• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doubles advice for ROB

Lizard_Buttock

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1925-1807
I'm entering a doubles tournament soon, but I don't really have much experience with ROB in doubles. I need some advice with doubles-specific tactics for ROB and advice with doubles in general. Could some more experienced ROBs give some advice?

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Play against your partner a lot. Not only will it make you two work better together, an easy result is that your opponent learns your pattern for shooting lasers. If your partner doesn't know the general style around your laser, you're either not gonna be able to use it or you're going to be interrupting your partner all the time with lasers.

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
My partner and I fight often. He plays Falcon. He goes in and fights them up close while I pick off the stragglers while they're softened up. I provide cover and assistance with Gyro and Laser. I also try to stay back and stock tank if I can.

I think one of the things ROB can be really good at in Doubles is the fact that he can actually supplement his partner with a very dangerous item. Especially Ganon. Ganon with Gyro in hand can put on a lot of mental pressure because blocking Gyro leaves them open to Side B or other command grabs.

And if customs are on, ROB can take point in the sky with High Speed Burner.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Could anyone confirm or deny whether or not Zelda/R.O.B would be a decent pairing? Maybe it's redundant because their objectives are similar... While both struggle a fair bit against rushing characters, maybe Zelda's phantoms to keep them away, R.O.B's N-air for spacing, and their general strategies combined, they could whittle their opponents down?

Last edited:

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
My advice is play a different character.

If you really want to play ROB in doubles, I recommend partners with high mobility or the ability to capitalize off of laser very easily even if they happen to get hit by it (Yoshi, Wario, Sheik, Falcon and that lot). If you are stuck with something less desirable (big, huge characters are bad partners for ROB because he will accidentally hit them a lot), I recommend you be very restrained with your attacks. Focus on spacing and lightly punishing your opponents for trying to gang up on your partners. If they come after you, focus on defense and escape. Do not try to engage both directly often because you often hit your partner when they try to come in due to how large our most protective hitboxes are. ROB is not much of a killing machine in doubles. You want to facilitate for your partner mostly. Uthrow and dthrow are mitigated due to how slow the are, allowing for opponents to save each other from them often.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Perhaps you could try having a Ness (or potentially Lucas!) as a partner? Not only would it be fitting given the upcoming character, so you'd probably be able to partner up with someone, Ness can actually heal off of R.O.B's lasers with his PSI Magnet. That, and I think you could potentially help him get in with his combos against other teams.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
Lol
Laser is a full screen, linear, transcendent projectile.
It can be bucketed.
It needs less than 15 secondes to do and it's safe.

STOB

Master of Robots
NNID
Stobby_Beeles
In my opinion, R.O.B. just isn't worth it as a doubles partner. Especially if you are a zoning-ROB. I usually switch to Falcon when in a doubles situation.

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
I think it depends on your style of R.O.B. Like I play a lot of footsies with Rob's tilts and short hop Nair to maintain space really well when people get close to me then after one ftilt I go back to projectiles and covering my partner across stage. You gotta use your weight to your advantage avoiding kill attempts by the enemy team and punishing there attempts; do not engage from a neutral stand point. This seems to work for me real well. Utilizing lasers to help your partner get out of bad situations, also grantting him opportunities, and maintaining stage control are the main selling point of having a rob as your partner I think. Your team mate should be someone with a great punish game and or very fast imo work best.

Last edited:
Top Bottom