• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down B Hand Slap and its uses

Pan!c

Smash Rookie
How and when do you use Down Special? When do you think it should be used instead of other attacks?

Discuss!

Veggi

Smash Champion
I use it after downtilts and for punishing rolls and dodges.
This, when people are behind me, when they stand in front of me thinking I can't hit them, to punish when you don't want to get close to something, to cancel ground based approaches, hitting people out of one of those ground travel moves (Sonic's spinny things ect.)

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I use it to punish characters, who like to roll behind me and to prevent approaches from the ground

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
If you have your back to the edge, this covers all their CONVENTIONAL options except jumping. If they jump, bair.

Master Raven

Smash Master
I also like to use this on characters who approach from the ground a lot, and this includes MKs as well because we enjoy the ground just as much as the air. I think this is one of DK's best and most underrated moves.

Wrap It Up

Smash Apprentice
Punish rollers and those that try to airdodge in. With good spacing this move is great even though you can get better effects with Ftils/DTilts/UTilts. In can do alot but does it worse than the other moves in his arsenal

5yphon

Smash Cadet
i dont really use this move......... it has some starting lag and finishing lag i find it alot easier to just f-tilt but i have never tryed it after d-tile ill give it a shot

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
I use it to stop people from trying to dash attack or dash grab me. I also uses it to trick my opponents into thinking to go into the air, I stop early and just smack them with DK's giant hands. Just to trick my opponent really, I rarely use it.

Revven

FrankerZ
I use it against people that are shorter than me or when I believe they are going to least expect the Down B. I used it against an Olimar the other day and it shot him up in the air just like I wanted him to. With how grabby Olimar is, I used the Down B for when he was about to approach me with a grab or approach in general. It's a great set up and can be used defensively as well, especially when you have your back turned. It can set them up in the air for double Bair or Bair>side B. It's really useful, you DEFINITELY want to abuse its long range as much as possible. It makes people think twice about approaching DK.

Atsu

Smash Ace
As long as you don't become too predictable with it, it's an amazing move. If they go for a ground approach, it usually ruins it and sets you up for an aerial if you're fast enough. But it's 14%. I'm not going to argue with that ;D

I've also been using it after a SideB if they're low on percent. That's a free 40% :o

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
If you side b them and then down b them does one press of b hit them twice? Do they take damage for when each of DK's hands smack the ground?

Tujex

Smash Ace
When playing someone who runs around a lot like Sonic, or players who roll and spot dodge a lot. I spam this move to prevent their approaches. It also owns Snake broken dash attack. It's more of a punishing move for those who love to spam more than it anything.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I usually never use it. I think down smash, ftilt, dtilt, etc. are always better options. I hate the lag of down B, and I'm always scared that they might short hop attacke me... and I don't want to risk anything.

chubb-o-wub

Smash Journeyman
After a dtilt if they trip at low-mid percentages. It pops them in the air for some bair (if behind me for odd reason)/nair (when they're in front & need other moves refreshed) action. IF they're at a high percent, I usually go to dtilt, I love this move, and if they trip, which is why I like the move, to headbutt to make them even more helpless and mess with their mind, to either Fsmash or DK Punch if it's charged. Fun-much?

blakinola

Constantly Delicious
I use this move if they are still blocking out of some dtilt spam.

Still trying to find the right time to use it against MK. He's so fast.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
I use it with My ganon partner to attack while ganon death chokes. I can get in 45% on heavies whiole they're ont he ground writhing in pain because I start when Ganon grabs them. THeir feet get ***** while ganon inserts columns of death-pain down their throats. It took a while to memorize range, but it ***** in team battles. also, what blink said, lol

magikguy

Smash Lord
well i use it when their at the edge so i'm sure to hit or if i see they are going to jump i got my tilted forward tilt ready. i use it alot on snakes its too good vs him .

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I started using down+b a lot after a regular down throw at low %'s. I'm not sure if it's a true combo but the guy I've been using it against hasn't jumped out of it any at fairly low %'s. Even if it can be jumped out of you just forced your opponent to waste their double jump and now they're in a perfect position to be punished.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
d-throw at 0% to d-tilt to down-b is a true combo on some characters, does 30%, and is my trademark combo

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Thanks I'll start using the Ripple combo. Could you d-tilt twice if they trip?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Thanks I'll start using the Ripple combo. Could you d-tilt twice if they trip?

they are usually too far away for another d-tilt immediately, you would have to walk a few steps to reach them for some reason, even if they do trip. on some of the heavy characters you should try for 2 d-tilts because they trip at a higher %.

The Director

Smash Lord
DKs down b is the closest thing he has to a projectile.

I'll use it here and there, its a shield eater. I'll mainly use it quickly and won't draw it out too much.

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
I won't be so quick to use it if my opponent tends to jump and spend more time in the air, but if I need a move to reach out and touch a ground-approacher who's trying to stay just out of my range, V b is a good move to throw in. It's not spammable lol but it gets much more usage than it's Melee counterpart.

Top Bottom