1
Meta Knight (jump 3): 1
Meta Knight (jump 4): 1
Meta Knight (jump 5): .75
Meta Knight (jump 6): .5 (total of 4.25)

Kirby (jump 2): 1
Kirby (jump 3): 1.25
Kirby (jump 4): 1
Kirby (jump 5): .5
Kirby (jump 6): .25 (total of 4)

King Dedede (jump 2): 1
King Dedede (jump 3): 1
King Dedede (jump 4): 1
King Dedede (jump 5): .5 (total of 3.5)

Pit (jump 2): 1
Pit: (jump 3): 1
Pit: (jump 4): 1 (total of 3)

Charizard (jump 2): 1
Charizard (jump 3): 1 (total of 2)

Aeropup

Smash Apprentice
Have you seen jigglypuffs jumps in SSB64?

Shortest **** jumps I ever see'd.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
lol, Fox's double jump is higher than Falco's

Top Bottom